Start by marking “The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1

The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1

(とつくにの少女 / Totsukuni no shōjo #1)

Once upon a time...

This is a story of two people--one human, one inhuman--who linger in the hazy twilight that s
Published January 24th 2017 by Seven Seas (first published March 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Other Side, please sign up.
Dathúil Yes, I wondered this too. Part of the reason I picked this up was because I speak Irish and I was curious. It is the name of a famous Irish folk song.…moreYes, I wondered this too. Part of the reason I picked this up was because I speak Irish and I was curious. It is the name of a famous Irish folk song.
(less)
S There are 3 books so far and will be a 4th in April (UK). I have seen that there are 5 books though.
The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 by Kore YamazakiMy Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Kabi NagataOrange by Ichigo TakanoThe Girl from the Other Side by NagabeHana & Hina After School Vol. 1 by Milk Morinaga
Seven Seas Books
68 books — 17 voters
Area X by Jeff VanderMeerUzumaki by Junji ItoRoadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky1984 by George OrwellThe Gunslinger by Stephen King
Dreamscapes
77 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1
Whitney Atkinson
4.75 ish stars??

this book was such an interesting journey. from the world building to the characters to the drawing style, everything was executed immaculately. i think the story was equal parts grotesque yet lighthearted and sweet, which made it addicting to read. it definitely kept my attention enough to read in one sitting, and i intend to delve into the next volume immediately then request the rest from my library!
David Schaafsma
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I don’t have deep background in fantasy manga, but this first volume is huge on mood and atmosphere and likeable for all that. It has a touch of darkness in the art that works to complicate the sweet, innocent feeling of some aspects of the story. A young girl named Shiva lives on the “other side,” in a vacated village with a guardian known only as "Teacher". Teacher is sorta humanoid, and sorta creepy, dark, faintly Edward Gorey and Lovecraft. Teacher protects Shiva, helping her differentiate b ...more
Tina Haigler
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, young-adult
This was really good. I believe it's based on a fairy tale, but it was one I wasn't familiar with, so I was intrigued. The mythology was interesting, and I was invested in the characters (at least the two important ones) from the first page. I especially loved the internal struggle of the character that should've been a villain, but managed to hold on to his humanity by caring for this little girl. I instantly loved him after seeing his devotion to her. She is sweet and naïve, and fully trusting ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An artistic, fairy-tale story of understanding and companionship, The Girl from the Other Side is a beautiful graphic novel about darkness and the light, and which side good and bad really reside on.
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haunting, yet also cute, and beautifully drawn!
Ann (Inky)
Imagine yourself as a little girl, inviting a well-dressed, polite demon to come to your tea party. Would you be afraid, despite the horned monster being dressed in fancy shoes and a waistcoat? Probably.

Our fearless, young Shiva does not just invite but demands that her protector and caretaker, lovingly deemed “Teacher”, has tea with her everyday. In a town and surrounding forest that has been abandoned, there is often not much else for them to do to pass the time - once their chores are done, o
~The Bookish Redhead~
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, manga
This was such a good read, I just didn't want it to end, but since then, I've discovered that this beautiful book, is part of a series. It takes rather a lot of skill to make a story seem so dark, but incredibly cute, at the same time.
I love the characters so far, and the relationship between the little girl and "teacher" is wonderful. Despite the fact teacher has a tall and somewhat slender form, that literally towers over the little girl, she seems to have no fear of him. She demands that they
Kerri
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading manga, and I was very pleased with it! It only took a few minutes to adjust to reading right to left*. I was drawn to this particular one by the intriguing cover, which is a bit spooky but also quite warm and inviting.
The story was strange and beautiful, with some lovely artwork. I was quite sad to finish it, especially knowing I will have a bit of a wait before I can order the next volumes. It ends on a rather tense moment, and I so wanted to go straight onto th
Calista
This is an interesting story that is just getting interesting. We barely know anything. We know there are humans and inhumans and if a human touches an inhuman, they will become inhuman. This little girl lives with teacher and he raises her. The girls mother died, we think, but the girl thinks she is coming.

The girl goes out searching, this little child and sees some men from a village. They try and kill her because she is an outsider and must be cursed.

We are left with a huge cliff hanger at
Patricija - aparecium_libri
This is by so far, one of my favorite mangas. It was gripping, the characters interesting, and it wasn't overwhelming.
I loved the plot, and how strong it was, created in this simplistic design with black and white.

Recommend.
Neil R. Coulter
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at the library yesterday on a whim, simply because the cover looked intriguing. I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic first part of a story. What I like about it especially is its slow, meticulous way of revealing information. The book seems to begin in the middle of a story. The author doesn't give quick, easy answers, but instead invites the reader to join the story and follow along. I always like it when a book has confidence in the reader's ability to understand and to share in t ...more
The Nerd Daily
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Ankara C

Published by Seven Seas Entertainment, The Girl from the Other Side – Siúl a Rún by Nagabe is an ongoing series whose first volume was originally published back in 2015. However, it did not hit the international market until late 2017, when its popularity skyrocketed worldwide. At the moment, it has not been determined yet when the series will come to an end, but it is still going strong with its 7th volume translated into English, and t
 The Black Geek
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The first volume of this interesting tale has themes that are already quite predictable: dark versus light, the cursed vs. innocent, human versus beast. The black, horned beast is the nurturing and patient caregiver yet is feared by the human adults. Shiva, the little girl, does not fear the beast and has readily accepted his role as both teacher and protector. Nagabe's art is reminiscent of the style found in the works of J.J. Grandeville and Kiyoshi Hasegawa.

I will read volume 2 in this series
Maija
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy, comics-manga
A heartwarming manga with dark tones, The Girl from the Other Side tells of the daily life of the little human girl Shiva and her caretaker, the monster/Outsider Teacher. The beautiful scratchy black-and-white artwork compliments the quiet story perfectly and is just lovely to look at.

I was instantly drawn to the two characters and the relationship between them: Teacher cares about her protégé, but can never touch her, or he will spread the Outsider curse and turn the girl into one. Basically, o
Ana
For an eerie fantasy manga that features as protagonists a sweet little girl and a mysterious “Teacher” as her guardian, with loads of cute moments between them, this can get dark and twisty unexpectedly quick!

I love, love, love the art style and the attention to detail that goes even into the smallest of panels. This will be one of my favourite manga series in 2018, that's for sure!
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga

The Girl from the Other Side is such a quiet book. The mood on the page is very soft and unhurried with a slight shade or potential for creepiness. But there is still so much I don’t know! So much that I don’t even know what to say here. Color me curious that’s for sure.

This “tranquil fairy tale” tells the story of a sweet friendship between a beast and a lonely little girl (Shiva) in a world of darkness & light, curses, and monsters. Shiva appears to be a village's lone survivor of a curse and
Justine
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A super speedy, but absolutely wonderful read! This is the perfect balance of dark and light that makes for the best kind of monstrous fairytale. I can't wait to read more!
Shannon
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2020
First time reading this I only gave it a 3, second time around I found it more charming somehow.
Liz
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Shiva is adorable, Teacher is lovable... Story and art are brilliant!
Mizuki
The Girl from the Other Side is a sweet, slightly gloomy but engaging fairy tale about a little girl in white (named Shiva) and a humanoid horned black beast (named Teacher) living in a small cottage among the wood, in a world which is divided as Inside and Outside, Cursed and Uncursed.

The people from the Inside fear the Cursed Ones (black and beastly humanoid creatures who wander in the woods) from the Outside, so they protect themselves by surrounding their towns with a great wall to keep the
Lauren Lanzilotta
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, manga
This was a beautifully simplistic dark fairy-tale surrounding a little girl who befriends a demon. A particularly well dressed, good mannered demon.

“In a land far away, there were two kingdoms: the Outside, where twisted beasts roamed that could curse with a touch, and the Inside, where humans lived in safety and peace. The girl and the beast should never have met, but when they do, a quiet fairytale begins.

Hua Mulanah
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, owned

AHHHHHHHH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME? How can it be so dark and creepy and CUTE at the same time??. Absolutely loved it.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more manga and graphic novel reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A quiet fairy tale begins in a land distant and hazy where there are two kingdoms. The Inside is where humans cower worried the twisted beasts of the Outside will come a curse them with a touch. A young girl named Shiva lives on the other side, in a vacant village with a demonic guardian known only as “Teacher.” And so starts our tale... a little girl comes to rely on an inhuman beast...

I saw this first in an email from
Ozan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are two worlds, the inside, where the humans live and the outside, where monsters called outsiders live, it's belived that outsiders can curse you with just one single touch. In our fairytale for a more mature audiance, there are humans who are in fear and as a result of this, they do monstrous things and there is a monster called teacher who is gentle and nice. There is this stark contrast the humans are monstrous and the monster is very gentle and good. There was an abondened town becaus ...more
julia ♥
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Very pretty... and very weird.
Bogi Takács
The first impulse borrow from the manga shelves of my library in a while where I want to read more volumes after the first. So you'll probably see more from me about this series soon. (I really like manga, but I feel like what is popular enough in the US to get acquired by a general public library is not necessarily what I want to read. In Austria I found it easier to find reading.)

This is a slow, melancholy story about a deserted town overtaken by some kind of infection where people turn into l
Devann
This was a pretty good first volume, although I am hoping to get more background on the characters and the world in the future. Still, the art is absolutely gorgeous and I love the 'monster' designs. The whole thing has a very ethereal fairy tale feel to it that I'm really enjoying. Definitely going to be continuing with this.
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
A++ for the lovely and simplistic art style. And extra points for the relaxing story. This is exactly what I look for when I feel like reading a graphic novel.
Victoria ♡
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-manga
Such an intriguing first volume! The story is pretty unique and the art style is beautiful, can't wait to read more!
Melissa Chung
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I’ve been wanting to read this manga for awhile. Unfortunately it was just okay. It about a light god and and dark god. The dark god was mad at the light god and created a curse. If a cursed human touches another the curse is spread. You become a monster. The people that are not cursed live inside a closed city. If the soldiers think you may be cursed but have not turned yet, they will kill you just in case.

This manga follows a little girl being taken care of by a cursed monster on the outside
Shounen Manga Boo...: The Girl from the Other Side 11 29 Nov 02, 2019 05:34AM
ABQ Graphic Novel...: September 2018 - The Girl From the Other Side 5 11 Apr 18, 2019 04:44PM

• The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 2 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #2)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • To Your Eternity, tome 1 (To Your Eternity, #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 2 特装版 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 2 Limited Edition]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari bōshi no Atelier 3]
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • Beastars, Vol. 1
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 1 [Shimanami Tasogare 1]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 (A Silent Voice, #1)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 3 [Mahou Tsukai No Yome 3] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #3)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 6