Start by marking “Underwater” as Want to Read:
Underwater

Underwater

In order to move on after a traumatic experience, Morgan must learn to forgive - first someone who did something that might be unforgivable, and then herself.

But Morgan can't move on. She can't even move beyond the front door of the apartment she shares with her mother and little brother. Morgan feels like she's underwater, unable to surface. Unable to see her friends. Una
Published February 2nd 2016 by Macmillan Australia (first published January 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Underwater, please sign up.
Hallie Doane i totally agree. i couldn't get my face out of the book. I finished reading it yesterday and i smiled ear to ear during the end. I'm a little upset…morei totally agree. i couldn't get my face out of the book. I finished reading it yesterday and i smiled ear to ear during the end. I'm a little upset with how it ended and really hope to see a carry on or something more to the story. this book was right up my ally though because it was a mixture of drama, mystery and romance and they all fit together perfectly. There wasn't a single moment i was disappointed with the book. (:(less)

Brooks Benjamin
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I talk about voice a lot. I tell students and aspiring writers that making theirs unique and personal to them is absolutely essential. I tell myself that I have to keep pushing to improve the one I've already developed in my own stories.

Because voice...it's the blanket we build that the reader wraps themselves in while they read our work.

The voice can be warm and fuzzy.

It can be heavy and soft.

It can be prickly and slightly itchy.

It can be a million different sensations.

One thing I've never eve
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

On October 15th Morgan’s life changed forever. What she thought was a random act of kindness ended up being anything but and Morgan can’t live with the aftermath . . .

“Why can’t I be happy to be alive instead of afraid of living.”

Now Morgan lives behind the walls of her family’s apartment - never stepping even one foot outside . . .

“Nothing will ever hurt me if I don’t cross the threshold.”

Some days Morgan doesn’t even feel safe
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

'It turned out I wasn't dying on the outside. I was only dying on the inside, where nobody could see.'

description
Wow. Underwater stunned me! This is the first 2016 book that I read for this year and boy what a good choice! This debut novel deserves to be in your to read list people, but don't make it stay there for too long. In fact, after reading my review, I highly suggest that you pick this book up immediately and get to reading.

Morgan doesn't go outside anymore. She study online, she meets with her
Aj the Ravenous Reader

It makes me sad to have to say this but nowadays, a book with a major character dealing with the aftermaths of a high school shooting is a very necessary read and Underwater is that exact book. I wish our society didn’t need this. Parents shouldn’t have to fear for their children every time they went to school but every day, they worry and it breaks my heart to think of how we have to live this way. I know the root cause hasn’t been addressed yet especially in the U.S and I’m not sure if it ever
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

1. Breathe
2. You are okay.
3. You are not dying.

photo giphy 58_zps7aezgxic.gif

Probably my newest and most shocking addiction, book genre wise, is realistic fiction. It might be a surprise to some people who don’t know how neurotic I am (cough, everyone knows, cough) that there was a time before GR (B.GR.) I didn’t like books that made me feel too heavy or weighed down. I still, admittedly, don’t like to feel depressed while reading because it is supposed to be an escape, but my views have changed almost completely-Readin
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley.)

“I wish you thought about me more than a little,” he says. “I think about you more than a little.”

This was an interesting story about a girl dealing with PTSD after an event at her high school.

I felt quite sorry for Morgan in this story, as what had happened wasn’t her fault, but she felt guilty anyway for what she felt was her part in the incident. It seemed quite obvio
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you to Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me a copy of this book!
I loved this book because I could relate so much to the main character, not the traumatic experience, but the anxiety and agoraphobia that she developed. So many things had me nodding my head in agreement. I loved the cute little romance that happened throughout and how supportive they both were and they were just so good for each other BUT he was only really supportive and good for her towards the end. It took him a while t
Milka
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, this is one of those books that's really hard to review for two reasons. One, I did not want to give away any of the mystery of the book and thus spoil it for someone. Two, I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING LOVED IT AND WRITING REVIEWS FOR BOOKS THAT I JUST WANT TO SHOUT LOVING THINGS ABOUT IT DIFFICULT.

I want to start by suggesting that you ADD THIS TO YOUR GOODREADS RIGHT NOW, PREORDER IT AND THEN START TO COUNT DAYS FOR JANUARY 12TH BECAUSE WITH THIS BOOK, YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT.

I had heard goo
S.M. Parker
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get my hands on this stunning debut and I cannot say enough about the power of this novel. The MC deals with anxiety and PTSD and this trauma-induced illness forces her to shut herself inside a small California apartment. But there is nothing gloomy about this novel. Morgan, our heroic MC, has so much depth and competence throughout her story and remains connected to the deepest love for her little brother and mother. The little brother, incidentally, jumps off the page wit ...more
Janet
LYRICAL, SPARE, AND RICH, all at the same time.
Debut author Marisa Reichardt has written a beautiful, honest, heart-ripping novel.
It's been a long time since I a book pulled me back into what it truly feels like to be sixteen. This novel did that.

It would've been easy for an author to allow Morgan--the main character--to wander into pathetic territory, after what all she's been through. But with Reichardt's deft handling, watching Morgan brave it out as she overcomes obstacles and finds her way
Marci Curtis
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I AM SO BLOWN AWAY.

I don't even know where to start....

Okay, this. THIS: read this book. It's so beautifully written and so relevant and so important right now.

JUST READ IT, M'KAY??!
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
3.5
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight

Is it weird that I connected to Morgan first as a swimmer? I mean, I was hooked from that point on, because swimming. Not that it was what the book was about, but apparently I feel camaraderie with all swimmers, even fictional ones. And then you add in the (what I assume would be classified as) agoraphobia she's suffering from due to trauma, and yeah, sold.

There are two things about this book that I loved best: Morgan's journey, and

Laurie Flynn
UNDERWATER is the story of Morgan, a high school student who hasn't forgiven herself for the role she thinks she played in a horrible tragedy. Morgan literally can't move on—she is confined to her apartment, too afraid to venture beyond the front door. She takes online courses and has lost touch with her former friends. She has stopped swimming, which used to be her passion. But when newcomer Evan moves in next door and reminds Morgan of everything she used to love, she starts to wonder if she's ...more
Kels
Why can't I be happy to be alive instead of afraid of living?

If you're in between books or looking for your next great read, I highly suggest picking this novel up. I've been in such a massive reading slump lately, but this book shook me right out of it. It managed to hold my attention from start to finish, and quite honestly for a debut novel to tackle such heavy and important topics, Underwater completely took me by surprise and stunned me.

Marisa Reichardt's writing is artfully balanced. Her p
Peach
Magic. Absolute magic.

I feel like my review won't do this masterpiece justice. Maybe that's why I've taken so long to finally do so. I am so fond of the cover and the UK version, too. Have you seen it? Have you?

YESSSSSS. YESSSSSS.

I could brag about the covers of 2016 YA for hours, believe me. But before this becomes a giant discussion post, instead, let's fangirl over Underwater.

Morgan has it good. She's surrounded by a lovely troupe of friends and takes great joy in swimming. But after play
Kaitlin
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Underwater was simply beautiful, though I can't place my finger on exactly why it is. The rhythm of the writing was wonderful (there were a lot of short sentences as paragraphs that worked with story and made it even better). The writing pulled at me, evoked a response. It was just . . . pretty. The story itself is wonderful too. It's about bravery and living and caring for others. It leaves an impact.

I could hear Morgan'
Michelle Andreani
I will be totally honest: I read this a few weeks ago, but I've been too intimidated to review it. That's how deeply I felt it, how special and important I believe this book is.

All of Morgan's setbacks and triumphs dug so far into my heart; it was incredibly hard to let go of this story at the end. You know when you just want good things for someone? That's what I felt for Morgan and Ben and Evan and everyone in this book. And Marisa Reichardt's words are written with such a quiet and lyrical c
Shea Olsen
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ THIS BOOK!

This book is poetry and laughter and stunning, lyrical truths. I didn't want to leave Morgan's world when I finished this book. I felt so attached to her that I didn't want to let her go.
Marisa Reichardt has written a powerful and moving story that stirs in my thoughts even now, weeks after I finished it.

You won't be able to put this book down, so carve out several days of your life to dedicate to UNDERWATER, you won't regret it!
Colette
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite YA contemporaries EVER! This emotionally gripping story has readers laughing one second and in tears the next. Fans of John Green books should definitely pick up Underwater! Watch out YA Fiction world, Underwater is going to capture readers of all ages and become a best-seller in minutes! Overall 5/5 stars; if this book isn't already on your to-read list, add it ASAP!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

Underwater, Marisa Reichardt’s wonderful debut, is a book about the debilitating depths of fear and the stunning power of courageous hope. It begs to be read in one sitting and commands to be felt deeply. Underwater is a story about Morgan, a 16-year-old girl suffering from agoraphobia after a traumatic event. Morgan hasn’t left the house in months – she attends school online, has her own little rituals while her family is away and she meets her pro bono therapist in her own living room. Even th
Julie Eshbaugh
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-sweet-16s
UNDERWATER is about the process of healing, and the powerful way our connectedness can influence that process. The central story is about a girl recovering from a terrible trauma, but there are so many other stories here, too, and they all weave together so beautifully. That's the way this book felt to me... woven like a tapestry, with relationships binding everything together. There were scenes that felt like snapshots--vivid and alive like snapshots from my own family's albums. So many moments ...more
Danielle (Love at First Page)

3 stars

Disclaimer: these three star reviews are so pesky, because I think readers (including myself) automatically associate them with negativity. That's really not the case for me! Three stars is a generally positive rating, but it can also mean a lot of different things. It's a book that's good but not special. It's a book that I'm glad I read but probably won't re-read. It's a book that did not meet the high expectations I set for it, despite being an overall enjoyable read. Or, as is the cas
Lois Sepahban
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to read an advanced copy of UNDERWATER.

I love all of the characters--Morgan, Evan, Ben, Brenda, Taylor. Each has a unique story in this novel and the way their stories are woven together makes for a beautiful novel.
Ashley Blake
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief, neurodiversity
This book radiates a quiet strength. Completely lovely and redemptive and hopeful and Morgan Grant is a total badass.
Asghar Abbas
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: green-rain

Under the water, you can't breathe you can't breathe. So says Aurora. Though I may catch flak from the Creature from the North herself for quoting her whilst listening to Warpaint's new album Heads up.

Under the water, you can't breathe you can't breathe.

But.

This is a story about a girl who breathes under water. It's the only place she feels safe, in fact it is the only place she can breathe, you see?

It's strange, as it often is with strange beauty and stranger things. It is odd, I have been goi
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Underwater by Marisa Reichardt surprised me.

I’ve been in a MAJOR book slump these past couple of weeks. I kept falling out of books around the 50 page mark or less. Now let me take a minute to say that I don’t consider the books that I left unfinished bad books. I will likely try them again in the future. These slumps are all me. That said though—I do consider the book that eventually puts the kibosh on my slump extraordinary. It has to be to break through all the static interfering with my conc
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Underwater is the story of Morgan, a seventeen year old girl suffering from PTSD and anxiety after surviving a tragedy at her high school. All the other survivors seem to be getting their lives back together, but Morgan can’t seem to move on. She spends her days cooped up in the apartment she shares with her mum and brother until some new neighbours move in next door who might just give her the push she needs to reconnect with the outside world.

I have to say, I really loved this book. It drew me
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
This is one of those books that has the ability to make you tear up in one page and grin madly in the next. I love how much this book embraces the message of living your life to the fullest. The writing is wonderful, the quirks are adorable, the romance is cute! This book has dark aspects yet perfectly matches it with light and happiness. I'd definitely recommend this one!

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

I'm very choosy about contemporary reads. I tend to gravitate towards the lig
Kali Wallace
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marisa Reichardt's UNDERWATER is a truly lovely book. It's the story of Morgan, a teenage girl who becomes agoraphobic due to PTSD in the aftermath a school shooting, and her journey toward healing. Morgan is a wonderful character, believable and sympathetic, and she is surrounded by characters who all feel every bit as real: her mother and adorable little brother, the cute new neighbor, her wonderful therapist, and more. I especially appreciated that the adults are drawn every bit as well as th ...more
Alaina
Underwater was an okay book. It didn't really make an impression on me and if I wasn't catching up on reviews today.. well, I probably would've scrolled right past this and kept on writing.

Morgan was an okay character. I don't really have anything positive or negative to say about her. Other than the fact that I felt bad for her throughout the book. Yet, she wasn't my favorite or really memorable to me. I did, however, like Evan's character but again, this book was just meh to me.

Speaking of th
  • How It Ends
  • Love and Other Alien Experiences
  • The Memory of Light
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Third Charm (Run to You, #3)
  • In the Blood
Marisa Reichardt is a SoCal native who can usually be found huddled over her laptop in coffeehouses or swimming in the ocean.
“It turned out I wasn't dying on the outside. I was only dying on the inside, where nobody could see.” 13 likes
“Why do you do that?

Do what?

Blow off compliments.

I don't.

You kind of do.

Sorry.

Don't apologize. Just learn to say thanks.”
6 likes