Start by marking “Meanjin (Vol 75, #2)” as Want to Read:
Meanjin (Vol 75, #2)

Meanjin (Vol 75, #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
The Meanjin winter issue takes on the culture wars. It's an essential primer in this election season written by Melbourne academic Mark Davis, the man who brought you Gangland, the book that revealed the baby boomer cultural monopoly. Now Davis turns his attention to the shady world of cultural politics, a world dominated by race, climate, and irrational fear. Why does our ...more
Paperback
Published June 15th 2016 by Meanjin

To ask other readers questions about Meanjin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meanjin

Highlyeccentric
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
All-round a good edition, but I don't think I was in the right space to fully appreciate it.

I found the short story The Voice, about a boy soprano who revolts at the idea of losing his identity as a soprano... interesting. I think there's probably a very fine line between an interesting story about identity, desire and fear of puberty and something that's trivialising to trans experience, though, and I'm not sure where the line lies.

The lead article by Mark Davis on Australian culture wars was
Avril
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Couldn’t read Gerard Henderson’s ‘What Irish Catholics did for Australian Democracy’; he lost me when complaining about no longer being able to use the phrase ‘neurotic Catholic mothers’ for fear of giving offence. But the rest was excellent, especially Robyn Annear on her mother’s hair. History through hairstyles.
Jacques
Aug 19, 2016
jeniwren
marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2017
Jonathan Green has been a working journalist since the late 1970s, mainly on newspapers including The Melbourne Herald, The Herald Sun, The Sunday Herald, The Sunday Age and The Age. He edited Crikey for three years before becoming foundation editor of ABC online's The Drum. He now hosts Sunday Extra on Radio National.
More about Jonathan Green