Start by marking “Lust” as Want to Read:
Lust

Lust

PERFECT for fans of Roald Dahl.

Think you know Dahl? Think again. There's still a whole world of Dahl to discover in a newly collected book of his deliciously dark tales for adults . . .

We fall not in love but in lust . . .

Lust, in all its myriad forms, consumes us. What won't we do to achieve our heart's desire? In these ten tales of twisted love master storyteller Ro
Published August 25th 2016 by Penguin

Start your review of Lust
Amy | littledevonnook
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
To begin with I wasn't sure if I liked this but as I read more I found myself completely hooked. I've only ever read Dahl's books for children so this was a new and slightly bizarre experience.

This is a collection of short stories that loosely connect to the theme of lust. As I said I have only read stories from Dahl that are aimed at children so it definitely took me a little while to get used to the more adult topics. Whilst this collection is meant for adults I feel it reads like Dahl's child
Kezia
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh man.. I reaaaaally wanted to love this book..

So let's start with the positives. I love Roald Dahls writing style - the stories are accessible and concise, whilst still maintaining the authors' famous dark wit and provacativeness. They give us a glimpse into the mind of the writer, who I have no doubt was a VERY eccentric and interesting man. I loved the twists that came at the end of a few of the stories, all of which I didn't see coming, and left me feeling (semi) satisfied... 😉... (sorry)
Abbie | ab_reads
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it

I didn’t enjoy this one as much as Deception - some of the stories were very much 1950s Playboy material, and the comments on women and sex were just too much. Some of them were funny, and most of them were enjoyable to read in terms of style, but I’m just not sure they’ve really aged well... For me anyway!
Richard Newton
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a time when Dahl was famous for his books for adults. They came long before his children's stories. They are short stories or novella's, mostly with a twist that is meant to amuse those with a slightly darker sense of humour. He is a masterful story teller as the stories do sweep you along, and whilst they are not all works of literary genius, they are all pieces that intrigue and keep you going to the end. Mostly the endings are not what you have predicted.

This is a collection based
Steve Ellerhoff
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It feels marvelous to circle back around on Roald Dahl's works as an adult. Having loved his books for children so much as a kid, falling for his stories for grown-ups as an adult is a treat few writers grant their readers. His penchant for moralizing and punishing bad behavior is alive and well in these stories -- the men gathered are a bunch of fools and worse. I remember being appalled as a boy when I caught my mom reading Switch Bitch -- just the knowledge Dahl had written a novel with that ...more
Ian Dominic
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Giving this four stars for a few stories that I thought were really interesting and got me hooked right away. Dahl can really come up with some pretty crazy twists and bleak endings for his stories. Unfortunately, not all of the stories were page-turners and yes, the way Dahl writes his female characters were quite problematic at times in that they are treated solely as objects of desire without a character of their own.
Sean Goh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Some of the twists, you'll never see coming. A mixed bag, but on average more worth reading than not. Just check your 21st century sensibilities at the door.
Tricia
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a collection of some of Dahl’s adult stories.

Like most collections of short stories, some were better than others. Overall though the book didn’t wow me.
Lynda
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A side of Roald Dahl I never knew! Darkness, mischief, and wicked humor. The backdrop of the stories was atmospheric, on the level of Graham Greene. This was a fun collection of stories that felt complete no matter how brief.
Niloy Mitra
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good set of stories. A couple were stellar.
Mikkel Tolnaes
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Browsing through the books in the museum shop at the Barbican I was mildly startled when I saw “Roald Dahl” among the likes of Kafka et al. Growing up, Roald Dahl nearly had a monopoly on the shelf space in my little bookcase, but little did I know that Dahl also wrote literature with a slightly older and significantly more mature audience in mind. In fact, when I saw the name I immediately picked up “Lust,” one of four books in a series of short story collections exploring our deepest secrets, ...more
Charlotte Langstroth
“𝒲𝑒 𝒻𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒾𝓃 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉...”
Slowly making my way through the whole collection of these as they’re such an addictive read. I read “Madness” and few months ago and managed to pick up second hand copies of “Deception” and “Innocence”.
3.5 stars as I didn’t enjoy this collection as much as I did “Madness”. They’re still all really twisted tales, all with such a climax, but a lot of these were quite perverse, which given the theme was expectant anyway, but just not for me. Unsurprisingly the
gretah
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: popsugar
Roald Dahl is a genius and all ten stories in this book had the most original, intriguing concepts. It was so fun reading these dark and twisted short stories. I would have given this book 5 stars if it wasn't for the misogyny expressed in quite a few stories where the women are described as nothing other than sexual objects. In 'The Great Switcheroo' and 'Bitch', although the concept of both was incredibly clever, it was disappointing to see that rape was being treated rather as an accomplishme ...more
Gizem Ozbicer
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Dahl's books for children and he is the best storyteller! But his adult books/short stories were new to me, so I gave it a try.

Entertaining, amusing and absurd enough to reveal bizarre stories and the storytelling skills of Dahl definitely makes you hooked after couple of stories. Don't be surprised if you start to this book and nit sure if you liked ut but keep reading to discover Dahl's world.
Pam Tickner
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. I had no idea Dahl wrote adult stories so picked this up. 10 short stories - a real mixed bag with sex as the common theme. Some of the stories were excellent, I particularly liked Neck, some were not to my liking, and others were tragic and have haunted me.
Lorena Ramli
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of Dahl’s stories that were first published in Playboy and The New York Times, and again in his books Someone Like You, and Kiss Kiss, which I had read as a teenager. For readers who found this wow is this really Dahl?, I recommend you to read My Uncle Oswald ;)
Rosie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Short stories for adults mostly written in the 50s & 60s which feel a bit dated, but all show Dahl's dark humour and wit. Some better than others ...more
Lester Tan
Aug 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
I could be blinded by my own dislike for short stories. I could be blinded by my high expectations after reading Roald Dahl's brilliant books like 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory' and 'Matilda'. But I wish 'Lust' has more hook to it.
Sylvana Zarb
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first couple of stories might end up in a slight disappointment yet from 'The Visitor' onwards I couldn't stop from reading till the very last page. This was my first book from this Roald Dahl's collection and I will be reading the rest, very soon! Definately a page turner
Melissa
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of ten short stories about desire, the lengths people go to to fulfil them, and comeuppance. Generally I was quite satisfied with deciding to pick up this book. I will have to review each story individually later.

The one I didn't understand was Claud's Dog (The Ratcatcher). It was shocking and disgusting, but quite out of place as there was no lust in its theme.

1. Madame Rosette
3 RAF pilots "rescue" a posse of prostitues one night from Mdm Ros. As always, Dahl has a very whimsical s
Liz
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of ten short stories bound, albeit to varying degrees, to the theme of lust. They all feel complete, contained- no matter the brevity. Dahl's writing is playful, absurd- often dark and surreal. Thoroughly entertaining, each tale is surprising, some are quite sinister and shocking- all perfectly show his mastery of the twist-in-the tail.

"So all at once, Anna found herself living in a completely empty house. It is an awful feeling, after twenty-three years of boisterous, busy, magic
Soozee
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
These short stories are very typical of Roald Dahl, and they take you to dark places with a few twists. However, they are now feeling very dated (some were written over half a century ago), and are no longer particularly shocking in today's climate. Many do reflect his apparent obsession with bees and mouths!

Overall an entertaining read - they are a series of four : Lust, Madness, Cruelty and Deception. An amusing diversion.
Merryn Turner
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve always been a massive Roald Dahl fan, voraciously reading any book of his that I could get my hands on. And whilst I’d heard a lot about his adult short stories, this is the first time that I’ve ever read any of them myself.

These were written in the same witty style we all know and love, and imbued with the same magic of his children’s stories. His use of language is delightful and he’s a master when it comes to garish characters.

For the most part I enjoyed these. There were some racist un
Mike Steven
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with any collection of short stories, some of these are better than others, but on the whole, it's a thoroughly enjoyable read.

You have to get past the fact that your favourite children's author is writing stories about sex, and you also have to accept the fact that the stories were written a relatively long time ago so do have some outdated attitudes towards women and other things. Despite these things, Dahl's writing is as creative and magical as you would expect and there are a number of f
A Sara
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I love Roald Dahl and have read his stories for adults in the past as I like his macabre approach to the complexities of human existence. He's not afraid to go where other authors don't! But I found it difficult to engage with these stories and they left me frustrated; I was possibly waiting for a neat conclusion, a moral teaching or a 'punchline' only to find it never arrived.
Judith Huang
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-not-owned
After a shaky first story (which really hasn’t aged well - pretty repulsively male chauvinist and imperialist) the rest of this book was a delight. Dahl is a master of the sting in the tail and I especially loved the uncle Oswald stories. I got this out of the library but like it so much I may get myself a copy to keep in my own library ...
Jess Jackson
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed reading these short stories having never read any of Dahls adult fiction before.
There are three others in the series and while I am not rushing out to buy the rest I will pick them up at some point.
Kris
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories by Roald Dahl, mysterious, sexy and dark.
They are performed by an amazing cast of narrators who manage to give each story its own unique atmosphere.
I can't wait to listen to the rest of the series.
Alexandra
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Intense. Shed some light on the stuff I had only vague visions of. I understand humans better now. And ghosts, I understand ghosts too. See, it was that easy.
Nia Nymue
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wrote the following reviews of the short stories two weeks after reading the book, so my impressions are less detailed. Average rating is 3.6, but I enjoyed enough of the stories to bump my rating up to 4. I don't think that a good story that is rooted in Lust must necessarily involve sex, but there has to be at least some sort of primal desire, which is still distinct from other base emotions like greed and anger. Some of these stories don't really have a clear link to Lust. Still there are e ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ei mikään
  • The Pharmacist's Wife
  • Musta vyö
  • A Fringe of Leaves
  • Man Repeller: Seeking Love. Finding Overalls.
  • Reproduction