Start by marking “Grace” as Want to Read:
Grace

Grace (33⅓ #23)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The power and influence of Grace increases with each passing year. Here, Daphne Brooks traces Jeff Buckley s fascinating musical development through the earliest stages of his career, up to the release of the album. With access to rare archival material, Brooks illustrates Buckley s passion for life and hunger for musical knowledge, and shows just why he was such a crucial ...more
Published April 28th 2005 by Continuum International Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace

Kimley
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
I came to worship at the Jeff Buckley shrine rather late in the game. Being an avid music junky, I was aware of all the rave reviews of his work and generally knew his story but for whatever reason had not gotten around to exploring his music until after he had taken that fateful swim.

I moved to NYC in 1993 and wandered the same streets and clubs as he did. I often wonder stupid things like whether he was at the same amazing Tom Verlaine show I saw at Tramps. Surely we should have crossed paths
Jeff Reguilon
Jul 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Buckley obsessives who don't care about factual accuracy.
An incredibly frustrating look at one of my all-time favorite albums. Brooks pimples her prose with unnecessary adjectives in an attempt to sound more passionate or convincing, which only makes her sound green (though I will cut her some slack, because expressing enthusiasm can be difficult and I often find myself falling into the same traps). More irritating, though, is her tendency to make bizarre intellectual leaps and commit serious factual inaccuracies without explaining herself even though ...more
Samantha Glasser
Aug 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Daphne A. Brooks was originally supposed to help with the liner notes of Jeff Buckley's Grace Legacy Edition CD released late in 2004. When Sony decided to use another's opinions, Brooks decided to compile her information and use it to write this book. Because of this, the information is obviously opinionated. However, these opinions often get in the way of deciphering which parts are opinion and which parts are cited facts. The book is basically a repetitive compilation of information from othe ...more
Laurie
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's been such a long time...time feels like it's flown away, the days just pass and fade away.

Obviously written by a (self-admitted) uber-fan, these essays brought me back to a time when I thought I understood Jeff so well: his influences, the themes he was trying to communicate though his music, his voice...some interesting thoughts here, if at times repetitive. It was nice to delve back into that shimmering music, if only for a short while, for it is usually just way too painful.

Alex
May 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: music, 33-1-3
Grace, dare I say it, has been an overrated album for me and I've never really got the whole Jeff Buckley thing. Too many indie kids being cool by quoting it as a reference point without really knowing it, and I've always thought its influence has had too much to do with the romance of the artist's young death. I've certainly never experienced the life-changing qualities attributed to it by Brooks and so many first-year undergrad students (possibly because I grew up a Britpop kid!)

Still, this is
Christopher
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Daphne A. Brooks' GRACE, part of the "33 1/3" series of influential album histories, is a overview of the work of Jeff Buckley, whose debut album launched a career of great passion cut short by his untimely death. Brooks had been hired to write the liner notes for the tenth-anniversary edition of "Grace", though ultimately another writer's work was used, and she made use of many interviews with Buckley and his circle, and reviews of his work.

Those expecting an indepth study of the recording proc
Max Maxwell
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jeff Buckley fans
Recommended to Max by: Fan of the artist/series
This is a great addition to the 33 series, as some scholarly criticism on Buckley's album was sorely needed. Grace is one of the great rock albums of the 1990s, and here, Brooks makes its place in the canon of rock music make total sense, drawing connections to Led Zeppelin, Edith Piaf, and Billie Holiday by way of Bob Dylan. She shows that Buckley was fully aware of his place in the spectrum and dissects his music track-by-track, from a number of angles, including the rather personal woman's-st ...more
Cruz
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most in depth looks into what makes Jeff Buckley, Jeff Buckley-- the music. Her knowledge of what influenced him musically and personally was so vast, and her dip into his personal life was unlike previous authors who spend their time romanticizing about his defunct relationship with his father. She left Buckley just how he left this world -- a mystery. The author was fantastic with her transitions from track to track, her narrative was tight and balanced the tone of each track perfec ...more
Sara
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
This book desperately needs an editor. Run on paragraphs and sentences, distracting punctuation, bah. The worst though, was she (the supposed Jeff Buckley superfan) MISQUOTES his lyrics. Like, transposes words.

As another Jeff Buckley superfan, this was really, really irritating and caused me to not see any sort of credibility in her analysis or "inside info" on his song lyric meanings. (Yep, I'm a Buckley snob, I admit it).
Katie
I like the 33 1/3 series, but I was disappointed by this installment. Jeff Buckley is hands down my favorite musician. Grace is an unbelievably beautiful album. I was hoping for a dissection of the music or an analysis of the themes and lyrics. Instead, it was the story of how listening to the album affected the author/changed her life. It was interesting. But damn, what a cop out to real music research and writing.
Kristi
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
The three star rating is a bit generous, but there were aspects I liked. The author's commentary on race, gender & sexuality were appreciated, but her repetitions are tedious. If you have been obsessed with Jeff Buckley for many years, this will probably not do much for you. Then again, any kind of tribute to such a passionate, talented artist who I'm deeply grateful for & who I deeply miss is not a terrible thing.
Ferentz
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 33third
This is arguably the one of the most thorough volumes of the 33 1/3 series. Brooks' passion for Buckley's work really shone through and I was gladly introduced to an artist with whom I was previously unaware. His song "Hallelujah" is breathtaking and I would have missed out on that joy were it not for Brooks' contribution.
Andrea
Jan 25, 2009 marked it as to-read
So far I like it. I love reading about how music affects other people's lives, but I'm really fucking annoyed at all the lazy children who thought this book was supposed to tell them what the lyrics mean. I mean, really? Go to songmeanings.net if you can't think for yourself. You don't need a scholarly book to tell you what "Lover, You Should've Come Over" is about.
Patty
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Grace is one of my favorite records of all time. It made me fall so hard for Jeff Buckley as an artist, and I was heartbroken when he died. This is not a perfect book, but it is written by someone who loved Jeff and this album as much as I did. Daphne Brooks did a good deal of research, and she lets the power and intensity of her subject shine through in her writing.
Mike
Nov 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like Jeff Buckley
Since Buckley was already dead before I really got into him, this book was invaluable to understanding how such a great album came together. It also strieks the perfect balance between research and love letter. The author did her homework, but make sure you understand where things are coming from at all times. Sometimes a little too personal an account, but a minor quibble.
Alison
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it
My brother gave this to me as part of a birthday/Chanukah present. It's an interesting read albeit a bit overwrought and academic. Though, if it's a record that you love as much as I do, it's an interesting analysis of JB as a feminist punk chanteuse mixed with some history/stories that I did not know.
James Verburg
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Made me fall in love with this album and artist all over again. And the last chapter about his unfortunate death seriously brought tears to my eyes. Such a powerful eulogy of an amazing artist and human being.
Dean Wilcox
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like the best of this series this book is a combination of personal obsession, deep research, contemplation and inspiration. And as always - any music writing should drag you away form the page to listen.
Kristan
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't love this book as much as I wanted to. The only part that I found really interesting was when she talked about his love for Prince. I hadn't put together the musical similarities in my head, but it makes complete sense.
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
An ok volume. Although I liked it, I didn't really learn anything new but then again since Buckley is dead getting new insights on an album like Grace is difficult. I'd rather recommend this for someone who is new to Buckley and wants to find out more about him.
Suzy
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Jeff Buckley and I love this album but I am not crazy about the writing. It seems that this author wrote the book and then went back and inserted an insane amount of adjectives and imagery. I love adjectives as much as the next girl, but this was to much.
Bryan Hall
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice read, but at times gets bogged down in overly-academic language (given that the author is an academic, this can't be too surprising).
Jpeeples
Meh. Kinda, like, wordy and stuff. Returned to library.
Will
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
cool book about an insanely dope human...somewhat overwrought and repetitive prose which occasionally distracts from a thorough overview of JB's musical history and his wonderful album
Amanda
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the idea of this book. i was intrigued that it included quotes from Jeff's journals. i learned a lot. nicely rendered.
Nathan
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 33-1-3-series
What a wonderful album, and this book did a job of revealing that to the reader. Another good one in the series.
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Daphne is a colorful and enjoyable author. I enjoyed her personal relations as well as the compilation of quotes and articles she provided about Jeff Buckley.
Sarah Irvin
  • Harvest
  • Unknown Pleasures
  • Forever Changes
  • Electric Ladyland

33⅓ (1 - 10 of 118 books)
  • Dusty in Memphis