Start by marking “A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1)

A Whole New World

(Twisted Tales #1)

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  6,552 ratings  ·  1,320 reviews
Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways. Each book asks the question: What if one key moment from a familiar Disney film was changed? This dark and daring version of Aladdin twists the original story with the question: What if Jafar was the first one to summon the Genie?

When Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp, he uses his first
Published 2016 by Parragon Publishing (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Whole New World, please sign up.
Meredith If you enjoyed Isle of the Lost, you'll definitely love this one. I found IotL to be very juvenile, and while this book is obviously more…moreIf you enjoyed Isle of the Lost, you'll definitely love this one. I found IotL to be very juvenile, and while this book is obviously more middle-grade, it's more poetic and entertaining than it.(less)
Liz Cheshire well personally I haven't read Mockingjay so can't judge but it is a much much darker and more gruesome tale then Aladdin.

Emily May
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Whole New World, contrary to what I initially believed, is not really a retelling. Instead, it's more of a fan fiction that recreates the Disney film for the first approx. 25% - down to copying the exact dialogue in parts - but then changes a single element of the plot to spin the story in a new direction.

Being a fan of the Disney movie, I found myself saying some of the lines before the characters. And, the small prologue aside, we once again meet Aladdin in the market when he is stealing br
Lola
What if it were Jafar who summoned the genie? What if he became the new sultan, was granted a great power no one else could surpass and took complete control of the city of Agrabah?

Can you recognize your dearly loved fairy tale in this? I couldn’t. Certainly, the author’s purpose was to twist the story we all know about and give us a different version of it, a darker one. And it was. Darker, that is. I don’t recall gobs of ‘‘happy’’ scenes. When there were some, they were mostly featuring Aladdi
Natalie Monroe

I deleted my pre-review so you can't see, but I was super excited for A Whole New World. I put a gif with Aladdin throwing money and everything. I was ready to love it.

And it crushed that hope. Crushed it like Beyonce crushed at the VMAs.

Right up to 20%, practically one-fifth of the book, it was a near play-by-play replica of the Disney movie. Was this supposed to be an ad for the Disney movie? B
Faye, la Patata
What a disappointment this book turned out to be.

You know, when I requested for this book, I did it because I was really, really expecting a Disney movie retelling (wait, is that even allowed? Isn't there supposed to be some copyright thingy about modifying a well-known commercial masterpiece into something else? Can some lawyer clarify this for me, please?!) that would literally bring me a whole new world. You see, there is something that books can do better than movies - one of them is charact
Rose
Pre-read: Man, I want to read this so badly that it's not even funny.

"What if Jafar were the first one to summon the Genie", you say?

(note: this pre-review has no affiliation with Disney or this book, but I'm just entirely speculating)

*coughs*

Iago: Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know, lemme answer this one. PLEASE, I am BEGGING you.

Aladdin: (rubs the back of his neck) I don't think I wanna know the answer to this question...or Iago's answer either.

Iago: Come ON! I know this one! I'm raising my wing and getti
Darth J
Mar 27, 2015 marked it as no-longer-interested  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poor-pr-move

Ashley
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-arc, dnf
DNF at 49%

The first 25% was EXACTLY like the movie—frame by frame, line by line. It's like someone sat there watching the movie describing EVERY scene to me and regurgitating EVERY line of dialogue.

I get that this was an Aladdin retelling, but couldn't there have been some more variance? Yeesh.

At 25% things finally branch off into a totally new direction (that "what if" factor). But it didn't get any better...

* The characters were LITERALLY cardboard. Zero passion, zero development, zero everyth
Dannii Elle
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actual rating 2.5/5 stars.

This is the first instalment in a series of Disney retellings, penned by Liz Braswell. A Whole New World is the story of what would have happened to Aladdin if he were not the one to lay his hands on the magical lamp and acquire the power of the genie.

This, true to its design, had a true Disney feel to it. I'm not sure if I could really appreciate the comical cheesiness, that Disney does so well, in the written format, however. I grew accustomed to this style of penmans
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
Going through my tbr shelf and trying to weed some stuff out. This has a 3.35 avg rating??? Interesting. Apparently, it's a pretty literal re-telling of the Disney cartoon for at least the first part of the book. Seeing as how Aladdin is one I haven't seen all that much, I'll still try this one out.

Original post:

Rejected by Netgalley! :(

Guess I won't be reading this anytime soon. Maybe if it ever gets to my library one day.
Francesca
My actual rating is 3.5 stars but I rounded up to 4 for a few reasons.

1. Because of how much I enjoyed reading it. Is it a masterpiece of literature? No. But do you know what it is? FUN!

description

2. Because it has an insane amount of bad ratings and reviews. Seriously. Most of the other reviews seem to feel like this about the book:

description

which is fair enough. It's certainly not going to appeal to everyone. However, it is incredibly rare that I am on the side of liking something that everyone else seems to hate
Selene
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Disney Press for the advanced reading copy of A Whole New World by Liz Braswell. I can't wait to start this book and hope that I enjoy it after all those low reviews!

The first book in A Twisted Tale trilogy is a dark rendition of Aladdin. This story is about Jafar who steals a genie lamp. He uses his first two wishes to become sultan of Agrabah and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. The citizens of Agr
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I didn't like A Whole New World at all. I'll even go so far as to say that it's one of the worst books I have read this year so far. It really pains me to say so but this book was really a disappointment.

A huge part of this book was just like the movie. Maybe that isn't so bad but I was just so bored by it. Once the author started twisting the story it was less predictable but equally boring to me. The thing I disliked the most was the writing. It wasn't good at all. It was way too colorless and
Frankie Lovely
DNF at 37%

I will rant later ....

but just know ....

that I don't DNF lightly ... and yet here we are.
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
"Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways."

Please, give it to me.
Thibaut Nicodème
Mar 30, 2015 marked it as potential-snark  ·  review of another edition
Half of my interest is just jumping on the bandwagon.

The other half is because of the series title.

Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
This is the book 10YO Hannah has been begging for. If you were fans of Disney's Aladdin movie, you're going to LOVE this book.
Alyssa

Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

☣Lynn☣
After read:

This just proves that something is wrong with me. I really liked this one, a book that EVERYONE hates. And I do mean EVERYONE. I can't even find a four or even a three star review in the sea of one and two stars. I totally get why people hated this. Hell, I'd hate the fuck outa this if I read it last year. I'm trying not to be so picky and critical anymore. It's no fun picking out every fucking thing that bugs you while you read.

Anyway...I think what bugged most people was that for t
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
Apr 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Aladdin
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 55%.

Honestly? I hated the film. Absolutely hated Aladdin, the little thieving... Ahem. But I'll give this a chance. Twisting the story like the blurb promises? Sounds awesome.

Only it wasn't.

For a start, the first quarter of the story is exactly like that bloody film. EXACTLY LIKE IT. If I wanted to read fanfiction, I head on over to some fanfic site.

This book just grated on me.

I didn't like the tone, I didn't like the characters and I absolutely did not enjoy reading it.

Such a shame :(

But
Colleen Houck
The beginning starts off in a very similar fashion to the film. It was so close, it was like I was reading the screenplay, but then it veered sharply right after the Cave of Wonders. This is a much blacker, much more dangerous Jafar. If you thought he was creepy in the Disney movie you'd better prepare yourself. I liked seeing a more mature Aladdin and Jasmine but its also sad in a way. This book brings being a Street Rat into sharp focus and its not all singing and making buffoons of the soldie ...more
Cody
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, cover-love, 2015
“A Street Rat becomes a leader. A princess becomes a revolutionary. And readers will never look at the story of Aladdin in the same way again…”

That is if you haven’t seen the Disney movie.

So we're given a character role reversal in which Jafar is the first to summon the genie however the whole scenario leading up to this moment is virtually the same; Aladdin is tricked into retrieving the lamp by Jafar (disguised as an old beggar) which is located in a stone tiger cave in the desert.

Jafar is pre
This has the potential to be absolutely EPIC if it's done right!

Please, please let it be done right. I LOVE Aladdin & will be gutted if it all goes horribly wrong!
Sophia Sardothien
Thank you Netgalley and Disney press for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

Personally I can't really get through this book... The narration was a bit immature for me.

Star Rating System:
5 stars: LOVE LOVE LOVE The book is perfect
4 stars: LIKE LOVE LIKE The book is amazing but has it's flaws
3 stars: OKAY LIKE OKAY The book is interesting enough to read but did not love it
2 stars: NAH OKAY NAH The book is boring but manage to read it
1 stars: NAH NAH NAH The book is poor did not
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
O.O

Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp.
A Street Rat becomes a leader.
A princess becomes a revolutionary.

WANT!
Katie.dorny
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I was so excited to start this book because I loved previous Disney novelisations I had read. This one was crap. Genuinely so disappointed
It just didn’t have any oomph in it..does that make sense? It told a story that could have been amazing and twisted and shocking but instead it was just so incredibly lacklustre.
The characters were never really rounded out into believable people. The story was just this happened, then this, then this.
The beginning was the best part as it followed the movie.
T
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 25

Yeah, no. I'm going to spend my time on better stuff than this.

A Whole New World is basically a novelization of the animated Aladdin. If I want to watch Aladdin, I'll just watch Aladdin. I come to retellings for something new. I know, I know, Jafar's going to get the lamp first, and maybe something original will happen that. I can't vouch for that obviously.

What I can say is that, in the chapters I read, the characters are flatter than the animated characters on my tv. I get the fe
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I don't know for you, but back when I was a kid Aladdin was a huge hit. It brought us a piece of orient that for me, till then, was an unknown part of the world. Now years later I got familiar with it and while I hoped that A Whole New World would add more to my knowledge of it, sadly I cannot say it happened.

What the blurb promises you is a dark version of Aladdin and it certainly delivers. This is much, much darker version of it. There still is Aladdin an
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
I want to read this so bad! Aladdin was my life when I was a kid!!

Genie, I wish NetGalley would approve my request!

UPDATE:
Well, I didn't get accepted by Netgalley, but this book also doesn't have great reviews by the people who did read it. Guess I'm lucky that Disney didn't give me a copy, but I'm still kind of bummed. I really wanted to read a good Aladdin retelling. :(

• Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Never Never
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Stars (Wendy Darling, #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Hunter (Hunter, #1)
  • The Wanderers
  • When I Wake
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
After the sort of introverted childhood you would expect from a writer, Liz earned a degree in Egyptology at Brown University and then promptly spent the next ten years producing video games. Finally she caved into fate and wrote Snow and Rx under the name Tracy Lynn, followed by The Nine Lives of Chloe King series under her real name, because by then the assassins hunting her were all dead. She a ...more

Twisted Tales (6 books)
  • Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2)
  • As Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3)
  • Reflection (Twisted Tales, #4)
  • Part of Your World: A Twisted Tale
  • Mirror, Mirror: A Twisted Tale (Twisted Tales, #6)
“I cannot expect people to do for me what I cannot.” 5 likes
“Agrabah is yours."
"No," Jasmine said, looking out at the sea of guild leaders, and the thieves, and the genie, and all the people of her city.
"Agrabah is ours.”