Start by marking “Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika” as Want to Read:
Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika

Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  569 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In this classic, a yoga master describes the techniques of breathing together with a comprehensive background of yoga philosophy in this authoritative, practical and indispensable guide.
Published 1992 by Aquarian Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Light on Pranayama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light on Pranayama

Dennis Littrell
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Review to come. (If I can find it.) As I recall having read this many years ago...it is worth reading as is anything from B.K.S. Iyengar one of the great teachers of yoga.

Random recall: There is a movie by the great French director Louis Malle called "Phantom India" from 1969 in which he films the not yet famous Iyengar teaching yoga.
secondwomn
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, 2011
took me a long while, but i finally finished reading Iyengar's guide to pranayama practice. exceptionally detailed and full of examples and metaphors to describe experiences. it's a fairly practical guide, and a good resource.
Kimz Zahour
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
You would not believe what a struggle it’s been to get through this book. It’s way over-due and the fines are racking up. :S
I would say I hated it and rate it poorly if it were not packed with so much valuable information… but that is part of the problem. The subject of Yoga is so vast and integrated that it would be difficult to learn in depth just one of the eight limbs such as Pranayama without at least some mention of the others.
The first half of the book attempts to nutshell much informati
Kat
Mar 17, 2011 marked it as incomplete  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read all of the information on the techniques, only the introduction to pranayama and yoga. That had nothing to do with Iyengar, and more to do with me changing the topic of my final paper and focusing on other reading.
Jobie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Great book on Pranayama if you want a lot of detail and a breathing plan.

It can be a little tedious. I'm not sure all the information is necessary.

Makes a great reference.
Inna
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest books on pranayama! Sri Iyengar explained various pranayama in such a detailed way, that it should be easy for everyone to understand and introduce this beautiful practice to their daily lives.
Bernie Gourley
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students and teachers of yoga.
Shelves: yoga
This is B.K.S. Iyengar’s A-Z guide to breath and breathing exercises (pranayama.) It’s meant to do for pranayama practice what “Light on Yoga” did for asana (postural) practice. That is, it presents all the classic techniques, offers variants to meet individual needs, and provides the background necessary to put pranayama into the context of a balanced yoga practice.

Let me begin by discussing the book’s organization, and this book is organized to the n-th degree. There are parts, sections, chapt
Carol
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Outstanding read! Another example of why one should not judge a book by its cover or by flipping through the pages. I read this first of two required readings on the subject of pranayama thinking it would be the hardest to digest. It was surprisingly very easy to read. Great review of yoga philosophy. Anatomy and physiology is explained in easy to understand terminology and I was amazed at the things I did not know about the human body, specific to the respiratory system, and again reminded of w ...more
Steph
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
hard to follow sometimes... the first few chapters jump around and define a lot of sanskrit words that seem overwhelming. the practice instructions are more towards the back. i'm reading this along with a class i'm taking, so that helps make sense of it all. (and iyengar says to practice with the help of a teacher!)
Zaid Rabab'a
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parnayama the art of breathing
I'm in love with this art now, I love the training,examples, etc, some times its so hard to imagine the process by reading alone, Okay now for religious hundu why !!!! I'm reading something about breaking why should I have information about religious hindu every few pages !!! that's why I'm giving 4 stars

Sandy
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first third of this book was inspiring and I copied many of Iyengar's quotes into my journal. The remainder of the book was detailed descriptions of methods of breathing which were filled with
Minutia and beyond my yoga practice. Reading this book after devouring his "Light on Yoga" was a disappointment.
Jeuline
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
lil bit heavy.. extreamly detailed and could be clearer done which photos are "how to NOT do" and "how to do".. this couldve been done lots better. altho Iyengar has a fascinating knowledge that I admire, the book is dry..
Thomas
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best bathtub reading ever! For short baths.
Joyce
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one I read and re-read.
Sucheta
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! coming from a traditional Yoga guru.
Bryan
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
thee book on pranayama. WIll be on the reading shelf for years. it is so dense and thorough. a must for anyone interested in yoga.
Manish
Mar 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bigquestions
Why does he need to expound Hindu religious philosophies while teaching breathing practices ? while I recommend the book as a health aid, I could easily skip the religious BS.
Alistair Baillie
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all Iyengar's books I've found this one most useful in my yoga training and development
Cherie
A very thorough look at pranayama from the master himself; super detailed instructions, lots of photos, a must for any super serious pranayama student.
Max
Sep 08, 2009
Bernard
Dec 18, 2007
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (Kannada: ಬೆಳಳೂರ ಕೃಷಣಮಾಚಾರ ಸುಂದರರಾಜ ಐಯಂಗಾರ), (also known as Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar) (Born December 14, 1918 in Bellur, Kolar District, Karnataka, India) is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practicing and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has written many books on yogic practi ...more
More about B.K.S. Iyengar...

Nonfiction Deals