Start by marking “Christmas at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #2)” as Want to Read:
Christmas at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #2)

Christmas at the Comfort Food Café

(Comfort Food Café #2)

Becca Fletcher has always hated Christmas but she has her reasons for being Little Miss Grinch. Now, though, she can’t avoid her version of ho-ho-hell – because she’s travelling to the Comfort Food Cafe to spend the festive season with her sister Laura and her family. She’s expecting mulled wine, 24-hour Christmas movie marathons and all kinds of very merry torture.

Little
Published September 23rd 2016 by HarperImpulse

Start your review of Christmas at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #2)
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Yet another overdue book review. I read this one as soon as this happened . . . .

So, you know . . . .

Okay, not really, but next year? It’s on like bing bong starting November 1. I’m like 99.99999% sure it was Bonnie who mentioned this title, but old lady brain sometimes tells me things that aren’t actually true. I do know the discussion had been regarding Lifetime Christmas Movies and my affinity for them and that this was pr
enqi ༄ؘ 。˚ ⋆♡
REVIEW NOTE: I believe these books can be read as standalones, even though they are part of a series.

This is one of those books you read when your brain is dead, or when you're in a particularly tolerant mood.

I didn't click with Becca, the main character from the start. She was way too bratty for me. Later on, she was portrayed as an emo teenager with many vices, but it felt more forced than natural. I thought the story got a little better when her adult perspective was finally introduced. But a
Irena BookDustMagic
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This summer I read Debbie Johnson's Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe and, even though I had a hard time connecting with the main character Lauren, I ended up liking it.
When I heard about festive novella Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe, I knew I wanted to read it because:

a) I liked Johnson's full time novel, the setting and characters she created so I was glad I had a chance to revisit that imaginary cafe full of positive vibes;
b) Festive stories are my favorite reads so, of course, the curiosi
Claire
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - It's definitely beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. Stars!

Christmas at the Comfort Food Café is the second successful seasonal read for me from Debbie Johnson, after absolutely loving Never Kiss a Man in a Christmas Jumper last year, I was quick to request this title when I saw it on Netgalley.

Becca and Sam’s story wasn’t massively new or unusual in the tropes used, but it was well written, bolstered up by a host of likeable secondary characters, and hit just the right note in dram
Rebecca Carter
I loved the Comfort Food Cafe and getting to know Laura, her family and the numerous characters of Bunbury. Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe is the follow up and makes a lovely Christmas time read. It's only a short story and you could read it as a stand alone book, with the author giving back stories on what happened in the first book to either refresh your memory, or to bring new readers up to date.

The first book was centred around Laura and her move down to the Jurassic coast. This time we
Obsidian
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tbr-2017
Apparently I am 0 for 2 for Christmas romance reads this year. Geez.

Well this was disappointing. I found book #1 a solid romance so I bought book #2. The second book in the series focuses on Laura's younger sister Becca. We have heard from Laura that Becca drinks, does drugs, and has all kinds of sex with totally wrong men, but loves her life. Becca goes and visits her sister and her family for the Christmas break to see how they are settling in and to meet her sister's new boyfriend. The big p
Suzanne
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, holiday
This was a lovely Christmas story (although I would recommend reading Comfort Food Cafe #1 first - it was really good and most of the characters are introduced there). Becca, who hates Christmas, is nevertheless spending it with her family at the Comfort Food Cafe. The location and the great people work their magic on her. I liked Becca - she had a good sense of humor and some real issues, and I loved reading her story!
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe sort of follows on from the first book in the Comfort Food Cafe series, Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. Don’t worry though as it really does read as a stand alone, though probably will have you racing back to read book one. Where as we get to meet Laura in book one, we now get to know her sister Becca better.

I loved Becca. She reminded me of myself when I was younger. Probably not a good thing when you read the book and see what she was like growing up but I r
Joan
This was FABULOUS.

I HATE (with a passion) most books written in 1st person/present tense because more often than not they are little more than a vapid 'look at MEEEE - aren't I wonderful/clever/amazing/gorgeous etc.

It wasn't until Chapter 5 that I realised that this book is just that- 1st person, present tense - and up until that moment I had not noticed! In fact I had to skim back over the preceding chapters just to check.

I wont go into the story, but this is the second in the series. I haven't
Bookworman
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another 3-3/4 stars for book 2 in this series. This one was, in some ways, EVEN BETTER than book 1. Now... am I willing to wait for book 3 from the library or do I just give in and buy the lot?

Dec 25 update: Bought the whole series and rating upgraded to 4 stars after second read.
Madeline
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it

Now, I just need some snow to make the Christmas reading a little cozier.
Rachel Gilbey
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful return to the Comfort Food Cafe, and this time from Becca's perspective, instead of sister Laura's. Becca is a bit of a scrooge sort of person, she really hates Christmas, and the start of the book, shows various of their childhood Christmases as to why she is that way.

I loved those Childhood memories as they are the sorts of incidents that happen up and down the world in families every year, without fail, and they are as amusing as they are recognisable. We then fast forward t
Bonnie
‘They are perfect together, and it’s only their pasts holding them back.
Which, I suppose, is a sentence that could be applied to all of us, in some way or another.’

Becca Fletcher has always been known as the wild child of the family: drugs, alcohol, one night stands, you name it. She’s turned over a new leaf after a tragedy strikes her sister’s family and she realizes that it’s time she became someone that can be depended on. And now that same sister is asking her to come visit her for Chris
Alison
Hmm, you know when you really get into a series and then the dreaded book comes where you dislike one of the characters? This is the one for me.

Becca Fletcher is the younger sister of Laura, the subject of the first book Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. Always the rock-n roll chick, the wild child, the girl most likely to [insert doomsday scenario]. We saw her as Lizzie's confidant in the first book, always joking about wild parties, drugs and booze. The reality is somewhat different. Unbeknown
Shelley Lawrence
Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe is yet another feel-good, and in this case, festive story from Debbie Johnson. It’s a surprisingly short story, and as such, I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as her previous book. Though this story was richly descriptive and had the same lovable, quirky crew, it was focused solely on the romance between Laura’s rebellious sister, Becca, and local outdoorsman, Surfer Sam.

This is a go-to story if you’re looking for a quick holiday romance, but it was lacking the b
Jooke
Dec 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks, read-2021
What a dissapointment. Becca seemed such a vibrant and interesting character in the first book.
But she just really annoyed me. Even in her noble attempt to clean up her act and to be there for her sister, she seemed to do because of a self centered reason. Her aversion for Christmas was also just kind of outrageous and she was a even more dense than her sister.
I felt sorry for Sam...
Agi
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

Christmas is coming earlier and earlier each year, at least bookish Christmas - "Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe" is already one of the few festive reads that I read in September. Not that I'm complaining - I love Christmas and I probably could read Noel - centred books all over the year. And especially if they are written by Debbie Johnson - she has really ricocheted herself to the top of my favourite authors list and I'm sure she's going to stay there for a very long time, if not for ever.

I
Alison Winter
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome story of Becca, sister of Laura and how she finds happiness at the comfort food cafe. Very lovely story about sisters and overcoming personal demons.
Nicola Clough
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So wonderful to go back to the lovely small seaside village of Budbury in Dorset and the comfort food cafe it's simply brilliant I didn't think it could improve on the first book but it did so well written and has you in tears plenty but also happy. Shows how you need to let the past go before you can move forward. Plenty of romance and of course plenty about families and friendship. Plenty of healing takes place and so heartwarming.
Laura and her children have settled in really well now and get
Nicola Michelle
Nov 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
What a gorgeous, heartwarming festive read. I seem to be reading this series backwards and in all the wrong order as I’d read number three before number two and have yet to read number one, but I’ve made it my mission to read all this books in this series!

It’s such a comforting book and I adore all of the characters. Old Edie who is an absolute legend, along with Laura, Matt and her kids Lizzie and Nate plus the epic Sherry Moon who caters for all at the comfort food cafe.

It was nice to follow
Leona
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful feel good sparkly story that you will want to read curled up with a cup of hot chocolate. It’s a follow on from Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe but can also be read as a stand-alone . This time the story revolves around Laura’s sister Becca but we also are reintroduced to the characters we met previously . I absolutely adored this book and highly recommend .
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Heart Full of Christmas

Becca is a difficult person, character, to really understand or like, for that matter, at the beginning of Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe. The story itself sets her up that way, and her early actions will reinforce that puzzle of who is she really. In the end, Becca is simply her own unique person – like all of us. Nope, she’s far from perfect but so am I. She’s definitely moody, and often times mean. Yet, there underneath the surface stuff is a woman who h
Fay Flude
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book to read at this time of year along with your own special comfort food or drink as you effortlessly step into the snowflakes and happiness of seasonal love and romance.
Becca might not want a relationship and she might be as prickly as a hedgehog when it comes to contemplating the Christmas festivities, but life as described in this charming book has other plans for the world weary woman in the shape of surfer Sam.
There is an array of quirky loveable characters living in Budbury, D
Maddie butler
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Christmas story like none other. Becca hates Christmas always has always will. Until she travels to the comfort food cafe to spend Christmas with her sister and her two kids.
Becca wasn’t always the best daughter or sister growing up but when her sisters husband dies she makes it her goal to straighten up and to be there for her sister. Little does Becca know that the comfort food cafe is full of miracles.
Angela Newby
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one as much as Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe. It was lovely to read Becca's story and to return to all the characters from the first book. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ...more
Janelle
This was everything I could’ve wanted from a Christmas romance! It had snow, baked goods, a reformed rebel, a small seaside town, adorable quirky residents, and personal redemption.

I empathised with Becca as a character - hell, I relate to anybody who hates people - and really enjoyed following her arc. She’s unlikeable and difficult but manages to find herself in this quaint little town, taking a journey that’s as cute and fluffy as it is awkward and realistic.

I went into this expecting some
Kim
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2016, net-galley
I absolutely adored the first book in this series review here. This book was the perfect follow up leaving me with exactly the same warm feeling with the added advantage of that magical Christmas bubble. I love Christmas books and the magic that they leave you with.
This one follows Laura's sister Becca who has agreed to come over to Dorset for a few weeks leading up to Christmas. She is more of a party girl than her sister, who settled with her childhood sweetheart. Becca hates Christmas but lov
Jane
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I thought I was going to be generous and give it 2 stars but then (view spoiler). The pop culture references were excessive, and not very relevant. Likening Matt to Han Solo, for example, I liked - it served a purpose. Placing bets on what song is going to play? Shut up. I found the writing repetitive o ...more
Jane Linfoot
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first Comfort Food Cafe book earlier this summer, I've been looking forward to returning to the Comfort Food Cafe for what seems like forever, so it was fabulous to finally get my hands on this Christmas story. Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe is everything I'd hoped for, and every bit as satisfying and delicious as the double whipped cream topping on the cover promises it will be.
The length means it's possible to wolf it down in a fabulous single-sitting read. But Johnson's
Gina
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 CHRISTMASSY STARS!

“I feel the words rising, and they are words I’ve never, ever spoken out loud before. Words that belong to stories I’ve never told. Words that describe the hurt I’ve never expressed. Words that probably won’t capture the guilt I’ve never properly climbed over. I feel them there, these words, powerful, bubbling under the surface like lava, scalding hot and searingly painful.”

***

This book was cute, really cute. I loved the storyline and the characters were amazing!
What d
The Feelgood Book...: Readalong 21 dec - 28 dec: Kerstmis in het Duincafé 56 18 Dec 29, 2019 02:53AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect Author 6 33 Sep 14, 2016 07:05PM

• Dan före dan
  • Mutts and Mistletoe
  • Lentegroen (Onder de bomen #1)
  • Beter laat dan nooit
  • Welcome to Ferry Lane Market
  • Herfstrood
  • After the Rain
  • Starry Skies in Ferry Lane Market
  • Slaap maar zacht
  • Julen enligt Julia
  • Solsken på menyn
  • Der kleine Teeladen zum Glück (Valerie Lane, #1)
  • Winterzon
  • De stroopwafelshop
  • Nattens drottning
  • Halleholm - Lovisas val
  • Christmas on the Island (Mure, #3)

Comfort Food Café (6 books)
  • Summer at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #1)
  • Coming Home to the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #3)
  • Sunshine at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #4)
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
  • A Wedding at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #6)

News & Interviews

In the world of books, witches have been enjoying something of a moment lately. Stories about witches go waaaay back, of course. But in the...
“I am used to solitude and it is used to me. We understand each other, me and solitude. I don’t get annoyed when it keeps me awake at night with its echoing loneliness, and it’s always cool about me sometimes bringing friends home to chase it away for a while. Like a grumpy but dedicated couple, though, we always come back to each other at the end of the day.” 1 likes
“of” 0 likes