Start by marking “Medium Rare (Profane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Medium Rare (Profane, #1)

Medium Rare

(Profane #1)

A good cop, a good son, a loyal partner--none of this was enough to save Lachlan Graham's nerves when his entire world fell apart three years ago.

A former Seattle Police Officer, Lachlan has spent the time since he left the force trying to piece his life together after being abandoned by his partner: Detective Vector Clanahan. But with a dead neighbor downstairs, his care
Published May 7th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Medium Rare, please sign up.
Lia Cooper the Suicide Case makes up about 2 chapters in this book--there's another 265 pages of new material ;)

Elle W.
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review as part of the DBML program from MMRG. This fact has no bearing on my review.
I will begin by saying that the concept was great but I am not sure that this book qualifies as a romance (just as I was writing this, I checked it's categories on Amazon and "Romance" is one of them). There was not an inkling that the MCs even liked one another that way, except for the single interrupted kiss in Lachlan's house.
As I was reading, I kept t
Andrea
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This would have been a good book except it switched timelines continously throughout the entire book. Loved the story, hated reading it.
Lisa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this book free by the author in exchange for an unbiased review.

Firstly, this wasn't a romance. The characters don't get together. Its a good old fashioned murder mystery. The mystery was really good and I didn't guess who did it.
I wasn't a fan of the flashbacks. They added little to the story and took me out of the modern day. I am not sure what the flashbacks were trying to tell us. More background as to why Lachlan had left the force would have been good. Also I am not
Bookish
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this is one of the rare books that is a complete mess writing-wise, and yet I gave it a fairly high grade and still enjoyed it. Normally I can't stand books that are poorly written. Lia Cooper is a good story-teller, in that she can make up interesting worlds, characters and plot, and is even fairly good about the structure. She doesn't underwrite, nor overwrite - both failings of practically every damn MM writer out there. However, her actual sentences are atrocious. This book is so full of ...more
The Neighbor
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short Story turned Trilogy

I read the short story version of this book right after I finished "The Blood & Bone Trilogy". I was looking for another good set of books I could sink my teeth into and loose myself in the land of make-believe. Yeah... that didn't happen. Instead I came away feeling disappointed because that story really had good bones. But it needed fleshing out and that just wasn't there.

Now, with that said, I can't really explain how excited & pleased I was at receiving an
Meg
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

This could have really used a proofreader. There are a lot of grammatical errors and other mistakes, like using the wrong name for characters. It's also very disjointed, with all the flip-flopping between flashbacks and the present. Some of the flashbacks don't add anything of value for me and just interrupted the story pointlessly.

I am a fan of the Blood and Bone series, so I had high hopes for this. It needs work, though. :(
Ng
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-2018-uc
The switch between 2012 and 2009 took some time to make sense. Lachlan and Vector don't have any problem that a good talk couldn't clear. Anyways the mystery was interesting and I will certainly read the next book in the series too see how it goes. Good editing would have resulted in 20 or so pages shorter and fewer mistakes.
Ashley
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lachlan was a great cop until three years ago when his entire world fell apart, he has spent the last three years trying to forget, but that all goes out the window when his ex partner Vector shows up as killer makes his move in Seattle.

Vector saved Lachlan three years ago, but a couple of misunderstandings caused him to tuck his tail and take the FBI offer to be a tracker. He has tracked his serial killer back to his old stomping grounds and ex partner.

Another good book by Lia Cooper, Lachlan
Calila
The story is interesting but I didn't love the format. The time jumping was what confused me at times, but I understand the reasoning. It just took me out of the story each time I had to pause to figure out what was happening. The characters are complex...I enjoyed their angst. I liked the complicated drama of it all. The mystery is a solved a bit too late for my tastes. It's like the author remembered in the last 5% "oop I have to reveal the bad guy still!". Also it bugged me that it took so lo ...more
Pati
This is not, in any way, a romance. This is also not a full story. It's not book one of a series. It's the first book of a Serial with a complete cliffhanger. Furthermore, it is riddled with all kinds of errors. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Joe
Shelves: kultd
3.5*
Sharon
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A free copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. I love a book which stimulates the imagination with a story that reads in such a believable way you can close your eyes and see it all happening on your street. Medium Rare does not disappoint.

Lachlan Graham is an ex-police detective trying to piece his life back together in the face of insurmountable debt. His neighbor, a psychic is violently murdered and has left him a message in a tarot card reading. Vecter
Jaylee
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lia Cooper's done it again and I am all kinds of frustrated I have to wait for the next book (even if I only have to wait 3 days). This is a fantastic paranormal mystery book with a gay romance woven through it. Werewolves, psychics, vampires, ghosts - this is just a ton of fun. Humor and beautiful writing, solid characters whose feelings are real (and awkward. Lord, give me the awkward pining YESSS). I am so into this book (the little interwoven pieces with Blood and Bone were a nice touch too! ...more
Meggie
I'm positive imprest by this new started series. Medium Rare was a fine first book in Profane series.
Here we have two main characters, Lachlan Graham and Vector Clanahan. They were partners in Seattle Police. But their working relationship fell apart 3 years ago, because of a misunderstandings. Today, each one works alone, Vector as a werewolf tracker for FBI, and Lachan is a barista in a cofe shop. Their path crosses again and this time, they will have to talk it out!
In overall I enjoyed this
Aya
Story: 4*
Writing: 1*
Characters: 2*

I really liked the plot, everything else not so much. I was a fan of the characters but I wanted to know more about them and I waned to see more interaction between them. More than halfway through the story and I still didn't have a good sense of who the MCs were. This was plot focused, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it did need to be more character driven. I wasn't a fan of how the flashbacks were written into the story, it was disruptive and didn't a
F.
I haven't read any of the series that is a companion of this but I didn't feel as though I was missing anything. Be warned there is NO SEX in this story just a little kissing near the end. I enjoyed the story enough though that I am going to read the other series - the author kindly has a timeline to show how the two series intertwine - when I have time. Unfortunately however errors in spelling (sherif and txting two examples) and context (wrong headline date, the MC's are transposed) pulled me ...more
Wende
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book and it was good but with just a bit more it could have been great. The back and forth between the timelines was not well done. It was whiplash inducing. The back and forth between the main character’s point of view was hard to keep track of who it was sometimes. There was a lot of misspellings and wrong words used. The story was gripping and the mystery was top notch. I just wish I could give it a better rating. I will read more in this series.
Debby
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Page turner

Wow this book was intense! At first I couldn't get into the back and forth (flipping from past to present) but after a few chapters I really got into it. The plot is about two men Vector and Lachlan who are ex police partners. They haven't seen each other for years but when a serial killer picks Lachlan's neighbor, they begin working together. Old hurts and confusion about their past along with the eerie occult killing theme makes this a truly awesome read.
Sandra Walker
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vector & Lachlan

What a mess had no idea they felt the same about each other. Too busy denying how they felt. Now few years later they have a chance to fix things and be happy. Waiting until I can afford the next book to see what happens.
Jenn (not Lily)
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
re-read 6/27-28/18
Kristy Maitz
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was interesting reading material.
Chelle Britton
Melissa
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Profane (2 books)
  • Vapor Trail (The Profane, #2)