Start by marking “Grace and the Fever” as Want to Read:
Grace and the Fever

Grace and the Fever

In middle school, everyone was a Fever Dream fan. Now, a few weeks after her high school graduation, Grace Thomas sometimes feels like the only one who never moved on. She can't imagine what she'd do without the community of online fans that share her obsession. Or what her IRL friends would say if they ever found out about it.

Then, one summer night, the unthinkable happe
Published May 16th 2017 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Grace and the Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace and the Fever

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t even know how to review this. It hit SO CLOSE to my one direction loving heart and I am overwhelmed by da feels. Just know, I liked this A LOT. Buddy reading it with Jane was the best possible experience. If you are or ever have been a directioner, READ THIS BOOK.
✶Rachelle✶
Jun 25, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2017, contemporary, romance, ya
DNF @ 55%

Well I made it further this time. And my opinion has mostly stayed the same, but with a few changes.

1) This book is written in third person present tense. It reads like the Planet Earth documentary, and it is extremely annoying (even though I was imagining David Attenborough's voice narrating). This POV and tense combination invites the reader to be outside the story and not actively engage with the characters. In turn, it makes all the little quirks and annoyances the characters have s
Kevin Fanning
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fanfic-adjacent
Many books will tear your heart into pieces, and this one does. The difference is that after Grace and the Fever breaks your heart, it gets down on the floor with you and sews every piece of your heart back together.

If you've ever been a part of a fandom you will EXTREMELY relate to this book. But it's not just for fandom people, at all, and it's definitely not just for 1D* fans. It's for anyone who's ever just loved something, A LOT, and wondered what could ever take its place when you felt th
Catie
Here’s the short version of my review: this is a really great book about a girl in that liminal summer between high school and college who becomes unexpectedly swept up with a boyband, the very object of her secret obsession. It’s a book that deals with all the messy, uncomfortable parts of both fandom and being a teenager, and recognizes the power and danger in both. You should read it, even if you're not into boybands or fandom, because the story is compelling (I think) beyond those facets.

But
Seda
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yazar bu kitabı neden yazmış anlayamadım. İnatla sonuna kadar okudum, ki bu kitabı bitirdiysem, bundan sonra başka kitapları hayatta yarım bırakmam. Aşk, aile, arkadaşlık hiçbir konu yoktu. Tek konu, Grace’in bir müzik grubuna hayran olması ve bu grupla yaşadığı 1-2 olaydan ibaretti. Ergen triplerini içeren kitapları bile mumla arattı.

Yazar, hiçbir şey anlatmadığı gibi, kitaba bir son yazmayı da unutmuştu. Sanki bir serinin giriş kitabı gibi epilog kısmı deriiiiiiiin bir boşluktan ibaretti; yokt
Jill
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The delicious, bittersweet sister of Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl. In Grace and the Fever the protagonist crosses paths with the singer of her favorite boy band. What follows is a thoughtful ode on celebrity, summer vacation, fandom, and girlhood. It will make you tremble, even if your expiration date for boy band obsessiveness came and passed long ago.

Romanoff's greatest trick is taking fanfiction tropes—your average Betty Sue meets gorgeous world-famous teenage idol! They maybe fall in love!—and i
Natalie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this and I'm still trying to pin down why. Gracefully messy, an accurate portrait of the intricacies of fandom, and full of friendships and relationships that are satisfyingly tangled and bittersweet.
Meg
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Did I finish this book in one day? Yes. Does that mean it was good? No.
Adrienne
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't think there's another book quite like this, and I absolutely love it.
Laurenhat
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-fandom, ya
Grace and the Fever is a pretty good YA book. It’s about a girl who’s a huge fan of a boy band (Fever Dream), a blogger and a tinhat shipper — she believes two of the band members are secretly dating — who then accidentally gets sucked into their world. She finds that all is not what it seems from within the fandom, and she gets to know the bands as people in all of their various complexities.

It’s also about a girl about to go off to college, struggling with how to maintain multiple identities
Christy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four reasons why fangirls will love Grace and the Fever

She’s flawed in a way all of us fangirls are. I don’t know about you but if you put me in front of the members of All Time Low, I lose my ability to speak and have to remember to ACT COOL. At age 33, Even though I’ve met them more times than I can count. So when Grace ends up in a room with her boys, she doesn’t exactly do the 100% right thing. But she does do what most young fangirls might do.

Her online engagement is on point. If you are i
Sophie Brookover
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 2017-finished
The first in a group of really well-executed books published this year that aren't about One Direction, but are TOTALLY about One Direction.

Grace is about to head off to Kenyon College when she has an unexpected encounter with Jes Holloway from Fever Dream (think Harry Styles combined with Zayn Malik) that upends all her notions of what it means to be a fan, along with her understanding of herself as an expert in the band she loves.

Grace is very quickly swept up into Jes' world, walking a trick
Asif B.
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grace and the Fever is one of those books that burrows into your heart and just kind of hangs out there for a little while after you finish it. It's like, the comfort of recognizing yourself in a story. I was never a part of 1D fandom, not really, but I'm well acquainted with obsession, and Zan Romanoff clearly is too. It's such an empathetic book, for both the fan protagonist and the objects of her fandom. Romanoff is interested in humanizing everyone involved, and ultimately finds peace in the ...more
Kim
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE, 8/29/18: Reading this again was just... It was magical? I have little additional insight to give, but here, quick, a quote I posted a year ago in an in-the-moment update that I think deserves more airtime:

"you can't make homes out of human beings
someone should have already told you that
and if he wants to leave
then let him leave
you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love"
- Warsan Shire, "For Women who are 'Difficult' To Love"

This is a book about man
Amy!
I loved this book. I loved the writing in this book. This is the kind of writing that I would dream of writing if I were a writer. It was so lovely and dreamy and perfect. I'm not a habitual highlighter, but I highlighted THE SHIT out of this book; there were just so, so many phrases and sentences that were so amazingly written that I wanted to remember them all. Big thanks to Two Bossy Dames for the recommendation, without which I never would have picked this up.

I think my biggest complaint wa
Book Riot Community
Grace is a recent high school graduate who is holding on to a secret: she’s still a huge fan of Fever Dream, the boy band everyone loved in middle school. For Grace, the band is still an important part of her life. (She spends a lot of time squealing over it with strangers online.) Then she gets the chance to meet her idol, and she learns the truth about celebrity. A smart coming-of-age story about learning how to move on when you realize the things you think define you are no longer important.

B
Aminah Safi
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book in the deepest places of my heart, where fandom has gone to reside and where the grumpiest teenage piece of me lives. This is a forever book.
***
I don't write real reviews. I write my experience with a book. Why? Because I have books that when I read I would have rated them two stars. And I ended up moving them from Houston to LA to Houston to LA to Chicago to LA to Oakland and (whew, finally) back to LA. My favorite books are the stories that stick with me. I'll hand out five s
Mara
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is basically the book ship it wished it was
Carly
I very much enjoyed this book; its the fastest that I've read a book in a long time, but I do think that its a flawed book. I think that it needed a better editor.
Katherine Locke
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well THAT was a delight
belle jane
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so much more amazing than I thought it would be! The writing and the characters went above and beyond my expectations, and I even found the plot enjoyable. Any member of any fandom will relate to this book and, more importantly, enjoy it. :)
Nerdette Podcast
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's about a teenage girl who loves a boy band, but it's also about the best and worst parts of fandom, the delight you find when you come across your people, and, perfectly. the patriarchy.
Jenne
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's been a WHILE since I read a whole book in an afternoon. All the feels and an unexpectedly complex ending.
Amanda
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 stars, rounding up.) It's still rarer than it should be to read a book that gets fandom culture in the Tumblr age right, but this one does and it really informs the entire book, from the characters down to the story. I haven't been in a boy band fandom, but I've definitely been in fandom and felt like I couldn't explain my "internet friends" or what I was doing online till 2:00 am to my family or "normal" friends. I don't know if you need that background to enjoy this book, but as someone w ...more
Nicole
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a hard one. I don't know how I feel about it. For a while it was tough to read just because it was the point of view of a larry, someone big into larry fandom, and that was just super cringey and second hand embarrassing to me. The romance between Grace and Jes was nothing I didn't expect or hadn't read before, it was cute. I guess what bothered me was the accuracy of the tumblr posts dissecting everything "Land" and "Solly" did. It was too real. I was uncomfortable at the lack of fourth ...more
zan
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SWOON. If you have ever been a fangirl of anything, this book will make you absolutely DIE on every page. It was so much fun to read. (I totally neglected a full morning of errands because I had started reading it over my coffee and it was so impossible to put down.) My heart raced and fluttered along with Grace's; at several points I could barely stand it and had to throw down the book and squeal because I was so excited by the potential of her fantasy come to life.

Best of all: no one out ther
mayday
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYBODY WITH A BEATING HEART??? IDK
so after MONTHS of waiting for hard copies of this to show up in my local stores, with no luck, i finally remembered google books was a thing--so i caved and bought it today and read it all on my phone in one sitting.

AND NOW I'M DEAD, I'M SCREAMING AND DEAD AND IN HELL AND MY HEART IS TORN INTO A MILLION TINY PIECES AND I DON'T EVEN CARE BECAUSE THIS BOOK WAS SO SAD AND REAL BUT ALSO SO REAL AND GOOD AND I'M NOT EVEN EMBARRASSED THAT I AM GOING TO BE YELLING ABOUT THIS UNTIL THE END OF TIME

Maia
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I spent about two years deep in 1D fandom, and every note of this novel rings perfectly true to that wild, roller-coaster experience. Grace is caught in the limbo between high school graduation and college when a chance encounter with the lead singer of Fever Dream spins her life sideways. He's not even her favorite member of her favorite band- she's spent more time thinking about half of her OTP (who's ship name happens to be only a few letters away from Larry....) But one thing leads to anothe ...more
Andrea Olsen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Isn't meeting/befriending your favorite boy band every teenage girl's dream? This book was super fun, and an interesting look into fandom, escapism and teenage girls in a way that was really smart.
Allie (alliembooks)
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is the book of my teenage heart. It reminds me so much of the fandom hype that surrounded bands like the Jonas Brothers and One Direction. While I was more into the Jonas Brothers, I still was really into One Direction so a lot of the elements of that fandom are very recognizable to me.

Zan Romanoff really understands what it's like to be a teenage girl in love with a bad and so deep into the fandom for that band. All of the events that transpire in this book feel like realistic fanfict
b. Los Angeles, 1987

I write about food, feminism, television, and books. Oh, right, and teenagers.
“other than the girls, he’s the person most likely to be able to identify her, and if Jes really is in trouble, they won’t want her around to cause any more of it.” 0 likes
“She wanted to be with people who loved what she loved. Who felt that love all through them like fire, like light.” 0 likes