Start by marking “The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1 (The Girl from the Other Side, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1

(The Girl From the Other Side #1)

Once upon a time...

In a land far away, there were two kingdoms: the Outside, where twisted beasts roamed that could curse with a touch, and the Inside, where humans lived in safety and peace. The girl and the beast should never have met, but when they do, a quiet fairytale begins.

Published January 24th 2017 by Seven Seas (first published March 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Other Side, please sign up.
Dathúil Yes, I wondered this too. Part of the reason I picked this up was because I speak Irish and I was curious. It is the name of a famous Irish folk song.…moreYes, I wondered this too. Part of the reason I picked this up was because I speak Irish and I was curious. It is the name of a famous Irish folk song.
(less)
S There are 3 books so far and will be a 4th in April (UK). I have seen that there are 5 books though.

David Schaafsma
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I don’t have deep background in fantasy manga, but this first volume is huge on mood and atmosphere and likeable for all that. It has a touch of darkness in the art that works to complicate the sweet, innocent feeling of some aspects of the story. A young girl named Shiva lives on the “other side,” in a vacated village with a guardian known only as "Teacher". Teacher is sorta humanoid, and sorta creepy, dark, faintly Edward Gorey and Lovecraft. Teacher protects Shiva, helping her differentiate b ...more
Rebecca McNutt
An artistic, fairy-tale story of understanding and companionship, The Girl from the Other Side is a beautiful graphic novel about darkness and the light, and which side good and bad really reside on.
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haunting, yet also cute, and beautifully drawn!
Ann (Little Bear) Murray
Imagine yourself as a little girl, inviting a well-dressed, polite demon to come to your tea party. Would you be afraid, despite the horned monster being dressed in fancy shoes and a waistcoat? Probably.

Our fearless, young Shiva does not just invite but demands that her protector and caretaker, lovingly deemed “Teacher”, has tea with her everyday. In a town and surrounding forest that has been abandoned, there is often not much else for them to do to pass the time - once their chores are done, o
Jojo
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, manga
This was such a good read, I just didn't want it to end, but since then, I've discovered that this beautiful book, is part of a series. It takes rather a lot of skill to make a story seem so dark, but incredibly cute, at the same time.
I love the characters so far, and the relationship between the little girl and "teacher" is wonderful. Despite the fact teacher has a tall and somewhat slender form, that literally towers over the little girl, she seems to have no fear of him. She demands that they
Calista
This is an interesting story that is just getting interesting. We barely know anything. We know there are humans and inhumans and if a human touches an inhuman, they will become inhuman. This little girl lives with teacher and he raises her. The girls mother died, we think, but the girl thinks she is coming.

The girl goes out searching, this little child and sees some men from a village. They try and kill her because she is an outsider and must be cursed.

We are left with a huge cliff hanger at
Neil R. Coulter
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at the library yesterday on a whim, simply because the cover looked intriguing. I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic first part of a story. What I like about it especially is its slow, meticulous way of revealing information. The book seems to begin in the middle of a story. The author doesn't give quick, easy answers, but instead invites the reader to join the story and follow along. I always like it when a book has confidence in the reader's ability to understand and to share in t ...more
Ana
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
For an eerie fantasy manga that features as protagonists a sweet little girl and a mysterious “Teacher” as her guardian, with loads of cute moments between them, this can get dark and twisty unexpectedly quick!

I love, love, love the art style and the attention to detail that goes even into the smallest of panels. This will be one of my favourite manga series in 2018, that's for sure!
Maija
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga, fantasy, own
A heartwarming manga with dark tones, The Girl from the Other Side tells of the daily life of the little human girl Shiva and her caretaker, the monster/Outsider Teacher. The beautiful scratchy black-and-white artwork compliments the quiet story perfectly and is just lovely to look at.

I was instantly drawn to the two characters and the relationship between them: Teacher cares about her protégé, but can never touch her, or he will spread the Outsider curse and turn the girl into one. Basically, o
Mangrii
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,25 / 5

En este primer volumen de La pequeña forastera: Siúil, a Rún conoceremos a Shiva y el Doctor. La primera es una joven niña humana que espera el regreso de su tía. El segundo, una bestia que pertenece a un mundo oscuro y maldito. Ambos conviven en un páramo del Exterior, donde habitan seres oscuros que pueden maldecirte con solo tocarte. Un primer volumen que nos introduce en el misterioso mundo de fábula que ha construido Nagabe, un joven mangaka con su primera publicación internacional.
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga

The Girl from the Other Side is such a quiet book. The mood on the page is very soft and unhurried with a slight shade or potential for creepiness. But there is still so much I don’t know! So much that I don’t even know what to say here. Color me curious that’s for sure.

This “tranquil fairy tale” tells the story of a sweet friendship between a beast and a lonely little girl (Shiva) in a world of darkness & light, curses, and monsters. Shiva appears to be a village's lone survivor of a curse
 The Black Geek
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The first volume of this interesting tale has themes that are already quite predictable: dark versus light, the cursed vs. innocent, human versus beast. The black, horned beast is the nurturing and patient caregiver yet is feared by the human adults. Shiva, the little girl, does not fear the beast and has readily accepted his role as both teacher and protector. Nagabe's art is reminiscent of the style found in the works of J.J. Grandeville and Kiyoshi Hasegawa.

I will read volume 2 in this series
Liz
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Shiva is adorable, Teacher is lovable... Story and art are brilliant!
Hua Mulanah
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, owned

AHHHHHHHH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME? How can it be so dark and creepy and CUTE at the same time??. Absolutely loved it.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more manga and graphic novel reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A quiet fairy tale begins in a land distant and hazy where there are two kingdoms. The Inside is where humans cower worried the twisted beasts of the Outside will come a curse them with a touch. A young girl named Shiva lives on the other side, in a vacant village with a demonic guardian known only as “Teacher.” And so starts our tale... a little girl comes to rely on an inhuman beast...

I saw this first in an email from
Ozan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are two worlds, the inside, where the humans live and the outside, where monsters called outsiders live, it's belived that outsiders can curse you with just one single touch. In our fairytale for a more mature audiance, there are humans who are in fear and as a result of this, they do monstrous things and there is a monster called teacher who is gentle and nice. There is this stark contrast the humans are monstrous and the monster is very gentle and good. There was an abondened town becaus ...more
Mizuki
The Girl from the Other Side is a sweet, slightly gloomy but engaging fairy tale about a little girl in white (named Shiva) and a humanoid horned black beast (named Teacher) living in a small cottage among the wood, in a world which is divided as Inside and Outside, Cursed and Cursed.

The people from the Inside fear the Cursed Ones (black and beastly humanoid creatures who wander in the woods) from the Outside, so they protect themselves by surrounding their towns with a great wall to keep the Cu
Alexandra
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i randomly came across this book while doing some online book shopping. had never heard of it before, nor do i know what tale it is based off of (because i feel like it's based off something?) but nonetheless, i decided to get it and see what it was all about and thank goodness i bought the first 3 volumes because i would have been SO PISSED to leave off at that cliffhanger and then have to wait a few days to find out what's going to happen

the girl from the other side is about an adorable littl
Elizabeth A
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
"This is a story of two people--one human, one inhuman--who linger in the hazy twilight that separates night from day. "

This manga is wonderfully strange and atmospheric. In this fairy tale like story, there are two kingdoms: "the Outside, where twisted beasts roamed that could curse with a touch, and the Inside, where humans lived in safety and peace."

In this tale we spent time with, and get to know, a young girl called Shiva, and a monster she calls Teacher. The thing to remember (and we often
daisy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a breath of fresh air after getting through a scifi-horror lmao

Lovely art brings the endearing relationship between Teacher, one of the monsters known as 'Outsiders', and Shiva, an adorable little girl, to life. Not a whole lot of information has been revealed at this stage, but it is only the first volume, so I'm very interested to see what happens next!
Devann
This was a pretty good first volume, although I am hoping to get more background on the characters and the world in the future. Still, the art is absolutely gorgeous and I love the 'monster' designs. The whole thing has a very ethereal fairy tale feel to it that I'm really enjoying. Definitely going to be continuing with this.
Ignacio
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historia muy sencilla sobre la otredad y la naturaleza del monstruo construida a partir de la entrañable relación entre sus dos protagonistas. El trabajo gráfico de Nagabe, cómo refuerza la naturaleza luminosa u oscura de los personajes y el escenario con su trazo, las manchas, la claridad y las sombras, qué muestra y qué oculta, es sobresaliente.
Victoria ♡
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-manga
Such an intriguing first volume! The story is pretty unique and the art style is beautiful, can't wait to read more!
Christoph
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„In der Dunkelheit wartet die Hoffnung.“

„Hast Du das verstanden?
Wenn Du einen Fremden triffst, darfst Du ihn auf gar keinen Fall berühren.
Lauf einfach weg.

Warum?

Nun, du ....
... wirst sonst verflucht.“

Die Welt der Sagen und Märchen ist erfüllt von Warnungen und Flüchen, meide den Kontakt zu ... gehe nicht dorthin ... und wenn, dann wird Dich ein Fluch treffen. So auch hier, in dieser Geschichte.

Großmutter warnt die kleine Shiva davor, dass sie keinen Fremden berühren soll, lieber gleich weglaufe
Amparo
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No puedo más que recomendar este manga aunque solo he leído el primer tomo. La elegancia, delicadeza, ternura sin ñoñeria de la historia y el dibujo sin obviar la necesaria presencia ominosa en cualquier cuento de hadas, que sin embargo presente en todo momento, además de la maestría del autor en introducirnos sin más que un breve preámbulo en su mundo para ir descubriéndonos poco a poco su razón de ser... Excelente.
Lin
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark and simply awesome
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
> 4/4.5

Picked this up on a total whim, after hearing about it online a few days ago and buying the first instalment. Simple but lovely worldbuilding and haunting character designs and graphics make this a really fascinating spin on the monster in the woods tale.
Sarah Baker
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was worried this would be like Ancient Magus Bride. I’m glad to see it was not, at all. There *is* a tall, dark, skull-headed, horned thing that isn't revealing more of its nature than it must. There *is* an innocent child that it is protecting. But the similarities end there.
Teacher and Shiva have a very simple life with one rule - no touching. Shiva appears to be somewhere between 3 and 6, and she was dumped on Teacher's doorstep, accused of being cursed and sentenced to die. Teacher (he? it
Etienne
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good!!! Dark, intriguing, a character that is so lovable! The drawing style is simple, all black and white obviously, but beautiful, even kind of romantic/gothic in a way. I'm not a big manga reader but this one definitely caught my attention and I'm glad I've read it. Just bought vol. 2-3-4 online. Really great!
stefiereads
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good So good So good!!!!!
This manga becomes my favourite! I really love the story and I need the book two ♥
ABQ Graphic Novel...: September 2018 - The Girl From the Other Side 2 3 Sep 10, 2018 02:24PM
Shounen Manga Boo...: The Girl from the Other Side 10 20 Nov 26, 2017 02:26AM
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 2
  • Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, Volume #1)
  • 乙嫁語り 8 (Otoyomegatari, #8)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Flying Witch, Vol. 1
  • Planetes Omnibus, Volume 2
  • ゴールデンカムイ 2
  • Wandering Island
  • To Your Eternity, tome 1 (To Your Eternity, #1)
  • X (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
  • Sunny, Vol. 2
  • Beast
See also ながべ.

The Girl From the Other Side (7 books)
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 2 (The Girl from the Other Side, #2)
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 3 (The Girl from the Other Side, #3)
  • とつくにの少女 4 [Totsukuni no Shoujo 4] (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, #4)
  • とつくにの少女 5 [Totsukuni no Shoujo 5] (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, #5)
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no Shoujo 6] (The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, #6)
  • The Girl From The Other Side: Siúil A Rún Vol. 7