Start by marking “Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #2)” as Want to Read:
Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #2)

Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe

(Comfort Food Cafe #2)

Becca Fletcher has always hated Christmas but she has her reasons for being Little Miss Grinch. Now, though, she can’t avoid her version of ho-ho-hell – because she’s travelling to the Comfort Food Cafe to spend the festive season with her sister Laura and her family. She’s expecting mulled wine, 24-hour Christmas movie marathons and all kinds of very merry torture.

Little
Published September 23rd 2016 by HarperImpulse

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe, please sign up.
Linda It has some talk of sex, but really no details like in other books. Very mild to say the least. It is a good book. I enjoyed it.

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Yet another overdue book review. I read this one as soon as this happened . . . .

So, you know . . . .

Okay, not really, but next year? It’s on like bing bong starting November 1. I’m like 99.99999% sure it was Bonnie who mentioned this title, but old lady brain sometimes tells me things that aren’t actually true. I do know the discussion had been regarding Lifetime Christmas Movies and my affinity for them and that this was promised
enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
REVIEW NOTE: I believe these books can be read as standalones, even though they are part of a series.

This is one of those books you read when your brain is dead, or when you're in a particularly tolerant mood.

I didn't click with Becca, the main character from the start. She was way too bratty for me. Later on, she was portrayed as an emo teenager with many vices, but it felt more forced than natural. I thought the story got a little better when her adult perspective was finally introduced. But a
Claire Robinson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - It's definitely beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. Stars!

Christmas at the Comfort Food Café is the second successful seasonal read for me from Debbie Johnson, after absolutely loving Never Kiss a Man in a Christmas Jumper last year, I was quick to request this title when I saw it on Netgalley.

Becca and Sam’s story wasn’t massively new or unusual in the tropes used, but it was well written, bolstered up by a host of likeable secondary characters, and hit just the right note in drama
Irena
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This summer I read Debbie Johnson's Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe and, even though I had a hard time connecting with the main character Lauren, I ended up liking it.
When I heard about festive novella Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe, I knew I wanted to read it because:

a) I liked Johnson's full time novel, the setting and characters she created so I was glad I had a chance to revisit that imaginary cafe full of positive vibes;
b) Festive stories are my favorite reads so, of course, the curiosi
Rebecca Carter
I loved the Comfort Food Cafe and getting to know Laura, her family and the numerous characters of Bunbury. Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe is the follow up and makes a lovely Christmas time read. It's only a short story and you could read it as a stand alone book, with the author giving back stories on what happened in the first book to either refresh your memory, or to bring new readers up to date.

The first book was centred around Laura and her move down to the Jurassic coast. This time we
Obsidian
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tbr-2017
Apparently I am 0 for 2 for Christmas romance reads this year. Geez.

Well this was disappointing. I found book #1 a solid romance so I bought book #2. The second book in the series focuses on Laura's younger sister Becca. We have heard from Laura that Becca drinks, does drugs, and has all kinds of sex with totally wrong men, but loves her life. Becca goes and visits her sister and her family for the Christmas break to see how they are settling in and to meet her sister's new boyfriend. The big p
Suzanne
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, romance
This was a lovely Christmas story (although I would recommend reading Comfort Food Cafe #1 first - it was really good and most of the characters are introduced there). Becca, who hates Christmas, is nevertheless spending it with her family at the Comfort Food Cafe. The location and the great people work their magic on her. I liked Becca - she had a good sense of humor and some real issues, and I loved reading her story!
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe sort of follows on from the first book in the Comfort Food Cafe series, Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. Don’t worry though as it really does read as a stand alone, though probably will have you racing back to read book one. Where as we get to meet Laura in book one, we now get to know her sister Becca better.

I loved Becca. She reminded me of myself when I was younger. Probably not a good thing when you read the book and see what she was like growing up but I r
Joan
This was FABULOUS.

I HATE (with a passion) most books written in 1st person/present tense because more often than not they are little more than a vapid 'look at MEEEE - aren't I wonderful/clever/amazing/gorgeous etc.

It wasn't until Chapter 5 that I realised that this book is just that- 1st person, present tense - and up until that moment I had not noticed! In fact I had to skim back over the preceding chapters just to check.

I wont go into the story, but this is the second in the series. I haven't
Bonnie
‘They are perfect together, and it’s only their pasts holding them back.
Which, I suppose, is a sentence that could be applied to all of us, in some way or another.’

Becca Fletcher has always been known as the wild child of the family: drugs, alcohol, one night stands, you name it. She’s turned over a new leaf after a tragedy strikes her sister’s family and she realizes that it’s time she became someone that can be depended on. And now that same sister is asking her to come visit her for Christm
Madeline
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it

Now, I just need some snow to make the Christmas reading a little cozier.
Alison
Hmm, you know when you really get into a series and then the dreaded book comes where you dislike one of the characters? This is the one for me.

Becca Fletcher is the younger sister of Laura, the subject of the first book Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. Always the rock-n roll chick, the wild child, the girl most likely to [insert doomsday scenario]. We saw her as Lizzie's confidant in the first book, always joking about wild parties, drugs and booze. The reality is somewhat different. Unbeknown
Agi
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

Christmas is coming earlier and earlier each year, at least bookish Christmas - "Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe" is already one of the few festive reads that I read in September. Not that I'm complaining - I love Christmas and I probably could read Noel - centred books all over the year. And especially if they are written by Debbie Johnson - she has really ricocheted herself to the top of my favourite authors list and I'm sure she's going to stay there for a very long time, if not for ever.

I
Alison Winter
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome story of Becca, sister of Laura and how she finds happiness at the comfort food cafe. Very lovely story about sisters and overcoming personal demons.
Rachel Gilbey
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful return to the Comfort Food Cafe, and this time from Becca's perspective, instead of sister Laura's. Becca is a bit of a scrooge sort of person, she really hates Christmas, and the start of the book, shows various of their childhood Christmases as to why she is that way.

I loved those Childhood memories as they are the sorts of incidents that happen up and down the world in families every year, without fail, and they are as amusing as they are recognisable. We then fast forward t
Leona
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful feel good sparkly story that you will want to read curled up with a cup of hot chocolate. It’s a follow on from Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe but can also be read as a stand-alone . This time the story revolves around Laura’s sister Becca but we also are reintroduced to the characters we met previously . I absolutely adored this book and highly recommend .
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Heart Full of Christmas

Becca is a difficult person, character, to really understand or like, for that matter, at the beginning of Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe. The story itself sets her up that way, and her early actions will reinforce that puzzle of who is she really. In the end, Becca is simply her own unique person – like all of us. Nope, she’s far from perfect but so am I. She’s definitely moody, and often times mean. Yet, there underneath the surface stuff is a woman who h
Nicola Clough
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So wonderful to go back to the lovely small seaside village of Budbury in Dorset and the comfort food cafe it's simply brilliant I didn't think it could improve on the first book but it did so well written and has you in tears plenty but also happy. Shows how you need to let the past go before you can move forward. Plenty of romance and of course plenty about families and friendship. Plenty of healing takes place and so heartwarming.
Laura and her children have settled in really well now and get
Karen Mace
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
I received a copy of this via NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review.

I was so excited to see that there was to be a Christmas story from the folk at the Comfort Food Cafe, as I adored the first book so much........... and this is every bit as good as I'd hoped it would be!!!

The first in the series is based on Laura and her families perspective on life as they up sticks and try to move on, with the help of a new start at the Comfort Food Cafe in Dorset. This Festive edition still featur
Angela Newby
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one as much as Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. It was lovely to read Becca's story and to return to all the characters from the first book. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Janelle Dazzlepants
This was everything I could’ve wanted from a Christmas romance! It had snow, baked goods, a reformed rebel, a small seaside town, adorable quirky residents, and personal redemption.

I empathised with Becca as a character - hell, I relate to anybody who hates people - and really enjoyed following her arc. She’s unlikeable and difficult but manages to find herself in this quaint little town, taking a journey that’s as cute and fluffy as it is awkward and realistic.

I went into this expecting some
Jane
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
I thought I was going to be generous and give it 2 stars but then (view spoiler). The pop culture references were excessive, and not very relevant. Likening Matt to Han Solo, for example, I liked - it served a purpose. Placing bets on what song is going to play? Shut up. I found the writing repetitive o ...more
Jane Linfoot
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first Comfort Food Cafe book earlier this summer, I've been looking forward to returning to the Comfort Food Cafe for what seems like forever, so it was fabulous to finally get my hands on this Christmas story. Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe is everything I'd hoped for, and every bit as satisfying and delicious as the double whipped cream topping on the cover promises it will be.
The length means it's possible to wolf it down in a fabulous single-sitting read. But Johnson's
Stacey
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I was so excited to read this book after reading Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe that I had built up my expectations and was let down.

I think what I didn't like the most was that it was about Becca and not about Laura again. I found Becca to be cynical and quite annoying and found it wasn't the heartwarming Christmas tale that I really envisioned. I know the story had to be different from the last book but I think it could have been more about Christmas. All I read was a story wa
Gina
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 CHRISTMASSY STARS!

“I feel the words rising, and they are words I’ve never, ever spoken out loud before. Words that belong to stories I’ve never told. Words that describe the hurt I’ve never expressed. Words that probably won’t capture the guilt I’ve never properly climbed over. I feel them there, these words, powerful, bubbling under the surface like lava, scalding hot and searingly painful.”

***

This book was cute, really cute. I loved the storyline and the characters were amazing!
What d
Jessica
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! How amazing to get back to the Comfort Food Cafe! After reading the first book I was super excited go see there was another book and to make it even better its Christmas!

The book is from Becca Lauras sisters side, we only just met her on the phone last time round so it's lovely to get to know her better and find out more about her.

It is fabulous to catch up with our favourite characters from the first instalment I think Debbie is absolutely fabulous at creating big characters that you jus
Shaz Goodwin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Christmas in October? If you’re on social media you will have noticed many gorgeous Christmas novels being published. I must admit to loving seasonal reads. Always guaranteed plenty of feels and this is just what we get with Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe.

Christmas past for Becca hasn’t been a time of year that is magical and full of wonder. Aged 4 and 8 she hates it. As a teen it’s a time of year that marks something a lot darker and deeper. In the pr
Lisa Houston
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely festive book. Hadn't read the 1st one in the series, so was worried I may not keep up, but i need not have worried the author kept us up to date.

Could totally relate to Becca. Im not a christmas person myself, so enjoyed listening to her being humbug. Not many festive books, are honest in this way. Its normally all oh i love christmas characters.

Had a lot of giggles with the book. One in particular "At the age of ten, Laura isnt quite sure what constitutes sexy but hopes her Dad isnt it
Steffi
I really loved "Summer at the Comfort Food Café", so I have been really excited to read the christmas book. Unfortunately I couldn't live up to my expectations.

One big problem were the characters. I just couldn't connect with Becca and neither Sam. There were some sweet moments but overall the love story felt rushed and forced. I couldn't feel any natural chemistry between them and I missed the romance.

Another problem was that it lacked in the festive spirit. Becca being rather a grinch didn't h
Sky
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that I have read from Debbie Johnson the first being Summer at the comfort food cafe and I must say that I am impressed!
Christmas at the comfort food cafe is the perfect Christmas read!
Loveable, adorable characters that make for such an easy read.
This books is fun and will make you laugh out loud.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect Author 6 33 Sep 14, 2016 07:05PM

• The Christmas Project
  • Four Weddings And A White Christmas (Cherry Pie Island)
  • Merry Mistletoe (Tales From Appleyard, #1)
  • Christmas at the Dancing Duck
  • Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake
  • Angels in the Snow
  • Humbugs and Heartstrings
  • It Must Have Been the Mistletoe
  • Christmas at Butterfly Cove (Butterfly Cove, #3)
  • Comfort and Joy (The Plumberry School of Comfort Food #5)
  • Home for Christmas (Sanctuary Island #4)
  • Dead Romantic
  • Make My Wish Come True
  • The Cosy Christmas Teashop
  • Winter At Cedarwood Lodge
  • Silver Bells at Moonglow (Moonglow Christmas, #2)
  • The Great Christmas Knit Off
  • Winter at the Dog & Duck (Dog and Duck Book 1)

Comfort Food Cafe (6 books)
  • Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #1)
  • Coming Home to the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #3)
  • Sunshine at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #4)
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
  • A Wedding at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe, #6)
“I am used to solitude and it is used to me. We understand each other, me and solitude. I don’t get annoyed when it keeps me awake at night with its echoing loneliness, and it’s always cool about me sometimes bringing friends home to chase it away for a while. Like a grumpy but dedicated couple, though, we always come back to each other at the end of the day.” 1 likes
“of” 0 likes