Start by marking “The Optician's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Optician's Wife

The Optician's Wife

Can you ever really know someone?

Then a series of grisly murders cast a shadow over everything.

Published June 18th 2016 by Bloodhound Books (first published February 1st 2014)

Miriam Smith
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept-book, signed
I have heard so much about Betsy Reavley and 'The Opticians Wife' from fellow book readers and friends I just had to read it for myself....and I was not disappointed!!
From the very first page the emotional tension I was feeling was palpable, drawing me in further and further, you just knew there was a underlying story buried beneath the chapters. The threatening atmosphere had me frustrated and stunned at what goes on behind closed doors.
The Opticians Wife is about quiet, shy, unassuming 17 yea
Joanne Robertson
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is one of those books that you finish and then immediately want to shout about it to everyone and discuss with others who have also read it! As I finished whilst in bed during the early hours, I wasn't able to do that straight away although I desperately wanted to shake my husband awake to tell him all about this shockingly realistic psychological thriller that I had just finished. I didn't in the end but I really wish I had as I had an awful nights sleep afterwards with scenes from th ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was my first book ever read by author Betsy Reavley but it is not going to be my last. This was a really interesting psychological thriller with a number of different layers to it. The scene is set very early in the book that something is not adding up right and that underlying wave of suspense is very present. You just know that things are going to take some turns that you might not be expecting.

An engaging plot with a damaged, flawed main character that you will love to hate or hate to lo
Alan Cotterell
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Wow!!!

Wasn't sure what to expect, when I downloaded this book. Never really heard of the author before. But wow what a story, so many twists right up to the end. Will definitely be looking out for more books by Betty.
Janet
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
A dowdy young woman meets slightly older, fairly good looking guy. Having lost her mother when she was 12, Deborah is forced to look after her younger sister and a drunkard of a father. Lacking style and sophistication her young life has fallen into a rut; working in a store and following the same routine day after day. Larry, an optician in the making, comes along one day and gradually sweeps her off her feet. She is overjoyed that someone as handsome and charismatic as Larry could fall for som ...more
Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡
☆☆☆☆ 4.5 "Windows to the Soul Stars ☆☆☆☆

photo PicsArt_08-07-05.03.19_zpseoydy7bf.jpg

Deborah has always been a nobody. Her mother died when she was young and she took over the "motherly" duties taking care of her drunken father and the family prize, her sister Dawn. Deborah goes about life meek and quiet, hiding in the shadows to avoid attention.

Then she meets Larry and everything changes.

"I'd met Larry and my whole world changed. I got married, became a mother, and then...Then I started to make money another way."

Larry is Mr. Suave.
Lee
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a quick read at only 225 pages.Seventeen year old Deborah is naïve, quiet and vulnerable when she meets Larry who is everything she isn't, good looking, out going and full of personality. Larry is currently training to be an optician and after a short courtship he and Deborah marry, buy a house and have children. Reavely has written a very dark and suspenseful story that moves along at a fast pace and keeps you turning the pages. Most of the characters are quite unlikeable and I found De ...more
Tracy Fenton
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fabulously dark and twisted psychological thriller which kept me gripped and on the edge of my seat from start to finish. I read this book within a day and highly recommend it. Full of rather unlikeable and disturbed characters this book kept me reading way past my bed time and I can't wait to read more from this author.
The Book Review Café
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don’t you just love it when you pick up a book and it blows you away, well Betsy Reavley has managed to do just that with a book that’s absolutely filled with suspense and intrigue. Deborah a gauche and naive seventeen year old meets debonair and charismatic Larry, a trainee Optometrist. Deborah soon falls for Larry’s charm, and so begins a relationship that is both obsessive and dangerous. I have to say that I really didn’t like either of the characters, in fact I found them despicable and dist ...more
BookwormDH
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you ever really know someone?

Then a series of grisly murders cast a shadow over everything.

A compelling, psychological thriller that unpicks what goes on behind closed doors and reminds
Bookread2day
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I seem to love Bloodhound books. The Optician's Wife is A fully twisted psychological thriller that grabs you from the very first page right up to last page. Buy it for a present for someone and they won't be disappointed. Young seventeen-year-old plain looking Deborah working in Woolworth meets good looking Larry, who works as an Optician and he gives her the nicest compliments. But she doesn't understand what the charming Larry sees in her. Deborah becomes married to the changed controlling, L
The Badger
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The progression of this relationship was:

Infatuation...
Awkward dating...
Speed-marriage...
Money/baby stress...
New house...
Behind on new TV payment...
HOLY FUCK!!!
...and anything "normal" just went downhill from there.

Bylgjas
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say?
This book is so different from anything I’ve ever read.

Disturbing eerie characters.

Just read it!
JESSICA
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I almost DNF... But I had to see what happened... At 45% (this book started to piss me the f*ck out) I gave an extra star for the twisted ending (didn't see that coming.) Now, I need to go put my kindle down before I smash it against the frickin wall!
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Having read The Quiet Ones not so long ago by the same author, I knew I would be in for a disturbing but enjoyable read and I wasn’t wrong.

Deborah is one of those quiet mousy types of girl that you would probably forget as soon as you met her. When Larry meets her, it isn’t long before he takes her under his wing and turns her into his own creation.

I really liked Deborah to start with but have to admit as the story goes on she becomes quite hardened and even though I felt quite sorry for her at
Shell Baker
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all I really do not know where to start with this review. This is actually the moment where I just want to tell the world how good this book is and for everyone to read it. I just loved it. Even after thinking where is this story going what can I stay other than it totally blew me away!

The Story is inspired by true events so straight away I thought this is going to be a good read but when the story takes a surprising turn that I didn't see coming I have to say it is absolutely flipping
Tammy
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I only give 5 stars to the books that I carry around with me just in case I get a minute to read and this was one of those books. I devoured this book in two days which is not like me. I may even go back and read the last two chapters again so I can really absorb what the hell just happened. The best $2.99 I have ever spent!
Emma
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is going to be a very difficult review to write. And I don’t mean that in a negative way, there are so many amazing things I could say about this book. It’s more to do with spoilers and wanting YOU to enjoy this book as much as I did. Why don’t you go and buy a copy and then I don’t have to worry about saying something I shouldn’t!

It’s the early 1980’s. Deborah considers herself rather insignificant and unimportant. She lost her mother several years ago and being the eldest daughte
Liz
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Eva
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
You know how you walk into a room and can feel the tension in the air? Realizing that one false move or word will end up with somethingsomething hitting the fan?

That's what this book is. There is this constant current of tension bubbling away under the surface and you just know something is coming. You may not know what it will be, but you do know it won't be anything good.

Seventeen year old Deborah hasn't had an easy life so far. Her mother died five years ago and since then Deborah has been ta
Mandy White
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Wow.. that ending! My goodness this is a good book.... I didnt want to stop listening to it, I needed to know what happens next!! Will be looking out for more from this author for sure.
Aileen Mckenzie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“When Deborah, an unpopular seventeen-year-old, meets the charming and handsome Larry, he sweeps her off her feet. The trouble is Larry has a secret.

Then a series of grisly murders cast a shadow over everything.

As Deborah’s world starts to fall apart she begins to suspect the man she loves of a terrible betrayal. And to keep their marriage alive, sacrifices must be made.”

I was a little apprehensive about reading this, having recently read Invisible and The Widow with similar sounding synopsis’ h
Tracie Delaney
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My current obsession with brilliant psychological thrillers continues with The Optician’s Wife, another recommendation from THE Book Club on Facebook.

Deborah is a rather unpopular seventeen year old whose life is going nowhere fast. Her mother died leaving her to bring up her younger sister whilst her father drinks himself into oblivion. But Deborah’s life changes when she meets Larry, a handsome young man several years her senior who, in Deborah’s eyes, is going somewhere.

Larry saves Deborah (o
Joy Mutter
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Betsy Reavley has recently found her way up there on the list of my favourite authors. I finished reading The Optician’s Wife last night in bed, and what an ending it was! Let’s just say I didn’t get to sleep for a while afterward as it built to an unexpected climax that made me keep the bedside light on. As I dislike reviews that give away the endings of books I’ll say no more, save to say the author pulls no punches and succeeded in shocking this reader, in a good way. I want to say far more a ...more
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
I rarely get to read a book that I have bought, but I was hearing so much about The Optician's Wife that I really wanted to read it, so when I was on holiday I took a break from reading ARCs.

I do like crime books and I do read a lot of fairly gruesome things, but The Optician's Wife was really very graphic. I didn't have a problem with that, but some might, others will love it!

Deborah is just your normal teenager, she doesn't have many friends and doesn't like living at home. So when she meets
Moranne Reid
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to be able to review a copy of this fantastic book by Betsy Reavley prior to publication. Thank you to TBC for that privilege! I don't want to put any spoilers here so I will just talk about my thoughts of the characters and plot. At the start of the book I really felt for the main character Dee, being shy and introverted...and I was so happy when she met Larry. Throughout the story my feelings towards both key characters changed in several ways. The twists and turns in the plot blew ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
A big thank you to Betsy for letting me read and review her book!
The Opticians Wife will be released on June the 18th and I would highly recommend you pre-order or buy it as this is a story you do not want to miss! I awarded five stars as I was hooked throughout and really enjoyed it. I can even imagine this story being turned into a film. There is a MASSIVE twist to this story that even I did not expect, but I will not be giving anything away as I will let you find out for yourself. I could not
Jackie Roche
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this. An absolutely jaw-dropping book.
Will write a full review when my heart stops going 19 to the dozen!
Now that I've calmed down (although I' still thinking of the ending) , I would like to thank David and the author Betsy Reavley for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest and open review.
What a jaw-dropping book! I was grabbed at page one and it didn't let go until the final page.
Be warned! Once you start reading this your life will be put on hold as it
Alexina
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up to read and have read it in one go, okay, nearly...I put it down a few times to savour the writing.

I have read darker books, however the pace of this book was spine chilling. I wasn't quite sure where it was going to lead to at the beginning.

The description of Cambridge in the 80's is spot on. I miss Woolworths! Reading this knowing it was fiction, but believing that I didn't hear about it growing up....made this book more.

One to highly recommend. A great paced page turner.

Tha
Agnès
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Good read, although main character is pretty disturbing but at least she was intriguing and kept me going until the end. Big disappointment in terms of grammar, misspelling, missing words etc.
This happens in practically the whole book and it's a shame no one seems to have read it or reviewed it before it got published.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Blind
  • Lying To You
  • Ghosting
  • Travel Wings: An Adventure
  • Mommy’s Little Soldier: A troubled child. An absent mom. A shocking secret.
  • Beyond the Steel Wall
  • Play the Forest School Way: Woodland Games and Crafts for Adventurous Kids
  • Taken
  • Walk Away (Camaro Espinoza, #2)
  • The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • All Aboard
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Uncaged
  • At Risk
  • Majestic and Wild: True Stories of Faith and Adventure in the Great Outdoors
  • Birdy
  • The Boat
Betsy Freeman Reavley is the author of Beneath the Watery Moon and A Worm in the Bottle. Carrion, her latest psychological thriller will be released in November 2014.
She was born in Hammersmith, London.
As a child she moved around frequently with her family, spending time in London, Provence, Tuscany, Gloucestershire and Cambridgeshire.
She showed a flair for literature and writing from a young ag
“dreaded the thought of Larry being hurt by other inmates” 1 likes