Start by marking “The Book of Kindly Deaths” as Want to Read:

The Book of Kindly Deaths

Secrets. Magic. A Midnight Land of Monsters.

When Eliza Winter finds a hidden room in her missing grandfather’s Gothic house, her world is turned upside down. Inside, below a stained glass window where moonlight shines no matter the hour, awaits The Book of Kindly Deaths, a terrifying collection of darkly sinister tales.

Desperate for clues to solve her grandfather’s dis
Published April 28th 2016 (first published June 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Kindly Deaths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Kindly Deaths

Start your review of The Book of Kindly Deaths
Alexandra
** 3/2/18 FREE for Kindle version! If you like MG Fantasy snag this one! **

2 Cups original imagination from an obvious talent

1 Cup Grimm’s Fairy Tales

½ Cup Incorrigible children like those from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

1 pinch each disgusting, gross and weird

Fold in one plucky heroine, one missing grandfather, and one very mysteriously creepy book

Season with atmospheric description and deliciously creepy writing

Mix together and sprinkle lightly with gruesome details
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
THIS BOOK IS CURRENTLY FREE ON KINDLE! :D Not sure if it's for a limited time only, but it's free. Go get it!

The companion, One Dark Hallow's Eve: A Lost Tale from The Book of Kindly Deaths, is ALSO FREE at the moment. :D

Links:
One Dark Hallow's Eve: A Lost Tale from The Book of Kindly Deaths
Laurie McLean
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reminds me of the spookiness of Neil Gaiman's Coraline with a heavy dose of Lemony Snicket real world scares. Terrifying, but middle graders are going to love it. Stories within stories. Make sure you have a flashlight under your covers, kids!
Nancy
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this wonderful debut novel by Eldritch Black is the most shivery fun I’ve had in a good long while. How can a book this creepy be this charming?

Although the basic premise (an adventurous quest by an adolescent girl who comes to possess a magic book that can alter reality and allow strange beings to cross between worlds) at first made me think of Cornelia Funke’s Inkheart trilogy, The Book of Kindly Deaths is darker, spookier, and altogether more original.

The varied cast of characters an
Amy
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the lovely Estelle emailed me about THE BOOK OF KINDLY DEATHS, I was immediately excited. First of all, as I’m sure most of you know, I LOVE the middle grades. I love reading about enterprising, brave young ‘uns who get to go on all these amazing adventures, whether in a fantasy realm or in real life. Second of all, Eldritch Black’s debut sounded imaginative and dark and the idea of reading about a young girl with a creepy book appealed to me, as stories about books usually do. I’m so glad ...more
Arkham Reviews
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I very much enjoyed this novel.

The story is incredibly dark, reading like a cross between Coraline, A Series of Unfortunate Events and the work of H.P. Lovecraft. Its not the most pleasant reads at time as its filled with grotesque and unsettling imagery (with plenty of bad things happening to good people), making it a fantastic light read for a horror-loving young adult.

The Grimwytch was a really imaginative world. I loved how the surreality of it was offset by the references to familiar things
Sara
--A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.--

When I first came across this book, the title itself caught my attention (along with the author's name – Eldritch Black - which is rather cool!) and that was a huge draw to wanting to read and review it. I fell into in to the flow of the story quite easily from the opening paragraphs, which served to set the tone for the rest of the novel. In my mind, it was very atmospheric, with a certain level of
Kelly Hager
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the concept behind this book! It reminds me of one of the first horror movies I ever saw, I, Madman, which has the idea that the books we read may become real and that things would maybe not be as awesome as we may expect. (In the Mouth of Madness is similar.)

But this is not quite the same thing. This is a middlegrade novel and while parts are certainly creepy, it's appropriate for anyone who enjoys Goosebumps (and I find this much more fun and better written).

I devoured this b
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
Originally reviewed on Books Take You Places

When my friend and fellow blogger Estelle reached out to ask me if I wanted to read and review The Book of Kindly Deaths by Eldritch Black I was a bit hesitant due to time and responsibilities and ya know, life. But when she told me that it was being geared toward fans of Neil Gaiman, my interest was immediately piqued. Then I read the synopsis and realized that the gal was right, the book was right up my alley. Many thanks to Estelle, Eldritch Black,
Lisa Schensted
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that Eliza Winter is a helluva lot more brave than I am. After I read the first story in that creepy book she found in a hidden room I'd be like OKAY A STORY ABOUT MOUTH STEALERS I AM OUT OF HERE KBYEEEE.

But something about the book, and I dare say Eliza's courage, kept her reading. Which is pretty great because, you know, if she didn't the book would have been like 8 pages long.

Anyway, Eliza doesn't let her mom's constant dampening of her imagination hold her down! She doesn't W
Michelle Bacon
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was such a cute book that contained a bunch of smaller stories about a wretched land called Grymwytch. Eliza's grandfather has gone missing and a curious book has invited Eliza to come inside of it's pages where she finds horrible stories as well as her grand father. a fun, quick read that is ideal for the Halloween season.
Ann
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Eldritch Black is a superior story teller! Every character is brought fully to life with very few words, and what a delightfully creepy cast of characters he's written. Not all are scabrous villians of course. It's a finely written tapestry of worlds and people, believable and yet so extraordinarily unique we just know it could never be....or could it? Dread and darkness become softly beautiful while a cheery home becomes a frightening place. I'd rather not reference anything ...more
Michelle VanDaley
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the audiobook. This was an interesting story that had me captivated from the start. The descriptive writing allowed me to easily visualize the story taking place. The narrator is fantastic. I really enjoy how he brings the story to life with his distinct character voices
Tanya Johnson
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Winter has come to her grandfather's house with her parents after he comes missing. While there Eliza remembers he had a secret room so she decides to explore to find it. After finding the room she stumbles upon a book that opens up to the first page and it is then that she decides she will read it knowing her mom won't approve. Once she starts reading the stories, Eliza feels that they are more than just stories that they seem real. Her journey starts once she stops reading the stories an ...more
Kate Hood
Whilst I loved the premise and the dark story telling, I found the writing very repetitive. Terrible overuse of stench, putrid, reek, rancid, gag and retch! We get it, the place and all it's inhabitants smelt bad!
Jennifer DeCuir
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Reviewing on behalf of my 11 yr who read this book)
I absolutely loved it! Just the right amount of scary. It kept me on the edge of my seat! I especially liked how in depth the author was when describing Grimwytch. An amazing story - I definitely recommend it!
Jeremy Beitz
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
While the second half of the book was great, the first half just killed it for me. I do understand what the author was trying to do, but for me it made the story a little harder to follow. It would have worked better for me, if it would have been done differently.
Jim
Sep 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 70% in...
I was expecting so much more from this, and kept reading until I just could not figure out what the absolute fuck was going on, or where/how it would end, and finally accepting I really couldn't care less. I could make up my own ending and it would probably be way more gory, awful and dismember-y than whatever middling harum-scarum fake-spooky likely happyending on the way. I will grant there is some surface-level creepy shit-ideas going on here, but the tale itself never scared m
Fee Roberts
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Book of Kindly Deaths by Eldritch Black is a story about Eliza Winter and the mysterious hidden room in her grandfather's house. Desperate for clues, Eliza opens a book in hopes of finding her missing grandfather.

Plot 5/5: A very interesting plot that I hadn't come across in my reading before.

Characters 5/5: The characters are interesting and peculiar.

World building 5/5: An interesting world with vivid descriptions.

Pacing 4/5: This story has a steady pace.

Writing 4/5: The writing was good.

Ov
TJ Szklar
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: need-review
Brenna
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun read!

I was very emotionally invested in the characters starting quite early in the book and that makes for an enjoyable read. Nothing worse than wasting action on characters who you cannot find it in yourself to worry about. I especially like that the main character is level headed and intelligent, but also brave and cares what happens to others even if she doesn't understand them.
Deedra
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audible:I LOVED it!This book is wonderful!It reminded me of a Neil Gaiman story.What would you do for a book to re write a bad death into a kindly one?How about if you could have your fondest wish for something you never use anyway? Think about that while reading this tale with the lights on! Hannibal Hills was the perfect narrator. I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Ashley
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I was given this book in exchange for an honest review*
LOVED listening to this story! It was a story that I had a hard time putting down. It had me rooting for Eliza and Shard... hoping for Tom's saftey.... The different monsters Black describes had my skin crawling.. Plan to read more of Black's books. I think I found another favorite author!
Mandy
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free at my request but the opinion is of my own. Eliza suddenly finds a mysterious book about tales with sad endings. Thinking not much of it until suddenly she finds herself in her grandfathers house and he’s been gone for awhile. She’s than transported to another world where things are darker and more stranger than her world. Best pick for narrator.
Sifi Zonkoid
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, although it took a while for Eliza to get going, the stories leading up to this were enjoyable dark fairy tales and then bam! Monsters everywhere!

The Grim's were very powerful and I wonder about their origin. I liked Shard and his gritty determination, as well as his balanced view of himself as to whether or not he is capable. Grimwytch is not a good place to be wandering around alone and monsters getting into our world is a very real possibility.

I would like to see a
Nellie Bean
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was adorably creepy. I found this through audioboom, and listened to the audio on my commute. I loved that these stories were cute, gross, creepy, and kept me coming back. I'll never look at dust the same way again. 😂
Joelle
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I almost stopped reading this because I found the first part hard to slog through. Interesting stories from the book of kindly deaths, but little action or development with the main character gave me little reason to care. Once her story picked up, I enjoyed the book more.
Jessica
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book of Kindly Deaths

I couldn’t put this one down. Just like Eldritch Black’s other writings, this is dark, entertaining, and hard to put down. I enjoyed the story within a story that this book offers. It’s unique and I will read it again. My favorite one by Black so far.
Nancy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea. Rather nasty in spots, which I think the author would be happy to hear. If you like very ghoulish things, you will like this book.
Charlotte
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If I rated the book halfway in, I probably would have given it only 3 stars, as it is, I enjoyed the later half more.

This story starts off with the main protagonist discovering the book. While she deals with issues in her real life, she also reads the stories described inside the book. Some authors can do this well, having stories with the main story. However, I didn't enjoy these mini-stories very much. I was unable to become attached to the characters in these stories (who were often unlikeab

• The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place
  • The Last Panther
  • The Gravedigger's Son
  • Which Witch?
  • The Orangefield Cycle Omnibus
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • The Gryphon's Lair (A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying, #2)
  • The Land of Roar
  • Deeplight
  • Worth Her Weight in Gold (River of Teeth, #0.5)
  • Skunk and Badger (Skunk and Badger, #1)
  • How to Bee