Start by marking “Breathless (Old West, #2)” as Want to Read:
Breathless (Old West, #2)

Breathless

(Old West #2)

A strong-willed beauty finds herself in the arms of the handsome drifter from her past, in this second book in the sizzling series set in the Old West, from USA Today Bestselling Author Beverly Jenkins

As manager of one of the finest hotels in Arizona Territory, Portia Carmichael has respect and stability—qualities sorely missing from her harsh childhood. She refuses to jeo
Published January 31st 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Breathless, please sign up.

Carmen
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Romance Fans
Recommended to Carmen by: URR
"I want you to kiss me."

Caught off guard, he froze. "I'm sorry. I must've misheard you. Say that again."

She looked irritated. "I want you to kiss me."

"May I ask why?"

"I need to cure myself of whatever these feelings are I'm starting to have for you, and don't ask me what feelings. You know what I mean."

"I do," he said as he studied her gorgeous ebony face. She looked so put out he wanted to smile but kept his features bland. "Have you ever been kissed before?"

"No."

"Then I should warn you that th
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really enjoyed this book. I was so happy to see so many wonderful character from the first book in the series, Forbidden, featured in this book. I found this book to be a really easy read and liked the sweeter romance that it offered. The western setting was very well done and quite a lot of fun.

The book focuses on Portia and Kent. Portia came to live with her Aunt Eddy and Uncle Rhine when she was 12 years old. They are forced to leave Vi
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

The heat now glittering in his eyes touched her like a hand. “You are going to be in so much trouble, Miss Bookkeeper.”

I was really enjoying this one, more so than the first one because I thought the hero and heroine had better back and forth (I still had moments where I thought the dialogue was a bit stop and go), but the last 40% or so was pretty full of dropped in and random threads.
There was some awesome shout-outs to historical women figures and Jenkins does a great job of setti
Izy
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating~ 4.5 stars
Such a great read!

Portia ‘Duchess’ Carmichael is the manger of the Fontaine Hotel. Portia had a very difficult childhood which was further made difficult when her mother decides to abandon her sister and her to their aunt. It took a long time for Portia to pare her deep distrust of men that her mother was responsible for. Portia now has a lovely family, she loves her aunt and uncle like her parent and her sister. What she doesn’t want to be married or be in love. She is truly ad
Lois
I liked this in many ways, the main character is a woman interested in early feminism and uninterested in marriage.
I loved the historical imformation, this authors research is top notch and smoothly included in the narrative.
Still I don't much care for romance as a genre.
Ezinwanyi
The narrator was spot on, and flowed as the reader was transported back to the wild Wild West. In this second installment of Beverly Jenkins series.
Portia Carmichael and Kent Randolph’s journey to love was a treat to listening to. I love how at the heart of this story was family, progress and personal growth. No one character was perfect but each one learned from their past.
This series had some sprinkles of historical qualms regarding both Blacks and Native Americans plights in the old territor
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Breathless is the second book in the trilogy and I have been looking forward to this one ever since I picked up book one. I finally got my hands on it, and I will admit I had some pretty high expectations for this book, and I was left feeling a bit disappointed. It wasn't what I was expecting, especially when I loved Forbidden, the first book.

Breathless is a story that features two people who knew each other when they were younger but life
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Last year I read the first book in this series, Forbidden, and I enjoyed it but I definitely like Breathless better. Our heroine in Breathless is the niece of the hero and heroine in Forbidden - Eddy and Rhine - who play a prominent part in this book. It's fun to see them fully enjoying their HEA. Portia and her sister Regan came to live with Rhine and Eddy when their mother, a prostitute, could no longer care for them. Rhine and Eddy have given them a good life, and now living in the Arizona Te ...more
Mimi
Not what I expected... but in a good way. And for a historical romance set in the Wild West, it's one of the better ones I've read.

That aside, I won this book from a GR giveaway, and like the last romance I won through GR, I'm really glad I got it for free. But unlike that last one, this one was a much better read overall. More on this later. Hopefully--I'm really behind on reviews, like 3 years behind.
Book Riot Community
A hot romance in the Wild West! Portia Carmichael is the manager at one of Arizona’s nicest hotels and a fiercely independent woman who refuses to settle for just any suitor – and then a handsome stranger rides into town. (There’s always a handsome stranger, right?) And he’s determined to win Portia’s heart. CUE THE KISSING PARTS. Jenkins is one of the best contemporary romance novelists working today. Her books are so smart and sexy! Two words: HUBBA HUBBA.

Backlist bump: Forbidden by Beverly Je
Rebekah Weatherspoon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the slice of life feeling of this story. :)
Tia
Always love learning about the history of the period. Suffragette movement, Geronimo escape and the black experience.

Beverly Jenkins is one of my favorite Black historical romance writers. She not only shares black history, but familial relations and love. I've read more than seven of her large catalogue of books, mainly her historical romance.

In Breathless we revisit characters that I'd fallen in love with. Rhine and Eddy's love from Forbidden was enduring and I'm waiting for my Rhine. I was co
Layeshia
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We make plans and God laughs.

As usual Beverly Jenkins has written a historical romance that I can identify with. A strong female heroine. Portia was abandoned by her unsavory mother along with her younger sister. Thank goodness mothers sister took them in and raise them as her own. Even with that unpleasantness. Portia and her sister attended college and later Portia became a bookkeeper and ran hot aunt and uncle's hotel She also had an unconventional idea of the time she did not want to marry
Jerrika Rhone
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beverly Jenkins writing makes me blush and giddy like a schoolgirl. I'm over here feeling like a teenager lol. Her books are so much fun for me to read. All I need is some sand and a blanket and I'd be ALL smiles.

30% Done: BLUSHING!

90% Done: Chiiilllllleeeee, this book is juicy! So let me explain. This is only my second Beverly Jenkins book, the first being Forbidden which is in no way as scandalous as this one. Fam! I'M LISTENING TO THIS BOOK AT WORK! I wasn't ready lol
K.J. Charles
A good read but overall the least successful of the trilogy for me. Kent and Portia are both fun characters, but I missed the powerful conflicts of books 1 and 3--these two just have it too easy and get on too well with nothing keeping them apart. Or I am an evil cow who likes to see characters suffer. One of the two. If you're looking for ultra low angst and to spend some time chilling with likeable characters this would be perfect: it's hugely readable.
Nazarene Static
Portia Carmichael had her whole life planned. Included in her plans was being #foreveralone because the men of the 1880s were more or less pig headed, disrespectful imbeciles. Then Kenton Randolph came back into her life. The now mature cowboy was far more handsome and rugged than the 18 year old who used to call her "Duchess" when she was 12. Portia begins to have feelings she had once sworn she would never have.
Once again, I tried to do this thing where I try to see if I can predict what rout
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Breathless starts with a bang. Portia is awakened in the middle of the night by her aunt, and urged to quickly dress. A lynch mob is after her uncle, who has been pretending to be white. As they flee, Portia watches a group of angry men torch their home. She is terrified that they won’t be able to escape, that the men will hang her uncle Rhine. This scene is fast-paced and really grabbed my attention.

Fast forward 15 years. The family has resettled in Arizona Territory, and they own a successful
Leigh Kramer
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It dragged toward the end but I really enjoyed Portia as a character and all the history, from women of color's involvement in the suffrage movement to Geronimo, that was incorporated into the story. Looking forward to reading about Regan as a mail order bride next!
Shawnette
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another GOOD read from the QUEEN of historical romantic fiction...I ENJOYED Kenton and Portia's rekindled friendship...which grew into a SIZZLING instant attraction...and the bit of action and adventure kept me turning the pages. Looking forward to Regan's story as a mail-order-bride.
Kazen
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading five of her books I'm realizing that Beverly Jenkins is a hit or meh author for me. I don't think I've rated anything below three stars but some leave me disappointed. Sadly, this is one of them. But first,

The good:

- Historical romance with protagonists of color (here African American) is always always a good thing. Love.

- Portia doesn't need a man. In fact, due to her rough childhood, she thinks she'd be better without. Kent respects her past and proves that he's the right person
Kelsey
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The only reason this is 3 stars instead of 4 is because Westerns are just not my thing. Otherwise, super good little romance! Portia is a fabulous heroine!
Clare O'Beara
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This very enjoyable romance looks at less-celebrated characters of the Old West. The hard-working hotelier gets to tell her story.

Beverly Jenkins writes rich, lively tales about strong women and determined men, with all the hustle and bustle of the town of Tucson and life when work was done by hand.

I recommend the read for fans of unusual romances or multicultural tales in historical settings.

I received an e-ARC from the publisher through Fresh Fiction.This is an unbiased review.
Monique
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Portia Carmichael is happy with her life. She’s come a long way from being dumped on her aunt Eddy to becoming the manager and bookkeeper of the Fontaine Hotel, which is quite an achievement for a woman of color in late nineteenth century Arizona. Portia and her younger sister Regan have lived with Eddy and her husband Rhine Fontaine for 15 years, and in a way the sisters’ mother did them a favour. But because of what she’s seen as a child, Portia has also decided she will never marry; not that ...more
Brianna
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading Forbidden last year, I was wondering what happened to Eddy's nieces. I'm really glad that Beverly Jenkins wrote this book about Portia, and the next book in the series will be about her sister Regan. I loved Portia in here. She was fiercely intelligent, spoke her mind, and was a bit too serious for her own good. She was a bit too guarded, but considering the life she and Regan had with their mother, I understood. Luckily, Portia had the playful but strong Kent to balance her out. I ...more
Anne
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2018
After being swept away by Tempest , I've been making my way through the other books in Beverly Jenkins' Old West series. Breathless is the second installment and it follows the story of a prim bookkeeper falling for a rough-and-tumble cowboy.

Jenkins writes characters beautifully. She creates men and women who are hardworking, kind-hearted, and passionate about helping their community grow and flourish. They're the kind of characters you can't help but enjoy reading about, and Portia and Kent ar
Michele
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breathless was a sweeping tale that encompassed just about everything I enjoy in Western historical romance novels. It had a sense of history of course, but it was also about family, community, love, and the issues people faced in the Old West in the mid-1880s.

‘It was shameless, illicit, and so decadent she felt like someone else entirely, and that woman was breathless and greedy for more.’

I was completely charmed by the characters and the overall storyline Beverly Jenkins created for Breathles
Shannon
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a solid romance. It was actually in 4 star territory up until the last 6 pages when Jenkins randomly through in a kidnapping that was literally solved in 4 pages. What was point of that??

I liked the romance between Portia and Kent. It was mature without any real angst or drama (of their own making), which sometimes you need. It was cozy and comforting.

While I don't know if I'd read any more Jenkins outside of this series, I am looking forward to the conclusion with Regan's story; she's
Dragana
While it was not bad, Breathless was more shallow compared to Forbidden. Less depth to the characters. Less obstacles to overcome. More sexy times. Almost no yummy food descriptions.
Dawn West
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book.**

A cowboy sweeps his duchess off of her feet!

Portia doesn't want to marry. This she has decided after years of witnessing her mother being used by men of all walks of life. And after Portia discovered her own dreams of bookkeeping, she is determined more than ever to maintain her independence and never become someone's property.

But all of that changes when a ghost from her past comes back around. Kent isn't the man she
Korey
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book opens with a bang. Rhine and Eddy, our protagonists from Forbidden, the first book in this series, are chased out of their home with their nieces Portia (our protagonist in this book) and Regan by an angry mob due to Rhine's confession that he was secretly a black man who had been passing as white.

After this fiery opening, which is only about 3-4 pages, we skip ahead 15 years and nothing proceeds to happen for about 100 pages. I came very close to abandoning this book because these fi
Beverly Jenkins v...: Breathless 2 2 Apr 17, 2019 02:36PM
  • A Hope Divided (The Loyal League #2)
  • Black Panther: World of Wakanda #4
  • It Had to Be You (Grayson Friends, #4)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 5 (Aya, #5)
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases
  • A Touch of Frost (The Cowboys of Colorado, #1)
  • A Taste of Honey (Lively St. Lemeston, #4)
  • Chayot (Secrets and Sins, #4)
  • The Governess Club: Sara (The Governess Club, #3)
  • Dance of Desire (1001 Dark Nights #36)
  • Sinful Temptation (Twins of Sin, #2)
Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2018 Michigan Author Award by the Michigan Library Association, the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature, was featured in both the documentary Love Between the Covers and on CBS ...more

Old West (3 books)
  • Forbidden (Old West, #1)
  • Tempest (Old West, #3)
“What scares you?” “That I won’t be taken seriously because I can’t write my name in the snow.” 1 likes
“Although there were only five children enrolled, every educated child was an asset to the race.” 1 likes