Start by marking “Eleanor & Park” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  756,656 ratings  ·  61,949 reviews
Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on
Published February 26th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor & Park, please sign up.
Kai Its totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic…moreIts totally "nothing ever ends" from the Watchmen. Bear with me here, why would Rainbow Rowell even mention the comic or that line from the comic unless it was significant in some way? Plus, if it were that would be some crazy foreshadowing genuineness.
Also, reading comics together was the beginning of their relationship and a big part of their life together. Its simple, beautiful and would be pretty brilliant writing. (less)
Marina The Spanish translation actually says there were two words... And "I love you" has two words in Spanish ("te quiero").

Just my two (or three xD) cents.

·  756,656 ratings  ·  61,949 reviews

Steph Sinclair
Mar 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Green fans
Recommended to Steph by: Everyone
Should I break out in song and dance to "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep?" One lonely star. I'm just as surprised as you are, considering I just KNEW going into Eleanor & Park that I would love it, love it, love it. What reason would I have to believe otherwise? Almost all of my friends loved this book and have sworn fealty to the Goddess of Feels and Might, Rainbow Rowell. And I get it because she is a pretty awesome person and I think she is totally lovely. So trust me when I say I REALLY wanted to ...more
Emily May
Edit 5/19: It's been 6 years since I read this book and it has not aged well: https://twitter.com/naomigiddings/sta... This just shows how much we really needed not only diverse books but #ownvoices authors, too.

He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
"I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered.

I'm d
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you've experienced that first love - that heart-wringing, soul-squeezing, crush-the-air-out-of-your-lungs-whenever-you're-apart first love - this book will bitch slap your feels all to hell.

I love it. I love its warmth and its vibrancy, its heartache and its pain, its humor, its meanness, the ugliness, the beauty, the crying, the laughter, the sarcasm. I love Eleanor and I love Park, and I love that there's still a tiny chance for them...and for everyone whose first love was torn away.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
HOLY BATMAN THAT ENDING. I'M A MESS. THAT HURT, BUT IT DIDN'T AT THE SAME TIME. WHAT IS THIS FEELING EVEN? NYEAAHHH.
Cinda
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse, ya
I've often said that nobody should write for teens who doesn't remember what it was like to be one. Rainbow Rowell remembers, and has captured it beautifully in this book.
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description

I want everyone to meet you. You're my favorite person of all time.
Replace "person" with "book" and you know how I feel. This book just swept me off my feet

We have Eleanor, "Big Red," the new girl in town.

Her home life is in shambles - she's the oldest of her siblings and she's developed enough that her stepfather has started noticing. (Yes, you read that right).

We have Park, half-Asian in a town full of whites, who's the coolest kid in his school.

His life is not going to plan - his youn
Lola
I should have read Eleanor & Park during winter, when it’s freezing outside.

Because it completely warmed my heart, and it’s so hot already, I thought my heart would burst into flames inside my chest.

Believe me or not, but I always thought I was immune to the usual young adult romanticism in books. You know: hand holding, shy smiles and flushed cheeks. I didn’t think I would ever feel actual butterflies reading a YA contemporary romance book.

But I did. And it took me by such surprise that at
Nick
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice.She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

____________________________________________

5 PERFECT STARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never read contemporary books. I have read like 4 maybe till now and didn't really like them. Anyway I decided t
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I fully admit that I'm a sucky book reviewer. This book for me was so personal that this review is just for me.
Eleanor is just that girl. The weird one that people pick on. Who knows exactly why? She doesn't stand up for herself, she doesn't fight back. I was that girl. This is me my 10th grade year.
 photo 023_zps56102e5a.jpg

If this book had been around then I would have completely worn the pages out. As it is I feel like highlighting and just re-reading the thing until it falls apart.
Talking about Romeo and Juliet El
Duchess Nicole

READ THIS QUOTE, MY ROMANTIC HEARTED FOOLS...READ IT AND LET YOUR HEART GO PITTER PAT...
`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~`*~
““I don't like you, Park," she said, sounding for a second like she actually meant it. "I..." - her voice nearly disappeared - "think I live for you."
He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
"I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since
Maria
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Wait a fucking minute. There are no more pages? It just ended... like that? Rainbow Rowell, why do me like this? Do you not love your readers? Why would you leave it hanging there? I NEED CLOSURE. OR MAYBE A SECOND BOOK. Or a movie. Who the fuck knows? I know I'm dying right now.

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this i
Nat
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads, reread
“She never felt like she belonged anywhere, except for when she was lying on her bed, pretending to be somewhere else.”

I randomly decided to read Eleanor and Park again because I have no chill.
Also, I recently picked up Fangirl (for the tenth time), so that definitely had a weighing hand in whether I should reread more of Rainbow Rowell's stories. But I don't have any regrets for rereading this wondrous book.

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic f
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.

*Reviewer's Note (added 2/5/2016)*
Please be aware that I have turned off all notifications for this review and do not check or respond to comments. It's not that I don't like y'all; it's just that I'd rather spend my time talking about books that I actually, ya know, like.

I have thought about Eleanor & Park everyday since I read it two months ago.

That’s not a compliment.

In some respects, my attitude is perhaps not terribly fair beca
karen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
years after everyone else, i have finally read this book. and now i'm all caught up on the zeitgeist! phew. and damn, now i understand why rainbow rowell is so beloved. i mean, i read Fangirl and thought it was excellent, but this one, while it is not as good as Fangirl, does a couple of things so freaking well that it gave me all the swoons and the swirls.

rainbow rowell has this ability to tap into the teenage experience that is a little spooky. and while john green gets all the credit for bei
Ariel
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have so many thoughts and ideas and things I want to discuss, and I can't possible put them all here, but here are some of my main thinkings:

1) PARENTS: Parent's are such an integral part of teenage life - they are the reason you can do things, the reason you can't do things, the reason you have money, etc. This book had parents that were just as important, interesting, and developed as the main characters and I so appreciated that. I especially enjoyed Park's parents: they were so complex and
Tiffany
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know I said I wasn't going to do a review, because I feel that my status updates are pretty telling enough, but...

First, I just don't see Park's parents as a good example of a couple that "made it" against all odds, as John Green implies. There is NOTHING in this book about how or why they fell in love. As an Asian woman, I look at it through a more disbelieving lens. It sounds like a white man "saving" an Asian woman from her "poor," "lower-rung," "terrible" life. She is basically forced to a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 3/7/19

UPDATE 2017: Look at my new special edition of the book! I love it so much! The inside pages on front and back are awesome. I love the new cover too ♥

They met on the bus.

Eleanor was the new girl, the girl with the vibrant red hair, the one everyone made fun of, but if they only knew what she had to go through at home.

Park is the quiet boy that just wants to be left a lone to do his own thing. He's the only one that would let
✨    jamieson   ✨
for people who saw my original review, I want to say I still 100% stand by everything I said. the reason I'm deleting it is because, as a white reviewer, I didn't want to talk over East Asians who have reviewed this book and talked about why it was racist. So I will briefly list my issues with it, and then link to #ownvoices reviews instead. They say what I did and much more but are written by Asian reviewers who's experience and knowledge is better then mine

THE ISSUES I HAD

• sterotyping of Park
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
‘You’re not the Han Solo in this relationship, you know.’
‘I’m totally the Han Solo,’ she whispered.
‘You can be Han Solo,’ he said, ‘And I’ll be Boba Fett. I’ll cross the sky for you.’

This book is one of the best things I have ever read, and I don’t care who you are, if you have feelings, you need to give this book a shot. Eleanor and Park is most definitely on my favorites list and I don’t think I will ever get over this amazing book or the flood of emotions sweeping me away right now.

The st
Federico DN
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes you don't get to choose who you love, you just do.

In this novel we learn the story of two little odd birds. "Eleanor", fire redhead, awkwardly dressed, wide. "Park", weird, silent, asian. Two little school misfits slowly getting to know each other during the everyday bus ride to school. From an annoyed greeting insult, to an incomprehensible unconditional love.

Beautiful YA novel, bestseller, moderately short. A pretty safe bet for anyone who enjoys the Young Adult genre. A lot of beaut
Elena
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
❝He made her feel like more than the sum of her parts.❞

Eleanor & Park. The book that changed my life.

RE-READ: February 24, 2018

RE-READ: July 5, 2016

First time read: Sometime in 2014.
Claudia Ramírez
4.5 stars.

5 stars for Park.

-.5 for the ending, which I liked, but not quite enough.

It was hopeful, BUT NOT ENOUGH. I was smiling when Park smiled at the end, but that's it. Eleanor was so frustrating some times, I was afraid Park would get tired of her, BUT NO! Park really loved her and he was so cute and in my mind I made an epilogue in which they both have their happy endinggggg.

I loved this book. SO, so, so adorable.
Charlotte May
Yuck. I’m thinking maybe Rainbow Rowell’s books aren’t for me.

So, about two days after I started this book, it blew up all over twitter for being racist. As a white reviewer, I'm not in the right place to comment on this. However if you want to read a POC's commentary here is the link https://twitter.com/naomigiddings/sta...

As well as this - I have many other reasons why this book was not my cup of tea whatsoever.
At the very least, anyone who knows me will know that romance is NOT my genre. Why
jessica
so i actually read this awhile ago, but i held off on writing a review because i had a difficult time expressing how i felt about it. i found myself rationalising my rating based on how i wanted the story to be, and not on how i actually felt about it. i still think 3 stars mights be too generous, but im going to leave it for now.

my problem with this was i just didnt believe in the romance between eleanor and park, which is fundamentally the entire purpose of this story. i know rainbow rowell h
Christy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: Jennifer Kyle
5 stars!

photo 20824a81-2911-4d85-b4f2-28c544caf86c_zps7rxmlkxt.jpg
“You’re my favorite person of all time.”

Eleanor & Park… this has been sitting on my kindle for a year. HOW has this been just sitting on my kindle for a year??? First off, I’m going to say if you have this book, don’t let it just sit on your kindle. Read it, listen to it, whatever. Just make sure you don’t overlook this one. It’s a book that deserves to be read. These are some of the most special characters and Rainbow Rowell writes some of the best YA ever. So read the book.

Candace
Wow! There was so much about this book that I really loved. 'Eleanor & Park' was touching and beautiful in it's simplicity. This book captured the essence of first love and the perils of high school, while also tackling some serious issues, like abuse.

I listened to the Audible version and I have to give kudos to the narrator(s). The narration was extremely well done. The voices of the characters really drew you in and made you feel like you were right there in the moment with the characters.
caren

This book was everything I've been searching for since Anna and the French Kiss. It gave me that melty, clenchy feeling in my chest, the warm fuzzies in my stomach. I was basically a mess throughout the entire thing. These two characters had my emotions going up and down like someone was beating on them with one of those sledgehammers at a carnival, trying to get them to climb to the top of that lit up pole again and again. And every time I thought they couldn't go any higher, Park would do or s
Ryan
1.5/5 stars

DNF at page 195

Apologies in advance to anyone who liked this book. This is simply my opinion.

Looks like it's time for another unnecessarily long gif-filled rant review, folks.

My friends, after this book:

Me, after this book:

description

Never have I ever been happier to check a book out from the library.

Did I even read the same book as everyone else? I was expecting a swoon-worthy misfit love story. Did I get that? Nope. I got whiny characters and angst. A lot of angst.

Seriously, a more app
Chloe
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
i read this years ago and loved it but i need to change my rating because i would hate this if i read it now
Around the Year i...: Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell 17 111 Sep 15, 2019 02:51AM
EDST 3333: Eleanor and Park 1 2 Sep 04, 2019 08:26PM
Eleanor & Park 1 5 Sep 04, 2019 05:51PM
Questions About E&P (may contain spoilers) 87 2382 Aug 31, 2019 05:13PM
eleanor & park: what are the last three words? 28 274 Aug 26, 2019 09:19AM
the final page 2 2 Aug 01, 2019 12:30AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Underground Railroad
  • How It Went Down
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever, #2)
  • Being Henry David
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Audrey, Wait!
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” 8439 likes
“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.” 2772 likes