Start by marking “Tell Me Where It Hurts” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Where It Hurts

Tell Me Where It Hurts

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Bestselling author J.R. Rogue returns with her second volume of poetry, Tell Me Where It Hurts, a raw, heartbreaking, and honest glimpse into the demons she has faced in her 33 years.
Paperback, 1, 100 pages
Published July 10th 2016 by Radiant Sky Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Where It Hurts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Where It Hurts

Talon
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not too crazy about poetry. A little bit here and there in the book I am reading is good enough for me. But J Rogue has a way with words. She manipulates and twists them into the type of words your soul needs to hear at the right exact time.

I read these poems off and on for about two weeks.

Slowly. Calmly.

I embraced them and swallowed them whole. Don't read this all in one setting! Savor it and make it last. Make it count.

Maybe it was the frame of mind I have been in these last couple of
Ashley
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, loves
Review published on: https://5171milesbookblog.wordpress.c...

Let me tell you where it hurts, it hurts within the pages of this short book of poetry.  I've never rushed to write a review as quickly as I needed to with this book.  It begged to be written while the emotions were still fresh.  JR Rogue should be proud of Tell Me Where it Hurts. From the moment of reading her dedication, I knew I was going to love this book: "For the Caged Birds.  If I can sing, so can you."  It evokes emotions I had
Lisa
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I was gifted an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Tell Me Where It Hurts By: J.R. Rogue is pure poetry addiction! Rogue makes dark and broken hauntingly beautiful. The emotions that she puts into her writing shows its nothing but the truth,she doesn't shy away from what is raw, what is real!

Each poem speaks volumes of beautiful words about being broken and you can't get any more real than that 5 stars for this poetic masterpiece.
Beatrix
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, poetry

Tell Me Where It Hurts is so far my favorite poetry book by J.R. Rogue. While generally love & romance are her topics of choice, here she deals with a heavier topic (abuse).

I'd like to share the opening poem of the collection, which is probably my favorite of all. Love it!
Tell me where it hurts
Deep in your dermis?
This world is full of victim
shaming/blaming/DEGRADING
& you can't quit scratching at that spot
just above your ruby highways & back alleys.

Where your blood slithers & whis
Aude Odeh
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, usually with the poetry I read, I will post some highlights to my snapchat and Twitter. As a teacher, I wanted to, but I couldn't. There are a lot of sensual and sexual and violent themes in this book that were so well done, but I couldn't bring myself to post them. They were rough and raw and full of truths.
Madalyn Beck
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tell Me Where It Hurts - 5 stars

This hurt. My chest was aching as I read about the sorrow, heartache, and daily struggles. About all the places we hate to go inside ourselves. To taste those sore spots all over again.

J R Rogue has always been one of my favorite poets, but this book... It will cut you hard and deep. You'll feel the tragedies and the self doubt that lingers inside all of us. You'll fall under waves of guilt and regret, but most importantly the truth. The words so many of us have s
Sophia Hanson
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TW: Sexual Abuse, Rape

I knew I was going to like this book. I have been following J.R. Rogue for quite some time, so I was familiar with her work and knew I liked it. I was not, however, prepared to fall madly in love with her work. Which I did.

J.R. Rogue is a poetic genius. There is a lot of mediocre poetry out there, but even if the majority of her peers were as talented as she was, she would still stand out. Her style and voice is striking, familiar, foreign, unsettling, and hypnotic all at
Isabelle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone go read this book!

Rogue's poetry is fragile and brave. She describes herself as playing Russian Roulette with her body, and the hints of things she has been through suggest pain has been a game of tug and pull her whole life.
This book does not shy away from blame, social critique, feminism, opinion, or raw emotion.
I really appreciate that this book has been written and I am in love with this beautifully orchestrated writing.
Rehan Abd Jamil
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Sometimes it's okay not to feel okay..after all we are only humans..
Trish | Heart Via Pages Blog
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, blogged, arc
Beautiful. All consuming. Raw. JR Rogue’s poetry is as striking as always but it is also real and hurtful. She plays with the realest of emotions, the most intense kinds of pains and inject those into her pieces. She capitalizes on the ugly, the dark, and the painful that we went through or might still be going through and acknowledges that the darkness exists and that we are not alone. From the ugly and the dark, she has created such beautiful words woven into beautiful pieces that will shake ...more
Kei • lovelypagesreviews •
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-copy, 2016
5 stars!

This is my second book from J. R. Rogue and OMG I love everything about the way she writes and her poems just speak to me.

This one was raw but beautiful at the same time. I don't have much to say, there's no right or wrong way to review a book of poems but if you're not familiar with the author you need to start following her either on Instagram or Facebook, she posts her poems online and you'll be hooked!

The first book of poems I read was La Douleur Exquise and I was hooked. Tell Me Whe
Arrianne
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
so full of raw emotions. grateful to have read this.
Layla
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with poetry in high school and then took over a decade break from reading it. That was until I stumbled across J. Rogue's work.
Her words are full of so much feeling and emotion.
I once expressed that I felt like she was writing my pain. She takes experiences and grief and turns it into art.
Although it can feel like running water over a burn it also feels like relief and hope all in one breath.
This book was raw and meaningful. It comes highly recommended!.
Pari
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC from the author. Originally written on Pari's Books!

I have been a huge fan of JR Rogue and her poetry on Instagram. She is an inspirational woman; for me, to open up and write what I'm passionate about: life. check her poetry out on her Instagram and check out her website and show her some love! She is really active on social media, so be sure to follow her.

I received this book a long time ago and had read it a long time ago, as well. But, time did not permit me to write a rev
Alyssa
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I honestly have no idea what this book was about when I started it. I thought it was about love, because that's what most poetry books are about. Boy, was I so wrong.

Tell Me Where It Hurts is a book that contains various poems about sexual assault. It's beautiful and sad and depressing. I commend the author for writing about this topic. I'm sure the process of writing a poem about a heavy topic such as sexual assault isn't as easy as writing a poem about love. J.R. Rogue managed to bring out the
Lindsay Rae Meier
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tell Me Where It Hurts was different than I expected. I knew the subject matter going in. I've experienced the subject matter going in. As I was reading, all I could think was how beautifully Rogue presented such a dark and ugly subject. I admire her for coming forward, for being 'a caged bird who can now sing.'

For such a raw, real, and sensitive subject matter I expected myself to be more emotional. I am typically the girl who cries during rom-coms, TV commercials, and pretty much anything of
Trudy Stiles
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
JR Rogue’s poetry is like nothing I’ve ever read, or experienced. Because that’s what it truly is – an experience. Her words are haunting and foreshadowing. Each poem is an ode to the dark side in all of us and dives directly into our souls. She’s doesn’t shy away from showing the demons that haunt her. She draws us in because we can relate to those demons, and embrace them. She gives all victims of violence, anxiety and depression a voice they can relate to. Tell Me Where It Hurts is wonderfull ...more
Naroba
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The pain in this collection of poems is palpable. How gut wrenchingly beautiful to bare your truths in such a way. I never knew poetry was a thing I enjoyed until Rogue.
Jami Mathis
This is my third JR Rogue book. The first two I really enjoyed. This one I felt.

The book description says "Tell Me Where It Hurts, a raw, heartbreaking, and honest glimpse into the demons she has faced in her 33 years." And its not kidding. I felt every one of those emotions while reading this book.

Here are some of my favorite quotes I took a screenshot of while reading this book....

"Give me five minutes & I will show you just how deep you can fall into my nothingness. Give me five minutes &
Madge
I feel like J.R. Rogue has stolen my heart from my chest (OUAT style) and has been squeezing it since the moment I started reading this.

I don't think this is a poetry book I'll be revisiting, because it hurt to read. It was beautiful and very well written, but also raw and painful. The words have burrowed into me and I feel haunted.

I definitely recommend this one, and I'm anxiously waiting to be able to order a couple of physical copies of her books because the e-books are not enough. I'm not
Krystle Able
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read much poetry since High School but I stumbled upon J.R. Rogue through Tarryn Fisher and Tell Me Where It Hurts was the first poetry collection I picked up by her. I was drawn to this collection because of the title and cover. This wasn't going to be a collection of sappy love poems. This was going to be a collection of poems that, just like the title suggests, hurt. I was not disappointed in my assumption. J.R. Rogue leaves a piece of her soul on every page of this book. I felt eve ...more
Amber
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TRIGGER WARNING: sexual assault, rape, incest, etc.

I broke down twice while reading this book. All the tears. All the chills. Sad, raw, beatiful, everything all at once. I am starting to think that JR Rogue will never disappoint. She deserves all the recogition in the world. I give her credit for owning her story and using her trauma to help others who need it most
Leila
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*

I read this over a period of time, her way with words are so powerful they haunt you, deep, raw and beautifully scripted.
I love that she isn't afraid to share real honest emotions, that touch you on a deeper level, you feel it in the darkness.
I'm not one for poetry but the way she puts her words to use, I will always go back for more.

Skye
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I can feel it in my roots;
I gave birth, in a nightmare,
to unlovable things.
They breed in my belly;
tiny birthdays, every day.
I am the undead mother
have choked on.”

5 stars.
Courtney ullman
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb reading material, in my opinion. Her words evoked hard and raw emotion. with each turn of the page I felt as if I was reading about myself.

wonderful author and poet, can't wait to read more of her work.
Monique
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart-wrenching

J.R. Rogue has a way to tear into your heart and rip at your soul until you are a sobbing mess.
Hayley
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful work, very heart-wrenching to read these poems but I felt every bit of emotion they wanted to share.
A.D. McCammon
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The feels

Rogue gives you all the feels with her words. I thought the personal quotes were beautifully heartbreaking. Loved it & I want more.
Jovana Đermanović