Start by marking “The Cask of Amontillado” as Want to Read:
The Cask of Amontillado

Read Book* *Different edition

The Cask of Amontillado

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  51,375 Ratings  ·  1,022 Reviews
The Cask of Amontillado, a classic short story! This title features historical and illustrative photos, as well as brief author biography and insight story analysis.
Published January 22nd 2008 by Creative Education (first published November 1846)

To ask other readers questions about The Cask of Amontillado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cask of Amontillado

Glenn Russell
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic tale of revenge. Since there are dozens of posts here, my review will take a particular slant: what German pessimistic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer has to say about the psychology of revenge and how the revengeful narrator in Poe’s tale relates to Schopenhauer’s insights.

Schopenhauer says we all suffer as the result of nature or chance but, as humans, we recognizes that is simply the way life works. He then writes, “Suffering caused by t
Jeffrey Keeten
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
”A succession of loud and shrill screams, bursting suddenly from the
throat of the chained form, seemed to thrust me violently back. For a
brief moment I hesitated--I trembled. Unsheathing my rapier, I began
to grope with it about the recess; but the thought of an instant
reassured me. I placed my hand upon the solid fabric of the catacombs,
and felt satisfied. I reapproached the wall; I replied to the yells of
him who clamoured. I re-echoed--I aided--I surpassed them in volume
and in strength. I did t
Stephanie
Creepy classic short story --- a tale of revenge a la Edgar Allan Poe!

The story starts out with Montresor, the narrator, stating his purpose:

“THE thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely, settled --but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the i
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Possibly my favorite Edgar Allen Poe story! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Our narrator Montresor, an Italian nobleman, explains ― in a suspiciously vague way ― how his friend Fortunato has mortally offended and insulted him. Montresor sets himself on a course of implacable revenge … but he wants to do so in a way that Fortunato understands that Montresor is the source of revenge, but without being caught or punished.

Montresor and Fortunato meet during a carnival festival ― whi
James
Book Review
4+ of 5 stars to The Cask of Amontillado, a Gothic short story written in 1846, by Edgar Allan Poe. Perhaps one of my favorite of all Poe's works, this literary genius stimulates one of everyone's deepest and scariest fears: to be buried alive. Though there are several macabre options to consider, in this fantastic tale set in Italy, a man is buried alive behind a brick wall. Poe goes to great lengths to describe the process, the emotions and the setting. As a reader, you are entr
Michael
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typically this is considered a tale of revenge. I'm going to go out on a limb and argue that it's not. The only notion we have of revenge--of the narrator, Montresor, actually being wronged--comes in the wonderfully vague opening sentence: "The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge." It's Montresor himself who insists this is a revenge tale, but of course he's the ultimate unreliable narrator, so we shouldn't take him at his ...more
Sanjay Gautam
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9/10

Loved the way Poe portrayed this tale of revenge; climax was unexpected but left me quite satisfied.
Mohsin Maqbool
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

The Cask of Amontillado is one of Edgar Allan Poe's darkest tales and loved by people all over the world as it is Gothic horror at its best.
The narrator, Montresor, opens the story by stating that he has been insulted by his acquaintance, Fortunato, on numerous occasions and he wants to exact revenge. However, he wants to do so in a measured way without raising any suspicion. He knows that Fortunato is a connoisseur of wine. He approaches Fortunato during a carnival wearing a mask of black silk
Lizzy
"I must not only punish but punish with impunity”
Have you ever thought how revenge could be at its worst? Well, Poe with his dark ingenuity gives us a splendid lesson. A scary glimpse to the idea of revenge carried with meticulous precision. Poe presents us a placid and dark story that is deception at its finest.
“The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, howe
Stacey
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, for the love of wine. This was frighteningly creepy!
Dimitri
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
"Well, Bart, your Uncle Arthur used to have a saying: "Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out.' Unfortunately, one day he put his theory into practice. It took 75 federal marshals to bring him down. Now, let's never speak of him again."

description

In Latin, the Simpsons could substitute the Montrésor family motto: Nemo me impune lacessit . maybe Montrésor should stop listening to the voices in his head?

This is really a story that needs to be read in your teens and again when you're older and hopefully, wis
Carol
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."........hehehe

Oh No! Another carnival, but this time set in 18th century Italy.....with a tipsy jester, the connoisseur of fine wine, and a super creepy atmosphere in the pitch black dampness of the catacombs far below where a deadly revenge is put to bed. Yikes!

EDGAR ALLAN POE - 1846

(enjoyed it more second time around!)

Jean
The Cask of Amontillado (1846) is a brief story story by Edgar Allan Poe. It is told by an unreliable narrator, just as "The Black Cat" and "The Tell-tale Heart" are. It includes a favourite theme of Poe, which he had also used in "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1839) and "The Black Cat" (1846) - that of (view spoiler)

The story is entirely about revenge, the bottle of sherry merely being a device to entrap the victim. Although there is a theory that the sto
Quirkyreader
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read. And like always, Poe never disappoints.
Kelly
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the only thing I enjoyed reading at Catholic school. A fellow student's scribbled creative curses on the margins of our religion class handouts nonwithstanding. Poe's atmospheric talents are undeniable- the man even inspired Baudelaire with a new level of excitement (the dark, brooding kind of course) about how dark life can be. It shall thrill my inner 14 year old heart forever.
Ayman Gomaa
تجربة جديدة و غريبة
الغرابة ان فى قراءتى الرابعة ل ادجار الان بو الغرابة لو تعد تمثل مفاجئة لى

"لقد عقدت العزم على الانتقام "
قصة عن الحقد و الى اين ممكن ان يسيطر على الانسان
الحقد الذى يودى بالانسان الى الانتقام بافظع الاساليب

ليست ممتعة ولكن مخيفة
“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on. (Montresor)”
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Just an okay short story with a very eerie ending.
cindy
I didn't seem to learn my lesson. Do not listen to Edgar Allan Poe audiobook when you think you are alone! It will give you arrhythmia. For sure.

Yeah, I did that (again) during lunch break, it was quite, so I took my phone, put my earphones and listen to this, The Cask of Amontadillo (I read The Sherlockian a while ago and it was mention by ACD character, hence 'curious'). Closed my eyes... and listened.

Arrhythmia!!

The story itself was rather straight point. Fortnato did something that insult Mo
Bookdragon Sean
Poe writes like a man obsessed. His stories linger on recurring fears, and the subsequent deaths caused by paranoia. This one felt claustrophobic, like it was enclosed and encased in a veil of darkness and petty revenge. As soon as the characters entered the eerie catacombs it became apparent where this tale was going; it was like a big spoiler: it became obvious that only one would leave alive because that’s Poe for you.

Try to resist his words:

“A succession of loud and shrill screams, burstin
Tweety
Don't read this at night!

I'm not quite sure what I think of this, I like Poe, I like his words, his spine tingling suspense and his gothic aproch. But what was this? I will never, ever go down into the catacombs. Ever. Not like this sorry soul...

It was horrid, and very good. But I don't entirely understand what happened and why, so three stars is about right. I liked The Raven better.
José
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásicos, university
English | Español

A short story of revenge told from the point of view of a mad narrator. There isn't much to say about this story without spoiling the ending, other than the mystery lay in the narrator's motive for murder.
It explores one of the topics that characterized Edgar Allan Poe's writing, although I think that he wrote it better in other short stories.
The ending is very powerful, as it usually happens with his stories, but it wasn't one of my favourites.

-------------------------------

El
A. Dawes
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The Cask of Amontillado 4.5* Like most of Poe's stories, this haunted me long after I finished it. What atmosphere could be more chilling than a man murdering another for revenge at Carnivale time in a unnamed part of Italy? The protagonist, Montresor, somehow holds Fortunato accountable for his own decline in fortunes. Fortunato (obviously relating to fortune) is a happy, respected and an admired member of society, who has risen through the ranks, possibly with the aid of The Freemasons. He is ...more
Fernando
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unos de los cuentos de venganza más logrados de Edgar Allan Poe. Por cuestiones de spoiler, no puede uno comentar mucho acerca del cuento, pero sí establecer que si algo caracterizaba a Poe era esa genialidad para los finales de sus cuentos. Es por ello que el formato de cuento moderno existe a partir de él.
Sundus HameedUllah Khan
Nothing like a story about burying someone alive, right? This particular story is known as Poe's perfect piece that illustrates the horrors of evil.
Foad
در اين داستان، به خلاف قلب رازگو، انگيزه ى قتل چندان مهم نيست. بيشتر صحنه پردازى و فضاسازى اهميت دارد. آلن پو همان اول به شما مى گويد كه قرار است قتلى رخ دهد و در ادامه، با دانستن اين حقيقت وحشتناك، به راحتى فضايى تاريك و وحشت انگيز مى آفريند.
توصيه: اين داستان در تاريكى شب و تنها بخوانيد.
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, classic, fiction
This is one of the strangest short stories I've ever read. Incredible and unforgettable, it's a classic that really makes its readers think.
Sarah Marie
This rating still holds up years upon rereading and this continues to be one of my all-time favorite short stories.

5 stars
I had to read this for school and I absolutely loved it. Maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I read it for school and we talked about irony. Talking about the story made me think more into it and now I think it's brilliant. I had already been intrigued, but the story just proved to be amazing.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 5

Plotastic Scale: 5

Character Scale: 5
Lör K.
Read in a compilation

Rating: 3 / 5

This is a classical horror story from Edgar Allen Poe. This is the story of a man and his friend sampling a bottle of liquor, only for things to turn drastically wrong.

I didn’t think much of this story. It started off fair enough, and was well written, but the story made no sense. There were no reasons behind the main character’s actions, and it caused a lot of confusion for me, trying to understand why this was happening. I enjoyed the story, but it was confusi
Emad Attili
description

يا قلبي عليك يا فورتوناتو!!
ما هذه النفسية السوداوية البنفسجية الجحيمية للمختل العقلي مونتريسور!

description

أحداث عجيبة .. وقصة غريبة جداً! غريبة لأنها على الرغم من ظلاميتها وعتهها إلا أنها رائعة فوق الوصف!
لا أستطيع أن أقول أن القصة غير حقيقية أو غير واقعية .. أو أنها من نسج الخيال المريض للكاتب العجيب إدجار آلان بو! بل على العكس تماماً، بالنسبة لي فأنا أرى هذه القصة حقيقية جداً، وأبعد ما تكون عن الخيال!

فكما نعلم جميعاً، هذه هي عادة الأدب .. يواجهنا بكل جرأة وجسارة وصراحة ووضوح بحقيقتنا البشرية الضعيفة التي
Old Books, New Re...: July 2012 - The Cask of Amontillado 40 94 Jun 10, 2017 06:22PM
Horror Aficionados : The Cask of Amontillado & Poe goes to the movies 4 21 Oct 24, 2015 08:03AM
Morales 2341 Spri...: Crazy Personas 32 20 Apr 09, 2015 11:34AM
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Minister's Black Veil
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • The Story of an Hour
  • A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • The Lottery
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works
  • To Build a Fire
  • The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times
  • Press Enter
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on. (Montresor)” 57 likes
“Yes," I said, "for the love of God!” 32 likes