Start by marking “Fuzzy Doodle” as Want to Read:
Fuzzy Doodle

Fuzzy Doodle

The metamorphosis of a caterpillar, the metamorphosis of a creative idea, the magic of creativity are all explored in this picture book. Language and artwork combine harmoniously to provide a rich experience for young readers

A White Ravens Selection 2017.
Published June 1st 2016 by Scholastic NZ Limited

To ask other readers questions about Fuzzy Doodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fuzzy Doodle

Kathleen Dixon
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came into the shop (about a month or so ago) and I've picked it up and read it again several times since. It delights me each time.

One of the things that delights me, and which intrigued me when I first looked at the cover, is that the art is not what I usually expect from this illustrator. Donovan Bixley is a well-known New Zealand illustrator and author, and his work is usually bold and bright. I like bold and bright - don't get me wrong - and I really like the c
Miss Wilson
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A visual transformation that improves with each page turn, much like the content it discusses literally and metaphorically.
Renee
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a poetical story, in concept, language, and illustration. It is about a little scribble that transforms itself into something vastly different. The doodle's journey was a pleasure to imbibe.
In short, I love this story and recommend it to readers and gift givers alike.

Age group: 0-8 years (but really anyone)

Rayna
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
This book was so much fun!

Just a scribble on the page, Fuzzy eats his way through ink and words and grows and grows until he is transformed into something wonderful! A delightful book by New Zealand author Melinda Szymanik with amazing illustrations by Donovan Bixley. Highly recommend.
Andy Hickman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
"Fuzzy started as a scribble..."
Clever and creative with original design concepts.
Stevie Loveridge
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It a lovely book. I loved it!
Bill
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book for word and book lovers! Clever and creative.
Arielle Walker
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one was so much fun - reminded me a little of the Hungry Caterpillar but even cuter, and the illustrations are lovely.
Julie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two words...love it!
Innovative, creative, unique. Words and illustrations combine to create a story that is so right on every level.
Francesca Pashby
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Wonderful illustrations and quite a nice idea, but I did not like the rhyming pattern at all.
Summer
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was first captivated by the cover of this book—the blending watercolour, the shiny, tactile branch made from various cursive words, the sketched fuzzy thing that looks right at you with a smile. I was curious. What exactly is a Fuzzy Doodle? The kids had a few guesses… A fuzzy alien? A hairy caterpillar? The Wonderful Fluffy Squishy Itty Bitty’s best friend?

Fuzzy Doodle "started as a scribble, just a scrawly little doodle, a smudge sort of ‘something’ at the bottom of the page.” This scribble
Bookrapt
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fuzzy started as a scribble,
just a scrawly little doodle,
a smudgy sort of 'something'
at the bottom of the page.

From this simple beginning, aided and abetted by just such a smudgy black doodle on the grey double spread of high quality paper, Fuzzy comes to life. He eats and grows, from words to paragraphs to Once Upon a Time stories. As he grows, the illustrations become more complex, colour is introduced, and quickly becomes vivid:

All the colours of the rainbow,
in their tones and hues so varied,
Christine Hurst
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! The illustrations are magical, with large swathes of inkness that are just so pleasant to touch. And the writing is lyrical and lovely. Altogether a magical and fantastic story that is suitable for all ages.
Alex
Michelle
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
4.5

It's a book eating caterpillar, it's a butterfly-book, it's absolutely adorable.

and the illustrations (insert heart-eye emoji here) <3

really wonderful picture book from New Zealand.
Ashleigh
Aug 25, 2016
Leon
Dec 12, 2018
My latest book is a sophisticated picture book 'Fuzzy Doodle' (Scholastic, 2016), a 2017 Storylines Notable book, finalist in the 2017 NZ Children's and Young Adults Book Awards and a 2017 White Raven selection. My most recent children's novel was the middle grade historical, 'A Winter's Day in 1939' (Scholastic) published in 2013. This book was a 2014 Storylines Notable book and won Librarian's C ...more