Start by marking “Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic” as Want to Read:
Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic

Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Struggling to put together a compelling, coherent plot? Have a stack of stalled 30-page novel starts? Have a finished manuscript and the sinking feeling something's wrong?

Pro novelist Holly Lisle walks you through the simple, fun, effective techniques she's used to plot her 30+ published novels (and counting). Learn to plot without fear of error, to enjoy a process that ke
8.5" x 11" coil bound workbook, 166 pages
Published 2007 by OneMoreWord Books

To ask other readers questions about Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic

Linda
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually my second time reading this little book. It's interesting for several reasons. For one, it gives a glimpse into the process of building a plot. You watch as Holly presents tools on how to think up a plot and then you watch her use the tools herself as she starts building a story. So it's like watching a writer at work.

Also, a lot of info found here is completely unique to this book - things I've not seen anywhere else, and I've read A LOT of books on craft. One caveat - if you
Jenn C
As a would-be writer, I'm always on the look-out for new writing reference books. I happened upon Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic while searching Amazon. Her writing style is very friendly (and funny) and easy to understand. Her exercises are something that I am planning to put into practice, as my plotting has come to a standstill. I especially like that she uses examples after explaining the techniques. One of my biggest problems with writing books is that the authors explain, but rarely sh ...more
Angela
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm totally loving this book so far. It's giving me a good from-scratch-fresh-of-breath-air-re-motivated-inspiration feel to help me with the series I'm working on.

*eta*

Looove this book. It was easy and fun to read and very useful. I would probably call this the book to reach for when you've got writer's block or you want to write something but you don't know what.
Alexandra
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers
Love all of Holly's classes, and this one was no exception! Great plot-creating techniques that can teach every writer a thing or two. She has many different options presented as well that can be chosen and adapted to each writer's personal writing style, all while keeping them on track!
Lisa Annesley
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
Only a portion of the book was usable information for me.
LKM
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started on this book not expecting a lot. I knew it had very good reviews, but so had other how-to writing and plotting books I'd read, and those weren't that impressive. Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic surprised me though.

The book shows you not just one, but several ways in which you can plot, fix your plot, edit or revise your plot, and rearrange your plot; before, during or after writing; and it has advise for people who like plotting as well as for those that don't and just wing their
Geoff Elliott
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is my first book by Holly Lisle but it won't be my last!

Like Holly, I believe that the muse isn't some strange wispy mythical beast that comes and goes at a whim. I think of it more like a recalcitrant child that pouts in a corner. Whether you trick it into helping or take a more direct approach it can be brought out of its funk and made to help with the techniques in the book. I've used several of them already to help me move things along with my current fiction project.

As with all books
Anna
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is 4.5 stars and the only reason I'd consider rounding down is because the price tag felt pretty high. On the other hand, I think I got ten bucks worth of information from the text...although not in the way I'd initially expected.

Despite the title, this is really a brainstorming guide rather than a structure guide. Some of the exercises were ones I'd used before, others didn't hit the mark, but some are going into my notebook of high-quality tips to pull out whenever I get stuck. This time
Gregg Rowe
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-general
Highly recommend this book partnered with "Create A Character" by same author. Thses are the two main books that I highly suggest to improve your writing of plots and getting characters with substance.

By folllowing the guidance of Holly's techniques, you will see your writing improve as well as brainstorm for ideas that you thought were not possible.

Victoria Osborne
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holly Lisles writes the best series of books related to writing. I have read nearly everything that she has written. She outlines a process and gives advice and tips that are out of the ordinary for breaking writers block. Including tips that I have personally used before reading the book. Thank you Holly for all of your help
Lisa M
Although I picked up a few pointers, this short book didn't cover plot development in depth. And Holly's system of using index cards didn't really speak to me. It might be just what you need, however.
Christine J Randall
I found it incredibly helpful to change my panster ways. After reading through the book, I dived into the rescue a manuscript section. I'm now rewriting from a stack of colour-coded scene cards. My novel has a plan.
Beth
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
A really, really great book with many good ideas to try. The biggest problem I had was that in a couple spots her politics became REALLY obvious. I really don't want a rant about political correctness in a book about writing.
Jess
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Useful so far!
Anthea Strezze
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review to be added later.
Danyelle Leafty
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf-2012
This is a fabulous writing resource, even though I'm not an outliner. I'll definitely be reading all the other clinics.
Jordan Hawk
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very useful when wrestling the muse, either during story creation or when things go splat and you're on deadline.
Michele
Excellent, thorough, very usable book.
Anne Velosa
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2011
Holly shares great tools for developing and revising plots. Looking forward to using some on my next story.
Tom Britz
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some interesting pointers.
Veronica Sicoe
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hands-on approach with more useful tips than one could have wished for.
Kristen Kemp
Riley Graham
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Violence: A Writer's Guide
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • Fire up Your Fiction: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Stories
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Are You There Blog? It's Me, Writer
  • The Busy Writer's One Hour Plot
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle