Start by marking “Castor” as Want to Read:
Castor

Castor

James Fisher’s memories of Earth are distant, replaced by the harsh realities of life on the planet Castor. As a “Half-Adapt,” James is one of many who were biologically engineered to survive conditions on Castor—and to labor for the benefit of the ruling class. Indentured to servitude, James has no way to defy or escape the severe caste system… until he meets Vidal Centa, ...more
Published June 30th 2016 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Castor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castor

Helena Stone
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m not entirely sure what I expected when I started this book. I’m not a huge science fiction reader—if only because the science part usually goes completely over my head—but I liked the sound of this blurb and I had been lucky enough to get a sneak peak at the first chapter, so even if I didn’t know exactly what it would be, I did know I had to read the rest.

And I’m so glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and found myself hooked right into it shortly after starting the book. It wasn’t l
Daniel Mitton
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews with a copy provided by the publisher / author for an honest review. Rated 3.5 out of 5.0 Love Bytes)

I picked this book off the available book list because the blurb caught my attention when I read it. The idea of a sixteen year old indentured in the distant future, when wars have caused people to use any method there was available to flee the Earth intrigued me.

The story read kind of like early American history and our own indentured servants. Althoug
Louis Skye
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's an excellent addition to the dystopian YA category.

I thought the writing was great; the story was interesting and engaging throughout. I loved the twists and turns.

What I liked most was that the protagonist was very realistic. Too often we get gung-ho born-warriors as protagonists but James is not like that at all. He's just a guy, trying to live his life who gets swept into a war that he knows he won't benefit from. Very refreshing.
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Sci-fi, YA, LGBT--it works on all levels. Thoughtful and well-written, it pulled me in and kept me on the edge of my seat.

Here's my full review at the Prism Book Alliance:http://www.prismbookalliance.com/2016...
Casey Carlisle
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The concept of ‘Castor’ stood out to me most of all – colonising a new planet, refugees terraforming a poisonous atmosphere; and a protagonist coming to grips with his past, a revolution, and his attraction to another man. It had all the elements to make ‘Castor’ a momentous read. But sadly it fell short of a few of these marks.

I really enjoyed the characterisation of the protagonist James, though found the backward politics of Castor to be counter-intuitive for an evolved society. But it worke
Mel Goethals
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story has a very interesting and rich (in history) concept. It took me a while to get everything and put things together, but that’s the point. The story is narrated by the lead character in first person, and while the writing style is very much like you’d encounter in a third person book, there’s still elements in the writing that make sure you don’t forget it’s James telling his story.

I’m glad to have read this story in which most characters are far from black or white. There’s so many de
Amanda
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Castor is a gritty, intelligent, and engaging. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an intriguing Sci-Fi with some romance.

This is a great story. It is descriptive enough to bring the world to life without dragging down the story. The plot is thought-provoking and entertaining. I feel it shows a good grasp of human nature, and I love that it doesn’t over-simplify the kind of social struggles that James is immersed in. The scientific aspects are interesting and believable.
Riina Y.T.
Sadly this was a miss for me, story wise as well as character wise. I continued reading in hopes it would get fun at some point but nada. *sigh*

Personally I just didn't like James very much. The way he thought, spoke, acted... I dunno. Just not the kind of guy I'd be able to see myself in or would love to meet and have a chat with.

The story... well, it started interesting but quickly lost it's spark for me :(

James's love interest seemed like a nice guy but we hardly get to know him, or at least
Ali
Sep 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: queer
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. Gay YA sci-fi - what could go wrong with that? Some of the main storylines didn't feel well developed enough to be believable and compelling. All of the main characters kept conveniently all showing up at the same place at the same time, as if they were the only people on this large planet. A fairly apolitical teenager (the main character) seemed unduly important to a number of powerful people, for no clear reason.

I think the thing that I strugg
Arlene
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book,however I was very disappointed.It's really not sci-fi, except that it's not on earth. There was not one likeable character in the whole book. James, the main character was a coward in every way possible,I kept waiting for him to step up but it really never happened. He and many of the other characters were one dimensional. I didn't like the story very much either.
I feel bad not giving this book a higher rating since this is the authors first book but I can't,
Gene Gant
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the concept and the characters.
Sunne
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What to say...what to say? This was not my usual read, that much is clear.
I'm not very well-versed in the genre of sci-fi so I don't have a lot of books to compare this one to.
I don't know why but while reading it though it reminded me a bit of "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness. Probably mostly because the POV is also a male young adult on a kind of a journey and his narrating voice.

I enjoyed reading it, got invested in the character and the storyline. I found the whole concept, th
Mary
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It captivated me I wanted to know what happens next to such an extent that I was up until early morning just to finish it. Castor is not a really a romance it’s more than that. James is 16 surviving as best he can in a very oppressive regime. Vidal is from the other side, those who own indentured workers. Freedom comes at a price of family and friends for them.
Janice
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-lit
The political atmosphere on the planet Castor is a delicate balance. There are people who have been colonizing this planet since before the war on Earth. The problem is that this planet isn’t hospitable to humans yet.

There are the Unadapted who are the ruling class and the Half-adapts who are the servants. There are Full-adapts who have been born there that neither the Unadapted and the Half-adapts accept.

This is all seen through the eyes of James who was brought to this planet to work as an ind
Jay Hawke
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the distant future, humans will make it beyond the solar system, but some will wish they hadn’t. Poor 16-year-old James Fisher survived an unimaginably brutal war on earth, only to end up being shipped off in stasis to Castor, a colonized planet many light years away, and then had his organs ripped out and replaced so that he could survive on a hostile planet as a virtual slave to a plantation owner. Oh the life of a Half-Adapt war refugee. Add to the equation that James is a gay teen living ...more
rubywednesday
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Another one of those books that I think might have much stronger appeal to a younger reader. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything but it had some interesting concepts. (James being gay and his reluctant involvement in the revolution.)

The characters all felt thinly drawn and there wasn't a whole lot of development. Also, the style removed a lot of the tension. But it was decent enough and I would check out more from this author.
Taylor
Jun 03, 2018
Josy
Jul 24, 2017
Lisa The Novel Approach
2.5 Stars ~ Castor, by Shaun Young, follows James, who’d been transported from Earth to the planet Castor. Because the atmosphere on Castor is unsuitable for breathing for pure humans, those who are transported are adapted while in stasis on a spaceship so that their bodies can tolerate the new environment. As such, he’s considered a half-adapt and, therefore, immediately finds himself in a lower social class than humans who arrived on Castor unadapted. A renegade group of half- and full-adapts ...more
Aurora
rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2016
Filipa
Jan 12, 2017
Shaun Young
May 13, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rez Delnava