Start by marking “The Preacher” as Want to Read:

(Preacher #1)

Published 2016 by Brach Books, LLC (first published July 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Preacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Preacher

Dave
Wow! Absolutely great! You get a hardboiled one-eyed professional poker player who runs around in a preacher’s black outfit. Oh, and he’s also a kung fu loving Vietnam Ver. You have poker games, Murder (maybe), con artists, Bunco men, and the great Southwest. It feels like an old western, but it’s not. This is one overlooked little gem!

Bandit
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audio book took me entirely too long to finish through no fault of its own. I normally listen to audio books on my walks and winter isn’t really conducive for such excursions. But every time I was outside I really enjoyed listening to it. And I don’t even like poker. And this book has a lot of poker. But it’s also a murder mystery set in a small town and solved by a character known as Preacher, no relation to the comic book/tv show guy, although similar attires. The main thing here though f ...more
Coco.V
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
🎁 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (2/26/2019)! 🎁

Blurb:
THE UNFORGETABLE HERO WHO ONCE SAVED SOULS…AND NOW DEALS DEATH

A mysterious, one-eyed stranger wanders into Farewell, New Mexico, a dusty border town rife with corruption. He’s known only as The Preacher, an ex-Priest, ex-Special Forces commando, and now a professional gambler who has given up on his own salvation … but is determined to find justice for a murdered Vietnam vet… even if it means taking on the entire, God forsaken town.

AN
Jay Williams
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The opening chapter of this book is possibly the best I have ever read. It snaps the reader to attention and introduces most of the major characters in depth, while driving hard action. The plot includes suspense, violence, intense relationships, love and heartbreak. An ever-present poker game serves up the knowledge and sensitivity the Preacher uses for his life. His backstory fills in through the book, ensnaring the reader into a close relationship with and understanding of the man. The plot i ...more
Jim A
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well written novel. The author’s philosophy on several subjects comes out at various points. His thoughts on banks and bankers was excellent. His philosophy on corporations and unemployed was also very well written.

This was written in the late 80’s and the technology of the day shows through. The Preacher is a poker player, but the game in the book is 7-Card Stud, not the more popular Texas Hold ‘em.

Also, given when this was written versus when it was transcribed into Kindle format, one wo
Kris
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has a timeless western feel but is set in the modern day in New Mexico. Preacher is a seminarian who dropped the priesthood after Vietnam, fled to the mountains and then became a professional poker player. There is so much more to all that but….read the book. You won’t be disappointed.

The book starts out strong and never flags for one minute. It is one of those books you desperately want to get back to reading. The opening scene is a poker game and it introduces almost ever
Jason
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Felt like a mish mash of Lee Child and Joe R Lansdale.

At first I thought that the Preacher character - an older war veteran who roams the country playing poker and has a history full of secrets - felt too much like Jack Reacher - another old veteran who roams the country. But then I learned that Preacher came out the previous decade.
William
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. The first of a short series. The Preacher is an ex-priest, ex-soldier, who has found his calling as a professional poker player. He's been called to the town of Farewell, NM by an old friend from his priesthood days to help uncover what caused one of the local citizens to possibly commit suicide leaving his business and loving family behind.
Ben
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
“Preacher” begins with a chapter that quickly involves the reader in a story type that will be familiar to anyone who has watched the classic western “ Shane” or movies like “ Bad Day at Black Rock. A stranger shows up in town , gets involved in someone’s problems and raises hell, kicking ass and taking names. In Mr. Thackeray’s hands the old western is given a new twist.
A thin man dressed in a black suit arrives in Farewell, a small town in New Mexico, at the invitation of an old friend, a min
Debra
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’d never read a mystery by Ted Thackery, Jr., but the concept of a protagonist who is a former priest and current poker player intrigued me, as did the back cover blurb. Known only as the Preacher, he travels to the small town of Farewell, New Mexico at the request of old friend and priest, Jake Spence. Jake is worried that another friend’s died under suspicious circumstances despite the official ruling of a helicopter accident. In his search for the truth, the Preacher faces a fair bit of viol ...more
Sweetpea
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this, so imagine my surprise when I LOVED it! Preacher is certainly one of the most unique characters that I've come across in a long time. He's an ex-preacher who is now a professional poker player and a detective that kicks butt when the need arises. Oh, and did I mention that he has only one eye? Surrounding him was a very interesting cast of characters, good and bad alike. The writing was fantastic and I especially enjoyed the dialogue. Shawn Compton was ...more
Steve Greatrex
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-eritten, gripping story of small-town skullduggary and murder... Preacher is a professional poker player called to investigate a death in New Mexico, where the victim had been playing in a wekly poker game and may have been cheted.

Preacher is a Viet Nam vet, a former priest, a man who gave up a commision in the Army and then enlisted to go into combat, and the owner of a small town in Northern California that acts as a refuge for PTSD sufferers... Of whom Preacher is one. His injury cost
Steve
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got this as a free download from Bookbub, and pretty much got my money's worth. A former priest, given to invoking Eastern philosophical practices to help him win at poker, become a detective when a former colleague asks for his help. He solves the mystery, of course, wins the poker match, of course - the only thing he doesn't do is get the girl, because she's dead. Nothing about this book would entice me to read about the further exploits of the title character, free download or not.
Revvell
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

One of the few books I have read in awhile where I was tempted to.purchase others by this author.

His characters are unique as are his location descriptions. One of the few books I could not wait to come back to in some time.
Susie Dokos
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope the rest of the series is as good as this one.

If you enjoy Jack Reacher, or Noah Wolf. This book is for you. Just have plenty of time set aside, because you start reading it'll difficult to stop.
Marshall D. Whitaker
An Excellent Simple Read

This work is a well crafted story. The narrative is easy to follow. The characters are complex and yet understandable and relatable. The work is timeless. This is a great evening read that is worth the time.
Gail Mchugh
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am so sorry to say I just did not get this book at all. The sermons. The sermons. The sermons. Reminded me of falling asleep in church when I was young. I had difficulty with the time period. Not my cup of tea.
Jacob T
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true thrill

Reading this story reminded me of the joy of reading my parents books a look at a different time. It shows that the beast known as man doesn’t change just the scene and trimmings do. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers!
Mark
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and decent read.

An interesting and decent read. Old west values in the modern Southwest. A little heavy on the country images but still good.
Jim
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Preacher

An average story. Not as good as some but better than others. A good mystery with a few twists. Too much discussion of poker hands.
Nick
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This is an interesting story about a former preacher now poker player. But so much more. He uses poker to solve mysteries and finds lots of trouble along the way.
Richard Wirth
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The main character is the old Western prototype hero, with modern sensitivity and self-questioning below the surface. Can't wait to read the followup.
Patty
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange Preacher

Murder. Poker. Lots and lots of money. Small town mentality. Religion. Beautiful woman. Violent maniac. Punks. Fast cars. This story had it all.
Marilyn
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

This book shows how people in a small town can ruin people for greed from them sevles.it could be true.
W. Brady
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amen!

Good reading, particularly liked the many references to Christianity.
Proves we are real people with real issues,but forgiven through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ.
John Karlson
Worthwhile

Ok, little different, worth your time if you are in need of a read. Almost out it down twice. Finished it but will not read the sequels and author is dead.
Steve
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, thriller, mystery
I had run out of books from the library so decided to try this one.
The premise got me to try it. I liked it, but not enough to read the others of the series.
michael coady
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preacher

What an amazing twist to a murder story to have a poker playing preacher be the good guy and also the tough guy hope there's more to come
Craig A
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read, enjoyed the characters and the different format. Awesome
E.R. Yatscoff
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
You should like poker and philosophy to read this. There are pages and pages that have the protagonist going in circles in his head with a homespun, drawling slang.

• He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8)
  • Tramp in Armor
  • Antinomy
  • Sicken and So Die (Charles Paris #16)
  • The Battle Of Forever
  • Cast a Yellow Shadow (Mac McCorkle, #2)
  • Abracadaver (Sergeant Cribb, #3)
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • Mother Finds a Body
  • The Adding Machine
  • Thurber's Dogs: A Collection of the Master's Dogs, Written and Drawn, Real and Imaginary, Legends All
  • The Mayfair Affair
  • This Is My Beloved
  • Long Live the Suicide King
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • The Wind Whales of Ishmael
  • Merlin's Vow (The Camelot Inheritance #3)
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
Ted Thackrey, Jr. (1918–2001), the editor, associate publisher and general manager of the New York Post, whose stepmother was Dorothy Schiff, later worked as a reporter for The Wichita Eagle in Wichita, Kansas, before joining the Los Angeles Examiner in the 1950s. He went on to the Los Angeles Times in 1968, where he eventually became a rewrite man. He died in July 2001.

Preacher (3 books)
  • Aces and Eights
  • King Of Diamonds
“Friends—kindred, allies upon the face of the earth—have priority among us on a par with food and shelter and clothing. They are not luxuries. They are a basic necessity of life…” 0 likes
“Monocularity is not a normal human condition; the body is made to see with two eyes, you get used to it early, and the person who loses one of his eyes never really becomes accustomed to the altered state of the world. He merely learns to live with it.” 0 likes