Start by marking “Vikram Rana Investigates” as Want to Read:
Vikram Rana Investigates

Vikram Rana Investigates

(Vikram Rana Mystery Series #1)

Vikram Rana Murder Mysteries set in Hyderabad……
The Mysterious Affair of the Lohia Mansion
When the glamourous socialite Richa Lohia is poisoned in her mansion in Jubilee Hills, her brother-in-law hires his mate, ex-cop Vikram Rana, to solve this murder. This is Vikram’s first case and he, along with Inspector Gopi Reddy, must solve the case even if they face opposition fr
Published May 21st 2016 by Self

Kavipriya Moorthy
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A book of 160 pages with 2 murder mystery stories – Vikram Rana Investigates. It was amusing at first because the title was engrossing and the cover was interesting, so I started reading the story with some anticipation. My review below:

The opening scene starts with the family chart and introduction of characters as chapters, am not really a fan of “telling” but “showing” – so with respect to the craft of writing, I am a bit disappointed.

The character of Vikram Rana is compelling, but other than
Sundari Venkatraman
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The book consists of two detective novellas and Vikram Rana is the private investigator in both. The pace of the story is good and the author’s command of the language is impressive. The story pulls you in right from the beginning.
Arti
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The language of the book is very simple and easy to understand. The stories are fast paced and the book is a quick read. The stories are independent of each other and can be read individually. References to the first story in the second one could have been avoided but maybe the author has put them in to maintain continuity.
Both the stories kept me hooked because I really wanted to know ‘Who dunnit’ because whenever I felt that I had solved the mystery, a twist would come up. The stories have be
Boundless Book Reviews
Two great mysteries in one well written book; a must read for a mystery lovers. I found Vikram Rana Investigates to be well written; the characters are well developed, likeable, and easily relatable. Readers are given just the right amount of information to keep them guessing; and no, it’s not who you think it is.

This is the first book I’ve read by Shenoy, and I was not disappointed. He has an excellent writing style and his talent is obvious. To be honest, I’m not really into mystery, but I lov
Inderpreet Uppal
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vikram Rana is the heart and soul of this book and he set my heart aflutter. He is an ex-cop but he is the kind I would root for, support and want on my side. The story is well knit and kept me guessing about the real murderers.

The author, Sharmishtha has woven a story of many layers and kept me guessing of the motives of many characters until the end of the stories. I cannot decide which of the two I liked better. While the Lohia Mansion was more obvious kind with the murder of the wife, the So
Harsh
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read

Liked the plot of Hyderabad as I am also currently based out in the same city, felt very much connected. Two short stories were interesting and was involved in it throughout
Nisha Karkera
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started reading with zero expectations .. but it kept me captivated ..
Worth a read if you enjoy detective stories
Priya Patade
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I njoyed reading this book throughout!!
Looking for more books of yours........
Deepti
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Sharmishtha Shenoy is a true aficionado of Agatha Christie, as she proves, not only through the title of her novel ‘Vikram Rana Investigates’, but also in the writing style she adopts. There are two thrilling episodes set in Hyderabad, both of which draw the reader into “a web of deceit, lies and murder”.
Vikram Rana, the ex-cop turned private investigator, is macho and handsome with a soft corner for gorgeous women. He and Inspector Gopi Reddy (reminiscent of Christie’s Inspector Japp) work on p
Pankaj Goyal
Vikram Rana Investigates: Tales of Murder and Deception in Hyderabad by Sharmishtha Shenoy is a collection of two cozy murder mysteries. With tightly structured plots, both the stories keep you hooked till the end. In fact, it will not be wrong to say that both the stories have all the ingredients that a good murder mystery should have. The readers will find a couple of intriguing homicides with a number of suspects. There is Vikram Rana (the detective) to solve these cases. The needle of suspic ...more
D.R. Downer
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Being a die-hard mystery aficionado, I knew I have to take up this book to read and review the moment I saw the title. Thank you for not disappointing me, Ms. Shenoy.

Only to give you a quick and dirty gist of the protagonist; take one portion each of Karamchand, Agatha Christie, Byomkesh Bakshi, and a half measure of Sherlock Holmes. Put them all in a blender and churn them good. Pour out the mix in a tall, chilled glass and garnish with a big dollop of desi Hyderabadi tomato chutney. What you h
Rahul Basu
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book Vikram Rana Investigates has two episodes. While both the episodes were very enjoyable, I liked the second episode better as I kept guessing who the murderer could be and the end came as a total surprise. It was an intriguing story with a smooth narrative flow. The scenes unfolded before my eyes like a movie. I loved the character of Vikram Rana and wish to be part of all his forthcoming adventures. The episodes remind me of stories written by Agatha Christie. The author has used humor ...more
Jasleen Kaur
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The book came out to be a lot better then what I expected. The hopes were high from the first chapter itself. Mysteries were highly refined and interesting. Waiting to read more in the same series.

You can read the complete review here -

Romila
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The character of Vikram Rana is amazingly written by the author. Being from Hyderabad, the city, its localities and the traffic jams mentioned everything was so relatable to me. The Sonia Sinha Case and The Mysterious Affair of the Lohia Mansion both were written well and I liked reading both the cases.
Anu Khendry
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vikram Rana Investigates was a fun read!
The characters are real and one can relate to them in contemporary Hyderabad and India.
The suspense is also real ... you are constantly trying to guess who the killer is ... and it ends up to be the one you least suspect.
People familiar with Hyderabad will relate to the city and its localities, and even to its traffic jams!
Definitely recommended.
Asha KRISHNA
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Thriller by debut author set in hyderabad.

For a detailed review please click on the link below or paste it onto your browser.

Manikandan
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Graphics for this book not fully, but here and there would have made it better, as the stories plots looked ordinary
Mahesh
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Debutante author, crime and mystery, a solid hero, two mysteries in one book. Uncomplicated writing. A good start and a welcome addition to the list of writers of crime fiction. Pacing varies in both tales and the second tale is a tad better than the first one. Go for the book :)
Swapna Peri

Book Title: Vikram Rana Investigates: Tales of Murder and Deception in Hyderabad
Author: Sharmishta Shenoy
Format: Kindle

Book Title:
The book title clearly talks about more than one murder in the city of pearls, Hyderabad.

Book Cover:
The book cover image is a consistently used image of the author's penned interesting stories of mystery with the name ' Vikram Rana Investigates '. But every city's silhouette image is the interesting part.

Plot:
The book narrates about two murders that happened in Hyder
Tathagata Biswas
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Vikram Rama Investigates is a collection of two novellas - two stories based on Hyderabad. It's a good effort as this book is debut by the writer. The language is lucid and style of storytelling is good. The incidents are complex and Ms. Shenoy has nicely managed to link them up. Secondly, the characterization of different people is also appealing. However the praising part ends here. Let me tell you something what I did not like about this book.

Mr. Vikram Rana fails to scare people when he inte
Sid Sharma
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just thoroughly enjoyed this novel for many reasons. First of all, it is not a typical murder mystery. It has all the elements to keep you engrossed while reading the novel.
Loved the language. Easy for even amateur Reader to read, but I have to call author a smart person for a special reason. The vocabulary used in the novel is not too difficult or weird but yet the author used a rich vocabulary throughout the novel that is suitable to the scenes, which makes it more interesting to read.
There
Anupriya
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The most important aspect for success of a detective story is the ability to keep the suspense going. Until almost the climax, I had my own analysis of the facts and incidents being presented and came up with my theory of who the culprit could be. But boy! Was I bowled over? So here again a big thumbs up to the author.

The language is simple and did not actually require me to hit my head hard to understand wht was going on. For someone like me, who doesn’t have too much patience with suspense, it
Natasha
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mean Drake
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very simplistic tales. No red herrings, no clever clues. Tea time reading. Hard-core whodunit fans stay away.
Meenakshi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
We all love mysteries and whodunnit stories , don’t we? I remember being glued to the idiot box when our desi Sherlock Holmes aka Byomkesh Bakshi used to crack cases and ofcourse fell in love with the literary character of ‘Feluda’ while reading Satyajit Ray’s cases ! So, when I saw the title of the book as ‘Vikram Rana Investigates’, I decided to grab a copy as I was excited to read about another Indian detective.This book has been written by Sharmishtha Shenoy- a debutant to the field of writi ...more
Rameswar
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rubina
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A good start...

When a mystery is introduced to you in Agatha Christie way, a writer cannot go wrong. It is not only about finding the killer but it's equally important that the crime is interesting enough. Morbid but that’s the truth. Ms. Shenoy has done a good job in introducing the corpse to us. Richa plays the role of a beautiful corpse and as a reader, you want to know why such a beautiful and nice lady is killed so mercilessly. I loved the way she kept the readers hooked with few questions
Nimi
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vikram Rana, an ex-cop is now a private detective. Through Sharmishtha Shenoy's Vikram Rana Investigates, as he solves his first case and then another, we get to know this principled man and get familiar with his life.
The two episodes, The Mysterious Affair at the Lohia Mansion and The Sonia Sinha Case are both murder mysteries.

Episode 1: The Mysterious Affair at the Lohia Mansion
Vikram Rana is finally working on his first case.
Vikram's childhood friend, Rohan Lohia's sister-in-law has died and
Shilpa Garg
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
For me, it all started with Nancy Drew, Famous Five, Hardy Boys and then later with Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes. Yes, I love the intrigue and the thrills, the puzzling problems and the edge of the seat experience that the thrillers and murder mysteries provide us with. When I got the opportunity to read a murder mystery set in our very own country, I grabbed it immediately.

Vikram Rana Investigates: Tales of Murder and Deception in Hyderabad is a collection of two murder mysteries. Vikram
Surbhi Sareen
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cover- The cover of the book has dark blackish grey colour and we notice a man and a woman there. It is a perfect scene of investigation and it intrigues the readers by minor backgrounds of Delhi and Hyderabad’s monuments.

Title- The title perfectly matches the novellas as the story revovles around the ex- officer, Vikram Rana who sets up his private investigating agency.

Plot- The plots of the two novellas are identical as they focus on murder mysteries, though the scenarios are same. One is the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sharmishtha Shenoy is the author of “Vikram Rana Investigates” , “A Season for Dying” and "Behind the Scenes".
Her short stories have been published in efiction magazine and Woman’s era. She also loves writing murder mysteries, the kind of books that she herself likes to read. Her favorite authors are Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie. She also likes the work of Satyajit Ray – especially t

Vikram Rana Mystery Series (3 books)
  • A Season for Dying