Start by marking “Don't Need No Water” as Want to Read:
Don't Need No Water

Don't Need No Water

When his beloved Sissy ends up dead in the local jailhouse after being taken in for a misdemeanor, Iverson doesn't believe for a minute that she committed suicide. After he and his brothers learn the harsh truth about what really happened, what the Sheriff and his friends did to her, they set out to make the whole town pay for their sins - and nothing but the truth can ...more
Kindle Edition, 3rd, 48 pages
Published November 2013 by Corpus Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Need No Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Need No Water

Start your review of Don't Need No Water
Janie C.
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where there's smoke, there's fire. A gasoline and blood-soaked revenge story that takes a shocking turn downwind.
Evans Light
Jun 09, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it, wrote-it
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

Get the eBook here: http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Need-Water...

Don't Need No Water by Evans Light

Or the audiobook here: http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Don...
Char
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, brutal revenge tale that holds nothing back! Is it bad that I laughed in the middle of a nasty chainsaw scene? Probably, but it's rare that an author could make me do that. If, indeed, that was what he intended.

If it wasn't, I should probably seek professional help. Recommended for fans of revenge stories!
Carol
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barkersville....a town of sinners who pay in hellfire...."For the wages of sin is death."

Sissy is missing and Iverson intends to find out the whole truth about what really happened to his girlfriend....and so he does.

Dark...Gruesome...and a Devil of a tale.

Kaisersoze
Don't Need No Water is an excellent, gut punch of a short story from up and coming author Evans Light which depicts the full brutality of humanity in an unflinching manner.

The story itself is very straight forward: following the supposed suicide of his girlfriend in police custody, a young man rounds up his brothers and best friend, intent on obtaining revenge for his girlfriend and bringing a small town to its very knees. Yet Light is such a skilled author, he paints a very vivid picture as
Edward Lorn
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel dirty, as if I'm covered in a thick layer of grime and ash. DON'T NEED NO WATER is a helluva a short story. Evans Light managed to actually disturb me. My jaw aches from clenching, and goose flesh seem to be plastered permanently across my arms. Two thing in particular unsettled me. The mention of the smoker, and the chainsaw work at the end. Holy shit. Enough said.

I think one of the best parts of the story is the opening. I've lived in towns like Barkersville, and Light's descriptions
Zoeytron
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorties
You don't want to get crossways of Iverson, he gets mad as the very devil when riled. He and his crew are out for the truth and he means to exact retribution. Havoc is wreaked in a big way in the small town of Barkersville.

Details are essential in short stories, and Evans Light dishes out just the right touches to make a story real. It lets us know exactly what we are working with . . . . or maybe not. Dark, gory, with a fantastic ending.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
A man wants to punish an entire town for the sudden disappearance of his girlfriend. This short story has twists and turns you don't see coming. Very well written and very creepy.
Ms. Nikki
Iverson knows his love Sissy didn't kill herself, that the town's sheriff and his friends hurt her. Iverson and his brothers set out to make things right. Blinded by his vengeance, Iverson becomes just as bad as the monsters he's been putting down.

A quick, hard-hitting read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended~
Jason Parent
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal... vicious... unapologetic... twisted. My cup of tea.

The chain saw scene alone... wow - wish I'd thought of that. Fives stars - highly recommended.
megHan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites, horror
I was super excited when I got a message from Evans that included a preview edition of this, his latest story. Within minutes, I had it downloaded, on my Kindle and even put the movie that I was watching at the time on pause - that was how much I NEEDED to read it and read it right away.

To say that I was impressed by the book is an extreme understatement. He has such a way with words and descriptions - as if you can close your eyes and see the setting and characters right there in your mind. The
Still
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unpleasant little read with an amazing number of highly descriptive rapes and assorted other brutalities.

Non-stop acton sequences, briskly paced this is a tale of one man possessed with an overwhelming desire for vengeance, misguided as it may be.
Set the volume to "overkill".

If you're disturbed by the violence in a typical Mickey Spillane "Mike Hammer" novel, this short tale might just curdle your egg-nog.

Impressive writer of intense action sequences.
Recommended for any classic pulp fiction fan
Angel Gelique
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was kind enough to send me a preview copy of this story. I thought I'd get to it in a couple of days but just couldn't resist. I started reading it and could not tear myself away. Iverson "Ivy" loves his girl, Sissy. So when he is informed that she has committed suicide after being taken into custody on a minor infraction, he naturally grows suspicious. He discovers foul play on the part of the Sheriff and his deputies, along with others in the community. Ivy knows he can't let ...more
Ian
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-stand-alone
After the girl he loved is murdered, Iverson sets about exacting is own brutal revenge on the town he holds responsible.

For a lot of people 3 Stars is not a good rating and there are times when it's that for me, but sometimes when I rate a book 3 Stars I'm just saying the book wasn't for me. That's what I'm saying here. I generally don't read horror and I tend to avoid violence...this book has both. It's incredibly short, just 28 pages but there is a lot of carnage in those pages. People who
Meloney
Holy shit batman! This book went there! I fear to say too much. I wouldn’t want to spoil the experience future readers may have. That reaction being the same one I had, which was….WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!
Iverson & friends, you sick bastards! Deputy Frank - oh that made me cringe, little girls crying when they left the study, and Annie - if this would have been a movie, I would have clamped my eyes closed until the scene was over.
The story was horrifying, sick, and twisted. Anyone who enjoys
Rachel
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Sick, twisted and nasty could all be used to describe this short little tale of revenge from Evans Light, but this is not your average, garden-variety revenge rampage, a fact I began to suspect from the moment our main character describes his first meeting with Sissy, the love of his life. As the saying goes, it only goes downhill from there.

I'm kind of disturbed that I enjoyed this as much as I did, and I will be keeping an eye out for this author's other works.
Christine
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this short story on Audible. Holy smokes it was brutal and disturbing. I enjoyed it....thoroughly! Crazy revenge tale with a really screwed up twist. If you are going to read or listen to a short story this is it. Great writing, great detail....only thing I didn't like was the music in the background. Sorry Evan I just didn't care for it. But I LOVED the story. No stone goes untouched with this story. You definitely went there my friend..lol keep up the great work!
Shari-amor
Uh...Holy shit....Just holy fuckin shit. The twists, the turns, and the brutality. The insanity. Wow. A fantastic revenge story
Hudson
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Quite simply the most important literary work of our time. The best book I have ever read!" - The Trashcan Man
Marilou Johnson
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Iverson finds out the girl he loves has killed herself while in jail for a misdemeanor, he finds out something entirely different happened to her. His hate for the people he hears are responsible for her death is overwhelming. Along with his brothers, they set to burn their hometown of Everville down and make the evildoers pay with their lives.

What a GREAT short story by Evans. I'm never disappointed in his works. He's able to immerse you into the story with his descriptive writing and
Donald Armfield
This is some fire! A psychotic mans rampage to force love. The out come ending in what needs no water.

I slept on Light's work for awhile, no reason just keep picking up More titles to add to my stack of books to read and never know when to begin.

I have more of Light's work on my kindle and will be getting to it real soon. A huge five star for this short story.
Lisa
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A raw and hard-hitting revenge story - short but not sweet! Excellent narrative.
Nancy Lamz
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, giveaways
I received this book as a giveaway. Very interesting. Not what I expected. Thank you to Evans Light for sending this to me. Will definitely read more of his work.
Laura Thomas
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Iverson’s girlfriend, Sissy, ends up dead in a jail cell, things don’t bode well for the sheriff and his cronies.

Ivy and his two younger brothers, along with some buddies are going to mete out their own brand of small town, vigilante justice.

Evans claims stories of the “weird tales’ variety are his favorite to write and he just proved it again. I can’t begin to imagine this happening in real life. Maybe it has, but it would’ve been hard to miss the headlines.

You don’t get to know Sissy.
Pamellia
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pamellia by: friend
Shelves: 2014
Don't Need No Water by Evan Light Read Sunday, April 6, 2014

Recently a friend recommend this story to me. I decided to read it this afternoon.

The story takes place in a small southern town. A group of young men have decided there is only one way to punish those who have wronged a friend of theirs.

The story had the flavor of an old Twilight Zone with an underlying morality not unlike The Oxbox Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark. I found out a lot about this group of young men/boys from the
Jacob Rayne
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an intense and brutal ride that I couldn't read quick enough. There were some nice grisly parts - the amateur dentistry springs immediately to mind! - and the revelation near the end was absolutely jaw-dropping. This is Evans's best work so far, and that is really saying something as he already has some cracking works to his name. I can't wait to read what he delivers next.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dang. This was hardcore. I knew how it was going to end, as it became fairly obvious what was going on, but I do wish this raping, murderous "cuss word here" had gotten his due. Hopefully he was caught, sent to prison and had a glorious affair with the broken end of a broom handle! Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Alondra Miller
4 Stars

DAMN! That was some crazy, and twisted stuff. I knew things were not as cut and dry, when our main character meets Sissy for the first time. How completely twisted. Loved it.

My first Evans Light, and not certainly my last. Bring them on! :)
Andrew Lennon
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This made "the purge"seem tame. A very Short, but powerful story packing a huge message that vengeance is not always the right choice. if you don't step back and look at the whole picture then your world could be up in flames.
Douglas Castagna
A revenge tale at its best. Bloody, brutal, and unrelenting. Evans Light goes full throttle in Don't Need No Water.
« previous 1 3 next »
Evans Light is a writer of horror and suspense, and is the author of Screamscapes: Tales of Terror , Arboreatum , Don’t Need No Water and more. He is editor of the anthology Doorbells at Dusk and the In Darkness, Delight series. He is co-creator of the Bad Apples Halloween anthology series and Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love .
description