Start by marking “Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)

Ashes to Fire

(Woodwalker #2)

An adult fantasy tale that will surely resonate with young adult readers, Ashes to Fire is the story of a queen's desperate journey to secure peace, and the even greater journey to discover herself. Ashes to Fire is the captivating and adventurous follow-up to Emily B. Martin’s Woodwalker—once more with cover art by the author!

“You are a country.”

Those words have been the
Published January 31st 2017 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Ashes to Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes to Fire

Start your review of Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)
Rachel
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All of you. All of you reading this.

Go out, right now, and buy Woodwalker. Read it. Then go buy Ashes to Fire. Read that too. Then, after an indeterminate but most likely excruciating amount of wait time, buy the third book when it's published sometime in the near future.

Give Martin all the money.

You're welcome.
Grace Crandall
This. This was...just...so utterly lovely.

I was a little leery about starting this book--Woodwalker blew me away so completely, pulled me so strongly into its world and the mind of its protagonist, that I was scared of continuing the same story from a different perspective, afraid that it would somehow lose its luster.
But oh, my goodness. This book was beautiful.

The story begins a while after the close of Woodwalker, but in the same vein that Woodwalker ended in: with a settling alliance betw
Beth Cato
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
I love it when a series is so good, so cozy, that you can slip into the next book without a problem, even when the previous book was read years before. That was my experience with Ashes to Fire. I read Woodwalker over three years ago, and have read a lot of books in the meanwhile. Even so, I wasn't lost at all as I began to read book 2.

I enjoyed the switch to Queen Mona's POV as she attempts to negotiate trade--and peace--with the nasty King Celeno. Those talks go awry. Mona is kidnapped by oth
Michele
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ashes to Fire was a complex, well-written fantasy that had a strong plot and even stronger characters. Author Emily B. Martin ended up taking readers on an adventure that was filled with humility, perseverance, personal growth, love and acceptance.

I will start off cautioning readers that it would probably be best to read book one, Woodwalker, first before beginning this sequel. I didn’t, so I had a bit of catching up to do, trying to figure out the worldscape and the dynamics between the charact
Carmen Steyn
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely book. I was a bit sceptical about it at first since this book has a different protagonist than the first and I truely loved the protagonist of the first book, Mae. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I was immensely impressed by the depth of character development that took place in this book and how detailed and elaborate the characters's histories were.

I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to start the next one. I love the world that Emily B. Martin created. It is vibrant and
Cat
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At the beginning of the book we find Mona and company enjoying Mae's wedding. Soon, though, they are thrust into a diplomatic stand-off with an Alcoran messenger. The result is Mona and Mae find themselves on a diplomatic mission to Cyprien, a country "annexed" by Alcoro over fifty ago. During an attempted meeting with King Celeno and Queen Gemma to negotiate trade, they are attacked. Mona and Gemma are taken hostage by two brothers - the Roubidouxs, Rou and Lyle - who are on a mission from the ...more
Jen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I received this as an egalley through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

When I first saw this one Edelweiss I would have shrieked with joy had I not been in public. I had no idea that there was even going to be a sequel to Woodwalker, let alone how soon it was going to come out. I absolutely loved Woodwalker, and was beyond excited to read this, a sequel told from the point of view of Queen Mona. And it definitely did not disappoint!

Martin's way with imagery and characters is exquisi
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

I went absolutely crazy about this book! It's the second in Emily B. Martin's Woodwalker series. I have not yet read the first book, but I wasn't confused be not having read it. Martin did a great job of catching a new reader up. Though I will say now that I'm going to buy the first one to read very soon.

The female lead is Mora. She's queen of Lumen Lake and takes her role and responsibility very seriously. She
Kehaines
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid sequel to 'Woodwalker', really liked it. ...more
Elizabeth Mathis
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adult fantasy tale that will surely resonate with young adult readers, Ashes to Fire is the story of a queen's desperate journey to secure peace, and the even greater journey to discover herself. Ashes to Fire is the captivating and adventurous follow-up to Emily B. Martin’s Woodwalker—once more with cover art by the author!

“You are a country.”

Those words have been the guiding force behind Queen Mona’s every move since she was a little girl—the idea that all her actions and desires were, fi
Michael_S_B
I very much liked Woodwalker and enjoyed the characters that Ms. Martin developed. They were interesting, fun and unique. I looked forward to reading Ashes to Fire. I had gotten so used to being in Ellamae's first person perspective that it took some time to adjust to being in Mona's.

Ellamae did not translate as well as seen from Mona's perspective although seeing the events from Mona's eyes was intriguing. The story developed fast to meeting King Celeno and then the twist and the plot line adva
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I enjoyed the first book of the trilogy, Woodwalker, so much that I borrowed the second and third book from the library (as soon as some branches reopened for pick up and drop off.)

I really loved this second installment.

We got to see more world development with Cyprian culture, religion and politics. I was reminded of the bayou in New Orleans, especially since the Cyprian names sounded French. The Alcoro names sound Italian. But this world is not set in our world. It's a fictional fantasy world
Harley Emmons
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Woodwalker, I was so relieved that this book was already out because I could NOT handle waiting. I loved Mae as the narrator and thought it would be sad switching to someone else but I equally adored Mona. They have such distinct voices but still maintain Martin's attention to cultural detail. I really want to go to a First Fire festival. Usually, I'm not a fan of romance in female-driven fantasies because they usually take away from the plot. However, Rou is so charming and the pe ...more
Kenzie Barnett
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story and amazing continuation of the story started in Woodwalker. It was awesome to journey along with old characters and new in this story featuring a new terrain and country in the amazing world Mrs. Martin has created. With the narration coming from Mona now, it is interesting to dive into this new character and see how she experiences the world. The fantasy setting, nature information, and political and religious discourses are very interesting. The plot twists certainly are surpris ...more
Libby McDermott Voight
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm really digging this series! I was a little worried going into this book since there's a change of main character first person POV, but I loved reading about Mona just as much as I did Mae. This series has one of the most interesting (if not the most) setting(s), and I really enjoyed how the natural world creates and influences the different cultures and drives the plot. Plus Martin's writing is beautiful and descriptive, but the story still moves quickly. It YA but does touch on some serious ...more
Samantha Farr
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
It took me a minute to get into this one, just shifting my mind to get used to Mona as the narrator instead of Mae. But, once I became familiar with the fact that Mona is a lot more introspective and thoughtful, I actually loved seeing everything from her point of view.

The events in Ashes to Fire are definitely more intense and urgent than those in Woodwalker, but the way the different characters process their experiences helps with the flow of these two books as a series.

Don't even get me sta
Dan Shonka
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is volume 2 in the trilogy. If you liked the first, you won't be disappointed with this tome. Ms. Martin shifts the point of view to another strong female lead, Queen Mona. It's another entertaining adventure story with a dash of romance. There are plenty of twists to keep the reader off balance. And the vivid world Ms. Martin creates with her words is excellently done. I've enjoyed the first two in the trilogy, and I can't wait to read the final book of the series. ...more
Sarah Dorra
I just love Emily B. Martin’s books! She has this way of threading multi-layered plots which pulls you inside the world she creates.

I compared WOODWALKER to Tolkien’s LORD OF THE RINGS, but I’m likening this one to HARRY POTTER in two ways:

1. You keep wondering how the author manages to come up with all these ideas that can only be a product of long hours of research and brainstorming.

2. The first book is arguably for young readers, while the second is more for adults, perhaps young adults.

Now,
Kerri
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed it. I was a little concerned because it has been awhile since I read the first one. Yes, I forgot some stuff but this is from another characters point of view which I found...different and interesting. Starts off fast and maybe does lull in the middle but I really enjoyed the descriptions. I’d classify this one as high young adult as it is maybe missing a little bit a depth but still very nice book.
Kld2003
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series with great characters, excellent world building, good dialogue and decent plot twists. Once I started reading each book, I had a hard time putting it down to get chores done. This book is about Queen Mona, who in the last book won freedom for her country from the Alcorons. Now she is trying to broker a trade agreement between the two countries when things go horribly wrong. You will have to read it to find out what happens.
Kathei
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy, trilogy
Ashes to Fire is the second book in a fantasy series. It was an enjoyable story but I only gave it 3 stars because it felt superficial to me. It was a nice gentle read and if it was supposed to be a YA Middle-Grade book I would have given it a higher rating. I would recommend it to young readers being introduced to fantasy.

After reading all three books in the Creatures of Light series I recommend them to all readers as a very nice fantasy.
Sandy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment

This story picks up where the first one left so it helps to have read it. The story is set in a bayou type country and it is written with the same strong characters as the first plus the introduction of a few charming new ones. My only criticism is that it really doesn't stand alone and I have to read the third installment. I
Maureen Caupp
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with Woodwalker my favorite part of Ashes to Fire are the details used to describe the landscape. Her work as a park ranger really comes through in the detailed world she builds. The characters are well developed and the plot is interesting, but the descriptions of the world are what made the book really enjoyable for me.

I recommend this book to fantasy readers who love the outdoors.
Claire
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well-written, engaging, and surprising installment in the series! Highly enjoyed it. Mona is a great narrator, and it was a particular treat to see things from her perspective after seeing her through Mae's eyes in the previous book. Rou is an able match and wonderful counterbalance to her, too-- I really loved him as a character. ...more
Amber Maples
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Great follow through from the first. Strong characters with loads of personality, thourough development without bogging the main storyline down in the swamps. You get to know them naturally.
Stephen
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book in the series, which follows the water queen and her adventure. The woodwalker is in this but has a small part only. It follows the queen has she tries and rebuilds her Queendom. Great Story and characters makes for great reading. Great Reading Everyone?
Tabby
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second installment in the Woodwalker series does not disappoint. I loved seeing things through Mona's perspective and her character growth. Things are escalating between King Celeno and the rest of the nations, I am so excited to read the next book! ...more
Gari Thesnale
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one.

I am so sad I have to wait for book 3! This book was very well written once again-u will enjoy!
Bruce
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of Mona
Becky Tejera
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

As the first book developed the characters, this book drew upon in further. A great tale! Can't wait for the next one!!

• Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra, #1)
  • Song of Blood & Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles, #1)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • This Magnificent Dappled Sea
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • Cotillion
  • The Moonlight Child
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)
  • Little Sister: A Memoir
  • The Conjurer (The Vine Witch #3)
  • Frederica
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Cy Page: Western Union Man
  • The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia, #1)
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • Venetia
  • Found and Forged (The Lost Sentinel, #4)
Park ranger by summer, stay-at-home mom the rest of the year, I am also a freelance artist and illustrator. An avid hiker and explorer, my experiences as ranger helped inform the character of Mae and the world of WOODWALKER.

When not patrolling places like Yellowstone, the Great Smoky Mountains, or Philmont Scout Ranch, I live in South Carolina with my husband, Will, and two daughters, Lucy and Am

Woodwalker (3 books)
  • Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)
  • Creatures of Light (Woodwalker, #3)