Start by marking “Song Maps: A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics” as Want to Read:
Song Maps: A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics

Song Maps: A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics

Whether you're just starting out as a songwriter, you're an experienced songwriter or just looking for a new perspective on the beautiful craft of songwriting, Song Maps – A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics offers fresh insights to help you write your very best lyrics.

Does any of the following sound familiar?
- You worry that the lyrics you write just don't deliver t
Published May 10th 2016 by Great British Book Publishing, London

To ask other readers questions about Song Maps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song Maps

Start your review of Song Maps: A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics
Al Davis
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent songwriter how to guide!

Being a veteran of many songs written, some easier, some harder, it is terrific to now have a system for doing this. It never occurred to me that I was actually following this format unwittingly, but apparently I was. And far expands the process that I had intuitively figured out. Very well written, extremely thoughtful book. Recommended!
Al D.
Bryn
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Song Maps are an excellent way for structuring one's creative energies into certain types of story songs. Having clear goalposts for each section and an overall plan can help writers take an idea to a catchy title and flesh it out into a nuanced work.

I had issues with how this book was structured, and for the inordinate amount of front-matter. The first three chapters of Song Maps made me feel like I'd stumbled into one of those too-good-to-be-true vacation resorts that turns out to be a hard-s
Melissa Smith
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Learning from such a qualified expert was awesome! It is clearing laid out as you would expect from a book called Song Maps. As someone who is not in the profession but enjoys writing as a hobby, I found this book to be amazing.
Sheila
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Makes me think it's possible for (even) me to write songs. ...more
Mattia
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another entry in the modern genre of "Books that could have been blog posts."

There are a few people for whom this book could be particularly useful:
1) Complete beginners who don't want to be bogged down by concerns about quality (I really don't mean that in a snarky way—you need to start somewhere!)
2) People who don't know how to finish their songs and are looking for an external framework.
3) Songwriters in the Worship and Contemporary Christian Music genres who just want to make money and pump
Julie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly Helpful

For those who have lots of melodic ideas but struggle with writing a strong lyric (or how to even start one), this is a great resource!
Brian
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the whole "Song Map" framework. It's a way of structuring your lyrics so that they always propel the song and story forward. Hawkins does a great job of laying out the basics and giving easy-to-follow examples.

None of it was particularly mind-blowing (I've been using many of the concepts in the book for years, but not naming them "Song Maps"), but it was extremely helpful in seeing some techniques more clearly, and being able to articulate the concepts in a way that others might un
Wiley
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am so grateful to the author for sharing his enthusiasm, his craft, his tools.

This is one long, poorly written, repetitive thesis that never once brings any supporting evidence to the table. Like a research paper that never synthesizes or follows thru with any of its claims.

If you aren’t a total beginner, this might help you find some organizational tools and methods. If you are a total beginner, you might be confused by the assumptions, assertions, etc implied by the author.

Also, I’m never g
Herman Fassett
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this over a period of a few weeks just out of interest...
It's interesting, I'll give it that. It taught me somethings, but I think anything in here is stuff I would only use if I had run out of ideas. Sure, part of the idea in here is collecting ideas; I'm not like an actual song writer, but anything I've written has come from just putting pen to paper and not worrying about anything formulaic. This is probably more helpful for someone who has to do this a lot and worry about results.
Alex
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Had some good ideas for writing songs/lyrics but was just meh for the most part. Some good chapters towards the end, but most of the book is explaining why you should read the book...
Niki McNally
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A helpful and interesting approach to songwriting. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in writing better lyrics.
Kenny Smith
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Good basic information for structurally sound lyric writing. The writing becomes monotonous as the book slushes onward.
Bryce McWhirter
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked it!

This book had a lot of good skills and recommendations. I really liked it a lot and I think it’s a good read for all musicians.
Marty
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful

Providing a path to follow in crafting a song - straightforward, concise and simple. I find this book another useful tool.
Nicolai Arangale
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Writing Better Lyrics
  • All You Need to Know about the Music Business
  • How Music Works
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • How To Make It in the New Music Business: Practical Tips on Building a Loyal Following and Making a Living as a Musician
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • Songwriting: Essential Guide to Lyric Form and Structure: Tools and Techniques for Writing Better Lyrics
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Songwriting Without Boundaries: Lyric Writing Exercises for Finding Your Voice
  • Your Year in Art: A project for every week of the year to overcome blank-page anxiety and inspire creative exploration
  • Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
  • The Guardians Collection: Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King; E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core!; Toothiana, Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies; The Sandman and the War of Dreams; Jack Frost
  • One Woman Can Change the World: Reclaiming Your God-Designed Influence and Impact Right Where You Are
  • The Light Fantastic: The Graphic Novel
  • Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps to Effective Storytelling
  • Batman: Kings of Fear
  • Miniature Gardens: Design and create miniature fairy gardens, dish gardens, terrariums and more-indoors and out