Start by marking “Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies

Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In some cooking circles, cast iron gets a bad rep - people think it's old-fashioned, heavy, and hard to take care of. And really, how often do folks nowadays need to hitch up a mule and wagon and leave civilization and Teflon-coated saute pans behind? True, cast iron is old; it's been around since the Middle Ages. And it is heavy. No one can dispute that even a small, cast ...more
Published October 31st 2003 by For Dummies (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies

Danielle
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
My sister moved in with us along with a rusty cast iron skillet and this book. Obviously she didn't read the book. This will be my debut cooking with cast iron and I can't wait to try out some of the recipes . . . after I sand and re-season the pan that is.

***Got my husband to sand down the pan and I seasoned it according to the directions in the book. Looks good, but I haven't actually made anything in it yet ;) I can't wait to try the pineapple upside-down cake, and he can't wait for cornbrea
Sundry
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone new to cast iron cooking
Shelves: nonfiction
I asked for a cast iron skillet for Christmas and received this book along with it. It's a great introduction to caring for cast iron, which is pretty easy but different from how you handle other cookware. I've read all the general how-tos and tried two of the recipes...the ones she said were classic cast iron dishes: pineapple upside down cake and cornbread, and they both came out great.

Shayne
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-book
Surprisingly, the best cast-iron cooking book of the lot at the library. Yes, there are lots of recipes, and most of them look very tempting indeed. But the bulk of the book is the important stuff: caring for, seasoning, using, and loving cast iron. A great primer on the subject. Writer's style is folksy without being overly cute.
Nicole
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not only does a wonderful job explaining both indoor and outdoor cast iron cooking but also goes into specifics of why certain things work, don't work, how to cut up a whole chicken, carve a roast, use soft shell blue crab, etc.
Eric
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad. Simple reading and confirmed everything I already knew about Cast Iron cooking. At least I know for sure now.
Vicki
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you own cast iron cookware, then this book is a must. Gives good instructions on how to care for cast iron and recipes to try. Its a book I plan to add to my personal library.

Terrie
Jan 02, 2009 added it
I am a cast iron convert. This book has the sort of back to basics type recipes I've been looking for.
Martha Tarver
Oct 18, 2017
Tiana
Dec 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“conductor of heat, knowing how to control the temperature and to take advantage of its heating properties is vital when you cook with cast iron. This chapter tells you everything that you need to know. Of course, having a few recipes” 0 likes