Start by marking “The Forgotten Sister (Tales of Camelot, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Sister (Tales of Camelot, #1)

The Forgotten Sister (Tales of Camelot, #1)

The Princess Elaine promises the dying Uther Pendragon that she will support the ascension of her half-brother Arthur to the throne. Believing in his vision for a glorious Britain, Elaine is soon swept up in the intrigues of Camelot and caught firmly between her warring siblings - the High King Arthur, the vengeful Morgan LeFay and the devious Morgause.

She is a queen, a wa
Paperback, 1, 426 pages
Published May 30th 2016 by CreateSpace (first published May 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Sister

Start your review of The Forgotten Sister (Tales of Camelot, #1)
Beth
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
Rating: 4

Thoughts: A quick read that introduces another character into the legend of Camelot. It's not too heavy and it gives a quick run down on the different myths and stories of King Arthur and the rest of characters of Camelot. Sometimes, it can be a little too much of an over view and not going into enough details of some areas that I wished Higgins had played around with, but it's still pretty damn good.
Savvy Reads
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far the best Arthurian retelling I have read. This book kept all the melodrama of the original tale without making the story into a soap opera. The only thing I didn't like about the book was that it ended! ...more
Katerina
Al di là dei punti salienti della trama, c'è una cosa che accomuna tutti i retelling arturiani: Elaine viene sempre cancellata, al punto che la maggior parte della gente a questa frase mi dirà "Aspetta, quale Elaine? Elaine di Corbenic? Elaine di Shalott/Astolat?"
Sto parlando di Elaine di Tintagel, ossia la terza sorella di Artù.
Ebbene sì: Igraine e Gorlois avevano tre figlie, non due. Solo che Elaine, nel mito, è una persona normale: sposa un re, viene rapita giusto una volta, di base è abbasta
SweetReads
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-best
She is a queen, a warrior and a witch. Yet none of these things may save her brother from those who plot against him, or the poison at the very
whatcaityreads
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author took the Arthurian legend and wrote it in a new and fresh light. The era is explored and delves into its complex situations in a realistic approach. Elaine and her relationship with certain characters are done with meaning and the interactions were my favourite parts in the story. I enjoyed seeing the different take on magic, I liked how the author lets you figure out what’s really happening as it has a realistic take to it but with so much mystery intertwined. The character arc with ...more
CK
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! told through the eyes of Elaine, be sure to read the "companion" "The Forbidden Sister" mostly the same tale from a different perspective... the characters are "drawn" very well, reader gets pulled into the story... so much so that I cried at the end! thank you Kieran! ...more
Maureen D.  Hunter
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick engaging read

The Arthurian legend from a new point of view. I enjoyed this retelling, but have decided to not read book 2.
Arthurianmaiden
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The novel narrates the life of Elaine of Tintagel, Arthur's third and often forgotten sister. Not a lot is known of her and the author interwines her life (the little is known, like her husband and son) with Camelot's happenings, letting her be close to Arthur and Camelot to be able to write about the kingdom as well.
First things first, I loved this novel and I have to say that I was immensely glad to see an Elaine who was not stealing plots from Morgana or Morgause, or who wasn't AT ALL a copy
Heidi J. Rosofsky
Classic Arthurian Tale

Higgins tells a classic tale Arthurian tale from the point of view of a sibling he has interjected into the legend. He uses Elaine, the "forgotten sister" as a means to tell the story in first person, uses his protagonist to cover jumps in time, and winds up with a tale that ultimately feels like third party narrative. Fans of Arthurian stories will probably be interested in how Higgins frames the tale but may ultimately be disappointed in how he jumps over sections of the
Ruth
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glimpse into Camelot from a totally different perspective.
Sinika
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I wanted to love but I only liked this.

I fully admit that this is my fault but I've started putting together my own conception of Elaine and it didn't match up with this Elaine. I recognize that that's not a fair onus to put on the book or the author but I did want to mention it here so people can take my review with the necessary grain of salt.

There were quite a number of typos unfortunately. That is obviously a hazard of self-publishing and I didn't want to hold it against the story but there
Rachel
I would give this four stars normally, but my reading experienced was hampered by many typos I found throughout the book. Maybe it was because I got the kindle edition? I took a cursory look at other reviews and didn’t see it mentioned. It wasn’t extremely bothersome, but I do think another run through with an editor or beta reader would have been helpful.

As for the story itself, I found it pretty derivative of Mists of Avalon. As a feminist Arthurian story, it’s hard not to be, but so many of
M.L.
Apr 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent Arthurian novel. Similar to The Mists of Avalon, this version of the Arthurian legends feels much more modern, with a strong protagonist and in-depth characters. Multi-layered, this novel also explores gender inequality and misogyny in a confronting yet effective way. Personally, I really enjoyed reading the rise of King Arthur through his forgotten sister, Elaine’s, perspective, and am already well into the next book in the series, which is surprisingly fresh for a novel co ...more
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wish I had liked this book better. I love Arthurian legends, and the idea of tackling the stories from a fresh perspective was intriguing.

But honestly? I was pretty bored. There was WAY too much telling and hardly any showing, the pacing felt labored, it was in serious need of editing, and the prose was just incredibly bland. This could have been such a rich story, beautifully told, but it lacked far too much.

The story itself is still good, but the telling of it left me underwhelmed.
kim kime
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Camelot, again?

So many of the classic tales with just a twist to make one want to read more...maybe a different ending is possible for Camelot. I still hate Modred, but Arthur wasn't as likeable.
I gave 4 stars because I missed the normal stories, those twists just bothered me enough.
C. Blackwood
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable novel showing Camelot and the legend of King Arthur from a different perspective. Elaine is a compelling protagonist and it is interesting to see her take on the Arthurian events.
Clarita Ann
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating!

A remembrance of "The Mist of Avalon" by Marion Zimmerman Bradley. I met Mrs Zimmerman Bradley, a workshop with her book as topic, and became a believer.
Amy Broussard
Brilliant!!

This was a wonderfully written story of king Arthur. The character's and story keep you wanting more. This is a must read!!
Gillian Edwards
Nov 30, 2017
Brenda Feinen
Oct 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Highland Raven (Celtic Blood #1)
  • Top Girls
  • The Cartographer Tries to Map a Way to Zion
  • Highland Blood (Celtic Blood #2)
  • A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow
  • A Game of Fate (Hades Saga, #1)
  • The Stolen Crown (The Stolen Crown Trilogy, #3)
  • The Northern Queen
  • Ruins
  • Julius and Macy: A Very Brave Night
  • Elizabeth: Path to the Throne
  • The Importance of Pawns: Chronicles of the House of Valois
  • Heart of Stone (Highland Talents)
  • The Column of Burning Spices (Hildegard of Bingen, #2)
  • Cinders & Sparrows
  • My Basmati Bat Mitzvah
  • Beguiled (Betwixt & Between #3)
  • Secret Keeper
Kieran is a Belfast-born author. He wrote his first novel at age 5 - he also received his first rejection letter at this age. He has been writing ever since and has produced his debut novel The Forgotten Sister, an Arthurian retelling, in 2016. This was continued with two more additions to the Tales of Camelot series, as well as Mists Over Newbroke, a chilling gothic horror novella.

Inspired by the