Start by marking “Blood Brothers” as Want to Read:
Blood Brothers

Blood Brothers

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A Winnipeg Free Press Bestseller! • In the Margins Book Award, Top Ten Selection • CCBC’s Best Books for Kids Teens (Fall 2017) Selection

Close as brothers, Jakub’s and Lincoln’s lives diverge when Jakub gets a private school scholarship and Lincoln is lured into a gang.

Fifteen-year-old Jakub Kaminsky is the son of Polish immigrants, a good Catholic boy, and a graffiti arti
Published February 4th 2017 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about Blood Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Brothers

Karen Whittard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Dubdurn and Colleen Nelson for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

You will find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under my name Karen Whittard and on Amazon on publication date under k.e.whittard.

This book is fully of edgy depth of characters with characters you will love and wish the best for. You will be rooting for them to do the right thing when all odds are stacked against them. You will invest lots in the character
Alicia
This is the perfect upgrade to stories like Paul Volponi's or Walter Dean Myers' who want some edge but want depth and characterization to boot. Nelson puts together a meaningful assortment of characters that surround the two narrators of the story, Polish American Jakub (Yakoob) and Lincoln (Link) who have been friends for years and tag together (throw up graffiti because of their artistic talents) in the middle of the night. But now things are strained with Link's brother, Henry, out of jail a ...more
Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes my thoughts, or review for this book.

It's been a while since I read a book that I connected to, that I loved, that I read in less than a day. This book was exactly what I needed right now. Not only did it make me think about real issues that are happening today, but it gave me a new perspective on the people who are living the lives like those in this book.

My favorite part of this book had to be our main cha
Dani Iglesia
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story goes with two POV, Jakub and Lincoln, who are best friends since little. When Lincoln’s brother, Henry, got back home, Lincoln tag along with his brother and the gang and Jakub went to a Catholic School. Until then, Lincoln been with his brother and Jakub been busy schooling. Lincoln been part of Red Bloodz where the gang snatch cars and kill anyone who owe them. One tragic gang fight it changes the life of these two person. Their friendship tested, broken trusts, but still yet they kn ...more
Niki
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
NOTE: I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for my review. (The book has since been published in print.)

Koob and Link are two young boys growing up in the tough West End neighbourhood. The story unfolds through their alternating points of view. Both feel the pressures of gang life, loyalties, and growing up, but their responses are significantly different. Link is drawn into the gang life around him, while Koob attempts to fit in elsewhere.

The characters and their struggles are fairly bel
Andrew
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review through NetGalley.*

Alright so I had a tough time with this one. On the one hand I tore through this book. It took me about 24 hours to get through the whole thing which usually indicates to me that I really liked a book. And to an extent I did. However, something just felt off about this book. After thinking about it for a while I’m still not entirely sure, but I think my issue with it is that it just does n
Ruzaika Deen
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to the publisher & Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Another version of this review can be found here

Jakub and Lincoln are more than best friends- you could say they were almost brothers. But things get increasingly difficult for them when Jakub gets a scholarship to an elite private school and Lincoln's brother lures him into a gang, and they are each forced to make tough decisions: School or friendship? The gang or Jakub?

Blood Brothers f
Emma
This book was just so meh. The central relationship, the "brotherhood" between Jakub and Link, was so poorly developed I just didn't care. And caring about that was literally the only reason anyone would read this book.
If I wanna read about gangs and teen angst I'm just gonna pick up The Outsiders again.
Teena in Toronto
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
Jakub and Lincoln are fifteen years old and have been best friends for ten years. Neither comes from an affluent family. Jakub is living in a rooming house with his disabled father, who is a Polish immigrant, and Lincoln lives with his parents and younger brother and is First Nations. At night they sneak out and are talented graffiti artists.

Jakub's priest helps him get a scholarship at an elite private school. He doesn't want to go because he doesn't want to leave Link behind. But once there, h
Lotte
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Dundurn for providing this copy in exchange for a honest review

This review contains no spoilers

Jakub and Lincoln are very close friends, as close as brothers, but everything changes when Jakub gets into an elite private school. Because Jakub isn’t around as much anymore as he used to be Lincoln gets lured into his big brother’s gang.

The beginning of this book is a bit slow in my opinion and I didn’t really know if I was going to end up liking the book or not, but whe
Maddy Max
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 4-stars
Blood Brothers is a story that will probably reminds you that your actions will always have consequences. For the best or the worst.
And I deeply liked this book. Of course, it wasn't perfect. For example, I found the beginning a little bit slow. But I ended up loving the characters and the story. Blood brothers is painful but strong and it definitely worth it.

*Thanks to Netgalley/Dundurn for this arc in return for a honest review.*
Kelly Sierra
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, arc
I really liked this story, but it was a double perspective. You got to see life through both characters' eyes and the lessons they learned. My only problem with this is that I only liked Jakub, his sections even made Link more likable.

3 stars
Casee
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i would read this a thousand times and then some. it was truly amazing, and shows that even though it may not be the happiest ending, it was the right way to end things. defiantly recommend!!
Jerricka Habib
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like the characters were well developed and I was truly interested in their stories. There was never a slow moment because you could sense the danger lurking.
Shauna Yusko
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick read. Alternating characters. Ending not surprising but really liked this.
Sara
Feb 25, 2017
Cee
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens
Blood Brothers is a gritty look into the life of two boys caught up in the events in their gang-infested neighbourhood. Jakub and Lincoln are best friends and love to spend their time making graffiti art on local buildings. However, their love for each other is tested on may levels. Jakub is given an opportunity to attend a high-end private school and Lincoln begins to hang around in the gang house where his older brother is the local boss. Colleen Nelson does a fantastic job of bringing her cha ...more
Brittany
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2017
Mar 20, 2018
Kelsey Jackson
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks, arcs
This book was alright. It didn't stand out to me, and I found the characters to be very annoying. However the story was very realistic, and displayed the unfortunate situations that children in lower income areas find themselves. The writing was also very simple, but that is what i have come to expect from most young adult literature. Overall, I give the book two out of five stars, with the ease of reading being it's greatest strength, and the insightfulness being it's weakest strength.
Jacinta Carter
 Eleanor
Dec 01, 2017
Kathleen Gray
Apr 29, 2017
Colleen Nelson is the author of YA fiction books Finding Hope (2016), 250 Hours (2015), The Fall (2013) and Tori by Design (2011). 'The Fall' and 'Tori by Design' both won the McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award. 'The Fall' was also nominated for the White Pine Award. Currently living in Winnipeg with her husband, two young sons and three grown step-children, Colleen manages to eke out time to ...more
More about Colleen Nelson

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)