Start by marking “The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think” as Want to Read:
The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
From a thorough review of how money gets misspent to seven saving strategies, the Fools help readers get their finances in order and begin their investment careers with any amount of money, no matter how small.
Published January 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think

Nancie Lafferty
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good-humored and solid book on getting your financial life in order and starting to invest in your future.
Josh
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has any money and doesn't know what to do with it
EXCELLENT READ. So, here in the good ol' US of A, we don't do much in the way of educating our children about how to save and spend money. Therefore, even as a college graduate, I felt like I had *absolutely no idea* what to do with my income. Of course, I knew that blowing it all on Twinkies and DVDs was a bad idea, but I did not know what was a *good* idea. After reading this book, I felt like I had it all figured out.

The Motley Fool is all about living your life, and using your money wisely.
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
OK, I just like these guys. And in business, like most fields, likeability is king. However, if you can't produce, likeability won't get you much further. These books, by and large, are short and to the point. And they come from the two down home Gardner brothers who tell it like it is. These guys still look like two college kids looking to make good. And these books are good. Buy 'em all and get educated about a topic that our educational and financial institutions drop the ball on but is more ...more
Mark
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a easy reading investment book that starts off with getting people to save and pay off their credit card debt. Then it quickly explains some important keys to investing such as the fact that mutual funds do not beat the market average so index funds may be a better way to go. They also explain a few other ways one can invest such as with DRiPS, but their most worthy point is explaining how important compounding interest is. The book definitely got me to realize the short term investing I have be ...more
Derek Emerson
Okay -- I read a finance book and am alive to talk about it. Overall I really liked the book, but some material was dated. However, they act like you don't know anything about finances and since I don't, it was good. Best advice -- don't try to save money by brushing your teeth with your fingers. Live a comfortable life and go after the big money issues. I learned a lot about the stock market as well and it was all commonsense. Another good piece of advice: skip being tied to your budget since i ...more
Eugene Tan
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. Picked this book up at a second hand bookstore and it's contents, though written in the context of America, can be applicable to that in Singapore. You might want to skip the section on home mortgage though.

It was also interesting to read on America's 401k pension plans.

Overall, the principles & lessons in personal finance were conveyed in a writing style that is doused in humor & makes for easy reading.
Maria
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little uncertain how to rate this because for a finance book, it is quite entertaining and easy to read. But, compared to a non-finance "fun" read, it is on the boring side. So, if you want to read a finance book, this is a great one with more of light hearted and easy to read approach. If you want something entertaining to read while riding the bus, choose something else.
Claire Stewart
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Anyone who wants to retire with an ample nest egg should read this book! With its help, I made a really informed decision about my 401K at work. No one I know in their early twenties.thirties is well enough informed about smart finance.
Jennie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that this book is for people like me who know nothing about the stock market. It is a light-hearted approach that convinces you that you can understand investing. It did get a bit repetative though, but gives a lot of great pointers for beginners.
Saadiq Wolford
Dec 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid introduction to investing and personal finance management. After reading, I have a much greater understanding of my previous (and current) mistakes and what steps my wife and I need to take to build a secure financial future.

• The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Organize Yourself!
  • 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace.
  • The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • The Energy of Money: A Spiritual Guide to Financial and Personal Fulfillment
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • The Turtle Always Wins
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • The Period Book: A Girl's Guide to Growing Up
  • The Wall Street Journal. Complete Personal Finance Guidebook
  • Millionaire by Thirty: The Quickest Path to Early Financial Independence
  • The Lazy Person's Guide to Investing: A Book for Procrastinators, the Financially Challenged, and Everyone Who Worries About Dealing with Their Money
  • Personal Finance for Dummies
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Personal Finance
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • Learning JavaScript
Tom and David Gardner cofounded The Motley Fool, a multi-media financial education company, in 1993. Since then they have co-authored four New York Times bestsellers, including The Motley Fool Investment Guide and The Motley Fool's Rule Breakers, Rule Makers.

Librarian note:
Ther is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
More about David Gardner...