Start by marking “Goddess of the Rose (Goddess Summoning, #4)” as Want to Read:
Goddess of the Rose (Goddess Summoning, #4)

Goddess of the Rose

(Goddess Summoning #4)

When modern-day Mikki ends up in the strange Realm of the Rose, Hecate has been waiting for her. So too has her gorgeous guardian beast, who soon has Mikki swooning. But to save the realm, Mikki will have to sacrifice her life-giving blood.
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley Sensation (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Goddess of the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess of the Rose

Start your review of Goddess of the Rose (Goddess Summoning, #4)
Maya
I tried, I really did. I even picked it back up, after a few previous failures but by God, could she please stop talking about those fucking roses. Seriously. I felt like all I read about were those roses and how she grew them. Ghh. I did hear it gets better after the first half, but by then I just didn't care anymore. Sadly a DNF for me. :(

Jessi
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
First Line: "Once upno a time, when men still believed gods and goddesses walked the earth, Hecate, Great Goddess of Night, was granted dominion over the crossroads of man."

I just keep enjoying Cast's Goddess Summoning series. They are such a different type of romance. I was particularly tickled reading this one because the hero is not a man, but a beast. This story combines the ancient mythology of the goddess Hecate and the well-known fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast. The beauty, Mikki, is a
Charlotte Phillips
No matter what, I will always be a fan of P.C.Cast. I find her books to just always be vivid with life, imagination, creativity and mystery. She writes always with this sense of romance within her pages, but not in a way that is cheesy or boring, but in a way that is both intriguing and refreshing. She always gives her characters this huge sense of life to them that makes them more interesting to read, because she makes them come to life in the readers mind so they are not just worded ...more
Donna  Sanders
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
So, I'm a complete Faery Tale freak and a big fan of Roses and Hecate and all. I asked my Roommate beforehand what she thought, if I would be offended or pleased. She gave me a noncommittal answer, and since it wasn't an outright pan, I read the book.

I remember getting to a certain point and thinking, "hrmm... I think the author was a Dianic at one point" as her rituals are very close (even verbatim in some areas) to the Dianic rituals I'm used to. Then again, the Dianics didn't originate those
Lisa Lap
I've had a love / hate relationship with the Goddess series books. Some of them have been wonderful and others have made me want to throw the book across the room. This one fell somewhere in between. I thought the story was intriguing but a lot of the characters left me cold and weren't really given a three dimensionsal life to make me want to explore why they might be giving off that cool indifference. The heroine, Mikado, is a thrown into a world she loves where her job is to care for the ...more
Brittany
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Out of all of the Goddess Summoning series this book is the one that tugs on my heart strings the most. It has been several years since I first read this book and now the second time through it still brings me to tears. I love this book. It is a twist on the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast one of my favorites. P.C. Cast does a great job breathing new life into the tale. I hope you love it has much as I do!!

Yup, third time through and I still cry each time. I love this story and I cannot wait to
Andrea
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD BEAUTY AND THE BEAST RETELLING!

There was so much magic and mysticism in this book, it was awesome. I loved how Mikki was swept off to the magical Realm of the Roses. P.C. Cast always manages to bring mythology alive in different and innovative ways. I loved Mikki when I met her and I thought her erotic dreams of a beast man were quite unique. I really enjoyed the romance in this and I am super supportive of the message being about acceptance, love and trust. (view spoiler)
Alex
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this installemnt in the Goddess Summoning series and it has quickly become my second favourite book in it - only topped by Goddess of Spring.
This book tells the tale of Mikado, a modern american woman, who by a chain of events is transported to the magical Realm of the Rose where she is to rule as the high priestess of the Goddess Hecate. But there is more to her new job and the realm she is to govern than there seems to be; the same is true for the Guardian who protects the
Gwenyth Love
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favourite ending of this series so far. I loved The Beast (Guardian).
Blank Canvas
Apr 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
When I first picked up this book I was actually intrigued by concept of the story of having beauty being mixed with Greek mythology. I really thought this book would be an interesting read but little did I know what a stuggle It would be to just finish it. I was immensely disappointed by how the book turned out to be. It was a really slow and boring read there were times were I would nod off to sleep while reading it. I have read many other books by this same author and was not disappointed but ...more
Beverly
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVED this Beauty and the Beast retelling...it was full of magick and romance and roses, with a unique twist on the story. 4/5⭐ ...more
Bridget Maas
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual with P.C. Cast's Goddess Summoning series, the first third to one half of the book started out pretty slow and requires a bit more willpower to get through (luckily I picked up this book for the first time on an airplane so lack of anything else to do helped me to get through the initial slow parts). I've also read her Goddess of Spring novel, and that one seemed to pick up the pace and introduce the romance much earlier than Goddess of the Rose. Once the romance finally got going I ...more
Seamaiden
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't that thrilled about this story at first even though it's loosely based on Beauty and the Beast but I ended up really liking it later on. Hecate wasn't that bad. I usually quite enjoy stories that show you how someone fell in love with a "beast" and it was exciting reading how Mikki embraced her needs and instincts, how she knew she didn't belong and how she ended up getting her happy ending. And now there is a new goddess.
The sacrifice scene as well as the almost rape scenes were a bit
Maryaninya
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-authors
For instance, I thought I was literally in a different world. Everything was new to me, Godess, beast, etc. And it was too feminine for me. So i really had to make an effort in understanding this story.

In the end, I enjoyed so much, I even see myself as an Empousa. ( with the power of summoning your maids through telepathy, chiton dress, hotsrping and a power to grow roses through blood!)

I love how the ending gave justice to all the characters. Less drama, less violence, just creativity and
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is for everyone who fell in love with the Beast, and then was truly disappointed when he turned into a handsome prince.

This is the dedication P.C Cast wrote at the beginning of this book and as soon as I read those words, I knew this would be a story I would love. While I havent read all the books in the Goddess Summoning series I have read most, and without doubt Goddess of the Rose has definitely been my favourite so far!

When modern day women Mikado (Mikki) finds herself
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. Fluffy, fun romance. I'm generally a fan of stories where love is built on a true connection instead of simply a physical attraction. This was a Beauty and the Beast retelling mixed with Greek mythology, which was a bit strange, but since I like both of these things, I was okay with the odd combo.

That's about it. I can't seem to make it through a book of Cast's without getting annoyed at the lead female at least a couple of times...but ah well. It wasn't that bad this time as it
HR readsNstuff
blah blah blah...

i'm almost halfway and it's all been about roses and ceremony. i'm all for world building but this is ridiculous - the two main characters have barely interacted and if i read one more thing about tending a rose garden i'm going to scream. DID NOT FINISH.

maybe one day when i'm feeling more patient (and really desperate for something to read) i'll revisit the story, instead i'm moving onto the next book in the series.
Chernyse
May 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
I did it, I finished the book. I have to say, I am disappointed. This book is so unlike P.C. Cast. But then again, I haven't read any of their other books except for The House of Night Series and The Forbidden Game. However, I found this book very unlikable, and the characters were underdeveloped. It also had a few loose ends I was unhappy with.
Erica Forrest
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A retelling of Beauty and the Beast and the Minotaur makes for one of my favourite heros of all time! And a strong, unannoying heroine too. Asterius is so sweetly vulnerable, Mikki is smart and strong, and their romance is steamy... Better than five stars!
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
This book was really weird but good. I guess. Sometimes it just dragged on and the middle was kinda slow but it was OK. I think the ending could have been a little better just like some of her other books but it was still satisfying. It was an easy read of about 3 hours.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Like much of the books that I've been reading recently, I like the IDEA behind the book without liking the actual book itself.

I mean, come on. I love me some Beauty and the Beast retelling (although, I'm loathe to tell Cast about Cupid and Psyche... Dear lord no.), but I could not with Goddess of the Rose.

She fucked the Minotaur. Come on. Seriously? I cannot.

On top of the usual Cast nonsense of pages of Let's cast a circle! Water, I call to you! Fire... Blah-blah-blah... It got old, real fast.
Amy Dale
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
A Beauty and the Beast retelling,I was so excited,so ready for a new favorite book... I adore PC Cast, but this volume just wasn't as good as her other offerings.. This book was 70% about roses and gardening and only a miniscule amount was romance. I thought this particular Goddess Summoning volume would be the darkest and most steamy, but of the 3 I've read it's the least. The beginning chapters are really interesting and the last few are very exciting, but the rest is about roses! I've seen ...more
Emily Dones
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love myths and Beauty and the Beast also roses
This was a very original Beauty and the Beast retelling. In other reviews I have seen people complaining about how much they didn't like the amount of pages this book dedicated to talking about roses. I must say I loved every second of it and is something I will miss in other re-tellings. Our protagonist, Mikado, is a very headstrong character and I love her. I love that beast doesn't have to change his appearance as well as all the mythological and ritualistic portions of this book. Somehow I ...more
Lizzie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Megan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, pc-cast
Nice enough. Not as good as the others I've read in the series so far.

Took a long while to get into the story. The first half, the pacing was very slow with not much plot.

The whole story was a bit lacking. Not as rich and detailed as others in this series have been. A very simple story that could have been executed better.

I also disliked how some information was kept from Mikki. The whole keeping something from someone for their safety or wellbeing or whatever is a trope I just loathe. It's
Nitty S
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this series....I know its a bit cheesy and some parts are just wrong in the point of view of mythology. It is, at times, basically erotica with some sort of mythological storyline, but I still enjoy it. This is the first book I read in the series and proceeded to read the others out of curiousity. I'm re-reading it now and I see some things I missed when I was younger. The coincidences of "anointing" herself, the invocation, the blood, its a bit too much of a stretch but I guess thats ...more
Haley Harrigan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fourth book in the Goddess Summoning Series. This was the first book in the series that I had read. I recently got the others to complete it, and will read them soon!

So, lets get started with this review! I was not disappointed. I never am when it comes to the Cast Duo. Reading their individual works was also pleasing.

In Goddess of the Rose, we follow the life of Mikado Empousai. She discovers an ancient power in her veins, and also uncovers a love with an intriguing character. This was
Renee Delcourt
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember reading or attempting to read Marked back in hich school. The concept of it was interesting but I didn't really care for the book. When I saw PC cast had written some books reinventing different myths and fairy tales I wanted to give her style another chance. It was okay but the ending was super abrupt. I didn't feel like the characters were fleshed out very well. I just didn't connect with them like other characters from other authors. Her style is just not for me I guess.
Shannon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting P.C.'s dad a while back. Among many other things, we discussed how I was a fan of her books. He asked if I'd ever read Goddess of the Rose, his favorite he said. Now that I've finished, I have to agree with him. I think the dedication says it all for me "This book is for everyone who fell in love with the Beast, and then was truly disappointed when he turned into a handsome prince". I could not have said it better myself.
Laurel
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not the best in the Goddess Summoning series. The plot did not flow very well and the main character acted way too chill about everything. She did not put up much resistance, which could be a personality and sub-textual thing, but it just came off as very...lazy. One day she ends up in this other world and she is mostly like, ok this is reality now. It pulled me out of the story a bit too often.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Scarlet Rain (The Escaped, #2)
  • The Scent of Salt & Sand (The Escaped, #2.5)
  • Amber Smoke (The Escaped #1)
  • For the Love of Hades (Loves of Olympus, #2)
  • Knight of Desire (All the King's Men #1)
  • Medusa, A Love Story (Loves of Olympus, #1)
  • Carter (Riding Hard, #3)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords, #1)
  • Hades And Persephone: Curse Of The Golden Arrow
  • Timeless (Timeless, #1)
  • Perfect Chemistry (Kinky Chronicles, #1)
  • Lucifer
  • The Immortal Emperor: The Life and Legend of Constantine Palaiologos, Last Emperor of the Romans
  • Robinson Crusoe & The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
  • O Continente - Volume I
  • A Viuvinha
  • Nobody's Goddess (Never Veil #1)
  • A Moreninha
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more

Goddess Summoning (7 books)
  • Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning, #1)
  • Goddess of Spring (Goddess Summoning, #2)
  • Goddess of Light (Goddess Summoning, #3)
  • Goddess of Love (Goddess Summoning, #5)
  • Warrior Rising (Goddess Summoning, #6)
  • Goddess of Legend (Goddess Summoning, #7)