Start by marking “Petrified” as Want to Read:
Petrified

Petrified

Gunhild is a private in the Royal Army. She’s headstrong and reckless, but she’s also the best troll hunter in the country, and when a troll gets away with a national treasure, she’s the only person with any chance of getting it back.

Kirabo was on his way home to Aberash after a fulfilled research mission, but he managed to enter the wrong coordinates into his spaceship.
Published August 15th 2016 by Solstrand Publishing (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Petrified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Petrified

Start your review of Petrified
Anne
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway!

This was a fun little adventure that I enjoyed more than I had expected.
The writing style was very simple and included a lot of dialogue, which made the book a fast and easy read. The length was fitting for the amount of plot.
The way the different backgrounds of the characters were interwoven was done well and believable, which surprised me. I also really liked that there was a small part taking place in our world; it was cute and a nice addition.
I liked
Chai
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaway , but this has not influenced my review.

Gunhild is the best troll hunter in the kingdom, but she is also careless, impatient and constantly putting herself in danger . that was until the amethyst crown was stolen by a troll , therefore ,Gunhild followed it (the troll) to the Troll Island in order to get the country's most valuable treasure back . there she met Kirabo, an alien from an advanced planet and his robot RJ , so, they go on a
Samantha Abigail
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaway.

I really did not expect that I'd like this book so much, at first I thought mixing robots, trolls, and aliens in one book was hard to pull off, but the author managed to execute this concept amazingly well! The medieval + sci-fi genre was unique and the storyline was refreshing, not to mention the absence of romance. I am not exaggerating when I say that this has to be one of the most fascinating books that I've read.

(view spoiler)
Fredrik
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skj-nnlitteratur
Artig liten sak. Noe så sjeldent som et moderne eventyr med både troll og romvesener.
Passenger B.
I received this novel via "Goodreads Giveaways" in exchange for an honest review.
This review contains spoilers, please proceed at your own discretion.

I really do believe the idea of mixing a medieval Fantasy world with Sci-Fi is completely brilliant and I hope that Mr. Moriarty Solstrand will keep writing, I would definitely give another of his books a go myself.
And though it was also straining I enjoyed pushing myself in trying to understand the Nynorsk (Bokmål only here! 15 years later I
Lars Martin
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fresh take on the young adult genre. Was a great time and I was sad when it was over.

And for some reason the ending made me cry.
Dawn West
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for honest review.**

Knights, trolls, and aliens? What a strange, yet awesome combination!

Gunhild is a royal knight. She is a fierce female with a knack for taking down menacing trolls, far exceeding the deeds of her fellow knights. Yet, when the time for a promotion comes around, she is passed up. Furious, she demands an answer as to why, only to learn that her overzealous and fearless work ethic makes her a danger in a
Kerri Murphy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by this book. It was good. Background story about divorced parents, whose love for their child, bring them together to make a one of a kind story for their daughter. Two different views, from two different people. The story they made up was good also. A strong warrior and a pacifist.
Wendy
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
Shelves: fairy-tale
In "Petrified" a short novel which I won through Goodreads Giveaways Oalf Moriarty Solstrand combines trolls, knights, an alien and robot in a creative and unique plot that begins with a bedtime story. To get Ylva to go to sleep her mother weaves a fairytale adventure that not only captures her imagination but eventually unites her divorced parents in the telling.

It begins with Gunhild as strong-willed and impulsive knight sent on a reconnaissance mission to Troll Island in the middle of the
Fatima
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me long to start reading it, for I had heaps of books on my list, but when I started it I couldn't put it down and I ended up finishing it in one setting.
A. Musquiz
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was sent an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When the book first starts out, I really liked that it followed a young girl and her mother as they get ready for bed. The young girl asks her mother to tell her a bedtime story and from there, the story of Gunhild is told. I loved that the book felt like a bedtime story because of the setup.

The story is very much a unique one. It was so different than a lot of YA books I've read in the past and not just because of the world and
Donnielle Tyner
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, when I first saw the cover to Petrified, I will have to say the spaceship and young girl in a medieval getup intrigued me. Then the blurb added a bit a fuel to the fire and I wasn’t wrong to pick up this novel.

Trolls + Robots + Aliens = so much yes!

Petrified is THE most unique YA novel I read this year. It’s like Lord of the Rings meets Independence Day except the main character is a kick ass teenage heroine and a sassy robot side kick thrown in the mix. It was obvious to me that Solstrand
Catfantastic
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denne er den første norsk boken jeg klarte å lese. Jeg fikk den gratis fra en norsk side anbefalt av min venn. Første var jeg skuffet at det begynte på Nynorsk, fordi jeg har lært bare Bokmål, men med standhaftighet fant jeg at jeg klarte å lese litt: man må holde hjernet åpent gjennom hele setningen, og la ord ordne seg. Og da nådde jeg et kapittel på Bokmål, det var jubel!

Første inntrykkene mine er selvfølgelig litt tåkete, fordi jeg forsto bare veldig litt på utgangspunktet, men det ble
NymStorm
Thank you to the author and Goodreads for this giveaway !
I'm not going to rate this book because I don't really know what to think about this story. It wasn't what I was expected, in this kind of science-fiction/fantasy story, there is usually more world building, which is what make me like a book or not, and in this case, we don't really know anything about the planets of the characters. The book is quite short, which is maybe the cause of this absence, but I a more used to world-building like
Maria
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review.*

"Oh no, yet another Katniss/Triss somewhat dystopian feminist YA novel?" After 20 pages I was rolling my eyes so hard it hurt. And then everything changed for the better.

This novel turned out to be something completely different, in a 100% good way. Trolls, aliens, knights, oh my! "Petrified" has an interesting plot, vivid imagery, and it was quite funny, too. The Harry Klein bit made me guffaw. I ended up spending my
Chrisie
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through goodreads giveaway.

This was a nice, fun and quick story. :) I loved the genre mash-up. I didn't read the synopsis right before starting so I was surprised at the sci-fi entrance, but it made sense with the way the story is told.

The 'storytellers' narrative could have had me rolling my eyes, but it was done well enough that it helped and didn't hinder the story.

Story-wise it was good, but I could have used a little more character building to really solidify
Theresa
I really enjoyed this, found it a fun mash-up of fantasy and sci fi, neither genres I normally read. Loved that the warrior is a fierce girl. Very clever and unique format to have the story be the alternating chapters of a bedtime story told by each divorced parent separately while not 'copping' out into an unrealistic reconcilliation. This was a find and an author to watch.

Read primarily as my Scandinavian Fantasy read for the Scandinavia House 2017 Nordic Summer Reading Challenge. Also fits
Matthew Cobb
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great breath of fresh air this book gives. Yes all the elements have been done before, but never together. But more importantly the pulling together of the elements is brilliantly done. Great characters and beautiful storytelling.
I must admit that this was a good reads giveaway, so thank you for listing. This needs word of mouth as it were, so for my part, please do give Petrified a chance. It's different, fun and I will certainly be looking out for future books from the author!
Shaz Webster
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very much like the recipient of the story in this book, I found myself wanting to know what happened next all the time. Like most books though this was not predictable and this made it more enjoyable.
A solid 5 stars from me, bring on the sequel.
Jeanette
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
I won this book not that long ago in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I gave this book to our local village hall after I had finished. It was an enjoyable story and am hoping that there are others in the village who will also enjoy.
Kristine Thurston
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norwegian
Fun!
M.
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads
Female lead troll hunter - what's not to like? I won it in a contest and it was a good read.
Steve Martinson
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Steve by: Goodreads
I won this book on a Goodreads Giveaway. This was kind of an unusual book. The framing story is about a young girl, who is spending time between two divorced parents. She asks her mom to make up a bedtime story; so the mom starts telling her about a young woman soldier who goes to a nearby island to scout for trolls. She, naturally, leaves a cliffhanger; so the little girl asks her dad to continue the story. His story takes off on a sci fi note, rather than the mothers more medieval feel. The ...more
Ylyth Maeve
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
A very nice story with solid characters and interesting plot.
Stephanie Duffrin
Jan 09, 2017
Stacy Wachtel
Jan 12, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Merging two profiles 3 49 Oct 12, 2017 11:21AM

• Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, #3)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
  • The Selfish Gene
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)
  • The Perfect Weapon: How the Cyber Arms Race Set the World Afire
  • Brief Answers to the Big Questions
  • Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)
  • Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1)