Start by marking “The Less Fortunates” as Want to Read:
The Less Fortunates

The Less Fortunates

A seagoing tale of courage, struggle, and never giving up.

Advisory: This book contains language and violence.
Kindle Edition
Published May 4th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Less Fortunates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Less Fortunates

Glen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A trio of teens escape from their foster kid home in Florida, and steal a boat. They land on a Caribbean island, where they learn to live off the sea, and grow up.

Not bad, but maybe a bit idyllic there in the Caribbean.
Alan
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. It is a fast moving tale of three young people who find themselves in bad circumstances and throw all caution to the wind in order to escape to a new life. In their hour of need they are befriended by a person who shows them there can be a better life. It kept me interested and the characters were easy to identify with. The writing style kept the story engaging and moving along. The ending was excellent and made you feel that a Savior can be anywhere ...more
Mandy Wultsch
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Three teenagers run away to find a better life. They steal a boat and sail into the ocean, only knowing the general direction of the islands they want to find and using only the sun and the stars to navigate. Stories of children or teens leaving home to find a better life or an adventure are not uncommon and are often the inspiration for many daydreams and hopes for young people. Some are even considered classics: Alice in Wonderland, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, From the Mixed-Up Files o ...more
Andrea Knott
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It's obviously geared towards a YA audience, but I don't think that should discourage older readers from enjoying it. I certainly enjoyed it. Right away, I was able to relate to the characters and experience their adventure right along with them. This book was part wild trip to an exotic location, part romance, part story of teenage angst. I loved the book so much, I started reading it over a holiday weekend and didn't stop until I finished the next day. ...more
Karen Gail Brown
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thee teenagers, two boys and a girl, escape from a Home for Boys and Girls without families, or with families that do not want them. Forest and Becca are brother and sister and the third teenager is Joey.
They have mistreated, especially Forest and Becca and they want to be free. So, they steal a boat and leave Miami, headed for some island, anyone they can find. They quickly realize that Joey's knowledge of sailing is minimal, and they have no provisions, not even water.

This is a short book and
Carol
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway. The story of young people searching for a better life is not unusual, but this story is full of adventure and kept me reading right to the end. You never know in life who will be your hero, and this book gives you a reason to hope for the good. I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
Karah Joyce
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO good! I read it in one day because I couldn't get enough. It constantly left you on edge needing to know what happens next!
Jennifer Bradshaw
This was an exciting story with interesting characters. The ending did surprise me. The only niggling glitch for me was the author's confusion between Bahamians and Bohemians.
Chaya Nebel
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway.

This is a very enjoyable read.

It quickly gets your attention, and keeps it. Fast-paced action, suspenseful events, structured very nicely.

Characters are very engaging and sympathetic -- we are made to care about them, what happens to them, and the choices they make. There's interest there not only in the characters themselves, and what happens to them, but also there's a very good dynamic and conflict between them that gives almost any interaction between the
Becky
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This book is special. Martin created a story I wanted to stay in. I was attached to the characters, their lives, and their world. could easily see myself reading The Less Fortunates again. It was heartwarming, engaging, and the action never let up. My only critique is that sometimes the characters' voices felt a little bit unreal, but it didn't detract much from the story. The writing style was engaging overall. I'd definitely recommend this book.
Joan Mitchell
A great book about how the underdogs overcame their former lives and won in the end. Although the characters had dangerous experiences they made it through and met a great older man who helped them grow into upstanding young adults. This was a great book. I read it in one day, I couldn't put it down. I recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Hayley
I won this book in a Giveaway, and was very impressed by it. It was a quick read, fast-paced, unpredictable, and overall a pretty heartwarming story. It's all about taking risks and making sacrifices for those you care about, as well as the consequences of our actions. I'd recommend this books to anyone who reads YA fiction.
April
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book a lot; the main theme of this was loyalty and friendship. Overall I really enjoyed the characters the most as I found them really interesting, which made me keep reading. The writing was also very good and I will definitely read more by this author in the future.
Sharon Chapman
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it is quite unusually but so enjoyable. You feel for the main characters and so want it all to be ok which until the last page you don't know if it will.
Heather
Brad Harju
Sep 26, 2017
Faythe Millhoff
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Wonderful characters, good story. Memorable.
Lynne Skyrme
Amanda
Mar 16, 2018
Jessica
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Soooo good! I couldn't put it down! Full of action, romance, blind faith and tears (mostly mine). I will be recommending this one.
  • No Man's Land: A Reschen Valley Novel Part 1
  • Weapon of Choice
  • 絢爛たるグランドセーヌ 1 [Kenrantaru Grande Scène 1] (La Magnifique Grande Scène, #1)
  • Mischance (Corsets and Carriages, #1)
  • The Baltic Prize (Kydd Sea Adventures #19)
  • The Portal on the Third Floor
  • A Practical Partnership
  • Pirate Island
  • Torpedoed!: A World War II Story of a Sinking Passenger Ship and Two Children's Survival at Sea
  • Spoiled Pink
  • Tailspin (Better Than You, #2)
  • Shackles from the Deep: Tracing the Path of a Sunken Slave Ship, a Bitter Past, and a Rich Legacy
  • King Daniel: Gasparilla King of the Pirates
  • Roll Back: A Time Travel Adventure
  • The White Boats
  • The European Discovery of America, Vol 1: The Northern Voyages, 500-1600
  • In the Galapagos Islands with Herman Melville, the Encantadas or Enchanted Isles
  • Escape Points: A Memoir
I'm from South Louisiana. I love the ocean, outdoors, playing with my kids, and good stories.