Start by marking “World, Chase Me Down” as Want to Read:
World, Chase Me Down

World, Chase Me Down

A rousing, suspenseful debut novel True Grit meets Catch Me If You Can based on the forgotten true story of a Robin Hood of the American frontier who pulls off the first successful kidnapping for ransom in U.S. history.

Once the most wanted man in America, Pat Crowe is a forgotten folk hero who captivated the nation as an outlaw for economic justice. World, Chase Me Down resurrects h
Published January 24th 2017 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about World, Chase Me Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World, Chase Me Down

Faith
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, publisher
This very enjoyable book is a fictionalized account of the life of Pat Crowe who was the most wanted man in America in the early 1900s. I had never heard of Crowe and have no idea how much of this story is true, but it pulls you in like a tall tale told around a campfire. Crowe tells his tale in a wistful, resigned manner with beautiful language that felt perfectly appropriate for the period. I give a lot of credit to this new author for keeping the tone so consistent.

In 1900, Crowe
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so well executed. This is told all from the point of view of Pat Crowe. This fictional account is based on the real Pat Crowe and his mark on society. What a fun read and never have I pulled for the "bad guy" like I did in this book. Excellent, entertaining, quick read. I highly recommend you get a copy of this one.
Joe
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I walked the city all morning just as I had all night before, ruled by a hate so compound that the word itself - hate - was as insufficient a vessel for encompassing the emotion as cup assigned to contain the sky. But there was no other word for it. No other. Hate, I am not a phoenix rising. Hate, there is only this pile of ashes. Hate, I used to be something else, but I have not transformed. Do not look upon me anew. You have seen me before. I am that hated thing, and I wear no mask. I am not ...more
Marla
Very interesting story about Pat Crowe, the first man to kidnap a child for ransom. It does jump around to different parts of his life when a new chapter starts, which is SO confusing and hard to follow. I wish it had just gone in chronological order or made an indication at the beginning of the chapters. The writing is good but the set-up is horrible. I'm so glad I didn't listen to this as an audiobook or I would have stopped after one CD.

I received the book through the Penguin Rand
Andy Weston
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel from Hilleman that recounts the true story of Pat Crowe as a fictionalised version. Crowe was an American pioneer who rose to prominence in the 1900s after he pulled off a plot to kidnap the son of a wealthy family and demanded $25,000 for his safe return. It was the first recorded kidnapping and ransom in US history.
The plot is fresh and compelling, and the writing well-ordered without being of the southern gothic style. The fact that the bulk of the story is based on tru
Jennifer Parr
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
This book took so long to get through, but not for a lack of interest. I really did want to keep reading because the story is so beautifully written, and there's so much action!
Gwen
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not the typical story genre that I read. I'm more of a sci fi space opera kind of girl. However, this book changed my mind. I have to say that this story is fuh-rea-king good. Once you start reading you won't be able to stop. As I read this story I couldn't stop hearing Bon Jovi's song Blaze of Glory playing in my mind. It still is! The writing is brilliant! It's a must read. There is nothing more awesome than reading about a vigilante badass cowboy.
Matt Suder
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club, 2017
Not the best, not the worst. Felt like there are 3 ideas for a novel jammed into this, none executed at a high level. The various Omaha locales noted were a fun touch.
SarahVill
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book didn't seem like my cup of tea to begin with and the cover made me think of a western movie poster. Ugh. I'm tired of that. I had my hesitations from the start. But, by three pages in, I was convinced: this book is amazing! I've never read writing like this. Some of the phrases and images blew me out of my chair. It was like reading Mark Twain or Charles Frazier for the first time. How can there be someone this talented out there in the universe? I could not put this book down. It's ab ...more
Brendan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book divided me, on one hand it was really interesting but on the other hand it flipped around so much it confused me. I'm leaning on a 3.5 with this one and I think if they novel included dates somewhere below the chapter numbers this might elevate my score to 4. The interesting part of the story is in the highwayman sections, this is where the story comes to life. I never knew of the Pat Crowe legacy but that's because of the Linbergh kidnapping that is now infamous. The characters are qu ...more
Anna Marie
Based on historical fact, this is a fictional version of this first successful USA kidnapper, Pat Crowe. He just wanted a good life; a business of his own and a family. But this was not to be because of the cabal behind the meat packing industry. To get his revenge, he takes the teenage son of his former boss. He travels all over the place trying to escape the Pinks, police and everyone looking to get the reward for his capture. After a few years he gives himself up and returns for trial. This e ...more
Aimee Kessell
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Andrew Hilleman does a fantastic job writing in the first person point of view of the not-so-fictional Pat Crowe. You can't help but feel as if you're in the early 20th century with Crowe as he plans and carries through a kidnapping and his escapades years after.

Part of you cheers for Pat Crowe as he carries out his dastardly plans because who doesn't want to see the poor man make it against capitalism, but at the same time, you can't help but have your skin crawl at just how terribl
H R Koelling
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. My first foray into Historical Fiction, which I generally avoid.

I wasn't aware of the Pat Crowe story in American history. It's a fascinating story, especially because it documents the support of the common man over the greed of early 20th century Titans of industry. It's a story of vigilante revenge for the excesses of power abuse that was rampant during this time period. Makes me wish someone would do this kind of thing today, but it could never happen again like
Rob
I really enjoyed this one. It's one of those which, for me, was better than the sum of it's parts. The writing is great, the tone is spot on, and the story, based on a real one, was enthralling. I just recently was thinking, after reading Pompeii , that historical fiction didn't really work for me. But in this case, I loved it.

Though the writing quality was excellent, and the narrative compelling, I'm not sure entirely why I liked it so much, but I did.
Mikey24
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! I really enjoyed it
Meghan Schlattmann
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful read. Wonder story construction and the gritty world of 1900 was palpable! Absolutely amazing.
Brenda
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent fictionalized story with an original voice. Beautiful wordsmith.
Cathy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book, based on the life of Pat Crowe, a kidnapper, robber and murderer. Mr Crowe had an exceptional vocabulary, although he had little formal education. This is the story of the kidnapping of a robber baron's son, the years of wandering after this "crime" and the resulting trial.

I received this book from Goodreads giveaway.
J.R.
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been said, the best part of history is story. That being true, Andrew Hilleman has crafted an entertaining piece of fiction based on a real crime.
On the evening of Dec. 18, 1900, Patrick Crowe, a disgruntled former employee of the Cudahy Meatpacking Company of Omaha, Nebraska, kidnapped the owner's 16-year-old son. Edward Cudahy Sr. paid the ransom and his namesake was freed, setting the stage for a bizarre series of events Hilleman has depicted in his rousing picaresque tale.
Hi
Michael Martin
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
World, Chase Me Down Andrew Hilleman

A debut novel puts much pressure on the reader and author, certainly more for the author. A reader is the passive analyst/reviewer of the author and his or her editor.

Andrew Hilleman surprised me, in a good way. The story of Pat Crowe’s 1900 kidnapping of 16 year-old Edward Cudahy Jr., the son of Omaha’s largest meatpacking owner, is documented. Print media covered the disappearance. Crowe is quickly named the principal suspect, along with his par
Terry Pearson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes thrills, adventure, engaging stories
Recommended to Terry by: Penguin Books
I was sent a copy of the book by the publisher for an honest review.

From the bookcover-

..based on the forgotten true story of a Robin Hood of the American Frontier who pulls off the first successful kidnapping for ransom in U.S. history, inciting a manhunt that was dubbed "the thrill of the nation" and a showdown in the court of public opinion between haves and have-nots.

This is the fictionalized true story of Pat Crowe and how he got away with the "Crime of t
Bamboozlepig
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
Hilleman wove a good tale with this one. Based on the real life story of Pat Crowe, Hilleman takes us into Crowe's life, including when Crowe kidnapped the son of an Omaha meatpacking giant. The plot moved along at a good pace and despite the shifts in the narrative timeline, the format worked well as far as getting the backstory told. Crowe's character shone in the 1st person narration and Hilleman has some amazing prose within the novel. For a first time novel, this turned out to be a solidly ...more
Schuyler Wallace
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

I didn’t much care for Pat Crowe, the “folk hero” of Andrew Hilleman’s “World, Chase Me Down.” He is portrayed as a kidnapper, murderer, con man, and fugitive with an acidic mouth and violent temperament. The author’s portrait of Crowe is so realistic that I found nothing endearing about him.

After thrashing around as a drunken loser, Crowe, along with an equally dislikeable fellow, Billy Cavanaugh, decide to kidnap the son of a wealthy Omaha meat packer. Although the alleged “Crime o
Caitlin
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received free from Penguin First to Read, but my thoughts are my own.

Pat Crowe kidnapped the teenage son of a wealthy meatpacking tycoon Ed Cudahy--who coincidentally had put him out of business at his butcher shop, and whose brother had married Crowe's ex-wife--took the ransom, and ran. Then one day, he stopped running, turned himself in, and began a sensational trial that was more about Cudahy's price fixing than Crowe's guilt.

The story begins with Crowe as an old man, and jumps a
Joe Holzer
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meet Pat Crowe. Pat cuts meat. Pat falls for Hattie. Pat's world falls apart. World attempts to chase Pat down.

Pat Crowe, the anti-hero narrator, is as deep in metaphor as he is both love and trouble but doesn't read as over-indulgent. Crowe trades Marlowe-esque cynicism for a more elegiac and nostalgic approach. An admitted poetry afficianado, Crowe's propensity for vivid elocution isn't meant to manipulate but rather express himself in his cunning yet casual manner.

Love, more than
Ronald Roseborough
Patrick Crowe was a very complicated man. He was raised right as a child to be hard working, straight forward, and honest. He was also raised to stand up for himself and what he believed. He labored hard in the stockyards and slaughter houses of Omaha trying to earn a decent living and got not much more than a sore back. Pat saved a down trodden, alcoholic co-worker, Billy, from a bad beating by some of the bullies at the slaughter house. Good intentions, bad idea. Pat took his butchering skills ...more
Megan M
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not the thrill ride I thought it was going to be, but I quite admire the main character.
Rachel Dows
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
"Democracy is an ideology. But ideologies don't win elections."

On the cover this novel is described as a "rollicking great read" - and that description rings true to the end. A fun, relatively fast-paced historical novel.
Kookie
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Very rousing, suspenseful and violent. I might be biased because I've lived in Omaha my entire life, so I can walk out my door and see some of the places featured in this story. Recommended!
Adriana
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The (fictionalized) story of Pat Crowe is fantastic on a very human scale.
Hilleman takes readers thru a time-jumping look at the life of a man who was once one of the most colorful desperadoes in American history without really making it about the crime he committed. It's more about a man whose rather peculiar moral code leads him to commit some mistakes that ended up turning him into a legend to the poor of the country.
The plot jumps back and forth between Crowe's early life, crime, escape, t
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Backlands (Kerney Family, #2)
  • Road to Reckoning
  • Glorious: A Novel of the American West
  • Far as the Eye Can See
  • Born on a Mountaintop: On the Road with Davy Crockett and the Ghosts of the Wild Frontier
  • Prisoner 88