Start by marking “The Edge of Brilliance” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Brilliance

The Edge of Brilliance

Volatile and unstable, Amy stands at the precipice. Will she fall into the chaos and despair of insanity or ascend into brilliance and redemption?

Amy Miles is fifteen and crazy. Or, at least that’s her greatest fear. Her severe bipolar disorder, with its roller coaster manic and depressive episodes, is ruining her life. Yet in Amy’s mind it is accepting the pills and thera
ebook
Published July 19th 2016 by Finch Books

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Brilliance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Brilliance

Shanannigans
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book was a tough one to review. Though the nature of the story is extremely important, and the message adequately conveyed, I had a hard time finishing the story. It may have been the writing style that I didn’t care for or possibly the dialogue, but something just didn’t sit well with me. One of the problems was that I can’t see teens relating well. Though this is a YA book, it’s quite apparent that it comes from an adult POV and I actually think it may be too mature for younger readers.

I
Lynda Dickson
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 15+
Shelves: young-adult
Fifteen-year-old Amy Miles has bipolar disorder. She's not happy about taking her meds and seeks other ways of making herself feel better, such as taking illegal drugs. Things spiral out of control and Amy ends up in a residential psychiatric facility. There, she learns how to cope with her illness through counseling, group therapy, and medication - but only after she figures out that she needs to want to change.

This book provides a realistic portrayal of a young girl struggling to cope with her
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
+Received a copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Susan!

WARNING: There are scenes of drug use, rape, and violence. I didn't find them very very strong but may still be triggering.

THE WORLD: Normal Earth. Normal life.

CHARACTERS: The main character is Amy Miles, a fifteen year old girl with severe bipolar disorder. We follow Amy's personal growth journey from reckless teen who doesn't take her meds, does drugs, etc to high school graduate and overall a much better role model to be hon
Molly
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG what an amazing book about teens battling mental health issues!!! FINALLY someone steps up to the plate and writes what it feels like. This is different from Susanna Kaysen's Girl Interrupted. This is more like real time. It was done so well, with sensitivity, grace, and beauty. I loved this. Well done Susan Traugh!! YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paula
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book does not shy away from the ugly. It shows the dark side, the truth about having a mental disorder. The author does a fantastic job at showing the struggles that not just a pacient but the family of a pacient go through. And, despite all that, the book also has a silver lining, an upside showing that recuperation is possible if one wants it enough.
I am completely enamored with the characters and their story. Amy is flawed and complex and beautifully real.
I would highly recommend this
Kim (_booksarelove)

I was sent this book as part of a blog tour, through YA Bound Book Tours, in exchange for an honest review.
I requested to be a part of this blog tour because I thought that it had been a while since I had read a book on mental illness, so I thought that I would try this one out.

We follow Amy, who is a teenager suffering from Bipolar Disorder. She doesn't take her medications, she takes illicit drugs and her life is slowly spiralling out of control. That is until she ends up and Green Ac
Jerricka Habib
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a difficult time getting through this book. The main character's voice grated on me. The diary entries in particular made me cringe. However, I can see myself at that age writing and thinking exactly like that so the narrative is believable. There is a tragedy that Amy experiences in this book that brought me into the story-line. I felt more connected once the event unfolded and interested to see how Amy would react/adapt to the situation. I say give it a chance.

Cetta DePaolo
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Story was interesting, but predictable. The writing bothered me, not very sophisticated. The main character's voice was annoying for a while, but maybe it is realistic for a 15-year old. Overall, not the worst book but nothing great to recommend it.
Sally
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-galley-read
Loved seeing Amy's growth throughout the story!
Elisha
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the reasons I was interested in this book because one of my minors is clinical psychology and Amy has bipolar disorder. This book highlights this specific mental disorder in I think - a realistic and kind way.

The story for the reader is - we are essentially following Amy, the main character who has the mental illness - around her day to day life as a teenager going through life with this mental disorder. She does not like to take her medication, which I am sure a lot of people go through
Kirsty
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
The Edge of Brilliance is centered around a teenager named Amy Miles, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After one incident, before she realises what has happened, she is an inpatient in Green Acres, a residential psychiatric programme.
She becomes firm friends with the girls in her room, especially Mallory. During her time here, she realises that the activity she most loves to do, dance, has been taken from her due to her use of illegal drugs.
Will Amy ever battle her disorder and le
Lynndell
Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Thanks to YA Bound Book Tours for the opportunity to read and review The Edge of Brilliance by Susan Traugh. Amy suffers from bipolar disorder and she's worried that taking her prescriptions and attending therapy will make people think she's crazy. The author's note is touching and genuine and explains how the story is loosely based on true experiences and she gives hope to anyone struggling with mental illness. The story takes us thr
Tbird London
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I really appreciate the author taking us into the lives and mind of person who suffers from Bipolar disorder. For the first time we are able to understand how their mind works, what emotions fuel their behavior and most importantly the aftermath they must face and try to make sense of.

This book was a bit sensitive to me as my husband suffers from this disorder and I never understood before how it truly devastates every aspect of their life. I connected to the mother in the book more because that
Elaine Moir
Apr 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-a-copy

$0.99 on Kindle
Kiersten
rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2017
Kevin
May 10, 2017
Tania
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story. I have to admit in the beginning Amy was a selfish brat. That made it difficult to feel sorry for her. Also...wow no mercy at Green Acres? I felt the staff were uncaring and harsh. Even the the therapist, Prudy, was mostly cold in my opinion. Geez a little empathy and care would go a long way in counselling. But all in all, well written and uplifting. Great book!
Lisa