Start by marking “Ash and Bones (DC Will MacReady, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ash and Bones (DC Will MacReady, #1)

Ash and Bones

(DC Will MacReady #1)

In a remote corner of Lagos in Nigeria, a stranger delivers a homeless boy to an orphanage, where the welcoming staff hide a terrible secret.

At a squalid flat in the docks area of Cardiff, an early morning police raid goes catastrophically wrong. A plain clothes officer is shot dead at point blank range. The killer slips away.

Young and inexperienced, Will MacReady starts h
Published August 25th 2016 by Bonnier Zaffre

To ask other readers questions about Ash and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash and Bones

Christine
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ash and Bones introduces a rather young and lovely police officer, Will MacReady. This the world of Cardiff noir. It is the brand new novel from Mike Thomas.

MacReady joins CID, on the day of the tragic death of a police officer. MacReady attempts to fit into the culture of CID as a trainee detective constable and learn the ropes, as well as navigate a shaky home life. It’s a complicated world, full of police jargon and pettiness. MacReady is definitely considered to be at the bottom of the pecki
Liz Barnsley
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooh I was rather fond of this. It’s been waiting on the pile long enough that’ll teach me..

So gritty, intense, addictive crime fiction you are after is it? Well look no further, Mike Thomas has you covered. First in a new series featuring Will MacReady, Cardiff set, this is a crime drama with bite and some intensely compelling characters. Including Charlotte Beck – whose interaction and relationship with MacReady is one I want to see more of.

ANYWAY lets talk nitty gritty. I did say it was gritty
Cats of Ulthar
Review: ASH AND BONES

For those, like me, who love British police procedurals, delve into the super Welsh mystery ASH AND BONES, and view Cardiff as you've not seen it [it sure wasn't like this in "Torchwood" ]. Newly-minted Detective Constable Will MacReady is ready, willing, and eager to detect. The problem, in his colleague's view, is Will' s independent streak. Like Robert Bryndza' s series protagonist DCI Erika Foster, Will goes where the clues lead--minus backup and without hierarchical per
Andrew Webber
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is the best crime/ police thriller I have read in a very long time. It's grippy, it's gritty, it's fast-paced. It's everything you want a thriller to be. The main character is one to root for but is not a cliche, which immediately sets it apart from so many crime/ police thrillers.

Two aspects of the the novel really stand out to me:

1) the sheer authenticity of it. The characters, the setting, the dialogue (both police patter and criminal turn of phrase. The authors time spent on the police
Kate
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.5 out of 5 stars ***
Mike Thomas is a new author to me, but when I heard that he had won around fans of Stuart Macbride's with his writing I knew I had to try his books.
Ash and Bones is the first book by this author that I have read and it certainly won't be the last. I absolutely loved the gritty, fast paced feel of this novel, it kept me reading well into the wee hours of the morning (a victim of "just one more chapter" syndrome).

In the beginning I was stumped to see how Mike Thomas coul
Thebooktrail
Booktrail map of locations Visit the destinations here

This one had more grit in it than a sandwich eaten on a windy day in Cardiff Bay. A solid police procedural with links to Lagos which really interested me. The author has been a police officer in the very city he writes about and you can tell. He's walked each and every beat of the police in the novel for the authenticity really stands out.

Gets really dark this one - no spoilers here but in the early pages a police officer gets shot at point
Karen
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my first for this author. I'm not sure about this one, it seemed to be all over the place and not very well organized. Maybe reading another in the series will change my mind.
Don
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-2017_goal-33
Ash and Bones by Mike Thomas is described as a crime and thriller book. And to a degree it is. Before I go any further I must state that this was an audio book, not a read.

I have stated several times that I think a narrator can make or break an audio book. In Ash and Bones, it was the latter. I nearly stopped listening to it in the first few chapters as it seemed to be a continual drone with no audible difference between characters. This may have been me not being ready for a new book. However,
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The story starts off in Nigeria where a man drops a boy off with a priest in an orphanage. Alarm bells instantly were ringing in my head as it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that something very un towards is going on and I was frightened as to what was in store for the young boy.

Even though the story may start off in Nigeria, the remainder of the story is pretty much set in Cardiff. We are introduced to new ‘kid on the block’, Will MacReady who I just loved.

Will is obviously wanting to
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I've read by this author, and feel it's his most accessible yet. With a pace that gallops along it would be easy to get lost in the story and miss some of the well-crafted descriptions with which Thomas fleshes out his version of Cardiff and the various characters and 'MOPs'! Knowing Cardiff, and that the author was a serving police officer there, I can't help but wonder how much of this is based on experience and observation!

Overall a cracking read, and one that fans of
Martha Brindley
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Fantastic plot and great characters. It took me a while to link the parallel stories but this is an enjoyable read with an independent lead character in Will. I hope there will be a follow up. Crime fans will enjoy this. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
(This review may contain spoilers).

I was very intrigued when I read the blurb of this book and even though the very first scene didn't immediately have anything to do with the plot, it was still enough to pique my interest in the rest of the book.

While I did find MacReady an interesting character and it was good to see his relationship with his wife, I kind of lost an emotional connection with him due to his interactions with the other characters. Apart from Beck, I wasn't really able to differe
Abbie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2017, july-2017
I have had Ash and Bones sitting waiting to be read for a while. The perfect opportunity came up to read it as part of the 144 books around the UK challenge and the fact that the second in the Detective MacReady series is due out over the summer. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t believe it took me so long to get around to reading it.

Set in Cardiff, Ash and Bones follows trainee detective Will MacReady as he sets out on his new career path. He is introduced to his new team with a bang when a rai
Patricia Green
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose this because I love Stuart McBride and although I enjoyed it I felt that it was nowhere near the same league as Stuart.
If you read it, bear that in mind and judge it on it's own merits.
It was good, the characters are forming up nicely to have their own series, the only thing I really didn't enjoy was the overuse of police jargon. I wish that authors would realise that not everyone has worked in the police force! I guess it makes it more authentic but I find it just plain annoying.
Oh an
Arlene Downey
I enjoyed this audio book. The mysteries left few clues, and were very absorbing. From the beginning there was obviously something very huge going on and the CID squad was dealing with bit players. The people they talk to who know what is going on are too afraid or too involved to tell the police anything.

The audio book was narrated with a British accent and there were a number of colloquial expressions that may be confusing if the non-UK reader/listener is not familiar with them.

All in all a v
Miki Jacobs
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this a lot. We're introduced to Will Macready, a DC with Cardiff police. With the team, they are investigating a torso found in Cardiff Bay and the murder of a Policeman. In between times his personal life is going wrong.
Witnesses don't want to talk, so it's slow progress.
Meanwhile someone is shipping young children to Portugal where they are undergoing surgery.
At times you want to give Will a good shake and ask him WTF, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Tom
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from the £1 clearance section of a bookshop to take on holiday, so glad I did, what a bargain. An excellent novel by an author new to me but I will definitely look for more.
Christopher
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Stocato style works well for police force process and humour, although could be tiresome in a series. Will see how that goes. Makes for an entertaining read. Funny characters.
Isla Scott
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime-thriller
I got bored and stopped reading.
Dean David
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good
James
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Mike Thomas, a former Cardiff police officer turned author, first came to my attention with his novel A Pocket Notebook, a dark, funny tale of a firearms officer going off the rails. Next up was his hugely enjoyable Ugly Bus, literally one of the best books I have read, and one of the few to feature as its protagonists’ members of the TSG. The Territorial Support Group is the nearest UK police forces come to having a riot squad, and as such when it does appear in fiction it’s usually as knuckle
Cornerofmadness
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
Breakaway Reviewers
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gripping and realistic thriller

Written by ex-cop Mike Thomas, this book is not only a first-class thriller but details what life is really like in the ‘dark’ areas of our major cities.

Following a totally disastrous police raid in the Cardiff dock area, ‘newbie’ CID detective Will MacReady finds himself on the sidelines of the investigation.

When things hot up and the body count rises, MacReady is full of helpful suggestions but receives little praise from his superiors. Together with his sergea
Chris Whitaker
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By far the most authentic crime novel I’ve read, I couldn’t put Ash and Bones down.
The story begins in Nigeria, where a young boy is left in the care of a pastor at an orphanage, money changes hands and we’re left to work out where this is heading, and how it could possibly be linked to a police raid gone bad in Cardiff. And from that moment on, Mike Thomas takes us on a perfectly controlled, gritty, no-holds-barred journey to uncover the truth. The characterisation is outstanding, Will makes f
Steve Black
Quite good for a first in series. As an ex copper, Thomas obviously knows the environment he is describing (although, even as a regular crime fiction reader there were several abbreviations used that I was not familiar with).
There have been some comparisons with Stuart McBride, and there are some similarities (eg dysfunctional private life, ignoring orders, continual misfortune). What is missing is MacBride's humour and outrageous characters.
I enjoyed the book, and although it wasn't difficult
Victor Borgeest
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
barely a read
Ruth Steel
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book packs some punch. It's gritty and fast paced with a storyline that is scarily credible. I would love this to become a series as the main character has such potential.
Helen
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable crime thriller, took a while to link the two sides of the story, but all in all, a good read
Michelle Arnold
Mar 27, 2018
John Wyche
Sep 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mike Thomas was born in Wales in 1971. For more than two decades he served in the police, working some of Cardiff’s busiest neighbourhoods in uniform, public order units, drugs teams and CID. He left the force in 2015 to write full time.

His debut novel, Pocket Notebook, was published by William Heinemann (Penguin Random House) and longlisted for the Wales Book of the Year. The author was also name

DC Will MacReady (2 books)
  • Unforgivable (DC Will MacReady, #2)