Start by marking “Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)

Ashes to Fire

(Woodwalker #2)

An adult fantasy tale that will surely resonate with young adult readers, Ashes to Fire is the story of a queen's desperate journey to secure peace, and the even greater journey to discover herself. Ashes to Fire is the captivating and adventurous follow-up to Emily B. Martin’s Woodwalker—once more with cover art by the author!

“You are a country.”

Those words have been the
Published January 31st 2017 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Ashes to Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes to Fire

Rachel
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All of you. All of you reading this.

Go out, right now, and buy Woodwalker. Read it. Then go buy Ashes to Fire. Read that too. Then, after an indeterminate but most likely excruciating amount of wait time, buy the third book when it's published sometime in the near future.

Give Martin all the money.

You're welcome.
Grace Crandall
This. This was...just...so utterly lovely.

I was a little leery about starting this book--Woodwalker blew me away so completely, pulled me so strongly into its world and the mind of its protagonist, that I was scared of continuing the same story from a different perspective, afraid that it would somehow lose its luster.
But oh, my goodness. This book was beautiful.

The story begins a while after the close of Woodwalker, but in the same vein that Woodwalker ended in: with a settling alliance betw
Michele
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ashes to Fire was a complex, well-written fantasy that had a strong plot and even stronger characters. Author Emily B. Martin ended up taking readers on an adventure that was filled with humility, perseverance, personal growth, love and acceptance.

I will start off cautioning readers that it would probably be best to read book one, Woodwalker, first before beginning this sequel. I didn’t, so I had a bit of catching up to do, trying to figure out the worldscape and the dynamics between the charact
Jen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I received this as an egalley through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

When I first saw this one Edelweiss I would have shrieked with joy had I not been in public. I had no idea that there was even going to be a sequel to Woodwalker, let alone how soon it was going to come out. I absolutely loved Woodwalker, and was beyond excited to read this, a sequel told from the point of view of Queen Mona. And it definitely did not disappoint!

Martin's way with imagery and characters is exquisi
Kehaines
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid sequel to 'Woodwalker', really liked it.
Elizabeth Mathis
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adult fantasy tale that will surely resonate with young adult readers, Ashes to Fire is the story of a queen's desperate journey to secure peace, and the even greater journey to discover herself. Ashes to Fire is the captivating and adventurous follow-up to Emily B. Martin’s Woodwalker—once more with cover art by the author!

“You are a country.”

Those words have been the guiding force behind Queen Mona’s every move since she was a little girl—the idea that all her actions and desires were, fi
Danielle T
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Disclaimer: the author was my drum major in college marching band.

Ashes to Fire is sequel to Woodwalker, except this time we're inside Queen Mona's head (if the cover image didn't indicate that already). In many ways, she reminds me of one of the ways Robert Jordan described one of his Aes Sedai characters: silk hiding steel (which I guess is its own trope, but tWoT named it). She is driven and stubborn, but it's for a reason: always thinking of the greater good for Lumen Lake.

My minor critici
Michael_S_B
I very much liked Woodwalker and enjoyed the characters that Ms. Martin developed. They were interesting, fun and unique. I looked forward to reading Ashes to Fire. I had gotten so used to being in Ellamae's first person perspective that it took some time to adjust to being in Mona's.

Ellamae did not translate as well as seen from Mona's perspective although seeing the events from Mona's eyes was intriguing. The story developed fast to meeting King Celeno and then the twist and the plot line adva
Harley Emmons
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Woodwalker, I was so relieved that this book was already out because I could NOT handle waiting. I loved Mae as the narrator and thought it would be sad switching to someone else but I equally adored Mona. They have such distinct voices but still maintain Martin's attention to cultural detail. I really want to go to a First Fire festival. Usually, I'm not a fan of romance in female-driven fantasies because they usually take away from the plot. However, Rou is so charming and the pe ...more
Kenzie Barnett
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story and amazing continuation of the story started in Woodwalker. It was awesome to journey along with old characters and new in this story featuring a new terrain and country in the amazing world Mrs. Martin has created. With the narration coming from Mona now, it is interesting to dive into this new character and see how she experiences the world. The fantasy setting, nature information, and political and religious discourses are very interesting. The plot twists certainly are surpris ...more
Dan Shonka
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is volume 2 in the trilogy. If you liked the first, you won't be disappointed with this tome. Ms. Martin shifts the point of view to another strong female lead, Queen Mona. It's another entertaining adventure story with a dash of romance. There are plenty of twists to keep the reader off balance. And the vivid world Ms. Martin creates with her words is excellently done. I've enjoyed the first two in the trilogy, and I can't wait to read the final book of the series.
Ashley Stangl
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't like this as much as the first book. The plot doesn't feel as exciting (the ending of the romantic arc is nice but the overall ending to the plot feels a bit lacking) and the scenery's not as pretty. The characters are still enjoyable and the world-building continues to develop interesting details. Feels like a bridge to book 3, which I anxiously await.
Maureen Caupp
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with Woodwalker my favorite part of Ashes to Fire are the details used to describe the landscape. Her work as a park ranger really comes through in the detailed world she builds. The characters are well developed and the plot is interesting, but the descriptions of the world are what made the book really enjoyable for me.

I recommend this book to fantasy readers who love the outdoors.
Sandy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment

This story picks up where the first one left so it helps to have read it. The story is set in a bayou type country and it is written with the same strong characters as the first plus the introduction of a few charming new ones. My only criticism is that it really doesn't stand alone and I have to read the third installment. I
Claire
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well-written, engaging, and surprising installment in the series! Highly enjoyed it. Mona is a great narrator, and it was a particular treat to see things from her perspective after seeing her through Mae's eyes in the previous book. Rou is an able match and wonderful counterbalance to her, too-- I really loved him as a character.
Amber Maples
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Great follow through from the first. Strong characters with loads of personality, thourough development without bogging the main storyline down in the swamps. You get to know them naturally.
Tabby
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The second installment in the Woodwalker series does not disappoint. I loved seeing things through Mona's perspective and her character growth. Things are escalating between King Celeno and the rest of the nations, I am so excited to read the next book!
Stephen
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book in the series, which follows the water queen and her adventure. The woodwalker is in this but has a small part only. It follows the queen has she tries and rebuilds her Queendom. Great Story and characters makes for great reading. Great Reading Everyone?
Shelbycat
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfcrowsnest
Review will appear on sfcrowsnest.
Becca Evans
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I wanted after the first. A Harrowing twist of fate, diplomacy, and skill. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of queens getting stuff done.
Becky Tejera
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

As the first book developed the characters, this book drew upon in further. A great tale! Can't wait for the next one!!
Bruce
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of Mona
Gari Thesnale
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one.

I am so sad I have to wait for book 3! This book was very well written once again-u will enjoy!
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

I went absolutely crazy about this book! It's the second in Emily B. Martin's Woodwalker series. I have not yet read the first book, but I wasn't confused be not having read it. Martin did a great job of catching a new reader up. Though I will say now that I'm going to buy the first one to read very soon.

The female lead is Mora. She's queen of Lumen Lake and takes her role and responsibility very seriously. She
Amanda Nelson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Need to formulate some thoughts first...
Mackenzie
Jun 14, 2017
M
Jul 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses, #1)
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • Last Couple in Hell (Green Men #2)
  • The Barrow Will Send What it May (Danielle Cain #2)
  • Daybreak Rising (Embers of Redemption, #1)
  • Of the Abyss (Mancer, #1)
  • Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget (Toolkits for Emerging Writers Book 1)
  • Power Writing: Make Your Genre Fiction Soar: by the Author of The Silk & Steel Saga
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Orphans In the Black
  • Once Upon a Time It Was Now: The Art & Craft of Writing Historical Fiction
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Congress of Secrets
  • Rim War (Book One: Subversion)
  • The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing, #3)
  • Frozen (Northern Waste, #1.5)
  • Drawn Away
Park ranger by summer, stay-at-home mom the rest of the year, I am also a freelance artist and illustrator. An avid hiker and explorer, my experiences as ranger helped inform the character of Mae and the world of WOODWALKER.

When not patrolling places like Yellowstone, the Great Smoky Mountains, or Philmont Scout Ranch, I live in South Carolina with my husband, Will, and two daughters, Lucy and Am

Woodwalker (3 books)
  • Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)
  • Creatures of Light (Woodwalker, #3)