Start by marking “My Sister the Moon (Ivory Carver, #2)” as Want to Read:
My Sister the Moon (Ivory Carver, #2)

My Sister the Moon

(Ivory Carver #2)

In prehistoric Alaska, an Aleut girl, unwanted and abused, changes the destiny of her tribe.

Gray Bird wanted only sons. His daughter, Kiin, would have been killed at birth to make way for a male heir if not for the tribal chief, Kayugh, who claimed the infant as a future wife for one of his two young sons. Sixteen years later, Kiin is caught between the two brothers: on
Published September 3rd 1995 by Avon (first published February 13th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister the Moon

Janie
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying that Native American prehistory is not one of my interests. The Ivory Carver Trilogy, by Sue Harrison, is set in pre-historic Alaska, in the Aleutian Islands. They are proof positive that a good story trumps a reader’s preference for setting. After reading Mother Earth, Father Sky, the first book of the series ( read my review ) there was no question that I had to move on to My Sister the Moon.

The novel
Bren
― Sue Harrison, My Sister the Moon

3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this Native American tale about Kiin, told during PreHistoric times. It is apparently part of a series although I did not know that when I started reading it.

The book is painful at times. Her story is not a happy one. In fact, this is one of those books where the bad things just keep piling on. I loved reading about
Amanda
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the series with MOTHER EARTH, FATHER SKY and MY SISTER THE MOON...
I bought it at a thrift store... it was way better than I thougth it would be...
E. Hughes
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I had to name a favorite book, I would name My Sister the Moon. My Sister the Moon is the second installment in a trilogy beginning with Mother Earth, Father Sky, and ending with Brother Wind. I first read it, my eyes glued to every page when I was 17 years old, sometimes in the early 90s. I eventually read the book again with adult eyes a couple of years ago and loved it even more.

My Sister the Moon is an adventurous story filled with heartbreak, adventure and triumph. It tells t
Ray Perreault
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: complete
I enjoyed this book. It was well written and the character were well developed. I like historical fiction and this painted an exciting picture of what life would have like along the Aleutian Islands. I've been to a number of museums in the Northwest and this story helped to bring life to what I saw.

I suggest this book strongly to anyone that enjoys this type of novel.
Kristin
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Harrison's Ivory Carver series, and I liked it about as much as I liked the first one, which was quite a lot. This one follows the story of Kiin, the much abused daughter of the evil Gray Bird from the first book. Reviled by her father for not being male yet saved from death by the kindness of Kayugh, husband of Chagak, who promises his son Amgigh as husband for Kiin. Chagak is a secondary character in this book, but I grew to love the character of Kiin, and her triump ...more
Mindy
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any girl
Recommended to Mindy by: my step mom
Shelves: indian-novels
This is the continuation of Mother Earth Father Sky and kinda follows into the story with the main characters children. Also the main character is a woman. They really went through a lot. It makes you appreciate being born here and now when women are of value and don't have to fight for their life.
Elly Harding
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
graphic but somehow i just had to know what was going to happen...so i finished it. it's a nice story and a setting uncommon to most books
Mawgojzeta
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fiction
The second book in the "Ivory Carver Trilogy" and holds up quite well.
Kendra
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it

I just read My Sister the Moon for the second time in 25 years. I didn't remember the details of the story so I enjoyed the book as if it were a first-time read. The 2nd book in the Ivory Carver Series isn't as quick a read as Mother Earth Father Sky but the story is engaging and the characters are well developed. The landscape of the ancient Alaskan Aleutian Chain is almost a character itself. The reason I can't love this book is because of the extreme heartache and sadness surrounding the main charac

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu
A well developed story with many nods to the culture and lifestyles of prehistoric people in North America. The story delves into such topics as marital relations, parental relations, tribal relations, religion, the natural world, and conflict resolution.
I can't say I was very happy with the ending of the story or some of the choices made by the characters, but the story is reflective of a different time and customs.
I'll continue onward to the last book in the series.
3.5 Stars
Deborah
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The 2nd in a trilogy, the story concept is similar to clan of the cave bear. Although I read all 3 books and enjoyed some of the Native Alaskan tribal history and legends, I struggled with the contemporary concepts grasped by people of 7000 years ago - such as identifying as aunt by blood relationship.
Katelyn Vanhaitsma
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this multiple times, but this was the first time I've listened on audio. This made a huge difference in the story, and totally transported me. The pronunciations I had gotten wrong so many times were wonderful to hear. Loved this. Sue Harrison is an exceptional author, and her books in the spoken word are next level.
Rondi Olson
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're thinking about reading this book, it's probably because you enjoyed the first book in this series. You won't be disappointed with this second volume. Again, the attention to detail is meticulous, the characters are interesting and sympathetic.

You may wish the book ended a few chapters earlier than it does, but that's what the third book is for, right?

Kate H
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy historical fiction and find it to be quite a good read as long as you remember that it is someone's interpretation of the past and should not be taken as 100% true fact. The writing style of this series is quite good and I really felt invested in the characters and their personal stories. I find this series to be a perfect summer beach read.
Linda Humberstone
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another well written novel featuring the early native American peoples. This story really does give a believable picture as to how these early small communities lived, traded with each other and learned different skills.
maria seilius
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in this trilogy by Sue Harrison and I couldn't put it down . Not only are the books engrossing because of the storyline they are an educational feast due to the research that has been done by the author .
Karen
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love pre-historical fiction especially when someone takes the time to do the research necessary for a book of fiction to be entirely plausible. I like that this book continues with previous characters and adds additional developing characters.
Leviatheninutero
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I just could not finish this.
Maggie
Another great book in the Ivory Carver trilogy. I enjoyed reading about Kiin. But I wasn't too happy about the ending. Still, a great read. I am now reading the third book.
Sonja
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Very good book. I like these "old time" books. I have read this one in Finnish as well long time ago but didn't remember much anymore.
Lanie
much better than the first, and WAY better than the last few Earth's Children novels. i liked most of the characters. a few were kinda of flat. you know what i'm talking about. they're a bad guy, but they don't really have a good reason for being bad. like Kiin's younger brother! what was his motivation? he was lazy and his dad had fed him lies his whole life about how his sister was greedy? pretty boring. but in the end, i was glad with the end of his story line. that bastard totally got what w ...more
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
My Sister the Moon is the second book in the Ivory Carver Trilogy by Sue Harrison. It picks up several years after the first book and follows the same tribe that was formed with Chagak, although the book doesn't focus on her this time.

This time it focuses on Kiin, who is only named part of the way into the book because she is so despised by her father. Instead of being left for dead as an infant, the leader of the tribe decided to betroth his son to her and thus force her father to l
Laurel
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
My Sister the Moon is just as compelling as Mother Earth, Father Sky. It gets three stars from me instead of four because I find it so devoid of happiness.

Maybe life in those days was pretty much depressing, yet we see in other characters some reasonable sense of happiness, some balance between tragedy and fulfillment.

But to be a Harrison protagonist seems to equate to a life as a series of tragedies. I just want yell, "Oh come on, give the girl a break !"

Interesting plots, great c
Lyndsay
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've never read any fiction about prehistoric Inuit culture, and though I do have some historical knowledge of it (though very limited), this book left me feeling like I was enraptured in a fantasy novel. For me, that's a good thing. The world was very unknown to me, and it was described perfectly. Not for the sake of description, but for the sake of showing the story.

The crossover between the different third person POV's was done so seamlessly, I rarely noticed it happened. And each character
Awallens
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
An abused and unwanted daughter of the First Men Tribe, young Kiin knows the harsh realities of life in a frozen land at the top of the world. In an age
of ice millenia past, her destiny is tied to the brave sons of orphaned chagak and her chieftain mate kayugh -- one to whom, kiin is promised, the,other
for whom she yearns But the evil that her own family spawned drags the tormented young woman far from her people -- where savage cruelties, love and fate
will strengthen and chang
Cecilie
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prehistoy
I got swept away by these books.

The writing is excellent and the characters believable. It's a captivating, sometimes stark description of a life led in a different time, where the culture is different and thus the way of thinking...

This reminds me of the "Clan of the cavebear" series, except that this is well written. And where "clan of the cavebear" is set in the ice age's fertile plains of central europe, this book, and the rest of the series, is in one of the earths harshest climates.. the
Vivian Ann
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves-only
My Sister the Moon is the second book in Sue Harrison's Ivory Carver Trilogy and I loved this book best of all 3 . Talk about a new tale and I couldn't put it down. Love and adore the entire trilogy by the way.
Brother Wind 3rd book of the Ivory Carver Trilogy does close the story in a lovely way. I like Sue Harrison's writing style very much,I say she's a true storyteller of the best kind.
I wish there were going to be more novels like this from her but she is moved into a different avenue
Vanessa Booksmymate
Read it during my Holiday, got it from a book-sharing-shelf in a Hotel.

This book started out really slow for me and I almost discontinued reading. Especially because of the characters` names and the (for me) seemingly repetitive descriptions of what the characters do during their days: fishing, hunting, collecting food, weaving....repeat.
But then I decided to go on reading and finished it, with the last 1/3 of the book being really exciting and moving. - Im thinking
Cyndi Chauvin
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book the second one Awesome book, well written, very spiritual, great read, couldn't put it down & couldn't wait to get the next one & then I was getting 2 books at a time looking ahead to the next one. Had to go to 3 different libraries to get them all in order. Sue Harrison studied the culture well & is a fantastic writer with a beautiful imagination & realistic about love & life & roads to take. Even the titles are awesome & breath meaning. Its like this ... M ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)
  • Thunder in the Sky (The First Americans, #6)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
Sue Harrison is the author of six critically acclaimed and internationally bestselling novels. Mother Earth Father Sky, My Sister the Moon and Brother Wind make up The Ivory Carver Trilogy, an epic adventure set in prehistoric Alaska. Song of the River, Cry of the Wind and Call Down the Stars comprise The Storyteller Trilogy. Sue’s young adult book, SISU, was released by Thunder Bay Press .

Ivory Carver (3 books)
  • Mother Earth Father Sky (Ivory Carver, #1)
  • Brother Wind (Ivory Carver, #3)
“A man is what he himself does, what he thinks, what he learns, his own skills.” 0 likes
“a man’s power is not only what he knows it to be, but also what others think it to be.” 0 likes