Start by marking “Murmuration” as Want to Read:
Murmuration

Murmuration

In the small mountain town of Amorea, it’s stretching toward autumn of 1954. The memories of a world at war are fading in the face of a prosperous future. Doors are left unlocked at night, and neighbors are always there to give each other a helping hand.

The people here know certain things as fact:

Amorea is the best little town there is.

The only good Commie is a dead Commie
Published October 28th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Murmuration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murmuration

Start your review of Murmuration
T.J.
May 05, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
UPDATED 1/16/17:

Murmuration has been released as an audiobook! It's narrated by Kirt Graves, who did the audio for Wolfsong. I hope you all enjoy it!

Tj

DSP: https://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/boo...

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Murmuration-TJ...

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/murmu...

All Romance: https://www.allromanceebooks.com/prod...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Spoiler-free review*

*3.75 stars*

I was pretty nervous about Murmuration from the blurb. What was this book like? Angsty? Violent? Tragic? I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it because I haven't been in the mindset to read anything bleak. However, after seeing T.J. Klune write about how this book isn't dark, I decided to give it a go.

Murmuration ended up giving me an interesting mix of emotions. Now, I'm always EXTREMELY conscious about not spoiling anything for my fellow readers. My reviews
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, m-m

➦It's really hard to review this without giving any spoilers... so I will just tell you my feels.

➦A romantic read about two guys living in a small town. Very very romantic. Also very strange. Somewhat confusing. And intriguing. At times even depressing. But overall - fascinating.

➦Mike is a book shop owner. He has been forever in love with his best friend Sean, who works as a waiter at the local diner. Mike finally decides it's time for them to be MORE.

➦But while Mike's love life does take a
☆ Todd
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

As they used to say waaaay back in the day on The Monty Python Show...

"Murmuration" was definitely like nothing I've read from TJ previously. As I began reading and was introduced by the prim and proper townsfolk of 1950's Amorea, one word kept popping into my mind over and over again.

Stepford.

Not in a dark way, really. Just more that actions were being somehow policed, either internally or externally. As if an unseen force was poised to swoop in at any moment.

Everyone had their roles in Amo
Sheziss
Beware of yourself.

Beware of the horse.

Beware of the birds.

Beware of everybody.

And everything else.

But beware of yourself first.

You can never know. The psyche works in mysterious ways.

Right?

Well, that was all sorts of spectacular.

There are moments like these in which I realize Klune is not just a good M/M romance writer. But he is a good writer. His stories show off a utter complexity formed with a layer and a layer, and a layer beneath, that they become a solid and bullet-proof cloth with app
Susan
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
BR with Tara

This book was simply brilliant.

I didn’t expect to like this at all. I’m not a diehard T.J. fan and I have disliked more books by him, than liked them (sorry!) (although he did write my favorite book of all time The Lightning-Struck Heart), so this is not a fangirl review (I kind of hate those reviews since they never say anything constructive).

But…. I LOVED this. Was it fluffy? Absolutely not. Was it dark? No, I wouldn’t quite say this is dark, although the end makes you think.

Mike l
Jewel
3.5 Stars

Have you ever tried to think of a word that you know, but can't quite find in your brain? How you can almost catch it, but it's just out of reach? That feeling describes Murmuration almost perfectly.

Murmuration is an...odd book. Yeah, odd. I have no idea how to review it without spoiling anything! And that is bad, because I never ever want to spoil the plot for other readers. But what can I say without giving anything away? As I read, I jotted down notes about what I thought was going o
Sheri
*hangs head*
This is hard. So hard. And no, it's not that kind of hard.
I don't want to spoil or ruin anything but I have to tackle this now....I'm going to simply tell you how I feel about this story.

I wanted to love this book. I expected to like it.
And sadly, I was left fizzling with agitation and disappointment.
Wolfsong just might be my FAVORITE book so far this year. This should be an auto-win author for me. No brainer than, right?
Wrong.
This book was a challenge.
Some might call it intrigu
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Unicorn Pile Review

“The very essence of romance is uncertainty.”
Oscar Wilde

True story! I was not in the mood to read this. I must’ve opened and closed it three times before I told myself, ‘let’s get ‘er dun. Daylight’s wasting!’ But that tide turned quickly when I realized I was only going to get one chance to read this for the first time and I shouldn’t deprive myself of the experience. I think that’s a testament to Klune’s writing prowess that I feel like his stories are meant to be experien
Suanne Laqueur
Updated: If you read this, and I highly recommend you do, go in blind. BLIND. Don't read the blurb, the reviews, nothing. Don't even read this. Well, I guess it's too late. Stop reading this and go read that. Blind.

Seriously. What am I supposed to do now?
Jenni Lea
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

How does one write a review of a book that they can’t say anything about without spoiling? I’m not sure it can be accomplished but I’m going to try.

This book was intense. A total mind fuck of a story that had me bewildered from the very first page. By the time I reached chapter two (which, by the way, was in Roman numerals thus adding to the confusion as I had to remember how to read them) I knew I was in for a serious mind melting tale. I had so many theories by the time I reached the quarter m
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
The despairing truth is : I keep trying T.J. Klune's books because his writing speaks to me and always manages to draw me in. I love it.

Yet again, the story itself leaves me with a sense of... non-fulfillment? Hollowness? I don't know. It just doesn't work for me and as always, I feel bad about it and that's so out of character because really, I read books I don't like all the time. Or, rather, often enough, you know? And it doesn't faze me.

Usually.

(but it does, this time it does)

I think tha
Elsbeth

*4.5 stars*

Well.... Let me think this over first......

description

This may have been the weirdest mindfuck I've ever read. Dunno if I liked it. I was on edge all the time. Quite frankly wanted it all to be over with. But my emotions were all over the place. So I guess, a writer that can accomplish that deserves 5 mindfucking stars.

I'll be back later for a proper review.
Pavellit
Such a psychological-mystery romance that I couldn’t stop thinking about it. What happened? This was......... This was was is..... This IS something precious. This is a magnificent story in the MM kingdom. Truly creative concepts from the cover to the final author’s note. Very very smart Mr. Klune. It flows and changes and spins around like a real murmuration. I’ve never thought about starlings,how they fly and move as a group. All flying together as one. It’s controlled chaos. It moves with pur ...more
True Loveislovereview
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, 2016
5++ Outstanding good!! Murmuration by TJ Klune

TJ's own words 'A love letter to the 50's'

I always have to prepare myself before for reading a Klune because....its a Klune....and that means no superficial read but a through and through developed book. You can expect everything...

Mike lives in Amorea and loves Sean. Yeah he is mesmerized by Sean
and Sean.... he loves Mike. Only somehow they never put it in words......

"It has only ever been Sean. It will only ever be Sean"

It's a s l o w b u r n one
Karen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let's ponder some words...

So in my ponderings some of the words that have gone through my brain have been...interesting, unusual, unique, disturbing, thought provoking, gripping, emotional, happy, depressing and talented (this one applies to the author).

I read this book and I finished it about a day and a half ago. My problem is how do I review it. I've been giving this a lot of thought...seriously a lot...ask my hubby, he's had to listen to my ramblings enough that he can probably tell you
Mir
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memory
This is my first book by Klune, about whom I've been hearing good things for a couple of years now. I was certainly impressed by the writing (although I felt the pacing was a bit slow, for my taste) and the characterization was interestingly handled given spoilery considerations that I won't go into.

It's always a risk, writing something with a big reveal or twist that the reader is waiting for, that the payoff won't be adequate, and in this case I have to say I did feel a bit disappointed in the
BWT (Belen)
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is what I would classify as a classic mind fuck.

mind-fuck

TJ says it himself, "It's the most romantic thing I've written. It's also the most fucked up. By the end, I will have shattered your heart and put it back together, even though a few of the pieces might be missing."

It has, to me, an almost Dean Koontzesque feel to it (from the '80's and '90's when they were still good stories) where you don't know what's happening, or why, or where the story is taking you.
Mike has never felt so small,
Chris
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok so that was something different ! I love that TJ explores sub genres and unique ideas - be it OTT humor, heart wrenching tears or emotions in many forms, he plays with ideas and allows his readers to explore the edges of fantasy and reality. So this is how I felt with this book - on the edge... like being in the dusk, not day and not night. I wanted, well needed just a little more at the end. My heart was invested and then it was suddenly over - I mean really ???? Surely a little more time
Chelsea
BIGGEST UNICORN GANGBANG! Not the book, just our reviews ;-)

Click here to have a look,

4.5 Hearts!

Please please please don’t read reviews with spoilers in them, it will ruin what is fantastic about this book. If there's anything you’re anxious about, hopefully I’ll put it to rest with this review (without spoilers).

I’ll be brief because I won’t be giving away spoilers and there are lots more detailed reviews out there. I’m just going to go through a few points that I generally like t
Robin Hill
I typically only read romances, and Murmuration is not a romance in the typical sense, but it is about a romance. One that shouldn’t exist but does. One that’s determined to survive at any cost.

I picked up this book solely for the writing. I have a mad crush on T.J. Klune, and his writing style fascinates me. I didn’t even bother with the blurb; I rarely do anyway. But, this story is out there so you may want to check it out first. Think: Pleasantville meets The Twilight Zone.

The relationship be
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Full Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher. This has in no way influenced my review.*

I've sat here for a while just trying to figure out how to start this because this is one of those books that's just... difficult to review.

I've noticed a lot of reviewers describe this as a mindf*ck type of book, but it really doesn't fit my definition of that word. It was definitely Twilight Zone-esque, but it was never confusing or shocking to me. And though I still wanted to know
Katerina
Just STUNNING.

“This is it, you know? This is how we end. Like this. Like you and me. This is our ending.”

Mike thinks, No. This is how we begin. Mike thinks, All that came before? That was the lead-up. The intro. This is our beginning.

I love you today. And I’ll love you tomorrow. And every day after. You’ll see. We’ve only just begun.

I’m real. Everything I am is real. Everything I’ve ever felt is real.

One of the most intelligent and beautiful books in a long time.

Full of melancholy.

And deep love.
Katherine Paredes
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Without spoiling anything, the ending hurt. I suppose it’s a happy ending but when you focus on the rest, you kind of wish it ended differently. I would say to go in completely blind if you read this, the experience would be better, and it’s worth the twists.
Cristina
Another 5-star read from T.J. Klune.

Murmuration is, in the words of its author, a love song to 1950s' America (and Americana, an idealised vision of a country that perhaps never was) and to The Twilight Zone - mysterious, intriguing, suspended between a piece of historical fiction, sci-fi, romance and psychological drama.

It'd be impossible to get into the novel's plot and characters without inadvertently giving away too much and Murmuration must be approached and read with no previous insi
Paul
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what it is about TJ's writing, regardless of genre and or subject matter, the majority of his work resonates with me and Murmuration was no exception. I did find the initial stilted and rapidly changing dialogue very annoying until I understood why, and that changed my entire perspective of this novel as I thought it was actually going to be my first TJ novel to receive a very low rating. Despite that I was still fascinated by the storyline and in the end everything came together.

T
Lisazj1
That was utterly unlike anything I have ever read before. I'm completely unable to say practically anything about it without spoiling.

I will say this. So far, for me, there is nothing that T.J. Klune cannot write. And everything I've read by him so far has knocked my feels right on its ass. This did everything to me. It was sweet and romantic and pulled my heartstrings just as much as, later, it horrified me. The imagination and complexity of the layers of story here was stunning.

I won't be forg
Silke
Another TJ Klune book I’m rating 5 stars and I’m not even surprised. This book is something different though. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read before and since I can’t form any coherent thoughts at the moment (because this book freaking DESTROYED me) I’ll just say this: even after reading so many good books by this author Murmuration managed to blow me away. It’s creepy. It’s insanely clever and original. It’s heartbreaking and beautiful. It’s one of those books that’ll haunt me for quite a w ...more
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
"I’m not very good at this."

"At what?"

"You."

"You’re very good at me. Maybe the best of all."

I'm not gonna lie. This was very difficult for me to read. I was constantly on edge and a lot of the time I just wanted it to be over. Until, that is, it was over. Now I just want to have a cry and read more.

Not your typical love story but for me it was a truly remarkable one. It's also going to stay with me for a good long while.

"I love you today. And I’ll love you tomorrow. And every day after."

Started
McGee Magoo
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Buddy read with my AWESOME friends, Brooke, Lisa, Elaine, Sita and Mia.
The Backlot Gay B...: Murmuration by TJ Klune 3 34 Dec 08, 2016 03:58AM

• Upside Down
  • Glitterland (Spires, #1)
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • A Light Amongst Shadows (Dark is the Night, #1)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • Project Hero
  • Damned If You Do
  • Heartbreak Boys
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories.