Start by marking “Walkaway” as Want to Read:
Walkaway

Walkaway

Cory Doctorow’s first adult novel in eight years: an epic tale of revolution, love, post-scarcity, and the end of death.

Hubert Vernon Rudolph Clayton Irving Wilson Alva Anton Jeff Harley Timothy Curtis Cleveland Cecil Ollie Edmund Eli Wiley Marvin Ellis Espinoza—known to his friends as Hubert, Etc—was too old to be at that Communist party.

But after watching the breakdown
Published April 25th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Walkaway, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chris PhD
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Walkaway
Bradley
Wow!

I admit I went in blind to this only know the title, the cover, and the fact that I've been a big fan of Cory Doctorow ever since Little Brother. I thought it was going to be something of a thriller with perhaps a political and especially an awesome technological bent to it.

I didn't expect it to be this huge! The ideas in this novel can easily be ranked up with the very biggest novels of the last century.

Let me explain: Walkaway as a term is nothing more than dropping out of the ranks of
Tedb0t
Did not finish. I hate not finishing books, but I just couldn't go on. 25% in and no story. Vague characters with no goals.

What you DO get is a speculative techno-utopia in which it's just assumed you can obtain the raw materials to manufacture arbitrarily complex technology such as 3D printers, "wet printers", lasers, ATVs and exoskeletal suits, and mountains of computers. Rare earth metals, anyone? Maybe if he'd just invoked nanotech, I might have been like, "OK, fine, whatever."

But the straw
Loring Wirbel
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was 12 or 13, I stumbled upon anarcho-syndicalism of the Bookchin/Rocker variety and was convinced it was solely capable of saving the world. At age 16, I saw Kubrick's film adaptation of A Clockwork Orange and found myself adamantly rooting for the omnipotent state, since it appeared to be morally superior to the violent autonomous gang member Alex. If Cory Doctorow's unique novel Walkaway serves no other purpose, it can be an antidote or foil of sorts for Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork ...more
The Angry Lawn Gnome
tl;dr - This was painful to read, the literary equivalent of shuffling through knee deep wet concrete. I kept expecting it to get better, it didn't.

So, (he asked rhetorically), can William Gibson, Kim Stanley Robinson and Neal Stephenson all be wrong? Based upon the blurbs for this book, yup, yup, yup. Either that or they all read the super secret version that has not yet been released unto the eyes of the profane, since I honestly see no way they read this turkey.

Characters randomly popped in
Nikki Whipple
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cool ideas but I got bogged down with the preachy dialogue.
Karl
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with WALKAWAY. There was some great 'world building' but I did not connect with the characters or their motivations. I liked the original premise but I found the story to be disjointed and the pacing confused me in a couple places.
Fiona
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Second read. Still just as hard to review and read, and still just as hard hitting as it was the first time around - this is an amazing book.

This is a really hard book to review, but on the other hand - I loved it.

It's not an easy book to read; I'm a reader who'll make her way through the average novel in half a day, and this took me a solid week. It's not a book you can skim or speed read through - every so often, in the middle of an escape or situating into a new moment, a character will begin
Jeremy S
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Sigh. The first Doctorow book I wanted to walkaway from.

I love Doctorow. I fell in love with Makers and never looked back. So, after Pirate Cinema, I was waiting for something new, and this book read in the byline like a new Makers. I was elated. Sadly, it was not.

The problem with this book was that it was just so sure of itself the whole time. The future was bleak, and rightfully so, but nothing felt tangible. The people were always spewing pages long rabble like a conversation between
Lena
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lena by: Solarpunk
F73CDA1B-994E-417D-89F4-56CC1339BCFD.jpg
“We’re not doing nations anymore. We’re doing people, doing stuff. Nations mean governments, passports, borders.”

Kim Stanley Robinson meets Ursula K. LeGuin with vibrant page turning characters. Not a call to arms but a call to think - a new classic.

Everyone should read Walkaway.

Connor
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
My Video Review:

There are some things I loved. There is tons of diversity with pan, bi, lesbian characters as well as POC characters. I liked the science and ideas of a possible future, but there were a fair amount of things I didn't.
Cynthia Shannon
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually found this book a lot more enjoyable than expected, given that I'm not much of a sci-fi reader nor have I ever been to Burning Man (and have absolutely no intention to do so).
Johannes Kleske
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
So Walkaway is Cory Doctorow’s first adult novel since Makers, which came out eight years ago and has been hugely influential as a future scenario in some circles like the fab lab communities. I picked up Walkaway with high expectations to learn how Doctorow’s perspective on a possible future has evolved over the last years. I also always had tremendous respect for his non-fiction work and activism for privacy, copyright law, and open source.
That leads me to my first huge problem with Walkaway:
Root_rambler
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just WALK AWAY from this one. I got annoyed at it 1/3 of the way through and wrote an impassioned review, but decided I should wait to post until I finished the book. It did not improve, and I skimmed the remainder, getting more and more annoyed at Doctorow's flat and unsympathetic characters, habit of telling instead of showing, gratuitous sex, and lack of coherent plot/subject. If drastically edited (1/3 of its length?) with a coherent theme, this book could have been good. The worst sentence ...more
Roy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just didnt connect with this one. Alot of conversations/ideas on I'm guessing the authors views on philosophy etc. Just wasnt for me
Caitlin Cramer
This is not a “meh” 3.5 out of 5 stars. I was actually very engaged throughout this story and I can definitely see why Edward Snowden is a fan. It’s a mixed bag review. There’s some really great stuff in this book mixed with things that are distracting and don’t make sense.

Let’s start with what this book does well. The walkaway culture is probably the most workable and realistic alternative to capitalism I’ve read in the sci-fi genre in a long time. Unlike Ursula Le Guin’s rigidly controlled
Peter
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, it starts off with promise, but kinda fizzles in the middle and finishes up in a disjointed way. Just kinda felt unfinished. On top of that much felt like artificially-forced political correctness - like it was trying too much to show a specifically idealized future.

I think it would have been better if Doctorow hadn't tried so hard to make the ending something resembling 'happy'. It just didn't fit the rest of the book.

Overall not bad, but not great.
Lisa Wright
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is speculative fiction at its best--extrapolating our future from our present. At a time when the top 1% has narrowed to be the top 0.001% and technology has replaced nearly all workers, the surplus people walkaway to join others in the abandoned places who choose to live a different way. It is a choice that may cost them their lives.Doctorow is always hopeful, but never naive.
David Agranoff
his book will divide readers for sure, and hell it gave me very mixed feelings. Well I have enjoyed interviews with Doctorow and his many blog posts I decided to read this because I just had not read any of his work before. I mean this book has blurbs from William Gibson, Kim Stanley Robinson (who called it a utopia- huh?) and Edward Snowden. Yeah that edward Snowden on a side note that is a heck of a blurb.

Walkaway is a near future speculative fiction novel that looks at the economical and
Belinda Lewis
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first this book made me feel hopeful, in the same kind of way that Daemon did. Like it was possible we could be living in, as Corey Doctorow would put it, the first days of a better nation .

Then it got really dark and it made me sad.

Its a series of vignettes, snap shots into the lives of a group of characters taken at different times and from different points of view. One of these 'books' seemed pointless and unsatisfying to me, two of them I read twice in a row.

I feel like that format worked
Richard
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some really interesting themes in this book about the trajectory of the growing wealth gap, as well as the prospect of the 3d printing of basic needs (food/clothing/shelter) creating an environment of 'abundance' for those willing to 'walk away' from material wealth and privilege. But, there were a number of really clunky and distracting sex scenes. Not hot at all... I found myself skimming though them to get back to the story.

Definitely a strong Burning Man influence on Cory
Justine
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at 30%

I can't. I just can't.

I looked at the reviews and I wanted very much to like this book. I didn't want to be another person giving it a shit review. But I really didn't enjoy it. It was disjointed, pretentious and confusing. I see no point continuing, I have plenty of other books I'm looking forward to.

I just had a thought, am I too stupid to understand this book? Do I just not "get" it?
Ric
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Okay friends, if you like negative reviews then strap in because there aren’t many positive things I can say about this book. Walkaway was my first Doctorow book, and I don’t like to judge authors on just one book, but this wasn’t a good start for me. I like to start off reviews for books that I didn’t like with a positive from the book, but I really can’t think of one so here come the problems. But just as a warmup, an actual phrase from this novel to describe a character is “cute as a cute ...more
Akiva
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Our post scarcity societies will not just look like Burning Man, but more boring and with 3D printers. We will not all speak in the tin-earned jargon of a breathless wired article. Our villains will not just be the mega-rich, or the woefully misguided, but the difficult parts of ourselves.

This book takes a lot from Burning Man and the ideas that inform it, but it misses the actual majesty of the burn: the glorious city rising out of stark nothing, the bustling and bubbling weirdness, the
Shari
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book sadly came off preachy and awkward, and seemed to be a bit of a manifesto cloaked as a novel. A pass for me. I'm not one for sex scenes in books anyway, but the ones in this novel seemed unnecessary, didn't add to the story, and were written completely awkward and cringy as hell. This may be my last Doctorow, although I've enjoyed some of his books in the past.

The plot was about the whole "post-scarcity economy" and what would happen in the future if we could 3D print all the things
Charles Dee Mitchell
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary-sf
I recommend Doctorow’s novel for readers suffering from Post Apocalyptic Fatigue Sydrome. The one hard date mentioned in the text is 2071, and Doctorow’s near future embodies most of the worst possibilities of the way things are going now. The super rich, known as zottas, run a show that continues to exploit earth’s dwindling resources and leaves the teeming masses scrambling to make do in increasingly dire circumstances. Which they do, unless they decide to “walkaway” and join the increasing ...more
Christine
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: englanniksi, kauno
It took me ages to finish this book mostly because it had so much of everything, it started feeling too heavy and it sank like the brick it looks like (I really liked the bright shock-orange of the cover, though).

This book has too much of everything, too many plot twists, too many characters, too many ideas, too much infodump, and way too many details (for example spending a page describing how difficult it was to put on snowshoes instead of just saying: they struggled to put the snowshoes on).
Jim
Apr 29, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Not grabbing me at all. Maybe it's my mood. I'll try another day. April 2019.
Bryan Alexander
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review, discussion, and feedback from fellow book club readers here.
Kate
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Future dreamers, cyberpunks, ecowarriors
Wow. This was absolutely excellent. Doctorow is a writer in his prime now, this is definitely the best book of his so far.

There is so much to consider and think about. Everything from climate change damaged environments, 3-d printing, mega-rich corporations and getting your personality uploaded to the cloud.

Set at least 100 years in the future, Doctorow's North America is fragmented, and damaged and split between "default" where life goes on in the usual capitalist way with the mega rich
Peter Tillman
Progress: Chapter 1. "Communist Party" -- young Hubert etc. meets Natalie, even younger & Seriously Rich, with an Asshole Dad. Attraction blooms. They discuss Walkway. Is a rich girl really going to be interested in going Homeless?

This is Doctorow's's first Adult Novel in awhile. I haven't much liked the YA stuff I've tried, but I saw him with Scalzi at the LA book fair, and was reminded of just how many ideas that boy can spout! And the first-chapter trial was pretty good. With the Huge

• The Necessary Beggar
  • Autonomous
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
  • New York 2140
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
  • In Our Own Worlds: Four LGBTQ+ Tor.com Novellas
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Red Moon
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)
  • Head On (Lock In, #2)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • Space Opera
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
Cory Doctorow is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger — the co-editor of Boing Boing and the author of the YA graphic novel In Real Life, the nonfiction business book Information Doesn’t Want To Be Free, and young adult novels like Homeland, Pirate Cinema, and Little Brother and novels for adults like Rapture Of The Nerds and Makers. He is a Fellow for the ...more
“That’s why you never hear politicians talking about ‘citizens,’ it’s all ‘taxpayers,’ as though the salient fact of your relationship to the state is how much you pay. Like the state was a business and citizenship was a loyalty program that rewarded you for your custom with roads and health care. Zottas cooked the process so they get all the money and own the political process, pay as much or as little tax as they want. Sure, they pay most of the tax, because they’ve built a set of rules that gives them most of the money. Talking about ‘taxpayers’ means that the state’s debt is to rich dudes, and anything it gives to kids or old people or sick people or disabled people is charity we should be grateful for, since none of those people are paying tax that justifies their rewards from Government Inc.” 8 likes
“The best way to be superhuman is to do things that you love with other people who love them, too. The only way to do that is to admit you’re doing it because you love it and if you do more than everyone, you’re still only doing that because that’s what you choose.” 7 likes