Start by marking “Love's Changes” as Want to Read:
Love's Changes

Love's Changes

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
**This is an erotic novella featuring graphic and explicit language and sexual content between consenting adult men in a loving relationship. Reader discretion is advised.**

A near-fatal shot through his chest teaches Lieutenant Bryan Smyth of the NYPD two things: He wants to live to see more days and he wants to spend them with his estranged husband, Justice.

Poor decisions
Published June 3rd 2016 by Carnal Embrace Romance Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love's Changes, please sign up.
LaQuette I'm working on True's story now. Unfortunately I can't give you an exact date when it will be completed and available for purchase.

Gigi
Jun 02, 2016 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
I'm in a super crabby mood today so instead of bitching about this book, I'm going to post my update statuses, the notes I made to myself to help me remember the book for a review. (Cuz I'm old, OK?)

1. Together 21 years.
2. Married 5 years.
3. Still in the closet.
4. Still use condoms (False alarm. Husband 1 suited up, husband 2 said, "Don't you trust my fidelity?").
5. Amare family names:
e. Heart (cousin)
f. Honor

6. Husband in the closet changed his last name 5 years
Ezinwanyi
38 year old Lieutenant Bryan Smith and his husband Lieutenant Justice Amare are at a crossroads in their five year marriage. After tumultuous few years, Justice asked Bryan for a divorce. Justice has been openly gay for most of his life but Bryan isn’t out. Justice cannot take being the secret anymore and if Bryan can’t be open acknowledge their relationship, and then Justice is ready to move on from the man he has loved for twenty-one years.

Bryan loves Justice and doesn’t want to dissolve their
Milica
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
*side-eyeing all those stellar reviews*

What the author was aiming for: A story about one tough cop and one Marine going through emotional turmoil, trying to save their marriage and their love with the help of their family.

What we got: A story about two emotionally immature teenagers trapped in a grown men's bodies going hot and cold over each other, keeping us in a suspense, since we never know which one is going to be; Justice's family with their...interesting names...and their living arrangeme
Musings of A Romance Junkie
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, aa-romance
4.5 Stars.

This is something new-literally and figuratively from author LaQuette, and I was delightfully surprised. Authors who step outside of their "comfort zones" take big risks. They can misfire and or lose fans. But the one thing they can always say is "I did that!"

And guess what? LaQuette did that!

This is not my first gay male romance, but this is my first AA gay romance, and I loved it! This is the story of two, grown, mature, professional men in a loving, albeit troubled, committed relati
Shanen
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lovely
I am SO glad I didn't read some of the reviews before I started this story. SO glad !! I loved this story !! The guys have been together for 21 years, married legally for 5 of those years. In those 5 years some real sad life crap happens to them. The story is about how they work through it. I've seen some complaints that jealousy was used as a tactic for opening ones eyes. The complaint is laughable because while it may be the oldest trick in the book ( side eye ) the manipulation continues to w ...more
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After NYPD officer Bryan is recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest he begins to think about what he wants in his life, his estranged husband, Justice. The only problem with that is that Justice is ready to call it quits and asks him for a divorce. Bryan decides to try to attempt to win Justice back. They both still love each other but Justice isn't sure that is enough. He he tired of Bryan keeping their relationship a secret and pushing him away.

For being a short novella I thought this one
Victoria
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was waiting for this story and in her usual flair Quette did not disappoint. I wanted more of Them more of Their story.... I was happy with the care Quette took into sharing their story. She was able to convey the Truth that, Love knows Love and Nothing else matters. I was very pleased in the manner in which Quette took on this new step from traditional romance theme. She handled it with substance for a novella. We felt the love vibrate off the pages. You wanted Jussy and Brian to make it, you ...more
Alexis
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Love's Changes" is set in the world of LaQuette's "Queens of Kings" series, but can be enjoyed as a standalone novella. Bryan and Justice leap off the page, and you really feel for the two men and what they're going through. I love reading stories that follow up on what happens after the HEA, because let's be real -- relationships are WORK. They're up against external factors and the weight of everything that's happened between them over the years they've been together. Their story is inspiring ...more
Marilyn
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet, believable character dilemmas

These characters are such fun. It’s lovely to see characters working to keep a relationship going rather than beginning or ending one, and the things these guys go through are believable obstacles. And of course, the steamy bits were H O T. Definitely recommend!
Anna
Apr 22, 2018 added it
I really enjoyed this! Two men on the rocks in their relationship getting their crap together and getting back to each other, with the help of family.

It took me a little bit to get into, but once I did, I just enjoyed the ride. The Amare family is huge and there was definitely the feel of walking into a bit of a family saga there (which given that this is a spinoff, makes sense) but I love series with big families, so I'll probably go back and read LaQuette's other books.

I did kind of want to s
FantasyLiving
4 Hearts

Justice and Bryan have been together for twenty-one years, but the last five, since losing their daughter, has been a fight for the survival of their marriage. Justice has finally had enough of Bryan’s closeted lifestyle, and unwillingness to fight for them, and is ready for the divorce Bryan asked for five years ago.

Bryan is recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest, and after coming out of his coma, and healed enough to start physical rehab, he is finally ready to make things right
Sophia
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Curiously, what drew me to this book was the series title, Losing My Way. I was unfamiliar with the author or the earlier series Queens of Kings that this one is associated with. I couldn't resist a story about these guys who had been married and together a long time only to stumble and be on the brink of parting.

The novella is associated with the other series and I believe the characters- at least Bryan- were in the earlier series. That being said, I had no trouble reading this as a standalone.
Queue
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book hit too many of my pet peeves for me to be able to recommend it.

First peeve: An entire family with ironic and unusual names—The main character is Justice Amare and other family members are named Law, Free, True, Heart and Honor.

Second Peeve: A character uses jealousy to get his man back.

Third Peeve: Most of the exciting stuff in the couple’s life, including the stuff that has them splitting, happened before this story.

Those things aren’t the only things in this book that I didn’t like.
Susan65
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
LaQuette is a new author to me, but I took the chance because I am sucker for established couples who somehow lose their way. That is the premise of this story, and it delivered in all the ways that I loved most.

Brian and Justice have been together for many, many years, but the chaos of life has begun taking a toll on their marriage and relationship. Brian is closeted at work at the NYPD, and Justice can’t take it anymore. He feels like he is playing second fiddle to Brian’s career. Sadly, Brian
Kelly
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
High 5!!

First of all, I was blown away when I discovered Justice was a guy....the author did a stupendous job keeping that under wraps until the big reveal. With that bein said, this book reads like any other LaQuette book....meaning the heat and romance is there in abundance. You truly forget it's about two guys; I did and that says a lot about how the author grabs and keeps your attention!

I cannot wait for the continuation of this series....five star read!!!
Beebs
This one didn't work for me. Given the length of time this couple had been together, I thought the struggle they were going through was unrealistic.

I just found the plot and resolution unbelievable.

*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Trevor
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute, sexy and well written.

I was given a copy of this sort by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Lucy
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this novella is related to the series King of Queens, it works perfectly as a stand alone (and I haven’t read King of Queens). We are faced with Bryan, a cop, and Justice, a Colonel, who have been together over twenty years. For the last five they have faced numerous challenges to their relationship and Bryan asked for a separation and presented divorce papers. Justice has been fighting for their relationship and his man for five years but Bryan getting nearly fatally shot has made him rea ...more
K
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading anything from LaQuette and I thoroughly enjoyed Love's Changes. It's not a long read but the author still manages to get a lot of back history into the story plus keep the flow of the present going smoothly.

Justice and Bryan have been together for twenty one years and married for several of those years. Until the last five years they had a rock solid relationship even with Justice being away in the military and Bryan working his way up the ladder for the NYPD. They
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Bryan and Justice have been together for over twenty-one years, but the last five years have taken a toll on their marriage. So much so, that Justice asks Bryan for a divorce, even if they are still very much in love with each other.

Not wanting to lose his husband, Bryan accepts his crazy sister-in-law's help as his last resort. Will her plan to bring them together work or will it be the last straw in their alre
Natosha Wilson
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with both Bryan and Justice. These two men are both so strong, have strong jobs( one a marine the other a cop and former marine) but they lack one thing in their relationship.... Communication.

These two men have experienced so much hurt in the past in their relationship when they lost their daughter. It affected each men differently and instead of turning to one another they handled their grief differently.

Because of their lack of communication their marriage is on the rocks and
Ash
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful novella. It's rare that a story of this length (75 pages) has the depth of plot and character that Love's Changes has.

This is a story of miscommunication, misunderstanding and fighting for the one you love. Bryan and Justice have been together for 21 years, but shortly after getting legally married five years ago, something happens that tests their limits and puts them under a lot of stress. Add in their poor communication, long absences due to work and fears about bein
Avid Reader
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love's Changes by LaQuette
4 stars
M/M Romance
Triggers: Infant death
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

This was a sweet story, however, I felt that this was only the beginning of their story. Most of this was about their background, how they came to where they are presently in their life, their relationship and how they see themselves.

This was a very quick read, with a lot of information in it. The reader has to quickly understand what's going on, because LaQuette's
Candice
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan. There was too much that I didn't like:

1. Jealousy as a way to get your husband back?
2. Together for 21 years, married for how many? Separated for 5, but they still live together and have hot sex.
3. One is in the closet, but only at work, and one is out, but yet the one out thinks the one in is ashamed?
4. (view spoiler)
5. No real communication.
6. Meddling family
7. Father orders his kids around at h
Angie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
~I received a free copy of this book to read for Inked Rainbow Reads in exchange for an honest review~
3 stars M/M
If this book would have been longer I think it would have been better. Bryan was shot in the line of duty and realized that he wants to stay with his estranged husband Justice. Justice has wanted to be with Bryan the whole time, while Bryan didn’t but has now decided enough is enough. This was basically just a book with the two of them fighting back and forth on if they should stay to
La Sandra Culp
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this in May and with so much going on, it slipped my mind to start it. I have loved Mac and her Amare cousins since Heart of the Matter. I got comfortable and started reading. Omg, I sooo loved the story you created for Bryan and Justice. The emotional turmoil they were going through was so relatable. Loss of a child and long distance relationships definitely take a toll. I knew my girl, True, was gonna get Justice straight, lol. Thank you for such a well written story of love, a lov ...more
Nette Fields
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lost....and the changes

Child's death is one marriage strain. For thus couple that's were the brake started. Both Justice n Bryan were going through but Family! Lived that the family helped n was as passionate about their marriage.
Still waiting on True.... I feel she go more secrets then anybody.
I guess Martin ain't so straight
Carolyn King
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Love Justice and Bryan

What Justice and Bryan have is true love. They both needs to get their self together. They both know they cannot live without each other. Looking forward to reading more about them.
Dee Nickerson
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series has some my all-time favorite characters in this genre. I was thrilled for Bryan and Justice to work through their issues. It was so clear that their love never faded. Love is love.
Shona Jackson
Jul 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
LaQuette is an erotic, multicultural romance author of M/F and M/M love stories.  Her writing style brings intellect to the drama. She often crafts emotionally epic, fantastical tales that are deeply pigmented by reality's paintbrush.  Her novels  are filled with  a unique mixture of savvy, sarcastic, brazen, and unapologetically sexy  characters who are confident in their right to appear on the p ...more