Start by marking “Bat's Children” as Want to Read:
Bat's Children

Bat's Children

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Arwel and his family are bad stock, everyone knows it and they're happy to say it—but left with a towering debt and no means to pay it, survival means living on the wrong side of the law. Arwel has little doubt his life will end via the hangman's noose, but the risk of execution is better than the alternative.

Tomi makes a living buying and selling pretty things, including
ebook
Published July 6th 2016 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about Bat's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bat's Children

K.A. Merikan
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100, history
Cool, original historical story. I live in Aberystwyth so it was fun to read a book set in the area.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever finished a short story and one of the best compliments you can pay it is that you wish it’d have been longer, that was Bat’s Children for me. But that’s not to say this isn’t a complete story in itself—it is. That’s only to say that I’d have gladly spent more time in the world Sylvia A. Winters portrayed, with Ceryn, Emyr, Arwel and Tomi.

Set in Wales in the time of highwaymen who held up travelers at gunpoint and unburdened them of their valuables with a cool efficiency, this is a
Misty

18th-century highwayman stories is something I absolutely love and they are rather rare in the m/m romance genre. I thoroughly enjoyed Bat's Children, its Welsh setting and Sylvia A. Winters's easy writing style which drew me in from the very beginning. There's danger and adventure but there is also a dark undercurrent atmosphere to the story which has to do with the abject poverty and the despair Arwel and his siblings have been experiencing virtually all their young lives and it's done in a ve
Gcassidy
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was really quite good. Usually, historical fiction isn't my thing when it comes to romance as a sub-genre, however, this, just a little reminiscent of The Highwayman was really original for the genre. I really wish that this was a fully fleshed novel, it would have been great to get a little deeper in the world and the characters.
Joyfully Jay
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

For such a short story, the author more or less successfully pack in multiple characters that serve as more than set dressings and deliver a story line that would be meaty enough to constitute a whole novel, never mind the 50-odd pages of this story. While I wasn’t blown away by the writing, Winters does a decent job at descriptive writing that helps set the mood and the scene.
Unfortunately, the same attention to detail is hit-or-miss with the cast of characters
Reader
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Wasn't clear what time period I was reading about. AU, historical, fantasy? The story of three siblings trying their best to stay alive on their own took place in Wales. There were carriages and horses; other than that I couldn't grasp the when.

Tess
Jul 06, 2016
Kate
Jul 23, 2016
Raimonda
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
ConM
Jul 18, 2016
Aerulan
Aug 10, 2016
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - Bat's Children by Sylvia A. Winters - CLOSED 20 28 Jul 22, 2016 10:39AM
When not roaming the city of Bristol looking for functioning internet, I spend my time watching various T.V. shows, reading, tying cardboard tubes together for my rats to play with, and drinking herbal teas.

I write romance fiction, usually m/m, but with the occasional f/f pairings. I most enjoy writing paranormal fiction, but I have been known to dabble in contemporary and historical sub-genres.

I