Start by marking “Bees in Loretta's Bonnet” as Want to Read:
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet

Bees in Loretta's Bonnet

When Loretta dropped her armload of firewood on the hearth, a mysterious tube fell from between the logs. It was a leafcutter bee nest. Loretta took it back out to the woodpile and watched as holes appeared. But where were the bees?

She found more holes appearing in leaves on her rose bushes. And even some of the rose petals. But where were the bees?

Leafcutter bees are more
Published April 30th 2016 by Look Under Rocks

To ask other readers questions about Bees in Loretta's Bonnet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bees in Loretta's Bonnet

Chris
Jun 09, 2016 added it

Leafcutter bees are more efficient than honey bees for pollinating gardens. The book includes instructions for building a nest that may lure wild bee
Whispering Stories
‘Bees in Loretta’s Bonnet’ is a delightfully informative book aimed at children between three and eight years, by American author Lois J Wickstrom. Not feeling qualified to review this work alone, I enlisted the help of someone of appropriate age.

Noah already knew about quite a bit about bees but enjoyed the story and particularly liked the interactive section in the final third of the book. The subtlety of the title was lost on him, but parents who read the book with their children will appreci
CommonBookSense
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, before I begin I must say that I am not at an age where I am 'qualified' to read children's books....but we're very welcoming on CommonBookSense, so I review them anyway ('sides, it's not like there's a 5 year old running a book review blog...who am I kidding, this is the internet.

Anywho, onto the review!

Bees in Loretta's Bonnet is an easy to understand children's book. I can see it being in elementary school libraries. I especially liked the little how-to at the end. I can see teachers usin
Today We Did
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Today We Did
While bringing in wood from the woodpile during winter, Loretta finds a leafcutter bee’s nest. She puts the nest back in the woodpile and watches it to see what happens when spring arrives.

Bees in Loretta’s Bonnet blends facts and fiction into a delightful and educational picture book. Information about leafcutter bees is integrated subtlety; the kids won’t even know they are learning about nature! The story is easy to read and the text is clear. Quaint illustrations feature througho
Marie
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Story:

This was quite an interesting little story all about leafcutter bees - and how they end up in Loretta's bonnet. It's full of lots of fascinating tidbits on the bees and it even includes a little tutorial on making your own nest to attract wild bees to your yard.

A few grammatical issues took the story down a notch. Using numerals (e.g. "5", "6th", "3/4") instead of spelling out the words is generally frowned upon. This is a fairly small issue overall; however, a children's book should striv
Natasha Murray
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Tale of Lovely Leafcutter Bees

Bees in Loretta’s Bonnet is a charming and educational tale about a little girl who is fascinated by nature and after finding a Leafcutter bee’s nest - learns more about them.

I have heard about solitary bees but not a Leafcutter bee and absorbed the beautiful colour illustrations and story keenly, wanting to learn more. I also liked very much the instructions about how to build your own Leafcutter nest to attract bees. I love nature too, so can recommend this book
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet is a cute little children's book that is entertaining and fun but it is educational as well. I'm not exactly a lover of bees but this book taught me the importance of bees and how important they are in nature.

I loved the illustrations done by Francie Mion, too! They were very beautifully done. There is also a little "how-to" for building a little nest for wild bees by yourself. This was a nice, quick read :) 4 Stars!

*Note: I received a copy of this book from the author i
Nicole