Start by marking “Left-Hand Gods” as Want to Read:
Left-Hand Gods

Left-Hand Gods

Elizabeth Avigaline has spent her whole life hiding because of the magic in her blood, a gift to left-handed people from the Left-Hand Gods.

People like Beth have been hated, feared, and burned at the stake in Cadarnfel for over three hundred years, ever since magic broke the old Empire. But the new Queen is left-handed, and things are finally changing.

Beth leaves the safet
Published July 2016 by Hadley Rille Books

To ask other readers questions about Left-Hand Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left-Hand Gods

Start your review of Left-Hand Gods
Wendy S. Delmater
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story opens with Beth, using a drop of her blood to do magic in secret, calling on the Left-Hand Gods. She’s spent her whole life hiding from being executed because of magic in her blood, and she’s tired of being hemmed in, living on the edge of the blighted lands caused by the last Magic Wars. Her mother worries she will be killed for being a magic-user, but Beth hears that the new queen is a magic user as well, so she casts a spell to break free of her confines.

Her spell allows Solas Brigh
J.L.
Disclaimer: I am acquaintances with the author; however, I purchased this ebook for full-price.

I abandoned this book at about 30%. I really enjoyed the world-building and magic system at play, and I really loved all the characters. Except, unfortunately, for the main character. Beth was a mixture of "chosen one" tropes and fainting flower that didn't work for me as a reader.

I still highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a solid high fantasy with some delightfully unique twists.
Megan Lynch
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I was eager to give away as soon as I finished it because I loved it so much that I wanted to share it. Lackey’s talent for intricately-woven plot and subplot is apparent throughout, outshined only by the development of her characters. Even minor actors in Left Hand Gods feel multi-dimensional and worth getting to know. Normally, the books I read are exclusively from the library, but I ordered this one online and I’m so happy I did; this is a book you need to own.
Jenn Scott
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A total delight!

I LOVED this novel. This is high fantasy at its very best: a fantastical setting, a well-paced and multi-layered plot, and, best of all, genuinely compelling characters.

I won't rehash the plot here, but I have to say that the plot blurb still doesn't quite do this story justice. For me, this book was like the fantasy equivalent of the horror film "You're Next". It is an extremely faithful product of its genre, mostly devoid of that sort of wink-wink-nudge-nudge meta commentary t
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Left-Hand Gods is the awesome debut novel by Jamie Lackey. This is an amazing Fantasy story, complete with full back history and a host of wonderful characters. Beth (Elizabeth) has been hiding the fact that she possesses magic for as long as she can remember. Her life is very insular, with no friends and a fiance she doesn't want. A member of the Royal Court turns up and changes her life. Be prepared to meet Gods and Goddesses, Dragons, Magic Horses, and Avatars.

Seriously, I am running out of
L.A. Croft
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing debut novel by a very talented writer! Lackey's story has a cast of interesting, believable characters set in an intriguing world that clearly took time and effort to build. Beth's spirit, vulnerability, and dry sense of wit make her a winsome protagonist, and the style of storytelling feels like your smartest friend telling you a beautiful tale. This book is impossible to put down after Chapter 3, so don't! It's a GREAT read.
Anya
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely recommend you check this one out if you are in the mood for fantasy that is a bit different but still has favorite elements.
Charles
rated it did not like it
Feb 29, 2020
Dawn Obrien
Sep 11, 2016
Paul Anderson
Sep 12, 2016

• Christakis's Rebellious Wife (The Legacies of Powerful Men #2)
  • Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard, #1)
  • The Italian Demands His Heirs (Billionaires at the Altar #2)
  • The Moonspinners
  • Podkayne of Mars
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
Jamie Lackey lives in Pittsburgh with her husband and their cat. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford in 2006 with a degree in Creative Writing. She studied under James Gunn at the Center for the Study of Science Fiction's Writer's Workshop in 2010 and has taken various workshops with Cat Rambo. She primarily writes science fiction, fantasy, and horror short stories.

She has