Start by marking “Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)

Honor Among Thieves

(The Honors #1)

Petty criminal Zara Cole has a painful past that’s made her stronger than most, which is why she chose life in New Detroit instead of moving with her family to Mars. In her eyes, living inside a dome isn’t much better than a prison cell.

Still, when Zara commits a crime that has her running scared, jail might be exactly where she’s headed. Instead Zara is recruited into the
Published February 13th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Thieves, please sign up.
Kiran Leviathan is originally a sea monster from Jewish stories, so the idea of giant creatures swimming the void of space named Leviathan does not have to…moreLeviathan is originally a sea monster from Jewish stories, so the idea of giant creatures swimming the void of space named Leviathan does not have to be lifted from Farscape! Farscape was also not the only science fiction to name giant sentient aliens Levianthans (see Mass Effect, although I'm sure there are others too). I think it's just that if you're going to create a giant sentient alien ship, the name 'Leviathan' just fits in with our mythos easily! It's not necessarily a rip-off; could very easily be great minds think alike. And honestly, other than the sentient ship named Leviathan, there's not much else that makes Nadim similar to Moya. (less)
Michelle Usually when people ask this, they're asking if there's an overt romantic or a sexual relationship - if that's the question here, it's a resounding…moreUsually when people ask this, they're asking if there's an overt romantic or a sexual relationship - if that's the question here, it's a resounding nope. (less)

Emily May
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I struggled with Honor Among Thieves pretty much immediately.

The book opens with Zara Cole running around the streets of New Detroit until a few lifeless action scenes see her accidentally robbing the daughter of an important mobster. She turns herself in to a youth detention center, where she feels she will be safer, but then suddenly finds herself selected for the Honors program - a program that allows a "lucky" few to join the Leviathan, sentient alien ships that explore the dark reaches of
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
This book is one of the most unique, amazing things I've ever read. The sci-fi aspect is completely new, atleast to me, and I remained entranced throughout the book. The book is written well but maintains a casual undertone which I really enjoyed.  The characters were the cherry on top. They are great people who came together on this journey and formed a great friendship.

We follow Zara, a girl from the worst end of society as she is selected to be an honor. An honor is a person who is chosen t
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved the freaking hell outta this book! Slapped this baby on my favorites list!!

Creator on pic

They better not have an unhappy ending when they finish these books!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Carrie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Zara Cole has been separated from her family for quite awhile after having medical issues as a young child. Zara's mother and sister have gone to live on Mars but for Zara that would feel too much like being caged in. She has been surviving on the outskirts of New Detroit living off her wits and what she can steal but when Zara picks the wrong target to steal from and she finds herself in quite a bit of danger.

After stealing the purse guards are sent to retrieve the contents from Zara so she le
Yodamom
Aliens come to earth offering help and more to humans. These are not your typical two legged, upright aliens no these are like spaceships. You can travel in them, and some humans go on a kind of foreign exchange program traveling out into the universe with them. How cool is that ? Oh but it gets so much better, they can communicate with humans, in ways that I'm not going to tell you but they are awesome. The book centers on one alien, and his honors (humans) two very different girls. This alien ...more
Crazy4Books
If I could only recommend 1 Scifi book this would be it!

This book hooked me right from the prologue. From that point on I just knew I was reading my next favorite book. The concept was so incredibly fascinating. Living alien ships have made contact with Earth and agreed to share planet saving technology in exchange for 100 chosen human representatives every year who are willing to go on a 1 year tour of space with them. They tell the world their goal is to learn from the cultural exchange, but
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
5 AMAZING STARS! This was what I needed from YA Sci-Fi! Diversity, EPIC adventure, sarcasm, aliens, awesome crew, and mystery! Gahhhhh! need sequel..and so my watch begins :)

Full Review may also be viewed on Lair Of Books:

Content Warning: Physical/Child abuse

PLOT

My first YA Sci-Fi of the year & I ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY LOVED IT! When we meet our MC Zara, she is on the streets trying to survive in a cut throat world. Her mother & sister have moved to M
I've been wanting to read Honor Among Thieves ever since I heard Ann Aguirre give a reading last year, let's face it you don't often get to read stories about a girl who falls in love with a sentient space ship so the concept had me hooked! This was such a fun story and the writing switched seamlessly between Ann Aguirre and Rachel Caine, I definitely couldn't pinpoint who wrote which parts.

The story starts by showing us Zara's life on earth, things have been hard for her and she ended up living
Alyssa

Publication Date: February 13, 2018
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by publicist

Summary (from Goodreads):

Petty criminal Zara Cole has a painful past that’s made her stronger than most, which is why she chose life in New Detroit instead moving with her family to Mars. In her eyes, living inside a dome isn’t much better than a prison cell.

S
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
4.5 stars!!!

LOVED IT!!! And I think part of why I loved it is the ship. Reminded me of one of my all time fave tv shows - Farscape.

Such great characters. A story line I had NO CLUE which way the authors were going to take things. A fast paced, action packed plot that kept me at times holding my breath and others smiling bright as I traveled through space, while lost in my own imagination.

Great read.

Just what I needed and now I need more, more, more! Can't wait to see what happens next! Highly
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Well that was unexpectedly awesome! See- I expected to like it of course, otherwise I'd not have read it. But one, I didn't expect it to be as awesome and two, it did start off slow, and I wasn't sure it was going to work for me. Clearly, I was incorrect.

That little bit of initial slowness is the only negative I have with the book whatsoever. So let's get that out of the way. The first m
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*2.5/5 stars*

I have mixed feelings about this book. The beginning was not good, at all, but I did feel somewhat hooked in the second half.

One of the things that absolutely did not work for me was the Zara's (MC) voice. It was like the authors tried so hard for her to have this "I'm so egy and don't care about any of you suckers" (while of course it wasn't true) voice, and oh god... it seemed so fake. It came out as forced and cringe worthy. And I just couldn't enjoy reading it as much with Zara'
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
HONOR AMONG THIEVES is the first book in The Honors series by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre. I've previously read a book by Rachel Caine that I greatly enjoyed, SMOKE AND IRON from The Great Library series. However, this is the first time I've anything Ann Aquirre. I came to really enjoy this science fiction series.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
4.25 Stars
“Here we sing to the stars. Deep in the dreaming, we have come and gone for many evers. Until the joining. Until journey’s end. Sing back to us when you come, so that we may know the silence is never eternal. Our sun, your stars, their gods, they have sailed in other skins, far beyond the dark and into the hollow, where all light sleeps.”

This book was such a beautiful surprise. I expected a fun space story with an interesting relationship between Zara, the main character, and Nadim
Vicky Who Reads
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, drcs, book-club
5 stars

Zara Cole, petty criminal with a past, chooses to live in New Detroit instead of moving to her family in Mars. She'd rather fend for herself than live inside a dome. But when Zara commits a crime that lands her in trouble, she might end up inside a dome after all--a prison shaped one, that is.

Luckily, Zara manages to escape this fate through the surprise announcement of her recruitment in the Honors program, an elite team of humans selected by the Leviathan, a race of sentient alien ships
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Update Nov 2017: Apparently, they scratched the psychiatric diagnosis from the premise (and made several other changes) – for those of you wondering why I talk about antisocial personality disorder in the preview below. Seems like a good call to me.

–––

I'm reasonably curious about this because girl falls in love with space ship like HELLO THERE INTRIGUING BOOK

However, I'm somewhat worried about the mental disorder depicted in Honor Among Thieves. I'm not sure why they call it antisocial disorder
Iris
I enjoyed this book?? I know I liked it. I just um... have no memory of it. This is largely my fault because I'm reviewing it two and half months late, but also this book was not at all memorable, so that sorta says something about this book too haha.

It had good characters. I liked them. The plot was cool. The world was semi memorable and cool.

I give up. This was good and worth reading but not memorable that is the review goodbye.

***Initial Reaction, November 6,2018***

I have no clue what on ea
ben
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 60%

Aside from Pines, I don't think I've ever turned a 180 on how I felt about a book so quickly.
This one blasted out of the gate with an awesome premise, interesting protagonist and good pacing, and I was already eyeing a spot on my top shelf for it, but then around the halfway mark it descended into a cringey superfriend book of feelings with insufferable YA snarky humour. Went from 100 to 0 real quick.
Maria V. Snyder
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a quick read and it reminded me of the Star Trek TNG episode with Tin Man - a sentient being/space ship. I really liked that episode and can see the appeal of traveling through space inside a sentient being. There's lots of questions about the Leviathans and plenty of mystery and plot twists. I wasn't as engaged with the characters - maybe if I knew more about what was at stake. I'm guessing that's what book 2 will be about.
Wanda
What a treat! I could barely put this book down and was almost late for the family Mothers Day celebration as a result.

The beginning was quite transparent—you have an Earth that has been contacted by aliens known as the Leviathan. Enormous whale-like interplanetary travelers, they can create spaces for humans inside their bodies and a small number of humans are chosen each year to go travel the stars with them. These people are known as the Honors and they are (by and large) star mathematicians
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbtq, scifi
I have never cared more for the romance between a sentient space-whale ship and a juvenile delinquent.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 stellar writing stars!

And long review incoming…. sorry folks! I have too much glee just to make it short. Now you’ve been warned!

Science fiction is usually not my “thing” (dystopian aside) but after reading all very convincing posts and review written by fellow blogger friends I gave it a first try months ago with Lifel1k3 by Jay Kristoff and I loved it! By the way I ordered the first book from the Illuminae series!

I could not leave it at that of course, overachiever that I am, and ordered o
3.5/5 stars

Honor Among Thieves is the first book in a new Young Adult science fiction series set in the future in the year 2142.

The book is divided into four parts.

The narrator is teenager Zara Cole (she is around 17-18). She is a petty criminal who lives on the streets of New Detroit. Her mom and sister live on Mars.

In this world there is something called the Honors. These are people who are selected to travel for a year in outer space. Nobody knows much about what happens to the Honors. But th
 ⇝LEAH⇜
3 Out of 5 mostly indifferent STARS

Full disclosure:  In the beginning, I was totally into this but once she (Zara) started "bonding" with the spaceship (Alien Life-form), I became more interested in winning the games of Free-Cell I was playing (while listening to audio) than in actually comprehending what was going on in this story.  The "bonding" threw me off, it was like an odd sexual experience reminiscent of the 80's movie Cocoon.

Freaky!

From there, I'm not fully sure what went on in thi
Karen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, sci-fi
See my full review and much more on my blog KissinBlueKaren

This story is about a kick-ass rebel named Zara who ends up being picked for the Honors program.

As an Honor, Zara will be sent into space for one-year. Her job will be tough as she and her fellow Honors will be working closely with (actually inside of) Leviathan, an alien ship species. The goal is to learn as much as she can exploring space while the Leviathan get to study our species. The thing is, Zara isn’t really interested in any
Mila
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars

I'm not an avid sci-fi reader; I tend to enjoy the ideas of these books but not so much the characters and the relationships. "Honor Among Thieves", though, did great in almost every aspect imaginable. And it didn't go the usual route as well.

Earth, 22nd century. 100 years ago humanity almost destroyed itself and plunged into eternal darkness. But from the same abyss of the space came an alien race called Leviathan. These giant ship-like creatures helped humans build a better civilisat
Sabrina
Checkout my full review on my blog! https://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot...

What a wonderful, amazing, and thoughtful book!! I can rave about this book all day long because I loved it. I really did. Nadim has a special place in my heart. This book is action packed from the start and there is never a dull moment. I actually had to stop reading this book for a couple of day because I was so consumed by this story and I didn't want it to end! The world building was complex yet unique. I loved the c
Tara
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, the writing is wonderful. You don’t want to put the book down. The relationship with Nadim and Zara is brilliant. Zara is amazing such a kick ass strong character. I don’t mean strong in the sense she’s unbeatable, but strong in the real sense she’s survived so much and doesn’t give up. This book is well worth reading, you should pick it up now ! Straight onto Honor Bound for me !
Aneta Bak
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, books-i-own
Zara Cole is a thief, living off of what she can steal and sell. Most people didn't choose this life, but Zara did. After escaping her abusive father, she was given the choice to either make it on her own, or to travel to Mars and live on a claustrophobic compound with her mother and sister. Thieving isn't always easy, especially when you steal from the wrong person. After Zara steals from Deluca's daughter, he sends men after her to get his possessions back. When the opportunity presents itself ...more
Brittany
Noooooooooooooooooooo..... Why is Book 2 not already in my hands? This was a wild, wonderful ride. I have some ideas about which parts were pure Ann that reminded me so much of Grimspace, but the powerhouse combination of both Ann Aguirre & Rachel Caine was a blessing to us all as readers.

I was a little meh... in the beginning, but not for long, and then I became so emotionally invested that I was ready to kill off characters and then forgive others and want new ones to die, and ahhh.... Boo

• Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)
  • Runaways: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • Ignite the Stars (Ignite the Stars, #1)
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • A Conspiracy of Stars (Faloiv, #1)
  • Aliens Abroad (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #16)
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Defy the Worlds (Constellation, #2)
  • This Splintered Silence

The Honors (3 books)
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)
“Someday, the stars will reach back.” 1 likes
“It’s what I hated about the whole world, back on Earth. All the rules you had to follow without knowing why, and if you asked, you got branded difficult and damaged. Well, I am difficult. I am damaged.” 1 likes