Start by marking “Hard Stick (Breakaway, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hard Stick (Breakaway, #1)

Hard Stick

(Breakaway #1)

Published June 13th 2017 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Hard Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Stick

Start your review of Hard Stick (Breakaway, #1)
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Ooohh good one with plenty of twists!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I loved a few things about this book.
1) The story is not what you think.
2) The plot actually had some great twists and interest other than sex and hockey

I have enjoyed many books by L.P. Dover and this one was a bit of a surprise with the plot. When the cover leads you to assumptions about the content, you can get hung up on that. We are expecting a sports style read, judging from the gorgeous hunk of body going on. This is Not
Sabrina
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I don't know how it's taken me this long to read this story since I've read all the others in this series already, but I'm glad I finally went back and read this one. Kellan and Kristen were both enjoyable characters and it was fun getting to see how they first met after seeing them already together in the next books.

I can't say it was my favorite Breakaway novel though since there were things that just didn't make sense to me while reading. Mostly the fact that
❤Sana❤
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, series, sports, 2017, netgalley
3,5 stars!

ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first book to author L. P. Dover and I must admit that it wasn't what I expected at all.

I am a cover bitch. Unless the author is already known to me, most of my bought, requested or borrowed books are based on the cover or the blurb, the reason why Hard Stick sat on my kindle the moment I saw it on Netgalley.

When I'm picking sports romance novel to read then I'm expecting to find some sport. The rush of
Liv ☾
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
4 STARS!

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

That was insane I don't even know what to say right now...
Viollar
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, netgalley
3.5 Stars..

I want to say i enjoyed it so i will just say i enjoyed it.. :-)

If you are a fan of hockey this is not the book for your (don't let the stick on the coverpage fool you)..but if you are me and know nothing about hockey (hey, am East African- ask me about lions and their habitat i will talk your ear off) then this is the book for you.

The book has a twist that revolves around the heroine and her crazy ex that i really enjoyed..i enjoy these types of stories.. the whole damsel in distress
Karen Mc
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it

When I opened Hard Stick by Leslie P. Dover, I expected a hot hockey romance. What I got was so much MORE!!! Hard Stick is not a light hockey romance. It's a story of danger and desire meets strength and survival. Hard Stick is a fast-paced, heart-thrashing thriller meets hockey romance.

Beautiful bartender, Kristen, and hot hockey captain, Kellan, are MAGIC together!!! They have a combustible chemistry that is unstoppable and both are kind souls. I LOVED them! These two characters are
The Book Lover
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wish that this book came with the warning of very little hockey and a lot more drama than necessary.. in fact it should be a mafia/FBI book! Within 3 chapters your head will spin out of control from all the drama... the time jump was unnecessary and I couldn't feel any connection between the hero and heroine... I'm still trying to figure what I read.. this author sadly is a hit or miss for me yet again
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)

This is not a sports romance. The hero happens to be a hockey player, but the story isn't really about that at all. Its really about a girl in the witness protection program.This book is really more of a contemporary romance similar to her Second Chances series, just about a hockey team instead of a football team.

Kristen picked the WRONG guy. Now, because of it, she is living in a town under a different name and has to fake her own death to try and get him to abandon his pursuit of her.
~Mandi~
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hard Stick
Breakaway # 1
L.P. Dover

This was so not the story I was expecting. It was so much more. This isn't your typical sport romance novel. From the first chapter to the last , you will be wanting more.

Cocktails and Books
This book and I didn't really get along. I think it was because there was a guy with a hockey stick on the cover, but this was more of a romantic suspense book where the guy happened to played hockey. The suspense was good, the romance was OK, but in the back of my mind, I kept waiting for the hockey romance element.
Theresa Alberts
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Hard Stick by LP Dover is the perfect book if you are looking for suspense and a little action packed in with some hockey...I do love my sports books.

Its too late when Kristen realizes the man that she is involved with isn't who she thought he was. A controlling, obsessed liar, Mitchell makes sure that everything happens the way that he wants it to, no matter what the casualties may be. Her only option is to run with the clothes on her back and change her name until Mitchell is behind bars.

Treena
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me an ARC of this book!

This is my first book by this author. I requested for an ARC bec sports romances are one of my favorite tropes. But the best thing I can say about the story is that it was bland. Not quite meh. Not bad. Just bland. I finished it but am I keeping it on my Kindle? Nope. Sorry.

1) I think the problem is that there was too much going on but the author didn't really delve deeper into the critical themes/issues that were outlined. Scenes were
Jan
5 Buttercup stars.
Wow! I couldn't put this down.

Hard Stick is not what I expected at all. Yes the main character is a hockey player but the main focus is on Kristen.

Kristen is on the run from her crazy, ruthless and powerful ex and with the help of the FBI changes her identity, fakes her own death and starts a new life.

Kristen works in a bar where Charlotte strikers hockey team regularly meet up.
Kellan has been relentlessly trying to get Kristen to go out with him for a year.

With the Faking
Kim
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY!!!!***

WOW!!!! Totally not at all what I expected. I went by title,author and cover. The saying goes don't judge a book by its cover is true to this. L.P. Dover totally has your mouth drop and edge of your seat. Lots of excitement. She did a wonderful job on thus story. The characters were wonderful. Fighting for what you want in life and doing all you have to do to survive!!! L.P. Dover really knows how to throw a few great twists in a story. The author did that with
Jordan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabookclub, m-f
3.5/5 - I almost feel awful for not liking this book, because the general consensus seems to be that Kellan is a sexy mofo and these two are great together, but I just didn't feel it.

But let me explain! First off, the characters just felt a little... generic? to me. It isn't really so much that Kellan was a bad character, because he wasn't, I just don't think he was much of a character at all. And that's something that I find is common with the male component of M/F romance novels. The male
Lisa Venn sims
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kristen's life was about to change she never would have thought her life would end up on the run getting mixed up with Mitchell was the biggest mistake of her life he was obsessive and he would always find her but was she strong enough to fight back to get her life back after he tried to destroy hers

Kellan lived his life on the ice a professional ice hockey player he had everything he could want except a good woman until he meets Kirsten would he be able to break down her walls and give him a
Danielle from Short and Sassy
Mar 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
When I got this book, I thought it was going to be a hockey romance book. It wan not and it was more of a mafia/crazy ex book more than anything. That is not my type of book. So, in all honesty, I did not finish this book because for me it dragged. Just not my cup of tea!
Ruth
Oh my goodness I hated this book.

So, let's start at the beginning. Apparently I asked my library to add this book to their e-holdings. I do not remember doing this, but I've been on a sports romance kick lately and this is a hockey romance, so I probably did, because they sent me an email saying, "We got that book in for you," so I read it.

That was my first mistake.

Okay, one, this is not a hockey romance. This is a romance in which the hero is a hockey player. There's a difference. Also, I am
Beth
Title: Hard Stick
Series: Breakaway #1
Author: LP Dover
Genre: Sports Romance but read like Romantic Suspense
Publication Date: June 13, 2017
Cliff Hanger: No

4 Stars

*This story is for mature audiences only. Contains explicit scenes and language intended for adults 18+

Synopsis:

Addicted2Books
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

description

Hard Stick starts out with a bang and keeps on delivering. Unfortunately, the danger is anticlimactic and leaves you thinking, "Is that it?" The buildup doesn't particularly match the suspense factor. The "connection" Kellan and Kristen have could've been more substantial. I loved the story, however, it has flaws. There is a few characters from previous L.P. Dover books (although, this is the first book I've read by this author) and they were kind of random.

My criticism of the anti climatic

Diane Lynch
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, hockey-romance
L. P. Dover scores with HARD STICK the first book in the Breakaway series. Charlotte Strikers’ enforcer, Kellan Carter, falls for bartender, Kristen Robinson. Kristen is reluctant to get involved with Kellan due to her daunting past. This contemporary sports romance is suitable for adult audiences. It takes place in Boston and North Carolina.

HARD STICK was amazing. The plot had a little of everything: mystery, drama, conspiracy, romance, hockey, tragedy, humor, and hope.

The characters are
* A review copy was provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review *

~ 5 Not What You Expect Stars ~

Hard Stick is truly a book that is a case of Don’t Judge a Book By It’s Cover, but in the BEST way possible.

This is my first L.P. Dover book and I am extremely happy I took a chance on a new author to me. After reading this book it just means I now have to go back and read all of her books.

This was an AMAZING book!!!! I will warn you if you go into this book
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-love
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of the book.

I so thoroughly enjoyed this book; it had so many components I just love in romance. It's not a straight sports romance - while the male lead (Kellan) is the captain of a professional hockey team, that is not the main focus of the book. He is handsome and GOOD and emotionally available and GOOD - without being a sap or a punk (there's a fine line there). Kristen (the female lead) is hiding from a troubled and dangerous past but I love
Karen
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC NetGalley

I really loved how serious it started...I wasn't expecting "serious". I thought fluff and flirting. Well, "serious" was suspenseful and horrible.

I enjoyed how Kirsten took her survival seriously with training and exercise. She was a strong smart woman!

Kellan was perfect. I liked how the story had a nice flow and when Kellan and "Ten" got engaged we were happy for them.

Lots of surprises keeps us in suspense. Kellan is a great book boyfriend!!

Thanks to author for ARC as it was a
Heather andrews
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Kellan really doesn't like being cut off from sex, "grabbing her ***, I held her to me so she could feel what she did to me. “I have plenty of testosterone, buttercup. You can’t do this to me.” I liked this book, Kellan was such a good guy.
Sandy S
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date: June 13, 2017

He carries a big stick. And he’s not afraid to use it.

On the ice, I’m Kellan Carter, powerhouse enforcer for the Charlotte Strikers. Off the ice, I’m just a regular guy. The last thing I want is to get mobbed by a bunch of groupies who are only after me for my fame and money. My ideal woman knows how to enjoy a little good, clean fun—and maybe some not-so-clean fun too. That’s the kind of girl I’d never let go.

When Kristen Robinson, the
Christi Snow
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This book had its ups and downs for me. Those first couple of chapters were riveting...and more than a little heartbreaking. I enjoy romantic suspense so that aspect of the story line worked for me.

There were a few other things that worked for me...
* the book was easy to read. I didn't have any problem sticking with the book or the book dragging at all.
*I liked the bits of hockey that were on the page. There wasn't much, but what there was worked for me. I especially liked the scenes
My Girlfriend's Couch Blog
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I have to be honest, I have never read an L.P. Dover book except her Society X series that she co-wrote with Heidi McLaughlin, so when I had a chance to read my first book from her, I had to take the chance. I am so glad that I did!!! I loved this book! In fact, I have even read Blocked (Breakaway #2). WoW!!!! I am loving this entire series.
* My review for Blocked is on its way…

Hard Stick is the first book in the Breakaway series. We are introduced to the players of the hockey team, the
Ruthie Taylor
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

I would just like to start by saying that one of the things that I loved about this book was catching up with Brooklyn - featured in Camden's Redemption. There is always something rather special about finding old friends in a new series, and she was so perfectly placed too!

This is a fast paced book with a lot of FBI/danger issues which stem from a very bad previous boyfriend choice by the female lead, Kristen. She is
Downward dog
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review for Netgalley and Cocktails and Books.

This is a sweet, fun story with suspense and intrigue thrown into the mix to make it a satisfying read. I enjoy everything L. P. Dover writes and I love stories about hockey players, so I was excited to read this and I wasn't disappointed.

Kristen is forced to take on a new identity when she runs away from her psycho boyfriend. She is devastated when she leaves her
Bargain Basement: $15 Amazon Gift Card 1 2 Jun 14, 2017 03:36PM

• Game On (Aces Hockey, #8)
  • Shut Out (Bayard Hockey, #1)
  • Slap Shot (Aces Hockey #5)
  • Down & Dirty (Lightning, #1)
  • Playing Hurt (Aces Hockey, #6)
  • Dax (Arizona Vengeance, #4)
  • Play to Win (Wynn Hockey, #1)
  • Top Shelf (Aces Hockey, #3)
  • Icing (Aces Hockey, #2)
  • Cross Check (Bayard Hockey, #2)
  • Big Stick (Aces Hockey, #7)
  • Score (San Francisco Thunder, #1)
  • Bishop (Arizona Vengeance, #1)
  • Game On (Hometown Players #6)
  • Lucas (Cold Fury Hockey, #8)
  • On the Line (Hometown Players, #5)
  • Winning It All (Hometown Players #4)
  • Erik (Arizona Vengeance, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author L. P. Dover is a southern belle living in North Carolina with her husband and two beautiful girls. Before she began her literary journey she worked in periodontics, enjoying the wonderment of dental surgeries.

She loves to write, but she also loves to play golf, go on mountain hikes and white-water rafting, and has a passion for singing. Her two

Breakaway (4 books)
  • Blocked (Breakaway, #2)
  • Playmaker (Breakaway, #3)
  • Off the Ice (A Breakaway Novel)