Start by marking “Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)” as Want to Read:
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  36,482 Ratings  ·  5,561 Reviews
In a galaxy powered by the current, everyone has a gift.

Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power—something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.

Akos is the so
Published January 17th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Carve the Mark, please sign up.
Elias No, the other YA author Veronica Roth. YES, OF COURSE IT'S THE SAME ONE WHO WROTE DIVERGENT.

Emily May
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
1 1/2 stars. Just.... soooo sloooowwww.

Let's be honest, I actually liked Divergent for what it was - a fast-paced, exciting YA adventure that demanded very little of me. Sure, a lot of the world made absolutely no sense, and I still find that whole "I'm Dauntless so I jump off moving trains" thing so ridiculously laughable, but I found it really entertaining. In this book, though, I spent the majority of it wondering where the actual plot was.

It's set in space, and I've heard other reviewers tal
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
It's release day, so I can finally talk about my dislike for this book! It's been a few months since I read it, so my feelings (and outrage) are no longer super fresh, but I'll do my best.

I found this book to be SOOO boring and difficult to read, what with the ridiculous character names and dull plot. I had tons of issues with the plot and pacing when I was reading the book, and I really had to force myself to pick it up. The characters were also completely one dimensional and a bore to read abo
thebookbitch
Let's talk about the elephant in the room: Sponsered reviews from booktubers who were paid to give a positive review and are completely ignoring the Racist Bullshit in this book. Now most of these Booktubers are ones with influence, aka, Jesse, Kat, Christine, Regan, Sasha - And all of them gave the book a 4 star rating. Which is weird in itself because there's also more Booktubers who signed a contract and gave it that same rating.

My issue is that they're happy enough to not talk about the Rac
Cait • A Page with a View
Goodreads doesn't allow sponsored reviews, so I had to take this down.
karen
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best YA fantasy! what will happen?

i'm going to review this without giving too much away, which seems to be the publisher's desire, since this is the first time i have ever gotten an arc that had this

photo IMG_8396_zpsfxkgc6pr.jpg

across every single page.

text blurred so no one yells at me.

DON'T YELL AT ME!

i am someone who liked the divergent trilogy. i even sort of liked those four stories: Four: A Divergent Story Collection.

but i am SO SO pleased that roth has diverged (ho-H
Meg
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-copy
So, I should preface this with a few key points. I work for a bookstore and received an ARC of this book through my job. All opinions are my own. This review is not an attack on the author, the publisher, or anyone else. I am also white, and I am aware this affects my position to call something out as racist. I find that it's helpful to raise awareness of problematic representation in the media we consume.

In regards to advance copies being sent out to reviewers, I've noticed in a lot of Goodread
Emer
Oh dear!! Where do I start?????

Racial stereotyping and cultural misappropriations.
Unflagged trigger warnings.
And a romanticised depiction of chronic pain (something that is very personal to me).

But let's begin with the writing. Wow talk about dull! The first half of this book was so incredibly tedious. The pace, the plotting, the world building (what world building?!?!)... It just dragged. It felt uninspired, insipid, unimaginative, take your pick! Was this book set in space??? It didn't feel li
Tehanu
Mar 02, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
After Allegiant I don't know wether to trust Veronica Roth. I mean, that book... that fucking book:

But let's give it a chance! Let's read the description:

"in "the vein of 'Star Wars'"
"a boy's "unlikely alliance" with an enemy"
"what they most desire: for one, redemption, and the other, revenge,"

Okay, okay! I'm in! I'm SO in!!

However...

2017?!?!?!

YOU'VE MADE MY INNER CHEWBACCA ANGRY!!!!

Listen to Solo, Veronica! Listen to him!
Ben Alderson
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I AM SWORN TO SECRECY, JUST KNOW I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
This book already has 70k reviews and ratings... fml.

This book is interesting not because of it's story (which is dull) but because of the circumstances surrounding it's release.

BLACK FACE

Every now and then a book comes along that presents some toxic ideas which are commonly seen in tons of books. But our GoodReads community turns into a hive mind and decides this one book is the absolute worst.

I can't help but feel that this book got unlucky. The Winner's Curse was gushed about despite it's
Matthew
Three things:

1. This book tries to YA too hard
2. This book tries to Sci-fi too hard
3. This book tries to world build too hard

I do give it 3 stars because overall I found it enjoyable, but the the things above distracted me so much. (Note: Lowered to two stars on 10/17/2017 because I thought I already gave it too and I keep thinking back to how much I didn't care for it . . . so, I had to drop it!)

YA - There is a general YA formula, but if you mix it in well with a creative story, it doesn't matt
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
I'd like to put a disclaimer for all the controversy surrounding this novel. I read this before anyone and didn't see the underlying issues everyone saw with the story until a few of my friends told me about all the explosions on social media sites I don't even have. I did still adore this story, I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I don't want to offend anyone by liking this book. I want everyone to know I can't possibly relate to these issues, but my eyes are open and I understand people are ...more

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Divergent Wars: One Force will define you.

Curious (and polite) people kept asking me if I was enjoying CARVE THE MARK while I was reading it. For the flippant response to that question, please refer to the opening of the song "Nobody But Me" by The Human Beinz. Or, you know, check out my star rating. (But my way is more fun, and you get a fun song out of it, too!)

I was one of the few people who did not like DIVERGENT. Part of that was the
Bibi
Jan 24, 2017 marked it as on-hold-for-now  ·  review of another edition
01/26/2017

Having spent the last hour reading through Review 1, Review 2, Tweets, opinion posts, in addition to the comments threads, there seems to be a whole lot of furore about this book which, I must say, now has me intrigued enough to want to read Carve the Mark.

A few reviewers felt the need to disclaim previous reviews, while some bloggers sought to distance themselves from both the author and HarperTeen, the publishers. My understanding is that one, the book has racial undertones, the aut
Khurram
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed with this book. Maybe after Divergent my expectations were too high, and it probably not fair to compare the tow although when a book is released saying the writer of Divergent it is hard not to expect a lot and compare the two. Also knowing Veronica Roth was a Star Wars fan and I am a Star Wars fan I figured what could possible go wrong.

The book is very slow then as soon as something exciting happens it is the end of the chapter and the moment is lost. Worse still in som
Sana
BR with the evil little pie. <3

Dnf @ page 88
This book is putting Maggie and I in a slump, not to mention extremely boring and slow.
Rose
Long review for a rather long read. I'm still struggling to figure what words are appropriate to describe the mediocrity and utter pointlessness of this book. My thoughts about it aren't as concise as this review will turn out being, because I only have so many words to fit in my review space and I want to illustrate why this book ended up being such a horrible experience. It's my worst read of 2017 thus far, though I considered giving it credit for at least the last quarter of the book holding ...more
Maggie
DNF @ 22%
Sana and I are bored and are being put in a reading slump reading this. It's extremely slow and boring and nothing interesting has happened. We encountered some of the issues going on and asked each other if it was triggering for either of us and since it wasn't, we continued. I do agree that this does have issues that can be triggering for people, so I suggest watching out for that before starting it. We also have read like 2 more pages since our last update (pg. 108) and stopped ther
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
What a person did when they were in pain said a lot about them. —Akos

Yey, I finally finished reading this controversial book. Before I even picked it up, I did some extensive research just because so many people were ranting about it. I watched reviews on YouTube, which were rarely positive in tone. Heck, I even saw a video wherein the BookTuber burst into tears because of all the stress this book had been giving her. Of course, I was quite moved by all of the drama surrounding the release of Ca
Simona Bartolotta
EDIT 11/02/2017/: Lowering my rating to two stars because holy moley, I already don't remember a thing of what happened in this book. And I read it, like, a month ago. This is Lady Midnight happening to me all over again. Is it my memory's fault or these run-of-the-mill-yet-super-popular books'?

---

“Growing up here really has warped you, hasn’t it?”
“Growing up here,” I clarified, “has made me see the truth about people.”

•I feel that a foreword is needed here.
First, I read the Divergent trilogy a
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
2.5 stars, rounding down because WTF kind of ending was that?

I'll just get this out of the way: I hated Allegiant, but I really liked Divergent and Insurgent. This is a very different kind of book. It's sci-fi. Set in space and on other planets. The people are basically human and look and act the same as us (except for some hard to pronounce names). In this world, there is a current that runs through everything. Some people worship it, some view it in scientific terms. It gives everyone a curren
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
By god, is that cover appealing.
Now let's pray the stuff inside it is too.
Frankie Lovely
2 stars
Uncensored review as always
And spoiler-free

Oh boy. This is not going to be pretty. I’m sure you have seen all the upchucked Haterade that the “controversy brigade” so generously spewed about this book before and after it’s release. So obviously, I wanted to love this book SO HARD if only to shove a raving review in the face of absurdity! Unfortunately, I can’t do that here.

*sulks*

On the other hand … I honestly did not see ANY of the controversy. Like … where is it? I have no idea. I’m sur
Alyssa
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
I liked the story overall! But there a few things that might seem minor, but are actually really detracting from the story, and I took issue with them. It was a good story, don't get me wrong. But I have some things to explore in my review that I just didn't like.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
Book One of the Carve the Mark series
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: January 17, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary
Amber Robertson
I refuse to put myself in a position where the likelihood of myself being triggered is high. I don't think the "kill marks" which feature in this book are okay. My friend Cait talks more about how they these marks can be connected to self harm. I was curious about this book but after hearing several quotes which feature in the book about these marks I am physically sick and disgusted. It honestly saddens me. I wonder how such a thing passed by so many ARC readers though.

The cover itself is a re
Natalie Monroe
Am I the only one confused by the blurb? What I'm getting is Romeo and Juliet, superpowers, and a thinly-veiled Abnegation/Dauntless showdown thing.

Too much, yet too little.
Natalie Monroe
"I didn't choose the blood that runs in my veins," I replied. "Any more than you chose your fate. You and I, we've become what we were made to become."

I feel like I could throw a dart in a bookstore and hit at least a dozen YA books with practically the same quote and premise.

The nature vs nurture debate is well-trodden ground in fiction, not just in YA. Is there such thing as fate? Are villains born or made? These are all themes that can be reinvigorated and made fresh and unique, but Carve
AleJandra
2 En una galaxia No muy lejana… STARS

"The darkness was pain, and I was made of it, I was pain itself."

description

Tenía tantas cosas que quería debatir con ustedes, que termine sobrecargándome, y al final ya no soy capaz de expresarme coherentemente referente a todo lo que quería decir de este libro. Sorry amigos les he fallado, esta reseña es un big fat mess, al menos encaja a la perfección con el mess que es este libro.

Empezare esta reseña con 2 pequeñas pero muy importantes declaraciones.

1-Mi rese
Andreea Pop
Mar 06, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love
Well, hello there, pretty book.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Carve the Mark By Veronica Roth - Restarting May 25th AND June 12th 2018 167 214 Jun 19, 2018 06:44PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Roth -Carve the Mark [May 24, 2018] 8 22 Jun 01, 2018 03:30AM
Play Book Tag: Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth 3 14 May 28, 2018 07:08AM
Looking for good ...: Carve the Mark Duology 2 10 May 25, 2018 07:31AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 3 May 03, 2018 07:08PM
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Seeker (Riders, #2)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Pitch Dark
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Now I Rise (And I Darken Series, #2)
  • Hunted
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Carve the Mark and the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection). Her short stories and essays have appeared in Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and the upcoming Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures.

Veronica grew up outside o
More about Veronica Roth

Carve the Mark (2 books)
  • The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Soft hearts make the universe worth living in.” 79 likes
“You want to see people as extremes. Bad or good, trustworthy or not. I understand. It's easier that way. But that isn't how people work.” 70 likes