Start by marking “Math Games Lab for Kids: 24 Fun, Hands-On Activities for Learning with Shapes, Puzzles, and Games” as Want to Read:

Make math fun!
Make learning math fun by sharing these hands-on labs with your child. Math Lab for Kids presents more than 50 activities that incorporate coloring, drawing, games, and items like prisms to make math more than just numbers. With Math Lab for Kids, kids can:

- Explore geometry and topology with hands-on examples like prisms, antiprisms, Platonic solids,
Published January 1st 2017 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Math Games Lab for Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Math Games Lab for Kids

Start your review of Math Games Lab for Kids: 24 Fun, Hands-On Activities for Learning with Shapes, Puzzles, and Games
Alicia Bayer
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book of math activities for kids and was surprised to get to the end and see that it's by the same author of a math game book that I really disliked last year. (All of which is confusing because I just noticed this one was published several years ago even though it was just put on NetGalley recently, and the same publisher seems to have done both versions). While some of the activities are the same, she (and a co-author, from the looks of it) really created a successful math a ...more
Cami
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a mathematician with an advanced degree in pure mathematics and 17+ years of experience tutoring kids in math. I also have 4 kids (ages 2-13) of my own. I'm pretty picky when it comes to math books for kids- it seems like so many either dumb the math down too much or lose kids' interest with boring discussions. This one is different- it actually manages to be fun, engaging, AND full of accurate and complex mathematical concepts without losing the kids' attention. Well done!
Amber Webb
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible! Teaching in a school for gifted students, I know I have students who will need these activities as math extensions and bonuses. The book is laid out well, activities are Cleary explained and the illustrations are appropriate and helpful. I like how the book is broken into sections and connected challenges. I can't wait to start using this with kids!
Karen Goodman
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a gift for any school-age child, teachers, or parents
Recommended to Karen by: Family member
Math Lab for Kids is all it claims to be in its introduction: a large collection of fun learning activities that will help learners develop problem-solving and other higher order thinking skills as well as specific concepts and vocabulary in geometry, mapping, curves and fractals, puzzles and graph theory. Each activity is presented with a photo of actual children in the targeted age group (6-10 years) doing the activity, including views of the work produced by the children. The book is clearly ...more
Glenn
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands on activities at home makes a different approach to math problems a fun event for all. Use their math skills in making a different approach to it. Having fun is the key to getting your child to dig right in and doing puzzles and activities in record time. Colorful designs and easy to follow instructions. I high recommend this book.

I was given this book from Quarto Knows for an honest review.
Janet
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I have played a "zillion games" of scrabble, done a "zillion crosswords" and I AM BORED!!!)

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the
Annie
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Math Games Lab for Kids is a fun activity and games book for young readers. Released in 2017 by Quarto on their Quarry imprint, it's 144 pages and available in flexibound and ebook formats. It's book 6 of (currently) 24 books in the Labs for Kids series. Aimed at middle grade readers (grades 3-7) and their adults (parents, guardians, school resource personnel/teachers etc), it includes 25 short lab units for diverse math related fun (really!) a
Julia
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
So many interesting things in this book. From making geometrical shapes to Möbius strip magic, to fractals, and to playing Nim, an ancient maths game which I had never heard of before.

To be honest, I especially liked the section on colouring like a mathematician. It makes total sense when you look at it from the mathematician's perspective, it's a simple yet "mindblowing" method".

No matter which game from this book you'll try with your students, I'm sure they will not only have fun playing/maki
Two BookWorms Blog
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although I’m glad to see some interesting STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) books becoming available, I was still curious. It seems so unlikely that a kid would pick this up as a book to read. I wondered if these activities could possibly be as fun as the titles claim.

For this book, at least, the promise of fun is truly fulfilled.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Etienne
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
2,5/5. Honestly a bit too simple. I like the concept and the purpose of this book, I also like the mathematical concepts introduces with the activities presented, but the activities themselves are a bit too simple, not much educative and just a «fun» thing mildly relate to the concept. If you're looking for something fun and light this might do it, but if you're looking for something truly educative, then I think you better pass on that one.
Josephine
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Math Games Lab for Kids shares more than 50 hands-on activities that make learning fun and creative,

Included are geometry and topology by making prisms, anti prisms, Platonic solids, and Moebius strips.
Learners build logic skills by playing and strategizing through tangrams, toothpick puzzles, and the game of Nim.

Everything you need to complete the activities can be found in the book or around the house.
Kelly Corley (lets.get.biblio)
I really enjoyed this book. I am a middle school math coach and a mom. This book was very easy to follow and it made mathematical concepts fun and relevant to younger kids. This is perfect for kids all the way through high school. They are great, Easy activities that honestly do not require much prep or background math knowledge. I highly recommend this for teachers and definitely parents!
Lael Walters
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cute book of games that go far beyond the normal addition and multiplication. It would be good for a kid who believes they don't like math and for the kid who likes math too! Sadly it is a little young for my own kids or I'd be buying it right now. The only downside is that it would be hard to tie in with a specific math program they were working on.
Erica
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot wait to take these activities into my 3rd grade classroom! We’re getting ready to start geometry, and these will be great for hands on and extensions!
Angie
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-non-fiction
I think this is going to be a good tool for kids. It breaks everything down and makes it fun
Dianna Sanchez
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This amazing book landed my mailbox this week: Math Lab for Kids by Rebecca Rapoport and J.A. Yoder. (Disclosure: the authors are friends of mine, and I received a review copy.) It’s the perfect gift for any budding mad scientist because it showcases the creative side of math.

My children are notoriously difficult to influence. Recommending a book is a great way to ensure that they will not read it. They will, however, pick up books left lying around or sneak them off my shelves. So when Math Lab
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great way for kids to learn how broad the world of mathematics is - AND have fun!
I have 3 degrees in mathematics, taught math for more than a decade, was a teacher educator for two decades, and finished the last decade of my 45-year education career as a school administrator, and so I have read a LOT of math books. And I can tell you that this one is GREAT!

When a former colleague and I were researching what children believe math is, we were consistently dismayed to find out how a
Debra Goodman
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an outstanding resource for classroom teachers and parents and will provide elementary and middle school students with a strong background in mathematics.
The book is organized in experience-based, problem solving math experiences that peak children's interest and support their learning as mathematicians. Using household objects and inexpensive materials (i.e. toothpicks, paper, scissors, string, gumdrops, and sidewalk chalk) children learn math concepts (including geometry, topology
Cecily
Aug 11, 2019
Sawy-o
Oct 20, 2018
Rebecca Rapoport
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jan 23, 2017
Jul 12, 2018
Annie Koh
May 11, 2020
Jan 23, 2017

• A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • The New Husband
  • Thick: And Other Essays
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
  • Never Home Alone: From Microbes to Millipedes, Camel Crickets, and Honeybees, the Natural History of Where We Live
  • Remy the Rhino Learns Patience
  • Craft Lab for Kids: 52 DIY Projects to Inspire, Excite, and Empower Kids to Create Useful, Beautiful Handmade Goods
  • The Little Boy Who Lost His Name
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Prairie Lotus
  • Stick Cat: Two Catch a Thief
  • Stella Endicott and the Anything-Is-Possible Poem
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)