Start by marking “They Move Below” as Want to Read:
They Move Below

They Move Below

Fifteen tense tales. One sleepless night.

Horror lives in the shadows.

It exists under the earth's surface in ancient caves; below the vast sea's undulating waves; under dense forest cover; within a storm's thick, rolling clouds; downstairs in our homes, when we hear the knife drawer rattle in the night. Even our minds and bodies harbour the alien under the skin, the childh
Published May 11th 2016 by Organic Apocalypse

To ask other readers questions about They Move Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Move Below

Latasha
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this audiobook in exchange for a honest review.

I liked this! This is a collection of short stories with something that moves below. The stories were good and the narrator did a great job. I would read more stories by this author.
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
As usual with short stories I will review and rate them separately so will keep it short and simple. I'll then give an overall rating of whole book...

TRANSMISSION (PART 1)
This Is just an intro really and part 1 of a 2 part story. Excellent descriptions and a good lead up to part 2. 3/5
IF THAT LOOKING GLASS GETS BROKEN
This starts of innocent enough and becomes quite dark. Would have liked to know a bit more about her son 2/5
THEY MOVE BELOW
A tale of what happens when you mess with things you shoul
Rhian
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I've made a big effort to finish this in daylight! There are some seriously creepy stories in this one, I especially liked They move below, just telling stories, claws truth forebear, sinker ( beware fishermen) and creeping jesus which really was creepy! Anyway I love Stephen King's short stories and I loved these too so I hope that persuades you horror fans to try this one
Nerdish Mum
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
16 stories - 16 mini reviews

Also on my blog I have a link to a read your own adventure of the first half of Harvest Festival!! http://lifeofanerdishmum.blogspot.co.uk/

Ok so if anyone is still around (I don't blame anyone who isn't because I'd be over there reading through right now myself) I'll share my review of the 16 stories contained in They Move Below.

The first story is Transmissions Part 1 and it is a kind of introduction to the book with a narrator contemplating darkness, the man is very
Richard Dominguez
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed, shared
*** I received the e-book in exchange for an honest review ***

I love a great anthology regardless of the genre and "They Move Below" was my cup of tea. The stories are well paced and creepy. I thought it was written well enough forme to read with the lights blazing in each room I sat in to read.

A definite recommendation ......
Fungi From Yuggoth
Horror, like most genres, possesses a plethora of tropes. Utilizing them again in the same old ways is never entertaining, but playing a new riff on old tropes is. Witness: Karl Drinkwater's THEY MOVE BELOW (SUSPENSE HORROR BOOK 2) is a case in point. In fifteen tales, Mr. Drinkwater looks into the Shadows; and discovers the Shadows are looking back at us. Read in the daylight, or read with a friend; but don't read alone.
Emma
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love a short story collection. I’m one of those readers that likes to feel as though they are making progress through a book and a short story collection is perfect for that. All of the stories in this collection are a great length, normally taking somewhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes to read from start to finish (I am quite a slow reader by the way!).

The stories all are individual in themselves, some with added shock factor whilst others sent chills down my spine. I particularly enjoyed
T
Karl Drinkwater scares me. And I mean that in the best way possible.

I was first introduced to his work, courtesy of his book 'Turner', and even found myself re-reading that not too long ago. That's saying a lot as I usually don't re-read horror books. 'Turner' didn't lose it's zing upon a re-read and neither does this, his latest work.

Yes, it's true. I ended up re-read a couple of the stories included in this compilation because they are just that well written. I found myself being creeped out
Gordon Mcghie
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen stories in one volume and chills guaranteed. Harvest Festival is one of my favourites (I read it again). I also really liked a story called Creeping Jesus – think Disney’s Night at the Museum with an 18 certificate!

I am not going to run through each tale and single out the high points (plus I am saving a few stories for later so have 4 or 5 still to enjoy). What I can confirm is that They Move Below is a great collection of dark tales. Nobody is guaranteed to come through a story unscath
Ginny Clyde
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read horror but the description of this book attracted me to it. It claimed of terrifying things everywhere- any place you looked. I was sceptic at first but after reading through all the short stories in this book, I have changed my mind. There are things lurking in the most innocent of places that are just waiting to grab you as their prey.

My favourite perhaps is Creepy Jesus. A tale that would be make any young person think twice about playing pranks. The story was short but i
Dax Munro
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection of mind-boggling scary stories is one to inspire. The collection is remarkably well written, with imagery that will chill you to your very bones. I felt that a few of the stories could have been a little longer, to ground their ideas, but all in all, a fantastic read.

Some of my personal favourites were Creeping Jesus, The Harvest Festival, Just Telling Stories, and Breaking The Ice. All of the stories contained well thought out plots and built tension gradually, drawing the read
John-Michael Lelievre
I don't usually read anthologies, but I figured I'd be in safe hands with this one, as I thoroughly enjoyed one of Karl Drinkwater's other works, "Lost Solace".

I usually don't read too much horror either, as I find a lot of it derivative, and too reliant on elements like gore, instead of a story with substance. There are no such problems here, while there is a bit of gore, there certainly isn't a reliance on it to entertain, and focuses more on the psychological aspects of horror. These stories
Morgan Bell
I am blown away by this collection. Every sentence is stunningly crafted in this literary masterpiece. From standard horror schlock to intimate think-pieces and character studies, Drinkwater has been smart and thoughtful with his delivery of tropes. For me the stand-out was the title story They Move Below, a lost-at-sea psychological eco-thriller using the vastness as the ocean to mirror the great unknowns of outer space. A lot of time and care was put into the order of these stories and the aut ...more
Shanna Tidwell
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of stories and a lot of originality.
Wonderful narration.
I will definitely be looking for my by this author.
Nothing super scary but still a great collection.

I was voluntarily provided this review copy at no charge by the author, publisher and or narrator.
Sam
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow on Sci-Fi & Scary.
Em Frappier
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection of creepy tales. Liked the variety of stories. Good stuff.
Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of horror books and found each of the short stories in They Move Below nice and creepy. Some were more chillers, some were hide under the covers terrifying.

My favorites were Harvest Festival and Regression specifically due to the characterizations of the protagonists and the lovely descriptions of the setting.

Though the plots of each story grows in tension as they reach a climax, my only negative comment is the point of view decisions of some of the stories hurt the pacing. For exa
Lainy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 398

Publisher - Organic Apocalypse

Blurb from Goodreads

Horror lives in the shadows.

It exists under the earth’s surface in ancient caves; below the vast sea’s undulating waves; under dense forest cover; within a storm’s thick, rolling clouds; downstairs in our homes, when we hear the knife drawer rattle in the night. Even our minds and bodies harbour the alien under the skin, the childhood nightmares in our subconscious.

In this collection of sixteen tales Karl Dr
Wesley Thomas
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, could a horror collection get any more diverse?
Not just in the content but in the presentation!

A superb collection of chills, thrills, and mind-f*cks!

There are plenty of great stories in this bunch, but my favourites are a story told through two separate police interviews, and the haunted museum. These two for me were incredible. The police interviews were unnervingly realistic, making it all the scarier! The characters were also realistic. In fact, I thought of people I used to know ma
Linda Hill
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a full review and a post from the author too here https://lindasbookbag.com/2016/07/10/...
They Move Below is a magnificent collection of stories. Even though one or two made me feel uncomfortable, the lesson here is that horror really lies in who we are as humans and how we treat one another. The obsessive love of the mother in If That Looking Glass Gets Broken is shocking, but completely believable. So too is the insidious escalation of events in the brilliantly structured Overload.

What
latybug
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free download of this book from Story Cartel, thank you!
Most of the stories in this collection were well done and I enjoyed them. There were a few that were totally predictable, but were so well-written that I found myself getting seriously spooked anyway. I could definitely see some of them being made into Twilight Zone-, or Tales From the Crypt-type short films.
A couple of the stories left me hanging, and I wanted to find out what happened next, because I couldn't quite determine
D.
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Talk about shivers and skin crawls... I'm still recovering. All these wonderful short stories, every one of them different and only varying on the scales weighing 'creepies' by the emotion and the level of it. Good sized tales, very reminiscent of Stephen King early days and Skeleton Crew, (and we all know where 'Children of the Corn' went on to become). I especially didn't like the one where he was lodged in the dark crack underground, no... come to think on it... there was a few I especially d ...more
Alyson
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A creepy, unsettling collection of stories, not in the 'bloody gore' genre of horror, but the more terrifying 'normal' circumstances type.
The stories have believable characters and plots, everyday situations, but, tinged with disturbing stuff. For example, one of my favourites is 'Creeping Jesus', which isn't religious, but is about a school boy who gets left behind on a school trip to a museum, and it doesn't turn out well for him! We've all been in museums, we've all seen strange objects, so w
James Marquis
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an impressive, creative collection of dark tales. The writing moves along well and the dialogue is sharp and interesting. The thing I liked most, however, was how the author made an effort to mix up the presentation of the stories...some are straightforward narratives, a couple are interviews, another one uses social media and a couple other are "transmissions". This is something more writers should make an effort to do.

My favorite stories were They Move Below, Harvest Fest, Breaking t
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 3.5/5
Short and twisted. The majority of them left me with a feeling of dread. This will be a collection I return to when I need a quick fix of horror. My favorites included “if that looking glass gets broken,” “web,” and “the scissor man.”
On a whole, it reminded me of Stephen King’s short story anthologies, which are among my favorites. (See the notes at the end, which have always been my favorite part of King’s short stories.)
*i received a copy of this book in return for my review
Michael Sturgis
There are three stories in this anthology that will stay with me for a while. It is a solid collection and I look forward to reading more of Drinkwater’s work. I should note that I did receive this collection free with the understanding that I would leave a review. I read a lot of anthologies. My favorite overall takeaway from this collection is the way the author was able to put us inside the heads of vastly different characters. That aspect really is masterful. A few of the stories didn’t keep ...more
Catriona
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, Scary, Snacks...With Bite

This is a book of short stories, each seemingly so short that it's hard to account for how disturbing they are. The title story really got me, but they all left me with dreadful images that will be hard to forget. I loved it!
Julie Cohen
Beautifully crafted, thoroughly enjoyable horror stories by a fine writer. I was reminded of Stephen King's horror short stories: there's a similar technique of creating immediately well-rounded characters and then doing unspeakable things to them. I was scared shitless and loved every minute.
Billy Buttons
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: They Move Below
Writing Style: 7/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 7/10
Of the 16 readers:
12 would read another book by this author.
11 thought the cover was good or excellent.
14 felt it was easy to follow.
13 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
10 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.

Readers’ Commen
Dawn
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have really loved this collection of stories had I read them as a young teen. Although I did enjoy reading most of them, I didn't find them scary, and there were a couple that were disappointing.
Karl Drinkwater is originally from Manchester but lived in Wales for twenty years, and now calls Scotland his home. He's a full-time author, and was a professional librarian for over twenty-five years. He has degrees in English, Classics, and Information Science.

He writes in multiple genres: his aim is always just to tell a good story. Among his books you'll find elements of literary and contempor