Start by marking “The Missing Piece Meets the Big O” as Want to Read:

(The Missing Piece #2)

The missing piece sat alone
waiting for someone
to come along
and take it somewhere....

The different ones it encounters - and what it discovers in its helplessness - are portrayed with simplicity and compassion in the words and drawings of Shel Silverstein.

Hardcover, 25th Anniversary Edition, 104 pages
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Piece Meets the Big O, please sign up.
Jajabo Not that I know of. This is a book about romantic relationships. In fact, the best I've ever read. :-)

Start your review of The Missing Piece Meets the Big O
Ahmad Sharabiani
The missing piece meets the big o, Shel Silverstein
The Missing Piece is a children’s picture book by poet Shel Silverstein. First publication date
1976. The story centers on a circular animal-like creature that is missing a wedge-shaped piece of itself. It doesn’t like this, and sets out to find its missing piece, singing:
Oh, I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
I'm lookin' for my missin' piece
Hi-dee-ho, here I go
lookin' for my missin' piece
It starts out on a grand adventure searching for the perfect
Jana
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
If you learn how to appreciate and love yourself and if you make an effort to learn who you are, you will be able to do whatever you want to do and people will see who you really are.

But understand a few things: 1. Self pity is not attractive. 2. Being alone is not shameful. Being alone with your thoughts is one of the hardest things you will have to learn in life. 3. You cannot expect from other people to fill your empty holes. 4. Don't be a human parasite ivy or a mistletoe. 5. Be prepared to
Spencer Orey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Fun read with a surprisingly deep message for kids about being whole in yourself in relationships. Really well done.
Cory
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book for those trying to find someone to "Complete Them." This book will show you that there's no such thing! It totally changed the way that I saw looking for the love of my life. In fact after reading this book I found my husband 2 months later! Read it and you too may find that special someone to "Roll" with. Guaranteed! Or you money back.
Zidane Abdollahi
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
''But I have sharp corners'' said the missing piece
"I am not shaped for rolling"

"Corners wear off"
said the Big O
" and shapes changes." :))
Jo
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Even if I had been actively searching for metaphors to describe how I needed to start living my life, in the summer of 2007 when I first read this book, I could not have jumped up and down any more excitedly or cried any more profusely over this strangely moving epic tale of geometrical shapes, masquerading as a children's story. I actually cried probably the first ten times I read it. Then I started doing something I have never done with another book: buying it and giving it to everyone who did ...more
Anahita
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love this book and its message. It's so good.
Scarlet Cameo
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!

English review at the bottom

"- I didn't know you were going to grow
- I didn't know either"

¿Cómo es que una historia tan pequeña puede tener tanta sabiduría?

"The missing piece" nos habla acerca de las relaciones (amistades, pero principalmente amorosas) y ante todo trata de independencia y autoestima (no como concepto, sino como actitud) y de cómo estar faltos de ambas cosas puede lastimarnos. De como la desesperación puede hacer que las cosas sean más dificil y de como, muchas veces, podem
Utkarsh
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Amazing little story about love and life. it's a picture story you can finish in five minutes but it will stay with you forever. must read for everyone.

The missing piece sat alone...

waiting for someone
to come along
and take it somewhere.
Dimitris Hall
Some books just meet your life like passing comets. You can't possibly predict their coming or the respective impact they're going to have on you, but there they go, shooting across the night-sky of your life. Spectacularly... It's almost as if they become so important for you precisely because they come out of nowhere.

It was the same with this little book. It was a nice day in Kerkyra a few weeks ago. Me and a couple of newly-met friends wanted to go somewhere for a "coffee" (raki with honey as
Emiley
Jun 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
I suppose you could read this with a feminist eye, but I just enjoy the pictures and the story. I was touched by the transformation of the Missing Piece from a dependent personality searching for its exact complement to an independent piece that can (eventually) roll alongside its lifelong friend.
Cheryl
Nov 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was reintroduced to this book in the summer of 1996 when I had to take a Psychology 101 class at Mount SAC (San Antonio College) in Walnut, to get some advanced college credit. Our professor went thru this book and compared it to the process of relationships and I never looked at it the same again. Good children's book in that sense or just a simple way to look at relationships.
Rania G
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-of-all-ages
The need to be loved is the theme of this little metaphor and the wrong ways that people come about it.Mostly when we feel alone from companionship and feel that a piece is missing, this piece is our need.Others wait to be noticed, others try to attract attention to themselves, others try to fill the void with others but they too miss pieces......all the wrong ways but at the end the little piece finds the way.
Peacegal
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
While it wasn't quite the epic The Missing Piece, The Big O is nevertheless a great, thought-provoking sequel. Once again, we have what is ostensibly a children's book about sentient shapes, but is in actuality a story of human relationships.

Correctly or not, I imagined "the missing piece" to be female. After being dropped in the previous story, the piece sits around waiting to be picked up and made whole again. However, all of the shapes who roll by just aren't right. Women will no doubt laugh
Vonia
What can I say about this? Genius.

“How is it that little children are so intelligent and men so stupid? It must be education that does it.” - Alexandre Dumas

Case in point.

True love does not complete us. It does not fit perfectly like two puzzle pieces. It holds us up, we grow together, we love, we make each other stronger, better, more loving individuals. We are equals. We become a "we" that love fully.

Anna
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
Nothing special, but fine. I prefer "The Missing Piece".
sarah
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iconic
even better than the first book, if that's even possible. best ending.
Jordan Davidson
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-355
Shel Silverstein
HarperCollins Publishers, 1981

Summary: The titular “missing piece,” a triangular wedge rendered in black-and-white drawings, is searching for something it can fit into and travel with. The piece tries to attract the attention of others in many ways, such as by making a spectacle of itself and by trying to make itself look more attractive to passerby. It eventually finds an almost-whole that it thinks it can fit into, but eventually it grows and su
Fani
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that book!!! It's amazing how can an author using only two very simple shapes such us this of the triangle and the circle describe the human relationships. When i saw the cover of this book i thought it was just a comic to past time but when i read it i was so pleased to discover that the story had a very deep meaning. Everyone should and can read this book since it's a very short story and it can teach you a lot!
Emily Shull
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life...really.
Marwa
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A gentle reminder that the best relationships don’t complete us but let us grow and become more fully ourselves.
Dee's Reading Zone
'The Missing Piece Meet the Big O" by the late Shel Silverstein was a relationship story told with a fable twist that gave the reader a life lesson denoting that even the best relationships can't make you whole or complete because you have to love yourself first!

I loved this message meant for kids and adults alike!

“I was hoping that perhaps I could roll with you..." "You cannot roll with me," said the Big O, "but perhaps you can roll by yourself.”

'The missing piece tries to make itself more att
Nikki
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my fav. books is the giving tree. I don't know why I never thought to read more from Shel Silverstein. Probably because I didn't really start to read until I was about 25. I always regret never having an interest to read as a child, maybe if someone would have introduced me to these types of books, I would have. But now that I am 42, there is still so many books to discover. :) This is such a simple but literally moving story that really makes you think and feel...that nobody completes yo ...more
Michelle
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and its message. I'm surprised this is the first time it crossed my path!
Aja
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Birthday gift from Brittany.
R.K. Cowles
Shelves: 2018
An excellent equal.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a powerful message of both warning and empowerment. You are enough! I read this one for a college course and borrowed it from the library but I may need to have my own copy.
Alison
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember reading this book as a child - or ever - and am very glad I had to read it for my Child Lit class. Shel Silverstein is genius to tell such a profound truth with such simple text and rudimentary illustrations. If you need to be reminded that the power to change and become better can only be found deep within you... then you should pick up this book!
heidi
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some children's books are meant to be re-read when we're all grown up and and wiser and possibly a little broken. This book is one of them.

I'm reading this in a café with tears in my eyes (hoping I'm not being too obvious).

This story will always be beautiful to me.

• Round Trip
  • Veronica's Room
  • Heckedy Peg
  • سه‌گانه‌ی خاورمیانه: جنگ عشق تنهایی
  • پیامبر و دیوانه
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.

The Missing Piece (2 books)
  • The Missing Piece (The Missing Piece, #1)