Start by marking “Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32)

Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth #32)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  2,643 Ratings  ·  411 Reviews
Sergeant Hamish Macbeth--Scotland's most quick-witted but unambitious policeman--returns in M.C. Beaton's new mystery in her New York Times bestselling series DEATH OF A GHOST When Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth hears reports of a haunted castle near Drim, he assumes the eerie noises and lights reported by the villagers are just local teenagers going there to smoke pot or, ...more
Published February 21st 2017 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Ghost, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Flooze There was a female DI who was involved in one of the cases. From Glasgow, I believe? I think hers is the storyline you're remembering.

Jessica
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, mysteries
I hope that M. C. Beaton just keeps on writing these for fifty more years. I just love Hamish, and everything he says, and everyone around him. Is there a formula to these books? Of course there is! Do I care? No I do not!
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I have only read one book previous in this series and to be honest was I not so impressed with it. However, I thought I would give the series on more chance. The story seemed interesting and I love reading books set in Scotland.

Death of a Ghost starts off with a haunted castle, but then it quickly turns into a murder mystery when Hamish and Charlie find a body in the castle. Who killed the man and why? This is only the beginning as more the killer goes after more people. And, it's up to Hamish t
Fiona MacDonald
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
I just adore Hamish. He's so loveable and kindhearted (deep down!!) and I love travelling back to Lochdubh to see him and his friends / colleagues. It's like a warm hug. I miss Sonsie dreadfully though and hope she reappears!! This tale features a castle that may or may not be haunted, and it's up to Hamish and Charlie to find out what's happening, without being murdered as they do so!
Susan Johnson
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Hamish is back in action investigating multiple crimes in the Highlands. For no apparent reason, this are is swimming in crime. In this book there are multiple smuggling operations to uncover including cigarettes, e- cigarettes and plain old drugs. There are also not one, not two but three murders and the attempted murder of two policemen. How will Hamish begin to unravel all the threads.

I am enjoying the partnership of Hamish and Charlie. They're a match made in heaven. Both Patricia and Elsp
Una Tiers
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was as usual, a nice visit with the characters from the Hamish series. What bothers me is the somewhat disturbing remarks that take Hamish into the category of a pig. And, the quick set up of a conflict with a resolution in the next sentence is not natural. It would be a 3 but for the characters I love.
Fictionophile
When the publisher invited me to review M.C. Beaton's latest Hamish Macbeth mystery I thought "Why not?" In the 1980s I read the first five of the series and remembered them as light, entertaining, 'cozy' police procedural mysteries. Now, these many years later, the author has penned the 32nd novel featuring Hamish Macbeth and little has changed. I ask myself is that good or bad?

Macbeth is still on the 'right side of forty'. He is still long, lanky, red-headed, and as unambitious as he ever was.
Jenn Bellant Donner
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

I have read every single Hamish Macbeth book and even watched the BBC television series. I like reading this series because it's a quick read and you don't have to invest too much time and concentration in. After reading 'Death of a Ghost', I am starting to wonder why I keep reading them. Hamish does not seem to learn from his many relationship mistakes. He seems so smart about crimes going on around him but refuses to see that maybe the p
Erika
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery, netgalley
This is good classic Hamish Macbeth. If you are a fan of the series already, then you won't be disappointed. If not, I think you could easily pick this one up and enjoy it as a stand-alone mystery without having read the previous books.

Called to the village of Drim to investigate claims of a "haunted" castle, Hamish and Charlie discover no ghosts, but they do find a dead body. Unfortunately it disappears before CDI Blair arrives on the scene. When the investigation points to local smugglers, the
Kath
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me, reading a Hamish book is like having a nice bath, popping on a new nightie and slipping into a bed made with fresh sheets; it's that comfy and cosy an experience. Yes they are rather formulaic in nature; you know that certain things will happen in the course of his investigations. They have happened in all the past thirty odd books but, for some reason, they have worked every time, never feeling samey or stale. Instead, as I have already mentioned in past reviews, they give me a certain ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 I've always enjoyed M.C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series. But in this latest book, Death of a Ghost, I've found that Hamish has developed an edge - one I don't like.

I do like the sleepy village of Lochdubh, its quirky inhabitants and the ginger policeman who easily solves cases, but works even harder to not get the credit. But I didn't find the homey, cosy feeling I was looking for in this newest entry.

I was immediately put off by a distasteful 'joke' in the first few pages It's not a joke, i
Kathy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
So continually amusing to me - the clever Scottish policeman, avoiding yet attracting the opposite sex whilst always putting first the solving of crimes without garnering credit so he can stay in the rural spot he loves. Promotion is a thing to be avoided. I have loved Hamish Macbeth for all 32 books now, as he brings me laughter. For readers of the series all the regular characters make brief appearances in this tale that includes the ever present conflict between the establishment now morphed ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Hamish MacBeth is back in true Hamish fashion. This is a series that I find people either love it or not. Hamish is a very distinct personality. He loves living in Lochdubh and has no interest in moving up the ladder in the police force. His sidekick, Charlie, is a large, clumsy lovable man who also does not want to leave the area. The problem is, these two inevitably solve cases and have to give the credit to others. This story sees Hamish and Charlie investigating a number of crimes in the Hig ...more
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read many of the early Hamish Macbeth books and I loved them. This one, though? I hated it. Hamish has turned into a condescending pig that I do not like. I finally just skipped to the end and it made say, "WTF??"

The entire epilogue (which was way too long) storyline with Fox and Blair was just so far out there. Is Beaton even writing these books herself anymore or has she just gone barmy?

Absolutely abysmal book and I highly doubt I will ever read an MC Beaton book again.

In case I was not cle
Damaskcat
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A retired policeman buys a derelict castle with the intention of restoring it. Then he reports ghostly - or maybe human - noises and happenings to the police and Hamish Macbeth and Charlie are sent to investigate and find a dead body.

Meanwhile the minister's wife is trying to find a good woman to take Hamish in hand after the breakup of his latest relationship. What follows is a complex story about smugglers, a spate of apparently unconnected murders, women scorned and some misguided scheming o
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Hamish has been featured in 32 books so far and he is still looking for that prefect woman. I have not read these in order so I missed his latest. I only know about her because he manages to send her packing as the book begins. Now he is on the lookout again but a new mystery appears. What looked like one mystery was actually two and I was in the dark on who done it until the very last. Beaton always makes a Hamish book fun to read and Death of a Ghost was no execution.

I received a free copy of
Sally906
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-cosy
It was OK - certainly not got the magic of the earlier ones - still haunted castles, missing bodies and romantic shenanigans kept my eyes on the pages.
Elizabeth
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: england, own
I read this book in one sitting. It is fast paced, fun and has a twist at the end. I had it all figured out...until I didn't. I love the way Hamish very subtly digs at the bosses, who are a funny blend of incompetence and arrogance. Death of a Ghost is a great read. M.C. Beaton scores again.
Dawn Michelle
Ooooooooo, this one was dark. And weird. And dark. And oh. so. weird. And a "well I sure didn't see THAT coming" moment as well.
Another great one in this series.
Marilyn Fontane
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, mc-beaton, mystery
I've certainly read most of the Hamish Macbeth cozies written by M. C. Beaton, and while some were getting a bit formulaic, this one, Death of a Ghost, was a pleasure to read. To prove reports of a ghost at a castle in Drim, Hamish and his deputy Charlie Carson decide to spend the night in the tower ruins. Clumsy Charlie falls through the roof and discovers a dead body in the basement--the first of three murders the two investigate. All three are slightly connected in an convoluted plot relating ...more
Kristi Lamont
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
That's it, I quit. No more M.C. Beaton, as much as I once loved me some Hamish and the Highlands. Just too harsh all the way around in terms of how people interacted, the mystery itself was ridiculous (and ridiculously convoluted), and the combo incompetence/corruption of certain recurring characters has become farcical. The only reason I read this one was because I wanted to find out whatever became of Sonsie, for Pete's sake. I hate to end a long-time relationship on a sour note, particularly ...more
Kyrie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This one seemed a little better than most. Part of the Hamish appeal is that it's predictable - he'll have a second officer with some weird quirk (this one breaks things), he'll long for Priscilla and Elspeth. Someone in town will try to fix him up with a woman. Blair will be a pain.

On the notable side,maybe Hamish is getting over Priscilla? Honestly, I think he misses Sonsie more.

Daviot, Blair, and others....how does the Scotland police force manage to actually do anything?

But yes, if you li
Elizabeth
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hamish Macbeth at his best. I have read all of these mysteries and love the colorful characters that I have come to know over the course of M.C. Beaton's entertaining writing. In this book, there is a great deal of humor and some outlandish new characters that are involved in the latest murder mystery.
Nancy Ellis
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Hamish! I've followed him from the beginning and have enjoyed every one of his adventures. He has always been a superb detective, but it's great that he has evolved into a much more sensible man rather than the buffoon he was at the beginning. Looking forward to many more books about him.
David Gilchrist
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well that is another Hamish story finished. I loved it and will continue to look forward to the series continuing. Many will say predictable, they are correct, but still enjoyable never the less..To the author I look forward to the next one.
Gerry
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this series
Fredrick Danysh
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fans of Agatha Christie's Hecule Periot should enjoy Death of A Ghost. When called upon to investigate claims of a haunted castle, Sergeant Hamish MacBeth discovers the first of a series of bodies and a smuggling operation. His old nemesis Inspector Blair is active in the story.
Grey853
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I used to love this series, but it's degraded into the perfect study for a misogynistic copper who lives in a village of men who see women as victims, bitches, and man-eaters. It's like every woman in the book is desperate to marry and/or destroy some man's life by her mere existence.

Hamish's attitude was degenerating in the last few books, saying ugly things about people, women in particular, but this one goes over the top. For Hamish a woman is either good for sex and then needs to be gone or
Sheryle
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have always loved Hamish Macbeth and his little slice of Scotland. Getting a new "Death of" book feels like going home on vacation. The characters all feel like old friends. You know what to expect when you pick up one of these books and I've never been disappointed. Because of the quirky characters, Scottish setting, wonderful dialogue and twisting storylines these books are my favorite cozy mysteries.

Unfortunately, this time the story seemed a bit forced. Maybe after more than 30 books it's
Helene Harrison
Review - I enjoyed this mystery better than some of the more recent Hamish Macbeth novels. What I really like about some of these novels is the continuity of having the same characters, but also having new characters introduced as part of the mystery. It gives the stories continuity across them, but it also adds new elements. The writing is consistently clever and concise and the characters, although you know them, there are always new elements to discover.

Genre? - Mystery / Crime

Characters? - H
Anne
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining and engrossing book featuring Hamish Macbeth, the number one policeman in Lochdubh, with his sidekick, Charlie and his loveable dogs, Sally and Lugs.

This is an action packed adventure with no shortages of murder victims and suspects, usually the last person the reader would imagine was capable of such a crime. Even several of the detectives come under scrutiny and at one stage, Hamish Macbeth fears for his life. There is a disappearing body, and even the local Minister and
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Marriage is like life in this—that it is a field of battle, and not a bed of roses. —Robert Louis Stevenson” 0 likes