Start by marking “The Tokyo Cover Girls” as Want to Read:
The Tokyo Cover Girls

The Tokyo Cover Girls

(The Tokyo Cover Girls #1)

New York has Jacobs, Paris has Chanel, Milan has Versace and Tokyo has . . . Hello Kitty toilet plungers? With its cute-obsessed catalogue and magazine market, anyone who is anyone knows that modeling in Japan means being at the bottom of the fashion industry. Blake, Jess, and Hailey are doing their best to survive yet another casting where pigtails and toddler-impressions ...more
Published April 28th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Tokyo Cover Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tokyo Cover Girls

Rebecca McNutt
I received a free copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

description
Released early last month, The Tokyo Cover Girls offers readers a glimpse into the dark world behind closed doors in the Japanese modeling industry. Obsessed with the exaggeratedly adorable, from Lolita fashion to porcelain doll appearances, on the outside it seems glamorous and cute. But to the three girls featured in this book, they know that it's also an industry riddled with abuse, ruthless competition and even crime.

This book is a
(I received a digital copy of this book for free. Thanks to author Jackie Amsden.)

“We have only one rule. You must not communicate anything about this competition to anyone – and that includes to each other. Violations will result in immediate expulsion.”

This was a YA contemporary story about three models living in Tokyo.

The characters in this were all okay, although at times Blake took the competition a bit too seriously. The other two girls weren’t quite so focused, and I was surprised at
Paula  Phillips
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book advertised, I knew I wanted to read it as I quite enjoy reading novels that are set in the fashion world and about modelling. What I didn't expect and I am sure alot of readers will be surprised was that it would become quite an intense suspense novel that would delve not only into the world of Japanese gaming shows and we all know how crazy they can be but also into Japanese gangs and missing persons all in the name of entertainment purposes. For three girls Hailey, Blake ...more
Barbara White
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. It kept me wanting to read more and more. The Tokyo Cover Girls lets us know what could be in store for anyone wanting a modeling career in Tokyo. It was exciting and frightening. Each main character had their own unique flair. I look forward to the next installment of The Tokyo Cover Girls.
 Marla
Brief glimpse into the competitive world of Tokyo modeling and the teenage culture in Japan. Most of the book was devoted to the modeling competition and the animosity between the 3 roommates. I didn't like any of the 3 models and their aggressive or helpless behavior. I did like the romance, the good guys in the story and learning about Japanese pop culture.

Likes:
* High fashion modeling in Tokyo, Japan
* Some Japanese culture and subculture
* In Japan sweet and cute are sexy and desirable
(view sp
Samantha Bell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit it - I love Japan! What started out as an obsession with anime and harajuku girls, eventually became a well-rounded appreciation for the language, culture, history and FOOD of this incredibly unique country. I watch quite a few North American expats who chronicle their lives in Japan, so this book stood out to me.

Tokyo Cover Girls is told in alternating 3rd person perspectives between three girls. (Blake, Jess and Hailey) I don't want to give anything away, but the girls are approache
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
This was such an interesting read! I don't know a lot about the Tokyo modelling scene, so all of this was new to me, but I was so drawn in by the blurb, that I just had to read. I was pleasantly surprised to find the thriller aspect of this book, especially as I love thrillers.

The pace of the book was perfect. I found that it was written very well, in order to add to the suspense of the story. I liked that it was a bit crazy. At many moments, there were quite a few things happening, all of whic
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

This was an okay read. I thought it was good, but it had the potential to be more than what it was. I thought it was the book version of the Top Model franchise. The story was a bit boring and it was hard to get into. I believe that was why it did not connect with me as much as I wanted to. I will continue the series. I hope that the second book is better than the first one. Overall, a not-so-bad read.
Abbie
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

This wasn't a bad read, but it wasn't one that I can say I really enjoyed unfortunately. It took me a while to get into this at first, and even then, it struggled to keep my interest. Due to that, there were quite a few times where I felt a bit bored.

It was an okay read overall though.
Heather
This book follows the lives of three aspiring young models, who are competing against one another for a highly coveted modelling job, or are they? This book was both fun and suspenseful, and captured my attention. I cannot wait to read the next installment in this series!
Erin
Well this was a roller coaster of events. Full review to come in September.
Yesenia
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I received this book by the author for an honest review.

Three girls who dream of becoming models on Tokyo, Jess wants to win money for her college education, Hailey wants to become a fashion designer, not a model and Blake wants to become a top model so she can prove she can make it to the top on those who mistreated her. The three girls joined a company named Satsujin and it's not all what it seems and these three girls decipher the mystery very late and I was hoping there was teamwork but it d
Engel Dreizehn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was probably one of the most demented, disturbing yet bold narratives I have ever read. It you are familiar with the seedier-darker side of Japanese Kawaii culture, Mizo Shobai and the wild fashion industry there...you can guess whats going happen especially what the word "Satsujin" translates to.
Elizabeth Mathis
Tonja Drecker
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fashion and modeling gain a whole new bite in this suspenseful story of three teenage models as they go head to head against each other in ways they'd never even dreamed.

The colorful cover mixed with models in Tokyo and mystery is an attention grabber, and the story offers every bit of this. This isn't the modeling of super thin catwalk models, but rather takes more of a dive into the cutesy, cut throat, pigtail culture. The models head to Tokyo for a few months in hopes of landing several gigs
Katherine Paschal
Jess, Hailey and Blake are spending the summer in Tokyo in the hopes of making a name for themselves and some easy money in the much in demand modeling field. What starts out just like any other modeling trip, their plans soon go awry and they are now part of a competition to see who will get a million dollar opportunity to represent a mysterious clothing brand. An amazing chance to become famous puts the three girls at each others throats, mishaps soon being blamed on each other and strange occ ...more
Cheryl Whitty
When I started reading this book I didn’t know I would be completely surprised.
I knew we would have an insight into a culture and the modelling world.
We have three young girls from different home environments, coming to an unknown Country to become a successful models.

The book is told from three points of view, Hailey is very naïve and has never been away without her mother.
Blake who has been to Tokyo before, and had some success in the past.
Jess has been modelling since she was fourteen and
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, à-traduire
Depuis que j’ai quitté le monde du net et que je me suis retrouvé face à ma PAL, j’ai découvert de nombreuse surprises. Bon là c’était un SP donc ce n’est pas non plus livre enterré :p
The Cover Tokyo Girls est THE roman à suivre. On suit l’histoire de trois jeunes modèles Jess, Hailey et Blake. Trois ladies qui ont un avenir dans le milieu de la mode si ce n’est qu’il y a un détail louche dans cette histoire.

L’histoire en elle-même nous permet de suivre trois pensées, donc trois situations diffé
Kayl
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This will not affect my review in any way.

I enjoyed reading this book. It intrigued me right off the bat.

This novel was about three models trying to make their way in Tokyo, which is considered the lowest of the low for models. These girls decide to participate in a competition to become one of the world’s next top model, which slowly starts to get out of hand.

There’s a lot going on in this novel, which can be confusing if
Francesca
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a digital copy of this book for an honest review.

I liked the concept of the story that was the only thing what kept me reading. The end was strong and much better than the first 150 pages.

But I think there missed a lot of detail. No real character development. I didn't know anything about the girls, only if they have sisters or brothers and a little bit about the live style, but not why they became a model. Yes to earn money, but I don't think that's a good reason.

I didn't really like
Wendy Jensen
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Probably a book more suited to teenage readers. As an adult reader I found it a little far fetched. Three teenage roommates trying to make it in the modeling world in Tokyo and those three picked for an exclusive campaign which they cannot tell anyone about or discuss it between themselves.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Hew Kidston
Written for 'young adults', so not exactly our cup of tea; but - lots of imagination, the writing itself was good.
Jess McKerracher
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever, fun, fast-paced, and suspenseful. Looking forward to the sequel!
Feb 25, 2019
Yupi Toshiro vongolia
Sep 07, 2016
Deria Stevens
Jun 16, 2016
Jackie Amsden worked as a fashion model in China, Japan, and Taiwan before retiring at the age of eighteen after one too many agent threats, nude photo shoot requests, and self-loathing-induced Pocky binges. If you’d like to learn more about her decent into the darker side of Asia’s candy-coated modeling industry sign up for free installments of her upcoming memoir and get updates about the sequel ...more